Start by marking “Best Worst American: Stories” as Want to Read:
Best Worst American: Stories

Best Worst American: Stories

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
These are the best Americans, the worst Americans. In these stories (these cities, these people) there are labyrinths, rivers, wildernesses. Voices sound slightly different than expected. There's humor, but it's going to hurt.

In "On Paradise," a petshop manager flies with his cat to Las Vegas to meet his long-lost mother and grandmother, only to find that the women look ex
Published February 21st 2017 by Small Beer Press

To ask other readers questions about Best Worst American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Worst American

Rachel León
Martinez has a really unique voice and these stories are masterful.
Anne Stevens
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The stories in Juan Martinez's Best Worst American are a delight to read. If you like Borges, Nabokov, Saunders then you should give this collection a try, because Juan likes those guys too, a whole bunch, yet has crafted a voice and style all his own. Some of the stories are very very short, and weird, and funny, while others are longer and more realistic. Here's the opening paragraph of one of the weird ones (Liner Notes for Renegade, the Opening Sequence):

"The original version of Renegade's o
Cheryl Montgomery-Nolan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. It is off the wall and different, like peeking into the mind of the author and appreciating what you see there. There are 24 diverse stories. And I loved the stream of consciousness writing style!
Kendra
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Hilarious, dreamy, heartfelt and surreal. Martinez's writing is deft and delicious as it ferries the reader into and out of landscapes fantastical, fantastic, and plain bizarre, populated by sad men and beautiful women, Japanese ghosts, and every sort of lost soul. Recommended for fans of Etgar Keret, Kelly Link and George Saunders.
J.N. Cameron
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Juan Martinez is the Juan Martinez of our generation! This collection of short fiction is enthralling and brilliant. You will want to read these stories over and over again. When does his next book come out?

We want more Juan Martinez!
Tuck
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, spain
Funny, absurd, and a little surreal short stories of a young and restless colombian in usa with lots of winks and shout outs to literature you may love.
Tyler Barton
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a story in this that I have read probably twelve times this year, called The Women Who Talk to Themselves. Go read it and then let's talk about it. I love this book, but especially the first 10 stories over the last half of the book.
Matt
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fun collection of odd shorts. The first third of so, I had the sense that Martinez was mostly interested in wringing humor from being a sad sack-- there seems to be a character or at least a type who recurs in several of those stories who is heavy set, short and bearded, who maybe made a failed film once but who now works at Blockbuster. But there's a shift somewhere in here, where one story goes back to Colombia in the sixties and the collection opens up to this different emotional pal ...more
Christine
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An often very funny (and always imaginative) collection of stories. Juan Martinez is a terrifically inventive, memorable writer who somehow also manages to be profound (many of these stories are quite sad too).
Heyhansen
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Some enjoyable stuff. A little Borges. I liked it.
Christy Orwig
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book from librarything for an honest review.
I did not enjoy this book at all, it felt very disjointed and nothing really made sense. The story just skipped all over. I honestly couldn't finish it. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Olivia Clare
Karah
Aug 24, 2017
Liz
Mar 01, 2018 marked it as to-read
Chicago review of books best of 2017.
Megan Edwards