Start by marking “The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #2)

The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe

(Welcome to Night Vale Episodes #2)

From the authors of the New York Times bestselling novel Welcome to Night Vale and the creators of the #1 international podcast of the same name, comes a collection of episodes from Season Two of their hit podcast, featuring a foreword by the authors, behind-the-scenes commentary, and original illustrations.

In June of 2012, the creators of Welcome to Night Vale began airin
Published September 6th 2016 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe, please sign up.
Caroline Volumes 3 and 4 will be released on May 14th of this year. They are The Buying of Lot 37 and Who's a Good Boy?, respectively
Megan Bockelman Bockelman It has episodes 26 through 50. It also includes a script of the live show "The Debate". (At least I think that's the name of it- there's a couple live…moreIt has episodes 26 through 50. It also includes a script of the live show "The Debate". (At least I think that's the name of it- there's a couple live shows and to be honest I'm not 100% sure that's the one included- but I'm fairly positive)(less)

Melki
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-sci-fi
Life is like a box of chocolates: unopened, dusty, and beginning to attract a lot of insects.

Welcome to Night Vale.

I think I enjoyed this collection more than the last one, though I'm not sure if it's that the writing is more polished, or if the stories are just more to my taste. I really enjoyed the segments about the mayoral race between The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home, and Hiram McDaniels, who is literally a five-headed dragon. This book also includes two of my favorite
Stacee
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This was just as fun as the first one.

The commentary chapters before the episode give a fun insight to what was happening at the time it aired. I loved that the various writers and cast members got to contribute.

For me, WTNV will always be best when listening to Cecil's voice, but these were a unique and different way to view the story.

**Huge thanks to Harper Perennial for sending me the arcs**
Stephanie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like season 1, but I love when they start doing big story arcs in season 2.

Tamika Flynn= life goals
Kayleigh Cantrell
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ゲイ
This book is just a physical copy of Night Vale, which means it's everything I love about Welcome to Night Vale without some of the existential dread.
Baker St Shelves
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Any fan of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast should read these books. The secret origins of the show are finally made public and all the brilliant scripts that start from the beginning all the way up to the Strexcorp saga. Even if you're not a fan, this is one of the better ways to get caught up quickly. However I still HIGHLY recommend listening to to podcast, which is getting close to 100 episodes! Worth the time! Only the first two seasons are covered in this book, but I'm sure the rest will ...more
Garvie D. Soren
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"We must be the heroes we look for in others. We must no longer speak in code, but in action."

This one was just as good as the first, and I enjoyed this just as much as I did the first time around. Night Vale is one of those stories that suffer from 'just one more' syndrome, and can have you still up and reading at four in the morning, wondering just what these guys are doing to make this series so addictive.
This was the arc that got me hooked on the whole series, and it doesn't disappoint in t
Craig
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
I hope the other volumes get released...it's so much easier to read these than to listen to them. I don't know why that is...maybe my mind wanders? Maybe I feel like it's less time consuming to read than listen? All I know for sure is that my fear of spiders is justified in NIGHT VALE.
Cam
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Night vale es una de esas cosas que llego a mi vida por casualidad y realmente no quiero ni imaginar lo vacía que se sentiría mi vida sin ese pedacito de locura e incongruencia y misterio que Night Vale y solo Night Vale puede llenar. Los episodios transcritos en este libro ya los había escuchado, algunos, innumerables veces, pero hay algo mágico en poder escuchar las voces de todos, los tiempos y las entonaciones en mi mente mientras leo sus palabras y encuentro aquellas joyas escondidas de pen ...more
Lia Ung
I'm so in love with Night Vale, and the people, and the stories, and the actors, and the writing, and the weirdness, and the humor, and the evil, and the drama, and the everything. Love it.
Alex Telander
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For perhaps the first time in history a couple of books have been created, written and brought together for every single conceivable type of fan, but you’ll have to read to the end of this review to find out exactly how. I am talking of Mostly Void, Partially Stars and The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe that collect all the episodes for season one (the former) and season two (the latter) of one of the most popular podcast shows in history. I am talking, of course, about Welcome to Night Val ...more
Sraah
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i love welcome to night vale. i love these characters.
Brigi
It was great to refresh my memories on these episodes, as I was less familiar with these ones than the year one episodes (those are somewhat calmer, so I often listen to them to help me fall asleep).

