Start by marking “The Tenth Muse (Aphrodite Project #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tenth Muse (Aphrodite Project #1)

The Tenth Muse

(Aphrodite Project #1)

In a wicked game, the God of Love falls to his own arrow, and a gentle scholar learns how dangerous knowledge can be.

Aphrodite has had it.

Published May 17th 2016 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Tenth Muse, please sign up.
Belinda McBride Hi, I'm sorry to get to this question so late...I guess I'm not getting Goodreads notifications anymore.

Yes, I'm working on an as-yet untitled sequel…more

Yes, I'm working on an as-yet untitled sequel featuring Herma. :) So far, its quite a lot of fun. :)

Thanks!(less)

Vivian
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fr, romance-fantasy
This is a sexy modern version of Greek mythology.

I am so glad that I bypassed my fashion catwalk aversion to pick this up. I'm not enamored with the industry and get no thrills from gossip or social media tantrums, but the idea of a mashup with Greek mythology and previous good experiences with McBride convinced me.

AND... it was beyond, totally exceeded expectations. Like outta the ballpark, not just a homerun.

Eros, 470-460 B.C. lekythos

First, hands down the best modern representation of Gree
Emma Sea
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely book, so satisfying. Lyrical writing. Adored the ending.
Sofia
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it

As a little girl I was fascinated by the tales of the Greek Gods, so different than the current gods, so passionate, so many complicated stories.

This story brought back cherished memories and with its intricate and empathic depiction of the gods made me enjoy it. Apart from the moments were McBride cranked up the angst and then jumped to the aftermath rather than taking me with her on all the steps, I've nothing to complain about. Even her treatment of the fashion world was balanced, showing man
Cindy
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An ARC of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

Anybody who remembers studying the Greek Gods and Goddesses in English class knows they got up to a lot of hijinks; even in the sanitized versions approved for the classroom. This is the story of Eros (definitely not in the ‘chubby kid with a bow’ mode) and Rees, the scholarly and beautiful tenth muse who resides in the Elysian Fields – and it is unlikely to ever appear in a classroom.

Eros is on Earth hunting the reincarnati
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

This story possesses it all: love, betrayal and hope. This story moved me both from a character perspective as well as a plot development. My heart hurt as Ms. McBride punches her characters in the gut over and over. For those who enjoy Greek tragedies, this is the one for you. The reader's emotions are dragged through a flogging with steel tips.

On the surface, this tale starts out a bit frivolous with Eros behaving badly on earth. To get him in line, Aphrodite decides to send Rees to bring Ero
Julie French
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the book, the story was clever, amusing and had a really lovely feel to it, as Eros is gently tricked into falling in love. It was a little tricky trying to understand all the relationships between the Greek God/Goddess however it was well done, and explained in a good order.

Rees was living his life in Olympus as a scholar however starting to realise that maybe he needed to push himself. Along com
eureka1
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

For me, this story was the perfect mix of drama, humor, cruelty, jealousy, love, and sex…just as the Greek gods--and their human descendants--would have wanted it. Belinda McBride’s twists on Greek mythology made it even more enjoyable, definitely renewing my youthful interest in mythology. Belinda showed me gods who are real, appealing, flawed, and as human as the rest of us.

Eros and Rees are both likeable MCs. They’ve had to
Is
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

"All the world grieved when Orpheus remembered.”

In ninth grade, we had this mythology week in English class, and I remember it was life breathing for the first time. During tenth grade, we had an entire semester dedicated for mythology, we had to explore and read every myth and lore there was in Greek mythology and I thrived. It never felt like homework, I was just gobbling it all up and to this day I still can remember every story.

I have phases in readings; like that one time were all I wanted
Elizabeth Alsobrooks
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like to say that I've never met a mythological being I didn't love and McBride's are no exception. If the Greek gods were driven by larger than life human characteristics and emotions (and they were), then McBride has captured the essence and flavor, the essential mythos of the genre in this character-driven story.

One can’t help but appreciate the passion and anger the main character, Eros, feels as he experiences the betrayal and disappointment only centuries of longing and denial of his tru
Elisa Rolle
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: The Tenth Muse by Belinda McBride
1) I very much enjoyed the placement of petulant Greek Gods in a modern day environment, with all their strengths, flaws and weaknesses on show. Loved the concept of The Aphrodite Project to bring rogue gods and demigods to heel and I look forward to more developments as the series continues. The writing is engaging and the plot has numerous twists and surprises to keep the reader enthralled. Although it isn't essential to
Brenda Maldonado
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of The Tenth Muse from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Young and beautiful Eros gets a little carried away in the human world and needs to be coaxed back home. Aphrodite sends handsome/geeky Reese, brother of the Muses, to do the job. When the "job" becomes a true romance between Rees and Eros, things start to get interesting, and romantic, and hot.

The strength of this book is in the characters: Eros, Rees, Zephyrus, Herma, Wind Sprites, Shadow... The story is bui
W Chapman
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An ARC of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.
At first didn't think it was my type of book. but got into the book with its love story, it intrigue, it multiple Greek Gods. Belinda writes so well that she pulls you into her books so that you just have to know what happen next. love scenes fun, made me smile. starts off with clues but didn't seeing the ending coming love that you become part of story love it five stars
blub
An ARC of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

When Eros does a fashion show where he presents his real wing, his mother, Aphrodite knows she'll have to do damage control by getting Eros to come back to Olympus before the other pantheons take matter into their own hands. But she knows Eros won't come back on his own. So she enlists the help of Rees, her best friend's son. Rees has been feeling listless and is more than willing to act as one of Aphrodite's hunters.

