Start by marking “Nightlights (Nightlights #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightlights (Nightlights #1)

Nightlights

(Nightlights #1)

Every night, tiny stars appear out of the darkness in little Sandy's bedroom. She catches them and creates wonderful creatures to play with until she falls asleep, and in the morning brings them back to life in the whimsical drawings. When a mysterious new girl appears at school, Sandy's drawings are noticed for the first time... but Morfie's fascination with Sandy's talen ...more
Published March 14th 2017 by Nobrow Press

To ask other readers questions about Nightlights, please sign up.

Start your review of Nightlights (Nightlights #1)
Nat
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every night, tiny stars appear out of the darkness in little Sandy's bedroom. She catches them and creates wonderful creatures to play with until she falls asleep, and in the morning brings them back to life in the whimsical drawings that cover her room.

One day, Morfie, a mysterious pale girl, appears at school. And she knows all about Sandy's drawings...Nightlights is a beautiful story about fear, insecurity, and creativity, from the enchanting imagination of Colombian artist, Lorena Alvarez Go
Cristina Monica
3.5 stars. NIGHTLIGHTS is very, very beautifully-illustrated. In fact, the visuals deserve five stars. They are extremely colorful and detailed. You already get an idea of what they're like from the cover, because what you see is what you get.

Sandy is adorable. She is a creative little girl who prefers to lose herself in her drawings rather than listen to her teachers drone on and on about things she does not care so much about.

Her imagination runs especially wild when she starts seeing Morfie
David Schaafsma
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A story about Sandy, a little girl who loves to draw. She sees creatures, she dreams them, she draws them. Reality and fantasy intermingle. She often sees things no one else sees, including Morfie, a ghost who is increasingly controlling, menacing. It appears to be a picturebook, but is actually a short graphic novel. It appears like a typical picturebook, but is actually a tale of mystery and imagination, (light) horror.

The artwork from Alvarez and production from NoBrow is terrific, beautiful
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Like many other reviewers, I felt like Nightlights was one of the most stunning books I've ever read, but the story lacked where the illustrations excelled. I enjoyed the overall theme — especially the surprisingly creepy aspects of later story developments — but I felt like something was missing from the ending and I couldn't quite place my finger on what. That said, I can still happily give this 4 stars just because it was so stunning and, regardless of not totally "clicking" with the story, I ...more
Trish
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cute little story!

We follow Sandy, a very creative girl full of imagination. She goes to a Catholic school for girls with all its rules and regulations. When Sandy doesn't do homework (or if she's trying to escape one of her lessons), she doodles pretty flowers and plants and animals or whimsical fantasy creatures.
One day, there is a new girl in school, admiring Sandy's work and asking her to draw something for her. However, it turns out that not all is well and Sandy has to use her imagi
Kelli
Hmmm...what an oxymoron of a book this is. It is a picture book that is a set up like a graphic novel. It is a children's book that is actually quite sinister and scary. It is vivid/vibrant/bright/beautiful and dark/creepy/scary/confusing. I understand why my ten-year-old gravitated toward this eye catching cover. The cover features an adorable girl drawing, which is something my daughter loves to do. The beauty of the intense color, imaginative creatures, and realistic street scenes within cann ...more
Mir
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, younger, art, fantasy
Well done, if a bit slight. It seemed odd that Morfie switched so immediately to being obviously evil and threatening -- why bother pretending for that first day to be a friend? And since she had made friends, why not keep pretending and get the art without coercion? I dunno, I wanted it to drag out a little more suspensefully. The art was cute, though.

