Start by marking “The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)

The Burning Page

(The Invisible Library #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  12,320 ratings  ·  1,174 reviews

Never judge a book by its cover...

Published January 10th 2017 by Ace (first published December 15th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Burning Page, please sign up.
Chris Cohen I recommend reading the first two, in order, before beginning the third. They are certainly worth it, and very fast reads. The story builds, and relat…moreI recommend reading the first two, in order, before beginning the third. They are certainly worth it, and very fast reads. The story builds, and relationships are forged, and some of the intricacies may be lost without the background of the first. (Truth be told, I sort of like the first book best so far...)(less)

·  12,320 ratings  ·  1,174 reviews

Start your review of The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)
Melindam
"Panic is the antithesis to good organization. Panic is messy. I am against panic on a point of principle.

description

Another fantastic book by Genevieve Cogman in the Invisible Library-series with the extraordinarily ordinary, uncommonly common, exceptionally unexceptional, anti-kickassly kickass (or is it all the other way-round?) Librarian-Heroine, Irene.

Alberich, The Library's arch-enemy is back on the scene with an Ultimatum: If they don't hand over the management/leadership of The Library to him, he
Phrynne
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is turning into an excellent series. Our super smart librarian/spy manages to survive through another frightening ordeal involving magic, double crossing fae, dragons and of course the acquiring of rare books from other worlds.
It sounds outrageous but is actually good fun. It is well thought out by the author too with a very clever magic base and good world building. I like the feisty female main character. She keeps the men in their place and gets herself out of her own pickles. Mostly.
I a
Carolyn
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
I really love this series! It has the perfect mix of fantasy and humour with infinite alternative worlds, a Sherlock Holmes-like character, wily fae, handsome dragons and best of all a witty, feisty librarian who rescues rare books from dangerous situations.

Genevieve Cogman really has created a wonderful Universe of alternative worlds where anything can happen depending on the amount of chaos and order in that world. That the Invisible Library, where rare books are collected for preservation by
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This was a great book! The whole series has been wonderful so far. Librarian spies, dragons, and alternate worlds are just some of the things that make this series great. This book gave me exactly what I have come to expect from this series. There was so much going on and I couldn't wait to see how things would turn out.

This book starts shortly after the events of the previous book. The action starts right away and I knew that this story woul
Wanda
2019 Re-read

When life gets complicated, my reading needs simplify. Ms. Cogman’s Invisible Library series had seen me through a challenging week of no running water and cat care duties.

This is the book where Irene earns her Librarian stripes, confronting the traitor, Alberich, and emerging to tell the tale. I think Irene also voices the opinion of many book worms when she says the following:

“I have spent most of my life preferring books to people,’ Irene said sharply. ‘Just because I like a few s
Richard Derus
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, returned
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

The Publisher Says: Librarian spy Irene and her apprentice Kai return for another “tremendously fun, rip-roaring adventure,” (A Fantastical Librarian) third in the bibliophilic fantasy series from the author of The Masked City.

Never judge a book by its cover...

Due to her involvement in an unfortunate set of mishaps between the dragons and the Fae, Librarian spy Irene is stuck on probation, doing what should be simple fetch-and-retrieve projects for the mysterious Libr
Auntie Terror
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
4.5 stars.
Do you know the feeling when you close a book and only then realise you have been holding your breath through the last umpteen pages? [Prtf]
Mariana  Nguyen
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me after finished The Masked City: I WANT MORE!!!

The Burning Page review

Me found out about The Burning Page: Ooooh, more troubles.... MY TYPE!

The Burning Page review

Me realized me still have to wait till December: 9 more month?! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH ALL THAT TIME??

