Start by marking “The Last Summer (of You and Me)” as Want to Read:
The Last Summer (of You and Me)

The Last Summer (of You and Me)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  29,696 ratings  ·  2,558 reviews
Riley and Alice, two sisters now in their twenties, and as fiercely different as they are loyal, have spent every summer at their parents’ modest beach house on New York’s Fire Island. Each year, they return to the house and community they have known since they were children—and to Paul, the boy next door. But this summer marks a season of change: budding love and sexual i ...more
Published June 6th 2007 by Riverhead Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Summer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alexia Hodge
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  29,696 ratings  ·  2,558 reviews

Start your review of The Last Summer (of You and Me)
Rekha
May 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adultfiction
The characters in this book all annoyed the crap out of me. I love you! I hate you! I love you! And hate you! It's a thin line between love and hate, yes. It's also a thin line between me reading this and barfing. They all deserved each other, which was the saving grace of it all.
Kricket
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
I'm only halfway through with this but I already have some thoughts:

1. If this had come out while I was in high school, I would have LOVED it. You would have seen me clutching it all moony-eyed for days. So when the reviews say that this is for the fans of the traveling pants series who are all grown up now-- no, I don't think so. I think it's for the young ladies who are just getting into the traveling pants. I like to think that I'm still in touch enough with my 16-year-old self th
Elizabeth
Mar 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Winna
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mellow-books
I cannot stop raving about this book. To me, this book is a gem that holds a special place in my heart, because it is very perspective, raw with emotions, and just the right book I've been looking for.

I am officially in love with the very mature way Ann Brashares explains her story. The plot, to me, is very simple, the way I like it - nothing overly dramatic, everything falls in place naturally. I love how the author knows each character perfectly - we can't just imagine how they loo
Kimberly Russell
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This might be the hardest review for me to write. I hope someone reads it. :)

When people ask me what my favorite book is I always say Pride and Prejudice, and that isn’t really the truth anymore. The truth is that The Last Summer (of You and Me) is my favorite. It has been for years.

I love Elizabeth Bennet dearly but Alice is where it’s at for me. I want to be her. She’s so kind and gentle and lovely. I love the dynamic between the three of them. I want to run to Fire Island and find my own Paul.
Christina
Jun 24, 2007 rated it it was ok
This is the author's "first adult" book following her string of "Traveling Pants" novels for young adults. It's about three people -- two sisters and their next-door neighbor -- and summers spent living the island life. Riley's the older sister, outdoors-driven to the point where she eshews "normal" relationships and activities with which others her age are consumed; Alice, her amazingly beautiful, selfless and smart younger sister; and Paul, the rich, semi-tortured (as all stereotypical rich ki ...more
Laurel Osterkamp
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
The Last Summer (of You & Me), by Ann Brashares (the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series) is an adult novel which tells the story of three friends/siblings: Paul, Riley, and Alice. Each is in their early twenties, and like the generation they belong to, they’re still on the cusp between childhood and adulthood, trying to figure out who they are and their relationships with each other and the rest of the world.
Riley is especially immature; at twenty-five she still m
Betti
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After reading this book, I'm just wondering why didn't I read this before ! It has been really long since a book had obsessed me to the point I can't stop reading it, and I can't stop thinking about it.

It's the story of two sisters, Riley and Alice and Riley's best friend, Paul, they have known each other since years. 3 years after their last meeting in their beach house, they're all grown-up and some relationships have changed... But then something terrible happens.

