Start by marking “A Tourist in the Yucatan” as Want to Read:
A Tourist in the Yucatan

A Tourist in the Yucatan

Journey to the sun washed resort of Cancun and follow a young American couple, Jack and Josephine Phillips, on an adventure into the jungles of Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula.

Adventure turns to terror when Josephine disappears and Jack finds himself on the run from mysterious assassins, the Mexican Federales, and possibly even his own government. The Phillips have unwittingly
Published February 10th 2004 by Tres Picos Press

To ask other readers questions about A Tourist in the Yucatan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tourist in the Yucatan

Almeta
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Almeta by: MCT Group
Enjoyed the brief archaeological tour, Mayan history, and artifact lore. (Assuming of course that it was all true.)

(view spoiler)

I also liked never being sure of the distinction between the good and the bad guys. Who c
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun fictional read while I was actually in the Yucatan and seeing many of the sites mentioned in the book!
Jennifer Vogel
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Read this before heading to Playa del Carmen, Mexico over New Years 2007. The story is a bit silly, but I learned a lot about the ruins in Mexico as well as the geography of the Yucatan. It was nice to have a little history (from a fiction book, no less) about the Mayans, ruins, treasures, etc. I actually visited Talum while in Mexico and was able to relate to the descriptions from the book. Probably give this book 3.5 stars.
Sandy
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone looking for beach read
While not great literature by any stretch of the imagination, I give this book 5 stars for its originality in its genre--5 star beach read. I read it in two days, which is fast for me. I loved the idea of the thriller mystery entwined with the mystery of the Maya! I learned a little while trying to figure out the mystery.
Costacoralito
Mar 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible, quit

Not only was the plot unbelievable the characters were wooden and the dialog stiff and not to the point. This is on my top five worst books. I very seldom quit a book in the middle but this one was unpalatable. Highly NOT recommended.
Judy
Jan 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
This was an awful story. Clearly the author is incapable of writing convincing dialogue.
Rosie
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
interesting and educational thriller
Elizabeth  Higginbotham
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read A Tourist in the Yucatan by James McNay Brumfield during my stay in Cancun. I did get to the ruins in Tulum, so I have some sense of the terrain and the archeological work in the area. There is much history here, as this book written about 15 years ago is looking at a region that is not as developed as today, but had the beginnings. This is a thriller with drugs, murder, corruption and much deceit in two countries. A married couple on vacation in the region is caught in the middle of this ...more
Susan
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adventure, mystery
What a hot mess of a book! Take: CIA,FBI,"unnamed" government agents, archaeologists, tourists and drug runners and throw them into a blender. Add to that poorly written sex scenes and a protagonist who's about as dumb as a rock, and you have A Tourist In The Yucatan.Oh, and don't let me forget the 1000 year old Viking in a cave.
The editing wasn't much better. Anyone who substitutes "chalk" for the Mayan rain god Chaac needs to be shot! Very disappointing.
Frank
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good thriller.
Kara Jorges
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story begins with a bloody shoot-out on a ferry between the Yucatan Peninsula and Isla Mujeres, then moves to an idyllic, lazy vacation day with Jack and Josephine Phillips at their hotel. The ferry shoot-out seems a world away to Jack and Jo, who head to the mainland the following morning, befriending fellow American Stephen Potter on their way to Chichen Itza. They travel with Potter for a couple of days, until one morning’s headlines claim Stephen Potter is someone else—a wanted drug deal ...more
Jen
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
A man is on a boat in Mexico waiting for a drug deal to go down. The drug deal goes bad and he goes on the lam. Is he a bad guy or working undercover?

A husband and wife are on a vacation in Mexico rekindling their marriage. They hope to connect with their friend who is an archeologist but they find themselves in the middle of a misunderstanding about drugs and ancient Mayan artifacts. Will they kill or be killed?

Basically, this plot has been done a million times and is not original. But even wor
Carole
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, travel, fiction
At times a little clunky this novel of Yucatan was fun reading during a trip to the area. A story of a tourist who winds up being involved inadvertently by people who are on all sides of the Mexican drug trafficking issues, it involves agents of various government entities, politicians, and others.
Shappy Irwin
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having visited the Yucatan Peninsula many times, it was fun to visualize the places in the book. A fun read with a good story line. In the back of my copy of the book it says there is a sequel coming, however I only see one other book by this author.
Diane
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, both for the suspense and for what it contained about Mayan ruins - not that all of it was factual. I felt like I was on a trip to the Yucatan. Had to suspend my disbelief, but it was worth the ride.
Timeslife
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having been to that area of Mexico several times, I enjoyed the book immensely. The story was also suspenseful.
Tommyb
May 01, 2009 added it
Shelves: 11-21-2007, 6-13
Fiction
Peter
Sep 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Probably the worst written book I've ever read! It even makes an appalling writer like Dan Brown look like Marcel Proust by comparison.
Minh EVHS Nguyen
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Liked adventure of this book.
Glory
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"This is not only a super, suspenseful thriller....but it provides great insight into the treasure's within the Yucatan Peninsula"
Shannon
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Read this while vacationing in the Yucatan. The story is a little far fetched, but I enjoyed reading a story set in the area.
Anni