Start by marking “#Prettyboy Must Die” as Want to Read:
#Prettyboy Must Die

#Prettyboy Must Die

A CIA prodigy's cover is blown when he accidentally becomes an internet sensation in #Prettyboy Must Die, inspired by the #Alexfromtarget story.

When Peter Smith's classmate snaps a picture of him during a late night run at the track, Peter thinks he might be in trouble. When she posts that photo--along with the caption, "See the Pretty Boy Run,"--Peter knows he's in troubl
Published February 13th 2018 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about #Prettyboy Must Die, please sign up.
Michael Christofferson Don't judge a book by its cover. It's actually pretty good--Diehard meets prep school. The characters are fun. It stretches believability in places bu…moreDon't judge a book by its cover. It's actually pretty good--Diehard meets prep school. The characters are fun. It stretches believability in places but that's part of the draw.(less)

Start your review of #Prettyboy Must Die
Jody McGrath
This book was a cute spy kids type of boarding school book. I found a lot of it to be a suspend your disbelief situation. The plot was flimsy, but not horrible. I can see it appealing to middle age readers. I think it is to young for high school or adult readers. The Clark Kent/ Superman thing was a tad ridiculous.
Lauren Stoolfire
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Jake Morrow, aka Peter Smith, is a foster kid turned CIA operative and since he epically failed his first assignment he's been given a pity mission at a school. He's trying to keep a low profile (there are terrorists out there looking to get bloody revenge), but when a classmate snaps his #Prettyboy photo during a jog around the track and uploads it to social media he becomes a viral sensation. Before he knows it, the school is un
Alaina
After some thinking about this book.. I have changed my rating from three stars to two.

#Prettyboy Must Die wasn't a terrible book.. it was just terribly boring. In the beginning, it was interesting. Heck, even the main character sounded interesting. Yet, for a "spy" book was plain boring. Nothing really grabbed my attention which disappoints me to no end. This book always caught my eye, whether it was the title or the synopsis. I wanted to read it no matter what but once I got my hands on this a
Amaka
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had so much hopes for this book. Teenage Spy, Russian gangs, Hackers. Yes! I was supposed to have so much fun. Unfortunately, as much as I tried, I couldn't get into the story. ...more
Miranda
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
#Prettyboy Must Die was a fun and high stakes novel. There were some ups and downs to this book, but overall, it was a very entertaining story.

The main character, Jake/Peter, was the best part of this book. He was such a funny and charming character! His voice always felt so realistic and relatable. I loved hearing from his perspective and watching him deal with all the obstacles that were thrown his way. However, there were some characters that I didn't connect with as well. Some of the charact
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2017, ya-na
***I received an ARC of this book to provide an honest review***

Normally when I read YA I go for the intense stuff. I wasn't sure what kinda vibe PBMD would have, but I figured I'd give it a try. It turned out to be a lot more light-hearted and silly than I'd anticipated, but that isn't a bad thing.

"All that gym time required of my CIA training hasn't hurt it either, but damn, these girls are jockin' me."

Teenage CIA operative "Peter Smith" ends up in a Colorado boarding school chasing down a ha
rachel ☾
• i grew up reading spy book so i found this storyline super generic
• what the heck was with that romance?? zero chemistry.
• jake, the mc, was grossly sexist but tried to downplay it.
• ^he legitimately dismissed the idea that rachel could be a hacker because she was too conventionally pretty to 'waste' behind the keyboard (among other things)
• the female characterisation was just kind of shitty, full stop.
• this was meant to be an #AlexFromTarget retelling? try #famous instead.
• so. many. ploth
Jen
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost I loved that the main character was black. Even better that he was just a regular black kid with none of the stereotypical problems black characters are given in books these days.

It was an easy read though not at all thrilling for a book about Spies. The characters seemed to spend a lot of time stopping and talking instead of actually doing which I found very infuriating.

The story itself was pretty decent but there was no level of danger for the characters or a sense of antici
OutlawPoet
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute read.

