Start by marking “Steampunk Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Steampunk Fairy Tales

Steampunk Fairy Tales

(Steampunk Fairy Tales #1)

A toyshop owner builds a set of magic clockwork dolls that delight a factory town. A three-inch tall samurai faces a giant iron ogre with only a sewing needle and a coin. A scientist seeks an antidote to his formula gone wrong, with the help of his partner’s beautiful daughter.

All of these stories and more are included in Steampunk Fairy Tales. Written by authors from th
Published March 26th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk Fairy Tales

Start your review of Steampunk Fairy Tales
Orient
This book contains seven fairy tales with steampunk spices and some background, taken from older tales. I quite liked the tales, some were good, some worse, some had recognizable retelling and some were new (The Japanese ones).

The Clockwork People by Angela Castillo. What a light and interesting steampunk fairy tale. It reminded me of Pinocchio and Frankenstein in some plot features. It was easy and quick to read. The ending was heart-breaking.
Perfection by Chris Champe. This is my favorite. Bei
Stjepan Cobets
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
My rating 3.8

The book of short fairy tales, "Steampunk Fairy Tales (Steampunk Fairy Tales # 1)" although most of the stories are based on some already famous fairy tales, I in the end, honestly liked most of the stories featured in Steampunk Fantasy word. Fairy tale lovers who love Steampunk fantasy will love this little collection. A solid piece that fans of the genre should read.
Jo
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
This is a delightful book containing various styles of fairy tales, all set in a Steampunk world. I love Steampunk anyway, so this book suited my needs well.
I think my favourite two stories are "The clockwork people" and "Perfection" Both very different but equally captivating. I could almost feel a creepy kind of element in these stories, which is rather welcoming.
I think what I enjoyed the most about these stories, is that each one has its own very unique and interesting twist on an already e
Kimberly
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this little gem of a book by one of its included authors, Ashley Capes. Thanks to Ashley, my evening was full of delight at having read this.

This is a short and sweet compilation of Steampunk Fairy Tales. Its up to the reader, to figure out which fairy tale each story most resembles.
I would love to have read fuller stories of each one, they were all so very good. The authors included here were fantastic and deff not their first rodeos.
My total favorite was Perfection by Chris Champe
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, deleted
Interesting concept. Uncommon fairy tales picked and twisted to fit the world of steampunk. Very short read recommended to those who enjoy the Brothers Grimm or the stories of childhood as well as those who like the fantasy of a robotic Victorian period-perfect stories

2017 Reading Challenge: steampunk
Melissa Coleman
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love anything Steampunk and this book of tales certainly had all the elements. I really enjoyed The Copper Eyes. The descriptions of the mechanical creatures, their eyes and the way they looked made me want to turn the page. Thanks for a great read!
Heather Hayden
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Given that I love both fairy tale retellings and steampunk, I was excited to read this anthology, and it didn’t disappoint!

I should give a brief disclaimer before I continue with this review… I do know some of the authors published in this book, but they are casual acquaintances and no one solicited this book review. I’m reviewing it because I enjoyed the anthology and wanted to let more people know about it.

The anthology contains seven fairy tale retellings, each one of a different tale, some m
Diana Parparita
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, fairy-tale
These seven fairy tale retellings with a steampunk setting are generally dark. The feeling is more of fairy tale than of steampunk, in spite of the gadgets. If you like your steampunk to be upbeat, then these stories might not be for you. Also, the stories themselves are quite short, with the "About the author" section taking up about 20% of the book. In spite of this, the first three stories are so beautiful that I would have given the book 5 stars if I would have liked all the stories as much.
Anniken Haga
I got this for free on Kindle, but I've come to not expect much from free books. That's why it was such a pleasent surprise that most of these novellas were both OK and good — see individual reviews below. Unfortunatly, those that were bad were really bad, and pulled down the rating a lot.
Despite that, I was impressed by many of them, but that may be because I realized the original stories and that way felt the shorts were finished, which is often a problem for me

