Start by marking “Kylie's Ark: The Making of a Veterinarian” as Want to Read:
Kylie's Ark: The Making of a Veterinarian

Kylie's Ark: The Making of a Veterinarian

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  38 ratings  ·  10 reviews
KIRKUS' INDIE BOOKS OF THE MONTH SELECTION — A horse scheduled to be euthanized is given a respite. An illiterate man learns to read so he can better care for his puppy. A neurologically-impaired kitten might provide a key to understanding storage diseases in humans. These are some of the successes that make the practice of veterinary medicine a joy, and sometimes a heartb ...more
Published April 1st 2016 by Lansinger Press

To ask other readers questions about Kylie's Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kylie's Ark

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Kylie's Ark: The Making of a Veterinarian
Corabel Shofner
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like the story of Temple Grandin, KYLIE’S ARK is the book for you.

This deeply moving collection of stories shows Kylie Wheeler’s journey through vet school and life as a veterinarian. We face the obstacles in her path and feel her passion for animals. This book is a must for anyone who is a vet, is going to vet school, and all of us who just plain love animals.

Even more, this book stands alone as literature, outside of the veterinarian niche. Kylie’s world is alive. The human animals (se
Angela Burford
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This marvelous and beautifully written book gives deep insight into the heart of a young women, as through non-sequential stories, the author deftly peels off the layers of experience that shape Kylie’s emergence as a practicing vet. It is fascinating to observe animal and human behavior in the highly visual descriptions and diverse locations where Kylie is presented with situations and conflicts that challenge her compassion and idealism.

I was fascinated and drawn into Kylie’s struggles to do h
Nora
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rita Welty Bourke’s book “Kylie’s Ark” is a lovely story, a series of episodes describing Kylie’s passage from headstrong student to compassionate and empathetic veterinarian. Her encounters with her teachers, her patients and their owners, her fellow students and co-workers, and her personal relationships chronicle her journey in her own words. Her highs and lows, her successes and failures are recounted with searing honesty.

Now that I have met Kylie, there is so much more I want to know about
Katie
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A friend suggested this book to me. I wasn't sure I was going to be interested in reading about someone becoming a vet, but I got hooked on the stories right away. I liked the characters, and the situations Kylie encounters along her way. What most intrigued me were the decisions Kylie needed to make, and the ethics involved. I hope to read more by Rita Welty Bourke soon - her writing held my interest and I learned a great deal about animals and their habits and care in this book.
Eva Flynn
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A modern day "All Creatures Great and Small" with a female protagonist who deals with the conflicting priorities of science, politics, and the well-being of helpless animals. Thought provoking and beautiful, this is the story of Kylie a vet who has a true passion for her work. The struggles that Kylie faces and her courage make this book fascinating from the start. The writing is crisp, clear, and melodic without being pretentious and the situations Kylie faces keep one engaged. I cannot wait to ...more
Kylie Corley
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Upon seeing my name and the word veterinarian attached, I knew I had to read this. It was always a dream of mine, but had chemistry trades and fear of being in debt forever blew that dream away. But enough about that.
The book was well written and I could see myself in every part due to the description.
If you've ever considered being in the animal field, this is definitely a quick, good read.
AnnMarie Johnson
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
What genre is this book? Labeled a memoir but states all characters are fictional. Reads like a memoir. Author states she knows the main character and this is her story. You can’t have a memoir that isn’t written by the person who has the life. You can’t have a memoir in which all people are fictitious. So which is it????
Jess Spatz
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Depressing read, but quite an accurate account of being a veterinarian. Don't read if you want "happy stories"
Chery F Kendrick
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously depressing book

One of the most depressing books I've ever read. A real "Debbie Downer". Makes me hope for everyone's sake that she left vet med.
Mary
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kylie's Ark is a little treasure of a book. The writing is spare yet descriptive and the main character is someone you would love to have as a friend. Reading it, you learn a lot about the life of a veterinarian, particularly a vet who is a woman. She's uncomplicated and forthright and loves her patients. It ended too soon! Now I'm anxious for another.
Oleg Shevelyov
Oct 09, 2019
Trudy Laforest
rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2017
Apr 26, 2016
Nicole Silver
Apr 10, 2018

• By Blood Divided
  • Crisis in the Red Zone: The Story of the Deadliest Ebola Outbreak in History, and of the Outbreaks to Come
  • Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher, #15)
  • The First Time I Said Goodbye
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Black Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sisters of St. Croix
  • Terminus (DI Munro & DS West, #5)
  • Crito Di Volta: an epic
  • CRITO DI VOLTA (I-IV, VII AND XIII)
  • The Country Nurse Remembers: True Stories of a Troubled Childhood, War, and Becoming a Nurse (The Country Nurse Series, Book Three)
  • Brooklyn
  • Polio: An American Story
  • Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng | Conversation Starters
  • Two Brothers
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
  • Strays: A Lost Cat, a Homeless Man, and Their Journey Across America
  • All My Patients Have Tales: Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • A Handful of Happiness: How a Prickly Creature Softened a Prickly Heart
Rita Welty Bourke has published over forty works of fiction and nonfiction in literary magazines including the North American Review, Cimarron Review, Louisiana Literature, Shenandoah, Witness, and the Black Warrior Review.

Kylie's Ark: The Making of a Veterinarian is her debut novel. The book earned a starred review from Kirkus Magazine and was subsequently chosen as a Kirkus Indie Book-of-the-Mo

News & Interviews