Start by marking “Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar” as Want to Read:
Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar

Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar

(Tales of Valdemar #10)

The Heralds of Valdemar are the kingdom’s ancient order of protectors. They are drawn from all across the land, from all walks of life, and at all ages—and all are Gifted with abilities beyond those of normal men and women. They are Mindspeakers, FarSeers, Empaths, ForeSeers, Firestarters, FarSpeakers, and more. These inborn talents—combined with training as emissaries, sp ...more
Published December 6th 2016 by DAW

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Final review, posted on Fantasy Literature:

Tempest (2016) is the most recent in a lengthy (like, around 20 books) series of light fantasy anthologies set in and around Mercedes Lackey’s well-known Valdemar, is a land where people called Heralds are “Chosen” (read: magically bonded for life) with telepathic white horse-like creatures known as Companions. Once bonded, the pair joins others in traveling and policing their kingdom against wrongdoing, threats and evils of all kinds. While
Ivy Reisner
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thing that seems to tie this collection together most is that half of the stories feel like excerpts from larger works -- excellent, but excepts none the less. Coming of age themes run through several of the stories, even the coming of age of magical creatures. Many of them are lighter, cosy tales. For some, the description, at least on Amazon, isn't entirely accurate, and I've noted them as appropriate.

"A Small Quarrel" reads like the brilliant first chapter to what promises to be a fabulou
Kathy Davie
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
An anthology of twenty-two short stories in a mixed bag of quality in this tenth in the Tales of Valdemar subseries as part of the Valdemar series.

Series
"A Small Quarrel" (Wil & Leila, ??)
"Haver Hearthstone" (Dann Family of Haven, 6)
"The Apprentice and the Stable Master" (Rhi & Dionne)
"Unexpected Meeting" (Perran and Levron)
"A Trip of Goats" (Lena's Animal MindSpeech, 2)
"Ripples and Cracks" (Owl Mage)

The Stories
Stephanie Shaver's "A Small Quarrel"…
…finds Herald Amelie having made good
Clare O'Beara
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Mercedes Lackey created the world of Valdemar, which has magic and telepathy as well as random mage storms, by now her world is well inhabited with characters created by other authors. Here's another anthology. If you have read one or two earlier books about the Heralds, riders doing the Crown's bidding, you'll enjoy this look at the land, and may recognise some of the authors. If you have not read any, the feel is similar to Anne McCaffrey's early Pern books with white horses instead of d ...more
Wyrd
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have read all the books and short stories Mercedes Lackey has published for her Velgarth novels, including all the other "Tales of Valdemar" anthologies. Simply put, this collection of short stories from her and other contributors was an absolute mess, in need of the help of a good editor and unfortunately Mercedes Lackey is NOT that person. This may be her sandbox she created, but that doesn't mean she got the best out of her contributors.

Case in point Michelle Lang's story, Sparrow's Gift. T
Morgan Dhu

Tempest, edited by Mercedes Lackey, is yet another in what has become a long series of anthologies of stories set in Velgarth, the world of Valdemar and Heralds and mind-speaking spirits who look like white horses and magic-casting gryphons and other marvels.

It's a fairly strong anthology, with contributors from seasoned veterans like Fiona Patton, Brenda Cooper, Rosemary Edghill and Lackey herself, and relative newcomers. Several of the contributors have offered stories which focus on characte
Pamela
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mercedes Lacey is one of my favorite fantasy authors and I was eager to read this anthology for a review. Some stories were all right, but my favorites entertained me and were great additions to this book, including Mercedes’ own story. Tempest has many stories in it, cozy ones and intriguing ones that will take you into Mercedes Lacey’s Valdemar, with different authors putting their own spins in this fantastic world.

Read the rest of the review at http://www.ismellsheep.com/2016/12/bo...
Lincoln Wert
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Honestly? The bulk of these stories feel like they're chapters in other stories. They seem mostly to be "middles" with no real "beginnings" or "ends" ultimately leaving me unsatisfied. Somr fun reads in there, but...eh.
Melanie
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***THIS BOOK WAS PROVIDED TO ME BY THE PUBLISHER BUT THIS IS NO WAY INFLUENCES MY OPINION***

Apparently this is actually the 10th set of anthology stories but I read this without reading the previous books and it worked for me.

Tempest is an anthology, but all the stories are set within the same world, just written by different authors. For the most part this worked well, but as with all anthologies there were highs and lows.

Some of the stories didn't feel complete within themselves, but if this i
Ayse
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
another great installment in the valdemar universe. I really enjoyed the emphasis on karse in many of the stories. Having just read another collection of short stories that I didn't really enjoy, this one reminded me of a collection at its best. I am enjoying the short stories more than the long form novels of valdemar these days. My least favorite sadly was the one by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon about the gryphons. These stories have never really interested me, though the other gryphon stor ...more
Madison
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tempest, All new tales of Valdemar edited by Mercedes Lackey is 22 short stories where Heralds of Valdemar bring order to the kingdom. Heralds all have a secret gift they are born with, like Mindspeakers, Farseers, Empaths, Foreseers, and many more talents. They are chosen in their lifetime by Companions, horse-like creatures that they are bonded for life to. The Heralds and their Companions ride throughout Valdemar, bringing peace and defending their land. In these short stories, you will find ...more
CatBookMom
This is the 10th book in the anthology series, though this isn't included in that listing (yet).

Part of what became a 6-book read-through, following the various stories as they developed over the years. Quite good, most of them.
Derek
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to be disappointed by these anthologies. :-) Filled with entertaining stories all over the timeline of Valdemar (and neighboring countries).

