Start by marking “Mama Cat Has Three Kittens” as Want to Read:
Mama Cat Has Three Kittens

Mama Cat Has Three Kittens

"Mama Cat has three kittens, Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. Whatever Mama Cat does, Fluffy and Skinny are right behind, climbing the wall, digging in the sand, chasing leaves. All Boris seems to do is nap. Will he ever wake up and join the fun?"

Using her own cats as models, Denise Fleming has captured the moods, expressions, and antics of a mother cat and her kittens. But ther
Published September 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Cat Has Three Kittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Cat Has Three Kittens

Start your review of Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
Caterina
Five stars on the strength of the gorgeous illustrations. Artist Denise Fleming pours (I almost typed "purrs") colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils to create brilliant handmade-paper images that purrr-fectly capture the body-language and even facial expressions of cats and kittens (slightly humanized) and the details of the natural world. It's no surprise to learn that Fleming had her own family of mama cat and kittens to work from. On my quest for teaching resources, my community child ...more
J
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to two groups of preschoolers. You can start asking "And what does Boris do?" to get the kids interacting.
Emily
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two kittens imitate everything Mama cat does, but their brother just likes to nap. Nice predictive repetition that can easily be interactive.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2009, pc
Mama Cat Has Three Kittens is on Harriet and my short list of favorite children's books. The book is a near perfect combination of repetition, adorable illustrations and humor. Best of all (from Harriet's perspective) it's about cats.

Mama cat, as the title explains, has three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny and Boris. While Mama cat is teaching Fluffy and Skinny how to do necessary cat things, Boris is off doing his own thing (napping). Until near the end, each pair of pages ends with "Boris naps." Harr
David
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mama Cat Has Three Kittens by Denise Fleming is a great read-aloud for preschoolers (one of my favorites). It focuses on two kittens, Fluffy & Skinny, who copy their mother's every move. During all these antics, Boris naps. When Mama Cat and the other kittens finally take a nap, Boris wakes up, stretches, yawns, washes his paws, ... and pounces on his family! Then, having woke them up, Boris naps!

This simple yet entertaining story has large fonts and features humor & repetition that toddlers and
Jessie
This is a great, simple, big font book for toddlers about a kitten named Boris who never does what the rest of his family is doing. When they are pouncing, he's napping. When they are scratching, he's napping. When they are walking on a wall, he's napping. But...when they are napping, he's pouncing right on mama and his siblings! Very sweet and good predictablity for the little ones.
Mattison Bingham
Mama cat has three kittens named Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. Fluffy and Skinny also follow behind mama but Boris always naps. Well of course, until Mama and the others nap then he wants to wake up. The story line is great for young children because the book has such a repetitive and predictable pattern, making it easy to follow along. Overall, I wasn't impressed with the illustrations. The colors are dark are hard to make out. Because the story line is so fun, I was hoping for more animated chara ...more
Becky
First sentence: Mama Cat has three kittens, Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. When Mama Cat washes her paws, Fluffy and Skinny wash their paws. Boris naps. When Mama Cat walks the stone wall, Fluffy and Skinny walk the stone wall. Boris naps.

Premise/plot: Mama Cat has three kittens. Fluffy and Skinny copy their mother; they excel at their kitty education--their kitten academy. Boris, well, he's BORIS. He excels in one subject: NAPPING. Perhaps with a minor in STEALING THE SHOW.

My thoughts: I LOVED, L
RC
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mama Cat has three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. Fluffy and Skinny do everything Mama Cat does, but Boris would really rather sleep. Until it's time for the rest of the family to take a nap...

The simple, repetitive text makes for great reading aloud to babies and toddlers, while slightly older audiences will be able to help you guess what happens next. A great choice for learning about predictive text!

The illustrations are bright and colorful, in Fleming's signature paper collage style. T
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, found it humorous, and thought that my groups of parents and two-year-olds would enjoy it. However, it didn't keep the kids' interest, even when I tried to involve them in telling the story or acting out the motions. Possibly it was just the day (first big snow of the year), or possibly the pictures just were too dark and full for them to really want to look at. In any case, while I thought it was quite a nice book, it wasn't as well received as I had hoped.
Candy | Evianrei
One I remember from my childhood. I loved the big painterly illustrations, and got a copy of this for my son earlier in the year. We've read it a couple times, and he enjoys looking at the large, colorful illustrations of the kittens. So glad I was able to grab a copy of this book, I only wish it came in board book format.
Karen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise Fleming is one of my favourite go to authors for story-time books. Simple plots with patterning in some, great read-alouds for toddlers with super colourful illustrations. She's simply the best!
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A great picture book with repetition, predictability, but then a touch of fun/surprise at the end. This quick read would make a great 2nd book in storytime.