I only put 4 sta
Cheri
Jul 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
Eh. Definitely a light and easy read. I found her writing style somewhat annoying. I feel like she was trying too hard to be philosophical or sound intelligent. She's big on using contrasts. Over and over. She would write things like "She didn't know if he needed more or less of her. Maybe neither. Maybe both. Maybe it's always both." It got tiresome. I also had trouble feeling for the characters. Probably because I thought how they handled the situation was completely not believable and totally ...more
Sara
Sep 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: hmm...tolerant fans of the sisterhood series?
Quite a disappointment for me, as I've really enjoyed Brasheare's Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' series. Or at least the two that I've read. I have a high tolerance for frequently trod tropes if a) I really like the characters (for whatever reason) and 2) the writing is engaging and surprising. Unfortunately, the main characters make me want to hit them over the head with very large bricks - over and over again and I felt that I could see the plot turns coming several chapters ahead of time. ...more
Emilyandherlittlepinknotes
Is the plot really important in a book? Maybe for some readers it is, I usually expect a great plot from a crime novel but most of the time what really matters to me is the atmosphere, the dialogue, the overall feeling that a book is able to convey in my day.

I will soon turn 29 and I haven’t read the sisterhood series by Ann Brashares yet, I recently read The Last summer (of you and me) and I loved it (literally couldn’t put it down).

A brief regarding the plot: the book t
Angie
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-uns
In anticipation of Valentine's Day, I cast around for a good Retro Friday book to review. I wanted one with a compelling romantic storyline, but not one that was necessarily primarily focused on the romance. You know me. Then I remembered this beautiful book I read, oh, almost four years ago, and it struck me as the perfect one to highlight today. I never hear very many people talk about it as anything other than a beach read (at best), and I wonder if it just flew under the radar a fair bit or ...more
Lara
Sep 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
What an unbelievable disappointment. For those who don't know, Ann Brashares wrote the YA series The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, which I loved. How is it possible for the YA series to have been so delightful and the Adult novel to be so forced? I found the writing stilted, the character development weak, and my plot expectations unfulfilled. I read 113 pages before accepting the fact that it wasn't going to get any better. I skimmed the last half of the book just to see if anything else a ...more
Colleen
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Three solid stars. I wanted to like this book even more, but it was no Sisters of the Traveling Pants series.

You'll turn out ordinary if you're not careful.

Alice sensed that young children instinctively preferred the life inside a small house to a big one.

It was depressing how radically your priorities shifted when you were tired.

I was scared of the idea that I could become an entirely different person, a stranger to myself. (wanting a motorcycle w
Syndi
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
this book is dumb and shallow. i know this book is intended for YA. but this must be the dumbest plot i ever read. i literally have to skip many pages and after 50%, i just wish i can skip this book and put it on forgotten shelf.
Mya
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book ever. This book was my first 'adult' book and I enjoy it now more than ever.
Danielle McGregor
This was a 'nice' book. I liked the characters but didn't fall in love with them. The story was easy to read but provoked no real thinking. A quick summer holiday read.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quotes
What pretentious baloney! Listen to this:

His distress and pleasure mixed and married, giving birth to several anxious children. Maybe he shouldn't have come back here. But what else did he have? The trick was to have what he had without destroying it, if that was possible. Could you even do that? Every desire fulfilled was thus defeated. Could you interrupt the cycle? Could you make the world hold still?

What does that even mean?! Who talks like that? It wasn't just this one character either, the/>His
Adrienne
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this story on one hand I really enjoyed it but on the other it annoyed the hell out of me to the point where this could have been quite easily discarded and casually noted as DNF.

First off it's marked as adult...but it's not, really the only reason that it's been given that tag is because there is some love making and that is the only reason. Secondly the characters are all very immature for their ages (early to mid twenties) I don't know whether thats an
treehugger
I have to admit to really loving the traveling pants series, and so I was WICKED excited when a local bookstore had a HUGE sale and I could nab this book at 1/2 price. I sort of horded it for a couple of weeks and waited to read it. The cover was so inviting, I couldn't resist today, the second sunny, warm day of spring here in Asheville.

So...I started and finished it in the same 24 hours, if that tells you anything at all about it.