Susan
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any collection of short stories by various authors, some good, some just okay and a couple just meh.
Inferno Nightfire
Like all of the Tales of Valdemar books I loved this one.

I find myself going to past volumes and following each individual author's storyline as it unfolds, story by story giving us their particular view of the world Mercedes Lackey created. Some story lines had me going back to Finding the Way or Under the Vale, others sent me to No True Way or Crucible.

While I missed seeing a few old friends (Jem and Ree from the stories by Kate Paulk and Sarah A. Hoyt) there were new stories to take the plac
Hilary
A wide variety of stories covering the somewhat grubbier parts of Valdemar - Gifts being misused, Heralds in danger, retribution and vengeance, and far more - but somehow it all makes it realer. Each author has taken the core, the heart of Valdemar and stepped off the map in a new direction, broadening the world and adding more depth to both characters and plots. Worth a read by any fan of Valdemar!

(I must admit that I lost my notes, so this review suffers from more brevity than detail.)

Disclaim
Elizabeth
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
Reviewed for NetGalley:

A great collection of stories in the Valdemar Universe. I enjoyed catching up with characters from previous collections and the new stories too. Love these books.
Liana Smith Bautista | Will Read for Feels
***I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review, which was first posted on book blog Will Read for Feels.

I’m a long-time fan of Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series, and I love that this has expanded to include short story collections by an assortment of authors who clearly love the world Valdemar exists in just as much as I do. Plus, these volumes are always edited by Lackey herself and includ
Jennifer Green
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good anthology for sure, but I do think that I'm a bit tired of the Valdemar stories overall. It has been 30 years since Arrows of the Queen was first released. And I have been reading them fairly consistently since then.

Some of the stories, as in all anthologies, were good and others were ho hum. I was looking forward to the Lackey story at the end, but I found it a bit disjointed and confusing. Didn't help that I had to go look up who a few of the folks were because it's been that long
Maureen Caupp
I have enjoyed reading several of Mercedes Lackey's books over the years. So when I saw a collection of short stories by various authors but all set in Lackey's magical realm of Valdemar, I was curious. It turned out to be collection of fun, engaging fantasy stories. Some pulled me right into the world and pulled on my emotions. I wished they could have gone on longer. Others weren't quite as engaging to me and didn't pull me into another world as completely. But overall I found it to be an enjo ...more
Caitlin
These aren't complete short stories, but more like episodes in a longer story. Previous books contained reoccurring characters, and so does this one. For example, the story "Haver Heartstone" is about Hektor Dann, his family, and his home, and there have been several previous books with a part of his story in them. Which means, if you pick the stories up out of order, or start with this book, you miss background. Some work better as stand alone episodes than others.
Sandy
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It is always fun to see how other writers play in an established fantasy word and this book is certainly no exception. Valdemar has a rich history and worlds and characters to go back and visit or to create. There are some fine short stories in this volume that cover Herald's work, Gryphons, and stories before and after the latest Mage Wars/Storms. Really enjoyed myself on this one. Thanks to all the fantasy writers who deepened the lore that Mercedes lackey has created.
Jeremy Tassoff
I usually enjoy the Valdemar anthologies, but for whatever reason, every story in this volume left me with a 'meh' feeling. None of the stories were bad, and some of them had fairly good premises, but there wasn't a single story which left me wanting to know more about the characters or what happened next.
Karen Crouch
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A good mix of authors and styles playing in one of my favourite fantasy universes.
I love the way that some of the authors continue a story with characters they have built up through a number of these anthologies. I received this book and the next one for Christmas but read them the wrong way around, so it was like filling in the back story.
Erin Smith
Basically, this anthology can best be summed up as "all short, no story". Many of the shorts could make excellent stories, but they all basically just stop sharp just as they're starting to get good, with no real resolution.
Kelly Martin
Although Lackey is not place on the YA section, that is what she writes. Most of these stories were part two of the ones in her previous anthology. They would have been better if the stores by the other writes had been n stand alone books of their own.
Miriam
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I had fun reading this book. There were some great stories, some not so great ones, but I was just happy to be back in this 'verse.
Sylvia McIvers
I don't think these stories were bad so much as I'm just tired of the series.
Anna Marie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Twenty-four tales from the world of Valdemar, not all take place there but definitely all are relevant. Some are more interesting than others, and some will make you think about real world problems.
Martha Forward
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Valdemar short story collections.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Valdemar Companion
  • Horse Fantastic
  • Writers of the Future Volume 31
  • Mountain Magic
  • Worlds of Weber: Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington and Other Stories
  • Piper at the Gate (Heavenly Horse, #2)
  • All These Shiny Worlds: The 2016 ImmerseOrDie Anthology
  • The Navigator's Children (The Last King of Osten Ard, #3)
  • Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables
  • Silver May Tarnish (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #10)
  • The Wood Boy / The Burning Man
  • The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction
  • Grantville Gazette V (Grantville Gazette, #5)
  • Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3)
  • Loosed upon the World: The Saga Anthology of Climate Fiction
  • Walking the Clouds: An Anthology of Indigenous Science Fiction
  • Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers: Magical Tales of Love and Seduction
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Novellas 2016
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more

Tales of Valdemar (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)
  • Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #3)
  • Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #4)
  • Changing the World: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #5)
  • Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #6)
  • Under the Vale and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #7)
  • No True Way: All New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #8)
  • Crucible: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #9)
  • Pathways (Tales of Valdemar #11)
“Keep breathing. Exhale all the hurt and sorrow, inhale the untainted air.” 0 likes