Storytime: Toddler or Family Storytime

Focus: Narrative Skills, Patterns, Background Knowledge.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Cute, fun, Denise Fleming is always reliable for baby and toddler storytimes.
Mely
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
oh that silly boris. very simple story, lots of repetition which helps toddlers "read" and predict where the story will go.
Erica Flory
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boris must be a teenager
Molly Cluff (Library!)
My husband thought this one was hilarious with the one kitten who always napped.
Cyndee
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book, adorable pictures. Great for story time with the younger crowd!!
Be sure and get the parents to interact somehow with 'Boris naps'
Diane
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Boris, the ornery kitten, never wants to nap like the other kittens ... until 😁😁
Mikki
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story about Boris, an ultra-independent cat.
Cute, clear story, okay drawings.
Megan McCloud
Boris is my cat.
Adena
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for our Cats storytime on 1/28/2020.
Leslie Bardo
This book is about a mama cat that does various cat activities with two of her three kittens following suit (Fluffy and Skinny). Boris, the third kitten, does not follow his siblings and decides to nap instead of following Mama cat. This story was really cute, silly, and perfect for ages 3 through 5. I really enjoyed the repetitive rhythm because it would be easier for young children to follow and guess what was going to happen next. At the very end, Mama, Fluffy and Skinny all decide to nap, bu ...more
Shelby Summerville
The book Mama Cat has Three Kittens is a simple story that uses a pattern that is easy for younger audiences to predict, it written by and illustrated by Denise Fleming. This is a story about a mom kitten and her three children, Fluffy, Skinny and Boris. The book goes through Mama Cats activities, washing her paws, walking the stone wall, sharpening her claws, chasing leaves, and digging in the sand. Fluffy and Skinny follow everything Mama cat does, while their brother Boris naps through it all ...more
Sidney Chumbler
This book is okay, but not my favorite. Mama cat and the two other kittens play and get things done while Boris is sleeping. All Boris does is sleep until the everyone else sleeps so he decides he needs to wake everyone up and play. This book was a little repetitive and I don't know why they just didn't wake up Boris. And I don't understand why he is named Boris when the two other kittens get cute names. Anyway this book is okay and I understand why kids would love it, but it is not my favorite.
Brooke
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting. The name choices were unexpected.
Rachel Hancock
"Mama Cat Has Three Kittens" was written and illustrated by Denise Fleming. This pattern book tells the story of a mother cat and her three young kittens. In the book, two of the kittens (Fluffy and Skinny) copy everything their mom does, however, the other kitten (Boris) simply naps the entire time. The book is extremely predictable and follows a pattern such that readers can likely predict what is going to happen next. In the end, however, Boris finally wakes up from his nap and pounces on Flu ...more
Alana
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise Fleming wrote a great story called Mama Cat Has Three Kittens. This book is on the NY Public Library 100 Picturebooks List. The story includes a Mama cat, and her three kittens: Fluffy, Skinny, and Boris. As you read the story, you get to follow the activities of the kittens and how Boris is different from the two other siblings. This story will teach children that everyone is different and that it is ok to be different and do your own thing! The illustrations in this book were outstandin ...more
Viri
The book talks about how a mother cat and her three kittens behave and do on an ordinary day. What mama cat does so do the kittens, except for one who is always napping while his siblings go after mom. At the end "Boris" the sleeping kitty wakes up and does what his mother and siblings did while he was asleep and finally goes back to join his mother and siblings, who are sleeping, so he sleeps some more.
Fleming does a good job in drawing and identifying the three cats as the book goes along. The
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Cat Secrets
  • Welcome Home, Bear: A Book of Animal Habitats
  • Big Cat, Little Cat
  • Big Bear, Small Mouse
  • The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear
  • One Love: (Multicultural Childrens Book, Mixed Race Childrens Book, Bob Marley Book for Kids, Music Books for Kids)
  • Millions of Cats
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Armstrong: The Adventurous Journey of a Mouse to the Moon
  • I'm Afraid Your Teddy Is in Trouble Today
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

News & Interviews