Start by marking “Alicia en el País de las Maravillas (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alicia en el País de las Maravillas (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Alicia en el País de las Maravillas

(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  189,520 ratings  ·  8,107 reviews
Alicia en el país de las maravillas, es una obra creada por Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, más conocido bajo el seudónimo de Lewis Carroll (1832 – 1898), diácono anglicano, lógico, matemático, fotógrafo y escritor británico. El cuento está lleno de alusiones satíricas a los amigos de Dodgson, a la educación inglesa y a temas políticos de la época. El país de las maravillas es f ...more
Published 2012 by Siglo 19 Editores (first published November 26th 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Alicia en el País de las Maravillas, please sign up.
Butterfly_Wings8 No it doesn't but there's a separate edition for "Through the Looking Glass"
Liana I got a copy from Amazon UK and it's in English. I haven't been able to find the German one.

·  189,520 ratings  ·  8,107 reviews

Manny
"Good gracious!" said Alice, "I do believe I'm inside a review!"

She turned to the Hatter and the March Hare.

"Well, let me see. Here is the title, and here is the date I read it. That must be today. Now I need to explain the plot and the overall point."

"There is no plot," said the March Hare disagreeably.

"And there is no point," agreed the Hatter.

He poured a little hot tea on the Dormouse's nose, making it wake with a start.

"The book breaks new ground," it s
emma
my soul is healed.

------------

when I find myself in times of trouble
Lewis Carroll comes to me
speaking words of wisdom
"just reread"

------------

THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK.

No qualifier. No excuse. No “one of my favorites.” This one is it, y’all.

Well, also Through the Looking Glass. But THAT’S PRACTICALLY THE SECOND HALF OF THE SAME BOOK. (And other examples of my inability to make decisions or commit in any way to anything.)

I currently have 18 copies of this book. I’ve att
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*Reread July 2017*
Reread this for booktube-a-thon 2017 just because I was falling behind. Obviously I loved it (again).

*Reread January 2016*
Read for the school this time and I read the Puffin In Bloom edition. I loved the new illustrations!
Luca Ambrosino
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) / Italiano

«Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, “and what is tItaliano
«Alice ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
868. Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland) is an 1865 novel written by English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson over the pseudonym Lewis Carroll. It tells of a girl named Alice falling through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures. The tale plays with logic, giving the story lasting popularity with adults as well as with children. It is considered to be one of
Miranda Reads
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I should've read this one sooner
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
I needed an adequate amount of nostalgia to guide me through this level of crazy.
Little Alice fell
d
o
w
n
the hole,
bumped her head
and bruised her soul!
Everyone knows this story. Alice falls down the rabbit hole and into Wonderland - a place wholly unexpected, trivial and unforgettable. She meets several good
Chloe
3rd read: 22-23 July 2019 (Audiobook)
★★★★★
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Unpopular Opinion

This took me a long time to get through...I found it sometimes tedious to be quite honest. Sorry. I guess I just don't love the nonsensical fun of this as much as everyone else seems to love it.

I enjoyed the pictures and I really liked this edition and I enjoyed it well enough, but as I said, I just don't love it as much as a lot of others do.
Ilse
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk
Alice-Wonderland12

“Well, I should like to be a little larger, sir,
if you wouldn’t mind,” said Alice : “ three inches
is such a wretched height to be.”
“It is a very good height indeed !” said the
Caterpillar angrily, rearing itself upright as it
spoke (it was exactly three inches high).

Today, reading a friend’s review on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass, I searched the garden shed for an edition of Alice in Wonderland illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger which I read ages ago, to have another look at Zwerger’s marvellous illustrations. Sadly enough it has disappeared – I mus
J.L.   Sutton
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland a few years ago; however, I just felt like picking it up again and I'm glad I did. I don't know why, but I enjoyed Alice's observations and the humor more this time. There's also something that's fun and a bit surprising when we're reading something (like Peter Pan or The Wizard of Oz) we thought we knew really well (because we've been exposed to the stories for so long even if we haven't read the actual story). I know my ratings are alwa ...more
James
Having just finished Alice in Wonderland, the first thing that occurs to me is that I wish I had read it years ago. I've known the story of Alice for years thanks to Disney and the Mad Hatter on Batman, but for some reason I didn't get around to reading this as a child. While I expected to like it, I never realized what a joy this book would be.

Carroll was a logician, so it should come as no surprise that he uses his expertise in that field to create many hilarious logical fallacies. But what i
Johann (jobis89)
"We're all mad here"

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by giving a plot summary for this book as I think every person on the planet knows the premise. However, for the sake of completion and satisfying my OCD tendencies... Alice is a young girl who falls through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world, meeting lots of weird and peculiar characters. And that's it.

