Start by marking “A Beautiful Dare” as Want to Read:
A Beautiful Dare

A Beautiful Dare

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A free short story set in the roaring twenties by the author of the deliciously evocative love story A KISS FROM MR FITZGERALD.

It's 1922 in Concord, Massachusetts, a time when women are expected to do nothing more than marry as well as they can, as soon as they can. And whether she likes it or not, this is exactly what Evelyn Lockhart's conservative parents expect of her.
Published March 27th 2016 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about A Beautiful Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beautiful Dare

Greg
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book doubles as an excellent introduction to the talents of the authoress, as well as an attention grabbing and addictive lure into the world she has created.
Angela Maher
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This sounded like an interesting short story from an author I hadn't tried. It's entertaining and evocative, and well worth checking out.
Adora Herveaux
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fabulous short story set in the roaring twenties. Great prequel to A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald to encourage you to go for your dreams, no matter what.
Gemma
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful introduction for Evie, and A Kiss From Mr Fitzgerald
Sueanne Gregg
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous - can't wait to read the next in line, 'A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald'!
Maureen
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a tantalising prelude to Natasha Lester's captivating new historical novel, A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald. In this chapter-length prequel, we meet bright young Evelyn (Evie) Lockhart, whose longing for knowledge and a taste of freedom is stifled by conservative parents and the judgemental, hypocritical circles in which they move. "Mr Fitzgerald", which explores Jazz-era New York and follows Evie's trials and triumphs as she strives to become one of the first female physicians in the US, will be ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up for free from Google Play because I'm really curious about the upcoming A Kiss From Mr. Fitzgerald.

Evelyn (Evie) Lockhart lives during the 1920s, and although her parents just want her to find a wealthy husband, she wants more from life. So she's taking some college courses. But a chance encounter on a rainy day leads her to Rose. A daring redhead who takes her to an anatomy class. A class that surprisingly interests Evie.

After stumbling across a book and a jazz record, she real
Renee
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fabulous short story that I devoured in one sitting. I immediately liked Evie and can't wait to read more of her story in A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald. She has spunk and I can't wait to see how she pushes against society to find her way in the world.

This snippet of Evie's life took me back to my university days, into the Anatomy lab and the wonder/discomfort of discovering what's really inside someone. Natasha's writing is beautiful and engaging. She is able to balance attention to detail with a
Kate Morell
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this short story after reading 'A Kiss from Fitzgerald'.

I wish I hadn't.

I wish I had read it before!

In any case, knowing the background (or should I say future) story for this short story didn't make it any less enjoyable. I could imagine it would be a wonderful teaser. It has made me want to go straight back and reread 'A Kiss from Fitzgerald', the book I was too impatient not to read, the book I jumped straight into reading before finishing this story!

Thoroughly recommend both, and
Kaylene
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this but wanted more!! First time I have read this author. Will definitely read more.
Lauren Chater
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This little teaser is sooo good! I can't wait to read A Kiss From Mr Fitzgerald. I just wanted to keep reading....
Jessica Gleave
Matilda
Apr 07, 2016
Nur Amal Beck
Jun 08, 2016
Natasha Lester worked as a marketing executive for L’Oreal, managing the Maybelline brand, before returning to university to study creative writing. She completed a Master of Creative Arts at Curtin University as well as her first novel, What is Left Over, After, which won the TAG Hungerford Award for fiction.

Her first historical novel, the bestselling A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald, was published in
More about Natasha Lester