Start by marking “Beyond This Point Are Monsters” as Want to Read:
Beyond This Point Are Monsters

Beyond This Point Are Monsters

At 8.30pm on the evening of October 13th, Robert Osborne left his ranch house to look for his dog. When he failed to return by 9.30pm, his wife roused the foreman of the ranch and a search was organised. It was the first of many searches covering a period of many months and an area of hundreds of square miles.

Evidence proved beyond all reasonable doubt that Robert Osborne
Published 1971 by Victor Gollancz (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond This Point Are Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond This Point Are Monsters

Start your review of Beyond This Point Are Monsters
Toby
The rest of us have monsters too, but we must call them by other names, or pretend they don't exist...

Margaret Millar's second entry in HRF Keating's list of 100 Best Crime and Mystery Novels is both a Simenon-esque courtroom rehash of the events that led to the court case and a darker study of the depths of the human psyche, thought of so highly by Keating that he was brought to write of her "Jesus, how well she writes!"

Devon Osborne's husband Robert is about to be officially declared dead,
Carla Remy
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 1970. Another of Millar's strange, not obvious, mysteries. The title refers to archaic maps, which do (along with a new map made for a trial) appear in the story. This is really about very Southern California and the connections between Anglos and Mexicans, There is a disappearance later revealed as a murder.
Iblena
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El titulo de esta novela, hace referencia al texto que en algunos mapas del Medioevo señalaban los territorios desconocidos del planeta aun no explorados por el hombre y donde no era aconsejable llegar por temor a caer en el vacío o ser devorados por bestias marinas...
Pero detrás de lo conocido siempre hay algo oculto, algo con lo que se puede especular, sembrar dudas, temores y alimentar también nuestro miedo a veces lo desconocido puede estar dentro de nosotrosy es que el ser humano suele ser
Dave
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Wowowowowowow!

Terrific mystery thriller, told with such a sure hand--and I felt that hand grip my heart tight when I was reading the last few pages. Closest contemporary comparison would be Gone Girl, but this is better, faster, realer, harsher (even). And more beautiful: the conversation between Devon and Jaime near the river; the story that Leo tells about Ruth and the cake; even the line about the grillwork on Mrs. Osborne's windows. Wow. Great title. Great writer.
José Manuel
Una novela negra con juicio incorporado en entorno rural narrada de forma sencilla, con personajes bien definidos pero cuyo final se ve venir de lejos. Disfrutable pero mucho me temo que en 6 meses no la recordaré.
Adriana
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
El libro tiene una temática sencilla y es de fácil lectura en general. si bien es policíaco no puedo decir que sea un libro emocionante, más que nada resalta el cuadro de una zona rural donde todas las personas tienen algo que ocultar o de que arrepentirse mezclado con la negación sobre los propios problemas y el énfasis en los problemas de los demás.

Si bien esta escrito de forma clara el resultado del libro es algo predecible y me resultó aburrido.
Ant Koplowitz
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Atmospheric. An under-rated writer, she wrote some good stuff. Look out for her.

© Koplowitz 2010
David
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting social commentary. excellent story despite somewhat 2 dimensional characters. most solid character is the story's victim. very cool manipulation of the genre as usual from Ms. Millar
Bill
Beyond This Point Are Monsters by Margaret Millar was originally published in 1970. I've been focusing on her work for a little while, having now finished 4 of her books over the past month. This one, while interesting, was my least favorite.

The concept was excellent. Basically it's been a year since Robert Osborne disappeared one night, suspicion being that he was murdered. But Robert's body was never recovered, just lots of evidence (blood for example) that something bad happened. His mother
Marshall Pickens
Read this one with my wife. I liked the trip back into a different era, but the end of it really didn't seem to connect to the rest of the story.
Kaion
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, modern
Six months into their impulsive marriage, Devon lost her new husband after he went for a walk around the ranch one night and never came back. One year on, a hearing has been convened to declare Robert Osborne dead, and Devon is determined to get through it, and move on ... Except as the testimonies unfurl, it seems there may have been more to Robert's life, and death, than she thought.

*Also: Can I just say I am loving the 1970s Avon Books cover art for their Margaret Millar reprints? So gothic
Ana Azofeifa
En audiolibro.
Nota real: 3.75.
Renny Barcelos
Well written but I felt nothing. It was somehow flat and a bit predictable and what on earth was that ending? I have no idea what that was supposed to mean ...more
Hannie
Doodgepraat is een interessant verhaal over een eigenaar van een boerderij die verdwenen is. Na een jaar wil zijn vrouw hem dood laten verklaren. Omdat zijn lichaam niet gevonden is, moet er een speciale zitting bij de rechtbank voor plaatsvinden. Als lezer volg je het hele proces. Gaandeweg het proces wordt ook steeds meer duidelijk, al blijft het een mysterie hoe hij verdwenen is. De moeder van de eigenaar komt hier na het proces achter, doordat ze een beloning heeft uitgeloofd. Zo kom je als ...more
Pamela
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I say this on every Millar book I read--this woman is fantastic. If you enjoy suspense that keeps you spinning this way and that until the final page (or many times, the final sentence), then why aren't you reading Millar?
Jose Moa
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-suspense
The mind of people have uncharted seas.The missing of a son thelong searching and te long trial for sate he is dead whith a surprisin and open final
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a solid, short murder mystery - not as thrilling or chilling as the back of the book promised, but still well-executed and with enough of a twist to satisfy the need for a shock.
Paul Secor
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark.
Alfredo
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novela-negra
Demasiado soft para mi gusto en novela negra
Robin E
Mar 10, 2013
Matt Jaeger
Jan 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Moving Target (Lew Archer #1)
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • Los puentes de Madison County
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • The Valley of Spiders
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
  • The Chinese Orange Mystery (Ellery Queen Detective, #8)
  • The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories
  • Blockade Billy
  • La niebla
  • La gota de sangre
  • Mile 81
  • Finis Mundi
  • Jack the Reaper (Hunt for Reacher #5)
  • Get Back Jack (Hunt For Reacher #2)
  • Deep Cover Jack (Hunt For Reacher #4)
  • Jack in the Green (Hunt for Reacher #2.5)
  • Jack in a Box (Hunt for Reacher, #1.1)
Margaret Ellis Millar (née Sturm) was an American-Canadian mystery and suspense writer. Born in Kitchener, Ontario, she was educated there and in Toronto. She moved to the United States after marrying Kenneth Millar (better known under the pen name Ross Macdonald). They resided for decades in the city of Santa Barbara, which was often utilized as a locale in her later novels under the pseudonyms ...more