The Clockwork People by Angela
H.L. Burke
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This anthology gives you a good mix of stories and styles, from a little bit of Gothic feel to a few that are more old fashioned fairy tale or adventure. While there weren't any major clunkers, not all of them particularly resonated with me, and if I do have one complaint for the anthology as a whole, I think they could've skewed the anthology a little more up beat. Not that all stories have to have happy endings, but the over all tone was perhaps a little darker and more cynical than I would've ...more
Elise Edmonds
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Classic fairy tales with a steampunk twist. Great read. My favourite was 'Perfection'. Interesting to see the inclusion of two Japanese fairy tales as well as some more traditional tales.
Clay Davis
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice twist on some classic fairy tales.
rebecca
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute

Pacing was a little off on all of the stories, either ended a few in story minutes too soon or too late.
Angel Leya
This was a neat anthology. It was interesting to see how people took fairytales and turned them on their head with steampunk elements. I think my favorites were The Mech Oni And the Three-Inch Tinkerer by Leslie Anderson and David T. Allen and The Copper Eyes by Allison Latzko.

But overall, I think I was expecting these fairytales to be a little more . . . happy? These were overall kind of dark, more of the Grimm variety than Disney. Which is fine, just not what I was expecting. Not that every st
Clock
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. I just finished it, and I think that my favorite story in it was Aubrey in the World Above by Daniel Lind. But overall, the fact that these stories are based off original fairy tales and remade to fit in a steampunk world is absolutely amazing. I am extremely fascinated by the style of steampunk and these re-written stories, some of which I can remember from my childhood, are exactly the kind of stories that I have been looking for. I could identify the fairy tales ...more
Debbie Phillips
I was surprised to have actually liked this book. Not a lot. But more than I thought I would.

I entered a reading challenge for 2017. You can find it at my link text if you are interested in checking it out and/or joining in.

I read this book to satisfy one of the reading challenge prompts - A Steampunk Novel.

One of the nice things about this group challenge is that there are discussion topics for the different prompts and people add comments about the books they are planning to read or just book
Dakota
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
not bad I like it. Various fairy tales retold in a steampunk world.

1. The Clockwork People (view spoiler) poignant
2. Perfection (view spoiler) a bit of a twist here but the storytelling was nice and creepy at the same time .
3. The Mech Oni and the Three-Inch-Tinkerer (view spoiler) ending was a bit different but mostly followed the original story with steamp
Chasity Nicole
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it

I love steampunk and was excited when I found this amazing collection. And the collection held up to being amazing and exactly what I wanted.

Each tale was wonderfully done and left you craving the next. And I absolutely love how at the end each writer described what story there study was derived from because some I wasn't sure if as I was reading through. I think them telling this at the end was a brilliant idea and I'm glad they did because it allowed the readers to learn abo
Shannan
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light, fairy-tales, spooky
To be fair, I've never before read a steampunk book, so I took up this particular anthology as a way to introduce me to the genre. While these stories were all intriguing and very unique retellings of some lesser known fairy tales, if this is what the steampunk genre is usually like, then I think it's just not for me. I found the environments of all the stories very dank and depressing - not places I would want to live in, let alone visit, so it was a little difficult to get myself through all t ...more
A.J. Flowers
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Creative and Thoughtful

What I loved most about this was each story is a unique twist on an existing fairytale. I enjoyed guessing if I knew the fairytale inspiration which I could confirm at the end of the book. An enjoyable read and a fun, educational game!
Amelia Nichole Defield
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*Indiecember Novella*
An eclectic anthology of steampunk fairy tales! I loved Mech Oni and the Clockwork Children. Perfection had a shocking twist and a real mad scientist feel.
Ann
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well Written, With Appeal For Target Audience.

These were simple tales in the tradition of folk tale writers like the Grimm brothers. The synopsis was very clear that these were retellings of traditional tales, but with the addition of steampunk elements. I’m not sure what other readers expected, but the tales were faithful to the style of the chosen original tales and were what I expected. If you choose a book of folk tales, then don’t expect long stories with sophisticated plots.

All of the sto
Jolyn
Well-told fairy tales although a little dark for my personal taste

The collection of fairy tales in this book are well told and only a couple are tales I was familiar with. I will not say what tales they were because the prologue encourages the reader to guess which tales are being re-told and then check their guesses at the end (I only guessed 2 of the 7 tales correctly).