The mo
Irina
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book based on Greek mythology characters - I was pleasantly surprised and fully satisfied with the plot, romance and the writing. By the time I finished it, the world it's set in has started feeling like home, and some of the secondary characters are begging for their HEA's too. Can't wait for their stories.
Bree Cheese
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
I know nothing of Greek mythology, so trying to figure out all the God/Goddess relationships was a bit complicated, but the author does a good job of explaining everything. Overall, I enjoyed this inventive and amusing story.
Merreille
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so beautiful. Inspiring. There weren't any boring parts to read. I just teared up upon reading of what happened to the both of them and I'm so glad that they still ended up with each other.
Chris
4.5 out of 5 stars

Description ~

Aphrodite has had it.

It was bad enough that her son Eros walked a fashion show in drag, but did he really have to show the entire world his wings? Desperate to rein in the impulsive young god, she recruits the scholarly muse Rees to lure him back to Olympus until the scandal dies down.

After hundreds of years, Eros has finally located the reincarnation of his former love, Psyche. The only way to her heart is through fame, so the God of Love plans a daring campaign t
Debbie
Independent reviewer for Divine Magazine, I was gifted my copy of this book.

Eros is taking the modelling world by storm. But he showed his wings and his mother Aphrodite has had enough. She sends Rees, a scholar and teacher, brother to the Nine Muses, to convince Eros to pack up from earth and return to Mount Olympus. Eros grows attached to the young man and, dare he say it, falls in love with him. But the Eros discovers what his mother did, and Rees disappears. As much as Eros hates his mother
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

Eros, the God of Love, has found his late wife's reincarnation and to be close to her, he becomes a model. When his antics during a televised show draw attraction from his mother, Aphrodite, she hires the son of her best friend to help her rein in her impetuous son, before Ares, the God of War intervenes.

Eros is disenchanted by Rosalinda, Psyche's current reincarnation, who is the ultimate party girl, addicted t
Nicole
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the publisher in return for an honest review.

I binged read this book, finished it in a day, and couldn't even remember what the book I was reading before this one was about. This is just a perfect story.

Books usually surprise me, intrigue me or make me so mad at them, but this one just enchanted me (maybe the gods had something to do with it)

The writing is really good, and the way the story was weaved made for a deeply rich, colorful and sorrowful story that I can't help b
Pansy
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Are you into Greek Mythology at all? I find it interesting, but I haven’t actively researched or anything. What I know I have learned from the movies and TV, occasionally from books like this.

Belinda McBride, on the other hand, evidently actively researched the subject and it shows in this story. I am sure it won’t hold up to scrutiny by a scholar, but she is an author and they love to take artistic license.

Now that being said, this was a fun story. It was your basic love story between a couple
Light
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars

I've always been obsessed with mythology and this book is a gem.

We have the God of Love, Eros, who is in deep trouble due his mischievous behaviour in the human world, almost exposing his divine nature. Because of this, his mother Aphrodite decides it's time to take him back to the Elysian Fields but she knows he's capable of recognize anyone she sends so she asks Rees for help, known as The Tenth Muse.

As soon as they meet, Eros is captivated by Rees' innocence, intelligence, charisma
Ilona
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance, fantasy
I received an ARC of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. When I was about 8 or 9 years old I found a book in the library about Greek Myths and Legends and fell in love. Since that time I have always enjoyed reading different stories about the Greek Gods but I have to admit I've never read a better updated version than this book. The characters were so rich and full of life they almost leapt of the pages and the storyline was excellent. I loved the way Belinda altered so ...more
Kathleen
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, series

What a wonderful story! I fell in love with the gods Rees and Eros, and thoroughly enjoyed my romp across earth with them. The tragedy that was unveiled was gut wrenching, but I also got to ride along for its beautiful resolution. Clever story set amidst the Greek pantheon and the world of high fashion, well written, finely drawn characters. Well done, Belinda McBride! I would love to see more stories set in this world where gods secretly mingle with humans.

Why not 5 stars? I could hav
Karen Roma
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a wonderfully entertaining story!

Always a fan of Greek mythology and the mischief the Gods feel is their right to enjoy, I was enraptured by the cross-over between these legendary beings and modern day high society with its glitz and glam.

A powerful tale of the passionate Eros, whose feelings of betrayal and disillusionment for centuries of longing for his beloved Psyche, set the scene for a kaleidoscope of events; some intense, some heart-wrenching and even on occasion just plain laugh out
Gaby Franz
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4,5

I received a copy from the publisher in return for an honest review…
When I read a book Belinda I bet a good read. This book is no exception.
The characters are introduced with very different, distinct personalities, but throughout the novel we see that appearances can be deceiving.
I must admit that mythology is not my favorite book, but this story takes everything so naturally that at times you forget that it is gods or demigods.
There are many phrases that have been in my mind for days.
“I for
Milana Tatarenko
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well,the writing was good...but ofc there were things that annoyed me: (view spoiler) ...more
Andrea
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had to wait for almost 2 hours at the doctor's office today and I was so engrossed in this book I wanted to keep waiting. Perfect book and I hope there will be more - soon! I loved everything about this. Now, more Herma please.
Ra
Sep 14, 2016
Mika
May 02, 2019
Belinda is an award-winning, top selling author of erotic romance, speculative fiction and LGBTQ romance. She lives in far Northern California with her family and a pack of Siberian Huskies.

A graduate of CSU Chico, she managed to attend the notorious party school without once getting drunk, arrested or appearing in a "Girls Gone Wild" video. Her main focus of study was classical and archival hist