Brittany
A solid 4.5 star for me. Even if some parts seem a bit slower than I would like. The witticism and the characters draw me in and I am always left wanting to read more. The possibilities of the worlds are endless and I love the creative little details that Cogman adds into them, Such as air flight by reindeer and the different alternative timelines depending up9in chaos/order ruling of each location!
Book Riot Community
The third volume in Cogman’s excellent Invisible Library series sees the return of Irene’s archnemesis and librarian-gone-wrong, Alberich. While Irene struggles to save the Library from total destruction, she also has other problems to contend with, mainly that someone is trying to kill her. And there’s a whole host of drama revolving around Vale–Irene’s alternate world version of Sherlock Holmes–her apprentice, Kai, and an all-too-convenient visitor from their last adventure. While I didn’t enj ...more
Beth The Vampire
They were safe in the Library, and the Library would endure.

The Burning Page was a return to form with this series, and had everything that I didn't like about The Masked City, mainly that there was more of the actual Library.

The Library is a place outside of time, it is neutral, and is home to millions of different books stolen across thousands of different worlds. What I love about this idea is that the possibilities are endless in terms of story, but more than that, it is the idea that books
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I would have preferred to read book two, The Masked City before I read this book. But, it just didn't turn out that way. Did the mentioning of the events from The Masked City make me want to read that book? Oh yes, so I will definitely try to get the book one day.

I found this book's story just as captivating as the first book in the series The Invisible Library. All my favorite characters are back in this book Irene (of course), Kai and Vale. Vale has been to a chaotic world in the previous book
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/01/16/...

I have to say this series is really starting to grow on me. While it’s still true that the books are more about the entertainment factor over the substance—not that there’s anything wrong with that, I might add—there’s no denying how great it feels to watch a series evolve over time. I for one can always go for a bit of fluffy fun, but I’m also enjoying how the story and characters have all come such a long way, making The
Jane
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Burning Page was published in 2016, it is the third book in the Invisible Library series.
In the beginning, we find Irene on probation because of events from the previous book, The Masked City.
This book has another battle with Alberich, who is a former librarian. I enjoyed the battle between him and Irene and the revelations that were brought out.
My favorite part of this series is the different species and their cultures. You get a real understanding of the Fae and dragons. The mystique of
Jacob Overmark
Installment # 3 ...
Irene and Kai on new adventures in time and space alternate.

Still a fine and well written experience, but... the plot wears thin.
I was looking forward to a tour de force in St. Petersburg while picking up - well stealing - "The Manuscript Found in Saragossa", a book I could have handed over to The Library against a handsome sum, paid i gold.
It didn´t go that way. Of course a lot of other interesting things happened, but some nicely wrapped YA ethical questions sneak in along
Solseit
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best book of the series just yet. Irene is such an incredibly interesting character, the villain is to die for and mystery after mystery they plot thickens and makes this book as incredibly entertaining as I hoped!
Leigh Hecking
Chrissie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
While I'm not ready to declare abandonment of this series, I am going to have to break-up with it for a while. It's not you, it's me. I need to spend some time with other books.

The main issue I have with this book has leaked into a problem I have with the entire series, up to this point: I really want to like it, but between roughly 25-85%, I find the book to be fairly boring and disappointingly predictable.

The premise of the series, the overlay of the project, is—at a distance—so intriguing an
Snooty1
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
This is most definitely my favorite of the series, so far.
Irene is really coming into her own as a confident and capable agent. Kai and her have formed a much more cohesive (if not overly-protective) partnership...the only cog slightly out of alignment is Vale. I'm hoping this is just a plot hiccup and will be solved in the future book...four books is WAY too long for my heroine to wait for some action....just saying.

Alas, I realize this is not a romance...and that this book is adventurous, smar
Shaun Hutchinson
Meh. I'm done with this series. In the first book, it had hints of Jasper Fforde's excellent Thursday Next series, but it's kind of burned itself out. Aside from a somewhat lackluster plot this time around, this is the second book where the author has brought in a non gender-binary character (the character in question identifies as male and requests the use of male pronouns, but looks physically female, according to description) and then treats that character with disrespect. This happened in th ...more
Kevin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book, the more I read of the series the more it reminds me of another favorite of mine, Zelazny's Amber Series, with multiple alternative worlds. In this book (view spoiler) ...more
Maria Dimitrova
There isn't much to say about this book without spoiling one thing or another. So let's just say that it has everything I liked and have started expecting from The Invisible Library books. Actually I enjoyed this one more than the previous one, mostly because it included more Kai and Vale. Also Alberich makes a much better adversary than the Guantes. Everything else you will need to find out for yourselves!
Claudia
Great as always! Looking forward to the next adventure.