Most of the stories were rather darker than I like but the same is true of almost every Grimm's version fairy take - give me D
Ambrose Hall
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a very enjoyable collection of steampunk fairy tale retellings. There's a real variety of tone and subject. "Clockwork People" by Angela Castillo has a lovely traditional fairy tale feel to it and a lighter tone to some of the others. "Perfection" by Chris Champe is much darker, with more of a steam punk feel than fairy tale, but very thoughtfully written with an excellent twist. "The Yellow Butterfly" is a very sad tale, but poignant and lyrical, with haiku woven through. Those three we ...more
Kellie
Another I had good hopes for, but it didn't quite work out. Most of these I didn't enjoy much, mostly because I wasn't familiar with the original tales they were based on. The steampunk aspect was interesting, but most felt "forced". I enjoyed "The Clockwork People" the most, even though I knew where it was headed. The take on Beauty and the Beast was different, but I mistook it initially for a Jekyll and Hyde story. I have the second volume, and the stories actually sound better in that one, so ...more
Gary &
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Steampunk? Really more depressing.

I didn't expect hopelessness from steampunk. In works I have read before I found the energy of facination, hope for the future, a desire to improve the world and with some struggle to pull away from past.

Most of these stories were about evil and oppression. They definitely did not leave you with anything positive. I hope the genre is not trending this way.

Some of the writing was good but others still needed a good deal of improvement. I hope they will all conti
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I liked it. It's often more difficult to write short fairy tales than it is to write longer novels, and this collection was really fun. I liked that the stories were often based on somewhat more obscure fairy tales, though I recognized a few of them. It made for something fresh and intriguing.

The collection was shorter than I realized, and I got through it very quickly. I do look forward to reading the other collections.
Kristi
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Too short

Very short tales. Each ends almost abruptly and I had to sit and ponder what they were trying to say happened at the end. I recognized some elements of original fairytales but they were greatly adapted - not just setting, but also story. I wish they were longer so I could better puzzle through the adaptation messages. I am glad the end of the collection tells the reader the names of the original fairy tale with each of the steampunk tale. I adds clarification.
Peter Fox
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the second Steampunk book that I had read and I found it fascinating. There was a lot of thought in the development of the plots throughout the different stories.
This was bought with the intention of enjoying the different genre of Steampunk and especially the use of blending in the genre of fairy tale and it worked.
Worth buying, worth reading and drift off into the land of make believe for a few hours.
Tania
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Transforming tales

This book takes a fresh look at some classic fairy tales, reimagining them in a more modern world than the originals. I won't say which ones are included because the book makes a guessing game out of it and reveals the answers at the end. I did enjoy the twists the authors put on the retelling. Short and sweet, this is an enjoyable collection.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add this anthology to our collection 6 28 Mar 30, 2016 08:08AM

• Once Upon A Kiss: 17 Romantic Faerie Tales
  • The Tin Rose (Elemental Steampunk Stories, #1)
  • Burning
  • Curse of the Ice Dragon (Keepers of the Stones, #1)
  • Magic of Thieves (Legends of Dimmingwood, #1)
  • The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Demon Child (Clem Starr: Demon Fighter #1)
  • Perfekt Order (The Ære Saga #1)
  • Bad Luck Charlie (The Dragon Mage, #1)
  • Space Pirate Charlie (The Dragon Mage #2)
  • Missouri Loves Company (Rip Lane, #1)
  • Dragon King Charlie (The Dragon Mage, #3)
  • Dead Quarantine (Zombieclypse Book 1)
  • Hook: Dead to Rights (Captain Hook)
  • The Queen of the Nutters: And Other Odd Short Stories
  • Paranormal Nonsense (Blue Moon Investigations, #1)
  • Virtual Insanity
Leslie and Dave are Pittsburgh, PA authors and caretakers to three unpredicatble, and often demanding, mutts.

Inspired by the worlds and stories of David Eddings, Baldur's Gate, and Final Fantasy VI, they always strive to imbue their fantastical stories with a dose of humor and plenty of intrigue.

On the rare instance they aren't writing, they forge ahead on any of their other numerous obsessions, s

Steampunk Fairy Tales (3 books)
  • Steampunk Fairy Tales: Volume II