Sure, you sometimes need to turn off your logic sensors. Every so often your brain pops in and reminds you of the fact that the African American Teenage Spy working for the CIA who speaks six languages and manages to somehow convince Ukrainian mobsters that he’s a Ukrainian Speaking Tunisian Food Deliver Boy is (whew!) slightly unbelievable.

But, give it a minute because soon you just won’t care. You’ll be too busy enjoying the story. It’s fun, suspenseful, and a little
Shereen Lee
I received a copy of this book from Macmillan in exchange for an honest review. The quotation I have put in is not from a final version of the book.

"This is our job; they're coming for us. They won't hurt you if you stay out of their way. So you need to do as Peter asks and go back to your classroom."
Rachel nods, and it seems her friends finally get that this is serious business. A few of them wish us good luck before they all turn and run.

When I was reading this passage, I got the fee
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, school lockdown, gun violence, death.

This is such a fun concept - ordinary person has their photo taken by someone and is thrust into the spotlight because of a trending hashtag. Although in this case, it's less an ordinary person and more a teenage boy who works for the CIA.

Unfortunately, there is so much action in this (the bulk of the story takes place in a couple of hours) that I felt like I didn't really know who the characters were and as a result I didn't espe
J. Greene
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading this one reminded me just how much I love the male perspective. I just really do. Something about it.

Anyway, #prettyboymustdie was right up my alley. I very much love espionage, hacking and spies...especially if it's teens--because you don't expect it. So the book, definitely had that going for it.

It was also pretty action-packed from the very beginning. The author wasted no time getting right down to it.

Before I fully dive into what I liked about this book--let me briefly talk about
luna
Full review now posted.
(This review can also be found on my blog!)

[1/5]

*sigh* I wish I didn't have to do this.

Here's the thing about this book: the concept is great. Teen spy on the run from revenge-thirsty ex-soldiers? Might be cliche, but I really enjoy these types of stories. I started this book filled with excitement, expecting some serious thrill and action to be heading my way.

... Well, I guess it's quite disappointing when you think you're in for a YA, but end up reading what sounds like
Fafa's Book Corner
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Mini review:

I received this e-arc via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This was a lot of fun! It was action packed and a fast read. I liked all the characters. And the plot was pretty good.

Recommend.
Laura (bbliophile)
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-releases
I picked up the ARC I received from Macmillan a few hours after I received it because I felt like I was going to enjoy this book a lot, but... I didn't. Full review to come. ...more
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Many thanks from Netgalley for this ARC, this review represents my honest opinion.

I was originally intrigued by this book based on the concept - I love spy books, more so about those based around young adults. I was a massive fan of these sorts of books back when I was much younger (hence I read the Gallagher Girls series, the Cherub series, Young Bond, etc.) so I definitely wanted to read this.

On the whole, it's not bad, if you can overlook some annoying things, then this is probably the lighte
Erin
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
For more of my reviews, visit my blog As the Book Ends or follow me on Bookstagram!

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

My Rating: 1.5 Stars DNF (65%)

I HATE not finishing a book. It takes a lot for me to DNF something. Generally, even if I strongly dislike a novel, I will skim read to the end. But I just couldn't convince myself to finish #Prettyboy Must Die.

Normally, when I don't finish a book, its because the writing was poor, or there were grammatical errors that jus
Rashika (is tired)
I wanted to love #PrettyBoy Must Die and I did NOT. It's not even entirely easy to pin point where it went wrong and why I am not here salivating over its goodness? It's got a teen CIA agent who is undercover, a mystery and some twists. My issue was that even though so many exciting things were happening in the story. I was not invested in the happenings. I did not care about the main character or the secondary characters and I didn't really care about what was going on.

I didn't passionately dis
Rebecca
That was a cutie patootie kind of read. Not the most intense spy novel you'll ever read, but great fluffy trash. ...more
Jess (BookObsessedJess)
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 3-stars
This is going to be a short and sweet review as I find I don't have much to say about this book.

The cover? Meh.

The overall story? Predictable and flat.

Props for diversity. We need more of that.

