Start by marking “Bryan & Jase (Something About Him #1)” as Want to Read:
Bryan & Jase (Something About Him #1)

Bryan & Jase

(Something About Him #1)

Jase Rafferty grew up hiding his sexual curiosities—until he meets Bryan Keating. Bryan’s sexual preference is no secret, and being deployed overseas together allows the two men to forge a solid friendship. The sexual attraction is undeniable, but after one lust-filled week, they must go their separate ways.
A year later, a chance meeting gives them one more weekend togeth
Published April 28th 2016 by A.D. Ellis Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bryan & Jase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bryan & Jase

Start your review of Bryan & Jase (Something About Him #1)
Aerin
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

There's nothing that frustrates me and infuriates me more than a book that starts off great to the point you know this will be a very good story, only to take a turn for the worse in the last 25%. I'm not saying the "characters being stubborn or stupidly get shot" kind of worse; I've never had a bigger WTF moment than I've experienced in this book.

Jase Rafferty and Bryan Keating have served in the militarily together, they've been best friends and brothers, and
Kirsten
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Awful. Stereotypically horrendous women, men who continuously claim to be straight, shoddy writing, the list goes on. All around terrible.
Coco.V
Nov 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 Books 1-3 in the series are FREE on Amazon today (11/2/2019)! 🎁
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
OK First off I liked the story but I was so mad at some of the characters in this one. Jase's family drove me crazy and I couldn't understand why he didn't stick up for himself and Bryan. After I try to get over that , I liked that this story spanned some years. They met and hook up in the military for about a week before they go home where they lose touch. 2 years later they meet up again and get together for about another week. Jase is married and has a son which affects his decisions which I ...more
Ricardo
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1 1/2 stars

Another one of those books where my reading glasses must have been dirty or something because for the life of me I cannot understand why the book has such a high rating. The book starts with a disclaimer about how “according to research kids have been taken from their natural parents based on the parents’ sexual orientation.” (okay... one or two cases do NOT make a trend, they are an EXCEPTION ). The author then sends the reader to a link with a prequel to this book and tells us
Chris
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
I just loved this story. It spanned over many years and took Bryan and Jase along time to find the happiness they deserved. I absolutely fell in love with Jase's son Gray and his sweet honesty. Frank was an absolutely horrible person and I think in the end things tied up a little too easily, but I didn't care I was ready for a happy ending. Braeton was such a great guy. I'd love to read his story.
Emily Seelye
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, own
I liked this for the most part. Bryan and Jase were best friends in the military and had one spectacular week towards the end of Bryans career then they went their separate ways. They lose contact for a while because Jase lets his parents and ex wife control his life. When Jase finally leaves the military and is away from his toxic wife, he takes his son to Indiana, where he knows Bryans been living.

They miraculously find Bryan at a gaming convention, and life finally seems to be going their wa
Diverse
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april2016reads
A.D. Ellis is a writer who focuses on emotion more than anything else. Every thing a character does or says is truly felt. As a reader it is one of my most favorite things. A kiss is never just a kiss, it's mind, body, and soul and that comes across in her work.

Bryan & Jase is a tale that spans over time. A lust-filled week and then they are parted. Only to come together again a year later. And though you're all excited they are together again there's so much holding them back fr
Jaime
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-reads
I got nothing done today because of this book! Great characters, some awful characters and just a great story. Loved it.
Barbara Ingram
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Bryan & Jase
Author: A. D. Ellis
Series: Something About Him
Publisher: A. D. Ellis Publishing
Reviewer: Barb
Release Date: April 28, 2016
Genre(s): M/M Romance, Second Chances, Military, Single Parent, Extreme Homophobia
Page Count: 364
Heat Level: 4 flames out of 5
Rating: 5 stars out of 5

Review:

*****5 Sweet Second Second Chances Stars*****

There was so much I loved about Bryan & Jase’s second chances love story! Where to start? Bryan and Jase meet in the military, Bryan is out and proud, but Jase, although curious, is married. They experience a steamy weekend before going their separate ways, Jase facing a divorce f5
Heat2016
Barb
ReleaseHim
Ellis
Jase
Deb
Two and half stars. The book opens with a note from the author urging you to read her free short story that is a pre-equal to this novel, which I found weird. If the story is that vital, why not just stick it in the book, or better yet, write your novel so you don't need to have read the short story first? So I read the short story, which on the whole was better than the book. I like the characters in that story and it held my interest, although it devolved into a bunch of summarizing and the fi ...more
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
I’m finding I’m not a big fan of stories with someone in the closet. I just don’t understand why people won’t stand up to parents or whoever is giving them crap about their sexuality. I was pissed at Jase for caving to his wife when he and Bryan were on leave. And I understand he was scared to lose his kid but he should have stood up to his dad years ago…not when he was forced to. I did love Bryan and Jase together when all the other crap didn’t get in the way. Bryan was a saint to wait for Jase ...more
Joyfully Jay
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wendy
A Joyfully Jay review.