In a funny coincidence, I am reading at the same time an adult novel (Charles de Lint's "Memory and Dream") that also features the concept of the
Trudie
Beautiful vibrant illustrations in this children's graphic story / comic.
I picked this up as part of a reading challenge, one task of which was to read an "all ages comic". It is nice that the author is from Bogota, Colombia (as I have never read a children's book from there) and apparently this story was "influenced by the vibrancy and colour of Alvarez's home town as well as the experiences and atmosphere of the Catholic school she attended".
However, as far as a children's book goes I though
Calista
A middle grade graphic novel that can send shivers down your spine. The amazing thing here is the art work. It whirls and swirls with colors and imagination. It has an element of being cute and there is an element that is a chilling. The art work is amazing. The story has stuff to offer here to.

Sandy loves to draw and she has a talent for drawing. Sandy is lonely and looking for a friend. One day a nice enough girl shows up and wants to be friends. One day Sandy runs away from school and she fi
Maddie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is was the most beautiful graphic novel I've ever read! It's like a Pixar short on paper - Sandy, the main character, is adorable, the colours are so vibrant and the story is simple yet deep. I hope there's a second volume!
Alexandra
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
if i was rating this for the illustrations and colors alone, it would be a 5 star rating all the way. i LOVED how gorgeous and saturated the colors were and how beautiful the pictures were.

but the story itself was a little...underdeveloped? underexplained?

it was like a build up to nothing. and that disappointed me.

what even happened? :|

what was this even about?! :/
Alison
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so cute and beautifully illustrated!
I thought this was a really wonderful story about being creative and who you are but not letting others get you down, even yourself. I thought this was a fun way of making the dark less scary too and the girl was unafraid to stand up to her fears.
Really lovely graphic novel!
Cameron Chaney
This was beautiful! Nightlights is a short children's graphic novel with some of the brightest, most colorful images I've seen. It is truly stunning... but don't let those pretty illustrations fool you. Because just underneath is a very dark, spooky story. It took me off guard and I love when books do that. Recommended!
Sharon
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can't recall having read such a bizarre book in a long time! The cover and summary made me think this was a children's book, but as it went along and became more and more dark and creepy, this struck me as being more suited for teens. I was hoping for a resolution at the end, yet ended up disappointed. Nothing happened! I thought Sandy would try to escape her situation. But she didn't...she suddenly seemed okay with everything?!

If I'd been twenty years younger when I read this, I would never
Bee
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
THIS WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ARTWORK I'VE EVER SEEN.
Everything about Nightlights was gorgeous. I could look at each page for an hour, completely mesmerised. It's such an adorable story about art and praise and how when you start to let praise feed your passion, the passion dies and it was just so good.Like so good, that I would want some of the creatures permanently marked on my skin.
Mathew
Lorena Alvarez has produced a vibrant, yet sinister dreamscape of a graphic novel and one which resonates so much with the constrictive nature of a prescribed education and the apathy of our hand-held virtual lives. This is a beautiful and important story which celebrates imagination and creative thought....full review here
Charlotte Jones
This is by far one of the most beautiful graphic novels I have ever read and I would love to have some of these pages as posters for my walls but the story itself was disappointing. The ideas presented were intriguing but I feel that the author didn't take it very far to the point where it felt like there were bits missing.

I am in awe of Lorena Alvarez Gomez' illustration style and the colours used but unfortunately I found the story to be a little too lack-lustre and flat. I would recommend thi
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute stunning plethora of gorgeous art. This visual feast captures imagination, dreams, and nightmares in bright vivid colours. A beauty to behold which will capture a child's fancy. The story shows the awakening of a girl's discovery that her art is actually good and that she has the power over her drawings rather than the other way around. Beautiful!
Michelle Morrell
The story of a little girl with a huge imagination. A quick read that is notable for the GORGEOUS illustrations. Just lovely, and worth a look. Just look at how sumptuous this is!:

Zezee
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Author and illustrator, Lorena Alvarez, draws upon her experiences attending Catholic school in Bogota, Columbia, where she was born and raised, to create this sweet, whimsical story about a little girl who works past her fears and insecurities to keep creating her art. It’s a story that most people can relate to and that many kids will be able to quickly understand because of how simply the story is told.