I even discovered that I've never listened ep. 39... it was a bit embarrassing. xD I'm hopelessly behind right now, so when the next volumes will be published, I'll have a lot to catch up with.

As always, Jessica Hayworth's illustrations are amazing and spooky.
Lauren
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a script of the podcast, which I am obsessed with from time to time.
Abby
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic installment in the Night Vale universe. I love going through and reading these podcasts over again, after having listened to them at their premiere. It's especially fun to reminisce about the first time I had heard the episode initially. The drawings and commentary are special extra treats as well. I'm sure we'll be seeing the rest of the seasons in book form. And I tell you, I'll be one of the first to preorder when that day comes.
Stefka
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For all those who need to ease into the podcast: read this. It's the perfect companion piece to the radio show. Of course, nothing beats the hearing experience. (And for all those who've listened to Cecil as many times as I have: you will find yourself reading it in his voice. People will stare. Only... are the staring at you or the Not-angel right behind you? Who knows!)
Pirl
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wtnv: V2 is as nostalgic and informative as V1 was.
I love this show so much.
Emma
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fantastic. I love Year Two, it's my favorite year so far, and reading it (and listening to it at the sane time) was just great.
Amy (Other Amy)
Blaine M
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe" by Joseph Fink & Jeffery Cranor is a fiction work that contains the script of recorded and live shows of season 2 of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. While season 1 largely focused on building the town Night Vale, season 2 tells of the corporate take over of Night Vale by Stexcorp. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys have the weird seen as normal and the normal seen as terrifying. Along with the scripts, there are parts before each episode ...more
Greg Kerestan
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best parts of my experience doing a show Off-Broadway was getting to meet some of the luminaries of the Off-Off world, particularly the writers, comedians and actors who make up the Neo-Futurist movement. I would travel back and forth from Pittsburgh to NYC by train, listening to "Welcome to Night Vale" podcasts for hours on end, then meet friends of friends of the Night Vale creative team, people for whom Cecil, Kevin and Maureen are not fictional characters, but acquaintances.

That s
Sam Wescott
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so this book took me forever to read, but I swear that is not a reflection of the quality of these stories. I love Welcome to Nightvale, but don't necessarily enjoy binging the episodes. They're lovely little dollops of weirdness and just don't feel right being mainlined back to back to back.

I felt the same way about the book. I doled it out to myself in little pieces before bed. An episode here a behind-the-scenes snippet there. It was delightful.

But, I also tend to fall asleep when I try
Leah Rachel von Essen
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Great Glowing Coils of the Universe, the second compilation of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast episodes, was a romp through the longer story arcs that began to dominate the second season.

Intern Dana is my favorite long-term arc, but while I knew what to expect more or less from the first season—her texts from the Dog Park—I knew nothing about how the arc would continue into season two. It was fantastic to watch her long arc of trying to escape the reality she was in and return to Night Va
Arnela
Ok so you all know how his is season 2, aka the second year of night vale podcasts [aka the year 2013]?? But where in 2017 right now, where are all the other yearly episode collections?? We're missing 3 of them. Tick-tock guys we ain't getting any young, and it's only a short while before the books come back to bite us.

Seriously go listen to Night Vale.

And if you have a hard time taking in information while listening read this and the first book of the transcripted podcast, have fish create larg
Rex Libris
I guess I just don't get why people think Night Vale is such and awesome product. The first couple of stories are funny and amusing, but after that it is the same shtick again and again and again. Trigger might be long dead and sitting stuffed in the corner, but that is not stopping these people.

