Start by marking “The Doulas: Radical Care for Pregnant People” as Want to Read:
The Doulas: Radical Care for Pregnant People

The Doulas: Radical Care for Pregnant People

As more feminism migrates online, full-spectrum doulas remain focused on life’s physically intimate relationships: between caregivers and patients, parents and pregnancy, individuals and their own bodies. They are committed to supporting a pregnancy no matter the outcome—whether it results in birth, abortion, miscarriage, or adoption—and to facing the question of choice he ...more
Published November 15th 2016 by Feminist Press

To ask other readers questions about The Doulas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doulas

Kale
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure- I am good friends with both of the authors.

I love this book. It is an important read for all people engaged in direct care work, not just abortion or pregnancy-related work and activism. "The Doulas" is both a narrative history of the founding of The Doula Project and the genesis of "full spectrum" models of pregnancy care, it is also a guide to starting a doula/direct care service. This was an emotional read. Each chapter in the book details a specific birth or abortion proced
Maggie Mayhem
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Key Insights Into A Growing Movement

Maybe you’ve heard of doulas, but did you know that the role extends beyond birth? I’ve been proudly supporting all possible pregnancy outcomes and really enjoyed learning more history about how full spectrum care came about.
Katie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
reviewing for the fall issue of bitch magazine! must-read for doulas especially. reminded me of the most valuable work of my life. Its call is clarion.
Emilia P
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-books
I think I blocked on half a years worth of reviews because I was scared to review this book. Uh, I still am? Basically, it's about abortion doulas, those who care for, guide, and even sit with women during the abortion procedure. Which calls deeply into question the usual rhetoric around abortion that "it's fine, it's simple, it's quick, it's painless, it doesn't affect you, move along". So in that respect, it's fascinating and brave to be like "yes this is a hard thing" and "what help do people ...more
Jai
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I found out this book would be available late this year I wanted to rush out and buy it. Then it was discussed in a full spectrum group that I participate in as well. I really wanted to read it because I'm an aspiring full spectrum doula. It discusses providing care for people during an abortion, adoption and birth. It also gives advice for doulas in particular related to business, organizing and how to practice self care ultimately. Reading the book helped me to deal with my feelings that ...more
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-ficton, birth
Valuable as a reflection of the emotional labour and experience of being a guide to people at any point in the cycle of pregnancy and birth. It was massively eye-opening to hear first hand accounts of radical doulas. I think I expected a little more in the way of functional explanation, but then again, doulas are typically non-medical professionals. Really cool read, but I wonder if I would have gotten more from it if I were in an associated field?
Tarina
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. A wonderful addition to any Doulas library; the stories help to connect with the work, as well as teach newer doulas (like myself) what a snapshot of the life we are choosing can look like.
The Doulas is powerful. Necessary. A must read for anyone who works in or has an interest in reproductive justice.
Catherine
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, I think its helpful for those interested in pursuing full spectrum doula work as well as birth doulas. I would recommend this to anyone interested in reproductive justice and direct care activism and how they work together.
Claudyne Vielot
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a realistic view of a doula's various roles. I have a newfound respect for doulas and the book is so well written!
Liz
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was definitely an interesting read, but it starts to get repetitive about halfway through. Once I got towards the end I just wanted to be done with it.
jonny diane - Professional Wedding Officiant
As I've been both a RN et Doula for many many moons this was a great book to reconfirm that being a full spectrum doula to support all pregnancy outcomes for all persons has been the correct path for me. I feel that Mary & Lauren both were very open et honest about the reality of being a doula. I highly recommend this to any seeking an all service doula path as a guide as you travel. Thank you. I truly enjoyed the book.
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abortion
This book made me feel like I was in the Upside Down from Stranger Things. I have never read something to deeply twisted in my life. I have read a lot of books about abortion for my research, and am used to it- but this one got to me.
Kels