In the end, I was just left hoping for so much MORE, that I was quite disappointed. I think this could have been a great book. I think this could have been a suspenseful book with lots of intrigue and "spy"-ness, but it just really .... wasn't anything.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for granting
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lot more fun than I expected and that's a good thing. Fast paced and packed with lots of action, I was fully engaged and couldn't wait to see how it all turned out.

This is not my normal kind of read, however, I really enjoyed it. When I was reading it, I kept thinking it had this "Die Hard" vibe, and sure enough, I saw my sentiment echoed by other reviewers.

•Pro: The action started from page 1, and only let up for a very short time in the early chapters. This was exactly what I had e
Aila

Exhilarating, fun, and adorkable!

I’d recommend readers to come into this book looking for a cheesy YA spy thriller. The technology, logic, and tactics are rather interesting, even if they can be implausible at times. And yet, the light-hearted tone of the book creates a fun (even fluffy) atmosphere that readers can get engrossed in. Action lovers will really like this one, and in general it was just a tad silly and mostly exhilarating - I definitely had smiles on my face while reading.
Filipe
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Do not waste your time.
Mandy
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
2.5 stars (2.75 probably but I don't even know anymore), but we're rounding up for the fun that was had.

This book was a bit of a hard one to rate. There were times that I really really enjoyed it, but there were other times that had me raising my eyebrows and skimming past it as fast as I could. However, I will say that Reid managed to take something that seemed pretty unbelievable and make it fun, quirky, and pretty enjoyable.

First, I have to say that I loved Jake/Peter. He was so much fun as a
Natasha
Review also on my blogTwitterBookstagram

I received an arc from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

#Prettyboy Must Die is a spy novel with a comedic edge. It follows a seventeen-year-old black CIA agent and hacker, who arguably a genius, named Jake. He is working undercover at a prestigious high school called Carlisle Academy, for those who exceed academically. Jake is there to uncover a hacker, his lead suspects being any of the new students, notably the senior st
Sara
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jake Morrow is an undercover CIA operative currently posing as Peter Smith at a fancy boarding school in Colorado. He’s flying pretty low under the radar until one of the girls at the school posts his picture to Twitter with the caption “See the pretty boy run.” All of a sudden, #prettyboy is trending, not just at his school, not just in Colorado, but across the United States.

I love a good teenage spy novel. I also have a complicated relationship with them, because sometimes I think I place a bi
Mimi
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
This was a fun read - by no means earth-shaking, but what the story lacked in character or originality, it made up with the simple magic that it reminded me of being a kid and wanting to be a spy.
Who has not dreamed about being a teenage secret agent at one point in their lives? For Jake Morrow, it's reality. Tasked to find a hacker at the highly prestigious Carlisle Academy, Jake tries to blend in with the other students. Until the day his magnificent face and body (hey, it's YA, after all) bre
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

*I received an eArc of this book from the publishers through NEtgalley in exchange of an honest review

Biz
”’Do you know what I hate more than guys telling me not to worry?’ Katie asked.

‘Um, no?’ [sic]

‘Guys condescending to me. Now get out of my way before I make you regret doing that.’”
I am seriously so incredibly disappointed. Teen spy novels fill a niche in my reader heart -- but it’s hard to find good, original ones that are actually believable. A teen thriller based off the #AlexFromTarget story sounds amazing, yes, but the actual novel had one main issue: inconsistencies..

Part One: Sp
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Gone Too Far
  • What We Buried
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)
  • Bingo Love Volume 1: Jackpot Edition
  • Get Dirty (Don't Get Mad, #2)
  • Say Yes Summer
  • The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)
  • A Pho Love Story
  • Zylonn's Human Bride (Tarrkuan Masters, #1)
  • The Glamour Thieves (Blue Unicorn, #1)
  • Harley in the Sky
  • Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)
  • Disney Manga: Fairies - Tinker Bell's Secret
  • Disney Manga: Fairies - Rani and the Mermaid Lagoon: Rani and the Mermaid Lagoon
  • Vidia and the Fairy Crown
  • Don't Feed the Monkey Mind: How to Stop the Cycle of Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Vampire's Faith (Dark Protectors, #8)
  • Bits & Pieces (Rot & Ruin, #5)
See top shelves…