"Worlds" like the X-Files and Eerie, Indiana were far better and often funnier types of adventures than Night Vale. I think part of it is because in those two shows the veneer of normalcy over the myster
Nick
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wish Goodreads had a more granular rating system, since this is definitely better than volume 1, but I don't quite love it. The reason is basically irrelevant to the quality of the actual podcast: I got into WTNV about three years in and, despite the huge following it has, I've never actually discussed it with anyone else. I don't really feel personally connected to it; it just kind of is.

By all means, though, Welcome to Night Vale is an excellent podcast, and these books of episodes are worth
peaches
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so i'm not even done with this book and i'm enamored with it. i love going back and reading things i've missed, or remembering things i love, like the first date episode. i have a friend who has adhd and has a hard time listening to podcasts, and has tried to get into welcome to night vale multiple times. when i told her about these books, she lit up. she's going to read the first one, "Mostly Void, Partially Stars" and then i'm going to lend her my copy of this book. it's a fantastic ride for t ...more
Benjamin Kass
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic episodes (Numbers esp) and good payoffs as the gears of larger plot developments began to finally turn. Definitely more consistent, and consistently better, than the first season. This is also the season when the format began to wear on me, though, both as a listener and now reader. The most amazing uses of form were always too far in-between. I think for myself, as well as for a few other fans, no matter how far we listened Night Vale ended with episode 49.

I enjoyed revisiting these
Myriah Crane
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, my-books
I love having these podcasts in physical form, it's not only convenient for finding episodes or remembering quotes, but it just feels better than having the story out in the void of technology.

I didn't find the introductions added a whole lot to the book, however, they took me out of the story and just didn't make sense to me. I would have preferred the episodes straight through without them.

Except for Maureen Johnson's forward to the book itself. That was perfect. Especially since I have purch
세기
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the unraveling of all things.
The great glowing coils of the universe unwinding.
I wish I could tell you more. Communication is difficult.
It is impossible, some say, communicating the idea of its impossibility to others.

It's still mesmerizing how they can keep up with all of these subplots and still make tiny references to iconic lines from past episodes. This was the major epic of early Night Vale and, after it, one has to sit and wonder what beautiful concoctions of weirdness will come
Kike Ramos
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fav
English / Español.

English first since this book is written in this langauge.

So here we are. This is the second scripts collection from the second season of the Welcome To Night Vale Podcast. This book is just that, the same scripts you hear on the podcast, just in paper. It has some amazing illustrations and some really nice comments from the authors but that's pretty much it.

Why the 5 stars then? Because I just happen to love this amazing and beautiful story. This is the season were the night

• Lies & Omens (Shadows Inquiries, #4)
  • Worse Than Myself
  • Dead Letters: An Anthology of the Undelivered, the Missing & the Returned
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems
  • Toil & Trouble: A Know Not Why Halloween (Mis)adventure
  • Wolves (Raised By Wolves, #4)
  • Vampire Haiku
  • The Knight and The Prince (Knights of The Compass, #1)
  • Grim Tidings (Hellhound Chronicles, #2)
  • American Gods: Shadows #2 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • The Orange Cat and Other Cainsville Tales (Cainsville)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • ヴァンパイア騎士 memories 1 (Vampire Knight: Memories, #1)
  • The Uninnocent
  • Escape from Spiderhead
  • The Cities of Dead (The Casquette Girls, #3)
Joseph created and co-writes WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE. He is a writer and editor, and the co-owner of Commonplace Books. Awhile back he moved from California to Brooklyn. Subsequently, events unfolded.

Welcome to Night Vale Episodes (4 books)
  • Mostly Void, Partially Stars (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #1)
  • The Buying of Lot 37 (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, #3)
  • Who's a Good Boy? (Welcome to Night Vale Episodes #4)
“Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not. We never are. But that’s not the right question. The question is: Are we living a life that is worth the harm?” 21 likes
“May we all be human: beautiful, stupid, temporal, endless.
And as the sun sets, I place my hand upon my heart, feel that it is still beating, and remind myself: "Past performance is not a predictor of future results.”
7 likes