I didn't love the beginning, the characters were way too messe
Gina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ah, sweet summer. For sisters Riley and Alice, summer brings them back to Fire Island and the town of Waterby. The book takes place when the sisters have matured into their 20's, along with their summer friend, Paul, who returns after being gone for 3 years. As the author of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants", Brashares specializes in evoking strong emotions. This book - while sad in parts - will bring you back to the summers of your youth, even if they didn't involve a beach house, swimmin ...more
Patricia
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at the library off a display featuring "Bildungsromans" which, a helpful sign explained to me was: "a novel about the early years of somebody's life, exploring the development of his or her character and personality." God, I love librarians. Who knew that my favorite type of book actually had a name? And such a fun one.

I was also interested in seeing how Brashares fared writing adult fiction. Sometimes the transition between Young Adult and Adult Fiction *ahem,
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
This review is also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I found this book at the library few days ago and I was so happy about it. I've read Ann's My name is memory book and I really loved it. Unfortunately the same didn't happen with this book.

This book was such a cliche! From the title you can guess where this story goes and then when you read you have the whole picture, except the end. As always you have three best friends - two sisters and a boy. After growing up together their lives divide
Sheryl
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sheryl by: Angie
11/12/08
I never read (or saw the movie) Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants... but this book came highly recommended to me by my friend, Angie. I just love a good "summer-beach-friendship triangle" read. Summer Sisters by Judy Blume was one of my favs...so we'll see how this one goes!

11/13
Okay... so I am really pissed off right now... I was reading some reviews on this book and came across one that someone named "Jami" did not click the spoiler button (but instead typed in SPOILER - but you co
Paula
Jun 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Kristin Maceroni
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-25
I was sucked into this book from page 1. I read it during the Tigers' play off game, in the grocery store parking lot, and in front of the school, where I arrived 30 minutes early so that I would have time to read. To say that I could not put it down would be an understatement. I finished last night, through eyes glazed over with tears, and picked it up this morning to re-read some of my favorite parts. You don't need to know anything more than that you need to pick this book up and read it, TOD ...more
Zosia
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of, if not THE best summer reads I have ever read. A moving, passionate story of love, longing, sisterhood and friendship- I absolutely loved every moment of it. A nice beach read, it is a page turner and I devoured this book. Ann Brashares' novel made me laugh, cry and hope for relationships as monumental as Alice, Riley and Paul's. I will definitely read this timeless and relatable novel over and over again.
Amber
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my absolute favorite books. I re-read it every single summer. Its a quick, easy read, but that doesn't make it any less of an amazing read. Every time the story gets me and makes me a bit sad. I really enjoyed Ann Brashares other books when I was younger and this is one that I continue to read as an adult.
Jacqueline
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book. I thought it captured nostalgia and childhood friendship growing into new adult lives very well and really did enjoy the writing and characters. I'm surprised many people give this book lower ratings because I thought it was well done.
D'Etta
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is either the happiest sad book, or the saddest happy book I have ever read. Either way, I am irrevocably in love with the characters.
Book Review 1 2 Sep 14, 2016 04:30PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #53 The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares 1 3 Mar 01, 2015 05:08PM
What's the Name o...: A summer read about a neighbors at a summer house [s] 7 77 Mar 28, 2014 08:22PM

• Big Girl Small
  • The Summer Of Us
  • Folk
  • The Dark Web
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • The Breakaway (The Breakaway, #1)
  • Swim Back to Me
  • The Beginners
  • House of Prayer No. 2: A Writer's Journey Home
  • Shadow Baby
  • The Lucky One
Ann Brashares grew up in Chevy Chase, Maryland, with three brothers and attended a Quaker school in the D.C. area called Sidwell Friends. She studied Philosophy at Barnard College, part of Columbia University in New York City. Expecting to continue studying philosophy in graduate school, Ann took a year off after college to work as an editor, hoping to save money for school. Loving her job, she ne ...more
“Sometimes you couldn’t face the sadness of being forgotten until you felt the comfort of being remembered again.” 141 likes
“You'll turn out ordinary if you're not careful.” 111 likes