Well, the Mad Hatter isn't wrong. I started this book excited at the premise of reading a classic that I don'
Leo .
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why Alice! What Adventures you have had?

Happy, fun, perilous, enlightening, sometimes sad

A man, in a Hat, scatty, as a rabid bat

A Mouse, a crazy Hare, and Twins that are Fat

A Nasty Cook, and a Grinning Cheshire Cat

A Tea Party, a Catapiller smoking a Hookah, a Mushroom, one side makes her Tall

The other side of the Mushroom, makes her Small

An invitation, from a Fishfootman, and a very tired Dormouse

The
Aishu Rehman
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this classic. That I had missed while growing up. It has lots of lessons that are currently applicable to people in their everyday life. For instance, the Cheshire Cat when Alice asked him where she should go. So many people in life don't know where they're going and so they just settle on one arbitrary direction. Lewis Carroll is a master and his craft. Thank you
Matthew
If I didn't already know the story and the basic plot points of Alice in Wonderland from movies, books, and other pop culture retellings, I think this book would have been very confusing. I didn't realize how short the Wonderland part of Alice's story is so, despite the bizarre writing, it was a pretty quick read. In fact, if you are really into fairy tales, I imagine this could be a one sitting book.

The intro to the book mentioned this being psychedelic fiction. Having grown up freq
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Love the book! Love the cover! Love the graphics!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Irena
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
description

I think it was a good choice for me to reread one of my favorite childhood stories before I read the one I really wanted to: Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

When I was a little girl I LOVED the Disney movie and, since this book has some different aspects, it is no wonder I find the movie to be better.
However, it was still a really enjoyable ride everytime I read it.

</a
Emily May
I'm still not sure whether I think Lewis Carroll created a fantastic piece of fantasy or a great big pile of nonsense. I suspect it's a combination of the two. I like some of Alice's adventures - really, how could I not? - but Wonderland was always leaning a bit towards the negative side of bizarre for me.
Michael Finocchiaro
You may have seen the Disney film or been to a play, but most everyone growing up in a Western European-based culture has had some contact in some form with Alice and her adventures. I cannot recommend high enough actually reading Lewis Carroll's superb book written for his daughter Alice's bedtime story. There is a lovely innocence to Alice and a startling and surprising freshness to all the creatures and characters she meets. It does sometimes feel like an acid trip, but then so does Charlie a ...more
Stacy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, and being read by Michael York and a distinctive touch.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is popularly known to many as a children's book, and Lewis Carroll admitted to writing it for the little girls of the Dean of the college he taught at. A quote from C. S. Lewis, in The Three Ways of Writing For Children (1952), "A children's story which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children's story. The good ones last, because a children's story is the best art-form for somethi
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
I honestly dont know what to rate it bc I dont even know how I feel about this. I am bitter about certain aspects but then I wonder why am I bitter about them when I have clearly seen weirder shit in some other books? Why does this make me feel any different?
If anything this book encourages the imagination to grow!
I hate Alice tho...she's annoying than all the adults in A series of Unfortunate events put together!

------
Read this more than a decade ago and dont remem
karen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these are my favorite illustrations for alice...
Amelia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy reading this book.
If you would like a full review let me know!
Manny
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn Icelandic
[From Litli prinsinn]

[Original review, Aug 12 2018]

My attempt to learn Icelandic just by reading continues with the Icelandic translation of Alice in Wonderland, another of my favourite books. I've now finished my first pass and am going back to the beginning, copying it out and running it through the little corpus script we're developing. I've combined the texts for the two books. This lets me get a snapshot of how familiar the vocabulary is on the first page of Alice, which I've just finished copying out:

[From Litli prinsinn]

[Original review, Aug 12 2018]

AIUTable1

As you can see, a lot of words are in red, meaning I haven't seen them before. But many are in black, which means that I've seen them more than five times and so probably know them. I'm doing well enough that I'm able to get along and start guessing things. Here's what I can make of the first paragraph:
Lísa var að verða hundleið á því að sitja iðulaus hjá systur sinni í brekkunni. Einn sinni eða tvisvar hafði hún gægst i bókina sem systir hennar var að lesa, en þar voru engar myndir og engin samtöl, "og hvað er varið í bók," hugsaði Lísa, "þar sem hvorki eru myndir né samtöl?"

Alice was at become ?bored of that at sit ?idle with sister hers in ?brekkunni? One time or twice had she ?looked in book which syster hers was at read, but there were no pictures or conversations, "and what is ?worth in book", thought Alice, there which neither are pictures nor conversations?"
As you can see, I think I guessed everything except the mysterious brekkunni.
_________________________________

[Update, Aug 14 2018]

I am surprised to see how much I learn from simply copying out Icelandic text, and have been wondering whether I can explain the efficacy of this process in terms of some kind of formal model. Once again, I think that deep learning theory may help me understand what's going on.