-----

I am beyond excited for this!!!

And books 4 and 5 have already been confirmed!

Emma
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of fun and chaos, as always in this series Irene, Kai and Vale save the day; in which we discover a fae who isn’t all bad; Catherine the great has some strange bed time reading; one library destroyed while another is saved.
Lauren
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! That was a tale of two halves, that's for sure.

The Burning Page reminded me how much I have missed Irene, Kai Strongrock, Peregrine Vale...and yes, even Alberich! The third installment follows Irene as she sets out to retrieve a book from the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg but encounters werewolves, a deceptive Fae and a fantastically thrilling showdown with Alberich along the way.

I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed with the beginning half - usually I can plough through a book th
Lo O'Neill
This book is the third in the Invisible Library Series and it is everything that I have come to expect from the series. It is a fun, exciting, page turner with characters that I love reading about and a fully realised world(s) development.

We picked up right where we left off at the end of the previous book but as with the other two in the series the main plot is started and wrapped up with in the novel, with just a little trail of plot linking each of the books. Which I actually find makes the b
Fedra
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
‘Blind faith is just another word for slavery,’

This series just keeps getting better and better! This is the first one I rate with 5stars and here is why:

🔶The pacing was flawless
🔶There is some humor in it "In fact, we wish to remind all Librarians that they are here to collect books, not dinosaurs."
🔶There is a character who looks like a woman but prefers to be addressed with he/him/his pronounces and choose to be a man instead. Go LGBTQ!
🔶The author built the story of the two previous boo
Nigel
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I guess the first one of these didn't blow me away but I enjoyed. I enjoyed that one enough to make me read the 2nd one. I enjoyed that one enough to make me read this one :) And I'll read the 4th one sometime too.

I like Irene as a character though she is probably the only really good one. Alberich is getting more and more interesting though. Not my favourite in this genre - I guess the Thursday Next early ones would be that - however these really are very readable. Well paced and tense enough w
Mieneke
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
Genevieve Cogman’s The invisible Library series is one of my favourite series of the past years. I love the setting and sensibility of the books, which in many ways reminds me of Emma Newman’s Split Worlds books, which is one of my favourite series of all time. Getting to spend more time with Irene and Kai is always a treat and on that note The Burning Page definitely didn’t disappoint.

The book dealt with some interesting fallout from the last book, The Masked City , what with Kai’s natu
Erin Clemence
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Burning Page” by Genevieve Cogman is the third installment of the Invisible Library series. This was a series I immediately fell in love with- it had everything you would expect from an action-adventure YA novel, except it also included libraries (lots of them!) and the recovery of rare novels from strange and exotic worlds.
In “Page”, Irene (along with her dragon protégé, and friend, Kai) travel to St. Petersburg to “remove” a special edition novel. Time is of the essence as it seems e
The end: spoilers 1 3 Mar 21, 2019 10:45AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Burning Page [Oct 1, 2018] 7 32 Oct 11, 2018 04:49AM
Goodreads Librari...: Translator missing 3 15 Nov 04, 2017 01:03PM
Goodreads Librari...: pub date 2 193 Dec 31, 2016 08:46AM

• False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)
  • The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #4)
Genevieve Cogman got started on Tolkien and Sherlock Holmes at an early age, and has never looked back. But on a perhaps more prosaic note, she has an MSC in Statistics with Medical Applications and has wielded this in an assortment of jobs: clinical coder, data analyst and classifications specialist. Although The Invisible Library is her debut novel, she has also previously worked as a freelance ...more

The Invisible Library (7 books)
  • The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1)
  • The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2)
  • The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library, #4)
  • The Mortal Word (The Invisible Library, #5)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Dark Archive (The Invisible Library, #7)