This book opens with the author inviting readers to read her free short story before reading this book. So I did. In it we meet Bryan and Jase before Jase heads back to civilian life leaving Bryan behind. I will admit, after reading the short story, I was eager to read the book. My personal opinion is that the short story should have been included (at least partially) in this book because without it, readers are going to be less sympathetic to the two main characters
Ryane
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by AD Ellis and read on behalf of Thorns and Ink

This was a wonderful book and an even better story. I am prior service so it touched home in a different way. Seeing a few friends hide love and who they are is always heart breaking. The strength that both Bryan and Jase exhibited was amazing. I can honestly say that even at Jase’s weakest points he still showed emotional loyalty. The emotional toll of hiding love because of judgement and career can be crippling. I was sur
K
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 Stars

The story of Bryan & Jase span over a decade starting out with a friendship and finally, after a long time, a relationship. There is a 20 page short story called, Bryan & Jase, The Beginning that explains how they originally met, so you may want to read that first. You can find it here.
3.5 Stars

Bryan & Jase, The Beginning: Something About Him

I think the author does a good job of filling in any questions the reader may have at the beginning if you choose not to read the short. The story starts off with Bryan going home to Texas to attend a friends wedding. It's been over a year since he's been home and who does he run into at the airport? Yep, Jase, and he's not alone.

The story follows Jase and Bryan over the course of many years. After they run into each other at the airport and they have a brief week-end fling they both go their separate ways again and it's another five years before they ever see each again. Jase has a horrible marriage to a mean and selfish woman, and she basically has a noose around his neck if he doesn't do what she wants.

Jase is not ready to come out of the closet mainly because he is surrounded by homophobic bigots who keep him walking a tightrope.

Bryan tries to date other men but his thoughts always lead back to Jase. He has hope that one day they will meet again and they will be together. He's never connected to anyone like he does to Jase but he also understands Jase has a lot of responsibilities.

A lot of the story seemed to focus on their own reflections with a lot of wishing and hoping. When they do find each other again it's like no time has been lost between them. Every thing falls together quickly and there's no angst to speak of. They do run into a bad situation with Jase's parents but that was remedied fairly quick and it appears to be in the past.

Bryan is a very easy going and understanding guy. I liked that he was so helpful and agreeable when it came to Jase and his son but I think it would have been more realistic to see him get upset sometimes with so much injustice being thrown at Jase. Their intimacy and bedroom times definitely took a backseat with most of it happening off page.

The writing flows well but there were a few times that the scene changed abruptly and I'd have to back up and start over. Overall, this is a very sweet and low angst story that shows fate does seem to play a factor in life. And, if you are willing to wait and be patient, she may just give you everything you ever wanted.
Lily
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
4.5*

If you haven’t already, check out the FREE short novella—Bryan & Jase, The Beginning: Something About Him—as an introduction to their story. It explains how the guys originally met and got together for the first time.

I ADORED this story and these guys. The writing style is lovely. It’s a heartwarming tale with plenty of emotion portrayed through the main characters. I thoroughly enjoyed Jase’s gradual acceptance of his sexuality and Bryan and Jase’s relationship development
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
*copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Bryan and Jase served in the military together. I'd recommend before you start this book you pick up "Bryan and Jase, The Beginning: Something About Him" it's a short story that tells of their time in the Army together and how their relationship progressed during their deployment. I think you'll be missing a very important part of the story if you skip over it. Plus it's free at Amazon, so yo
Pam Kay
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.D. Ellis has done an incredible job with this new novel. Coming out of an introduction of these main characters, the story takes you on an incredible emotional roller coaster ride that will pull at your heartstrings. The story line remains strong and the main characters are well developed. Bryan and Jase were in the Military together forming a strong friendship together until the attraction for each other brings them oh so much closer together. Bryan being an out and proud gay man and Jase, a ...more
Sieran
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75 stars.

This was very good! It was so sweet to watch Jase and Bryan’s relationship blossom and deepen, and the angst was at a good level—not too much to be overwhelming, but not too little as to make their romance seem too easy.

Grayson, a certain secondary character, was very cute and such a darling; he was a drop of golden light in the story. Braeton, another secondary character, was a nice addition to the cast too, and a great ally. I hated Sierra and Frank (Jase’s f
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: Blog Tour, eARC Review & Excerpt: Bryan & Jase: Something About Him by A.D. Ellis

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: (5 of 5 Stars) 5
The Multiplier Rating Takes Effect

Bryan & Jase: lots of feels for this one. I got caught up in their story, at times absolutely hating I was reading such malignant bigotry at other times cursing out why such an idiot could be such an idiot and then, the feels and tears war with the anger. Is this heavy drama
Felicia Eddy
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC for an honest review.

I love this book.