The story’s message isn’t forced on the reader. Instead the reader is able to infer the sto
Ben
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A painfully adorable little book that made me squee more than I am comfortable with. I want every page framed and on my wall. The characters have a gorgeous, wide-eyed Pixar quality to them and the colours are dazzling. The composition and use of white space is phenomenal and really helps to make the story flow and I have spent a lot of time mesmerised by the pages. I would have liked the story to be a little longer and a bit more fleshed out but the themes of creativity and insecurity that run ...more
Elizabeth A
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-ya, graphix, art, 2017
This is the story of an artistic girl with a wonderful imagination. Young Sandy draws what she imagines, and the line between fantasy and reality blurs one day when a mysterious girl appears at her school. Does anyone else see her?

The art in this children's graphic novel is vibrant and lovely, and I really liked it, however the story didn't seem cohesive, especially the ending. There is touch of horror in this yarn which is quite appropriate for young readers, and this would make a wonderfully
Brooke
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Every night, tiny lights appear out of the darkness in Sandy’s bedroom. She catches them and creates wonderful creatures to play with until she falls asleep and in the morning she brings them back to life in her whimsical drawings. When a mysterious new girl appears at school, Sandy’s drawings are noticed for the first time...but Morfie’s fascination with Sandy’s talent soon turns into something far more sinister.

“Nightlights” is a very colorful and beautifully illustrated graphic novel. Howeve
Sunny
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Gordon
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
Nobrow keeps blowing me away with the books it puts out! Nightlights is a gorgeous, wonderful, creative book that is perfect for all readers. Sandy is a little girl in elementary who loves to draw. She imagines terrific creatures and worlds in her head, making them come alive in her dreams, and then she writes them all down so she never forgets. Her teachers don't quite approve of the fact that her head is always in the clouds, and she struggles to fit in. That is, until a new student appears, w ...more
Eva
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
An imaginative story about Sandy, a little girl who loves to draw. Everywhere she goes she draws the most wonderful creatures. She sees them all around. Reality and fantasy are inseparable. It's not always clear if she's imagining things, not to the reader, but also not to herself. And then she meets Morfie, a girl with dark side...

The artwork is incredibly beautiful. I can't stop going through the pages. I am not sure if this is a childrens book or not, but I think It can be read by children. B
Megan
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Absolutely beautiful art, with such detail in every panel and page. The illustrations remind me of films from Cartoon Saloon (Irish filmmaking studio that produced The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea). And Sandy's drawing of her interpretation of the universe during one of her teachers lessons on atoms was equally as beautiful and meaningful as the rest of Lorena Alvarez's illustrations. And I also appreciate the pi pronunciation guide at the bottom of the page for younger readers!
Hannah
Nightlights is a stunning, richly-detailed ode to the power of creativity to triumph over loneliness and self-doubt. With gorgeous illustrations that evoke the fantastic imagination of Miyazaki, Gomez builds an enchanting story full of sylphs, school troubles, and one adorable, pigtailed heroine. LOVE!
Angela
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raina
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, j
It's hard to find words to describe how stunning these illustrations are. Just beautiful work.

The plot was a little light for me, but that could have been my high expectations.

Coraline fans will eat this up. In about five minutes.
Ana Plancarte's Review #3 1 3 Mar 01, 2020 01:07PM
Gabby Castillo's Review 3 1 2 Feb 21, 2020 10:24PM

• Pilu of the Woods
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Stargazing
  • Snapdragon
  • The Okay Witch
  • Dewdrop
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Hilda and the Stone Forest (Hilda, #5)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Mooncakes
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)
Lorena Alvarez was born and raised in Bogotá, and studied Graphic Design and Arts at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia. She has illustrated for children books, independent publications, advertising and fashion magazines. Since 2008, she has been part of “La Procesión Puppet Club”, an experimental puppetry group of illustrators and visual artists.

Nightlights (2 books)
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)