First, let's look at a naive argument which claims to demonstrate that copying out text can't teach you anything, and see what's wrong with it. If you haven't tried it yourself, you might think that copying is a purely mechanical operation; you look at each character in turn and hit the appropriate key after each one. That's how a laptop will copy a file. But I am not a laptop. In actual fact, I look at the text on the page that's sitting in front of me and try to remember a small piece of it; then I divert my attention to the editor window and try to type out what I can remember.

If I didn't understand the words at all, this might end up being similar to what the file-copying routine is doing. But I do understand Icelandic to some degree, and the better I understand it the longer the chunk is that I can remember. If I'm copying a long word I've not seen before, I may only be able to hold a few letters at a time in my memory, and I'll need to look at the word two or three times to copy it out. But at the other extreme, if I'm copying a short sentence where all the words are already familiar to me, I may be able to hold the complete sentence in my memory and then write it down without looking at the text again. Since I'm lazy and want to copy as quickly as I can, my mind is tricked into understanding longer and longer chunks of text.

The curious thing is that this is pretty exactly much what an autoencoder does; it's a neural net that's trained on data where the output is the same as the input. If neural nets had a global view of what they were trying to learn, the autoencoder could see that all it needs to do is copy the input one character at a time. But in fact, the neural net learns in a way similar to the way people learn, by making little incremental adjustments in the direction of increased efficiency. They can never make the big jump to the minimal solution; instead, they figure out ways to compress the input into larger chunks. This is what makes autoencoders useful.

Maybe those dumb old rote-learning methods weren't actually so dumb?
Natalie Vellacott
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

From the genre of literary nonsense comes this classic work loved by children and adults alike.

As Alice slips into a dream, she finds herself chasing after a white rabbit with a waist coat and pocket watch. Apparently, he is late for something important. He heads down a r
Tracey
"Curiouser and curioser" said Tracey after reading this as an adult.
Everyone knows the story of the little girl who followed a rabbit (who was very late) down a rabbit hole, and found herself in a land of nonsense and strange creatures, like The mad Hatter, who is stuck at a permanent tea party thanks to an argument with time (the person not actual time obviously) and The Cheshire cat , who comes and goes and often only his grin is left floating about. But my absolute favourite is the mock turt
Nina
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
It’s been years since I’ve last read this book but it was once again a very enjoyable read! :)
Zenki the Hermit
This is the first book I ever read and the most nostalgic book I read this year. It was amazing going back to Wonderland <3
Angelica
I"m not sure what I just read. I don't know if this was totally brilliant or absolute nonsense.

Oh well.
Kyriakos Sorokkou
the author
Charles Ludwidge Dodgson to maintain his anonymity and remain immune to criticism came up with his pen name by translating his first two names into Latin 'Carolus Lodovicus' and then anglicising them to 'Lewis Carroll' a perfect example of his love for the playfulness of language, something we notice in every page of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland where a whole array of animals and eccentric characters parade throughout the seemingly non-existing plot.

the author

the adventures
"Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
Alice is bored with reality like every single one of us when she suddenly spots a white rabbit wearing a waistcoat and carrying a pocket-watch. She follows the rabbit into the rabbit hole and then she enters in a fantastical world where everything is quite the opposite from our world.
They don't learn reading and writing but reeling and writhing, a catterpillar smokes a hookah sitting on a hallucinogenic mushroom, the Mad Hatter and the March Hare have an eternal tea party, the very ugly duchess has a child transformed into a pig, a constantly angry "Off with her/his head!" Red Queen of Hearts, a constantly greening Cheshire cat "We are all mad here" and many more.

the language
I'm not going to spoil the plot or if you prefer the experience of reading this book which I believe loses a lot in translation since one of the joys in reading this book is the word play that Carroll was using. Experimenting, dissecting and stretching out the limits of language. Some mentioned Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulation but I don't want to confuse you or me any more.
The dialogues reminded me the non sequitur dialogues from The Theatre of the Absurd i.e. Samuel Beckett, Eugène Ionesco, the characters's appearances and landscapes reminded me a bit of Salvador Dalí's surrealism, and the whole witticism of the book reminded me of Eugene Trivizas's own kind of witticism.

description

I gave this book 4 stars the first time I read it (2010), still a newbie with English language, but now that I'm an expert I give it 5 stars. If you haven't read it, what are you waiting for?? I rarely laugh let alone with Victorian wit but this book made me laugh. That's a serious reason to read this book and of course its sequel!

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • الفأرة البيضاء
  • الراعي الشجاع
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Chaucer's Canterbury Tales
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights
  • Nutcracker
  • Mosses from an Old Manse
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxf

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)
“How puzzling all these changes are! I'm never sure what I'm going to be, from one minute to another.” 501 likes
“And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversation?” 423 likes