Bryan and Jase met when they both where deployed over seas. They were best friends trying to survive war. As their time gets closer to being sent home their feelings for each other start to change until one night everything changes for them. That leads them to spend the most passionate week together before they go their separate ways but neither forget.
Flash forward a year Jase is in loveless marriage but he is now a father t
Sharon
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian is in the service, he’s openly gay but not flamboyant. He came out years ago and is ok with it. He secretly craves is friend and fellow soldier Jase who claims he’s straight, he’s even married but Bryan is sure he’s gay. Throwing out come ons hoping he’ll agree to meet behind the dumpster and make out!
Jase has always felt different he experimented a little bit back in college but nothing extreme. He was raised by a father who’s a bigot, married a women he doesn’t love and she cheats
Dick
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Realistic love story

This story of two friends who travel a very rocky road from friendship to love was outstanding.
Bryan and Jade meet and serve together in the Army. Toward the end of their tour they finally allow for a very hot weekend together and although both would like to continue the affair, Jade is locked into a loveless marriage. His wife is a heavy duty golddigger who threatens to out her husband to his homophobic father and mother if he ever tries to turn her off and also threate
Sydney Hopke
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from this author. This is the full story of Bryan and Jase that readers were introduced to in their short story. What happens when you run into the person you can't forget but know you can't have? That's Jase and he's trying to be the person his family wants though he wants someone his family won't approve of. Bryan wants Jase and has no problem with it. Fast forward a few years and will they finally be able to be together?

The author gives her readers stories that
Beth
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved Bryan and Jase's story!!

What a heartwarming story about loving your best friend. Bryan and Jase met while in the army. While Bryan could not be openly gay, Jase knew that he was. Jase on the other hand couldn't admit that he was gay. In a loveless marriage and with a baby on the way, they parted ways. But as fate demands, love always finds it's way back to each other. After numerous problems with his wife, Jase finally was able to divorce her and gain full custody of their son, Grayson.
Paul
May 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I should have known this was another of those"gay" romances written by a woman!

What did I like? The romance, as unrealistic as it was, was charming. What didn't I like? The rest of it! So bloody improbable, two strong, confident military men who crumple whenever a father breathes his worst dialog against "fags."

I always wonder hat makes women, usually straight women, think they have it in them to write a book about gay life? They're almost always kissy romances the way a str8 woman would WAN
Marie Mckenney
Love this book

Another awesome book by A.D. This is different than her previous books but just as awesome. Jase and Bryan's love had so many ups and downs. Poor Jase had the rough part to deal with the witchy wife. Bryan's life had ups and downs also. Gray is such a cute kid. Glad that at his young age he understood what is going on. Jase's dad reacted the way a lot of men do. The emotions are up and down in this book. Love this book and glad that it ended the oway it did..

Dawn Beech
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was given this book as an Arc and was ask for an honest review
i totally love it
true love really does last the test of time
Brian and Jase are old army mates but something develops between them
this is their story of love and lost and fighting bigotry
beautifully written with the main characters going through so much
i don't want to ruin the storyline for you
but if you believe in true love will conquer all this is definitely the book for you
i wish they had more than 5
Tammy Anderson
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet read!! Totally worth it!

Very first book I have read by this author and so worth!! This was an emotional and sweet read! Bryan and Jace best buds in the military share a week together and,then go separate ways.. Bryan is openly out and Jace is trying to come to terms with his feelings... Fate brings them together while others try to tear the apart! An amazing read!
Sabrina
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, enjoyable, HEA (with a little work) book! Bryan and Jase meet in the military and start to fall knowing there was an end date. When they meet up again a year later things start up again but then everything falls apart. As his life changes Jase makes choices that bring him back to teh love of his life and hopefully a chance to make it all work out!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Single (Single Dads #1)
  • The Heart of Texas (Texas, #1)
  • Conduct Unbecoming (Conduct Unbecoming, #1)
  • Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)
  • Lost and Found (Twist of Fate, #1)
  • Fire and Water (Carlisle Cops, #1)
  • Rescue Me (Heathens Ink #1)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Texas Winter (Texas, #2)
  • Music of the Soul (Souls of Chicago, #2)
  • Alpha Chef (J.T's Bar, #2)
  • Steele My Heart (A Bridge to Abingdon #1)
  • Tender Mercies (Men of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Stained
  • Uniquely Us (Us #3)
  • Safe and Sound (Twist of Fate, #2)
  • Male/Male
  • Alpha Barman (J.T's Bar #1)
A.D. Ellis is an Indiana girl, born and raised. She spends much of her time in central Indiana as an instructional coach/teacher in the inner city of Indianapolis, being a mom to two amazing school-aged children, and wondering how she and her husband of nearly two decades haven't driven each other insane yet. A lot of her time is also devoted to phone call avoidance and her hatred of cooking.

Something About Him (6 books)
  • Brody & Nick (Something About Him, #2)
  • Barrett & Ivan (Something About Him, #3)
  • Braeton & Drew (Something About Him, #4)
  • Ryker & Gavin (Something About Him, #5)
  • Kade & Cameron (Something About Him, #6)