Start by marking “Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)” as Want to Read:
Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)

Stormy, Misty's Foal

(Misty #3)

A raging storm slashes across Assateague and Chincoteague islands. Water is everywhere The wild ponies and the people must battle for their lives.

In the midst of the storm, Misty-the famous mare of Chincoteague-is about to give birth. Paul and Maureen are frantic with worry as the storm rages on... will Misty and her colt survive?

This is the thrilling story of the hurrican
Published May 22nd 2007 by Aladdin (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Stormy, Misty's Foal, please sign up.
Rachel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
1,250 books — 613 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryA Horse Called Wonder by Joanna Campbell
Best Horse Fiction
333 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Manybooks
Although I was rather taken aback a few years ago when I did research online and realised that while the events portrayed by author Marguerite Henry in the third Misty of Chincoteague novel (in Stormy, Misty's Foal), including the raging springtime tidal storm that devastates the area, are indeed based on actual events, they happened NOT to Paul, Maureen, and Grandma and Grandpa Beebe, but to I think Uncle Ralph Beebe and his family (who took over Pony Ranch, including the ownership of Misty, up ...more
Mom
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Chincoteague stories as much as when I read them as a young child. I long to live there and watch the wild ponies running free.
Audrey
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am currently reading Stormy, Misty's Foal with one of my tutoring students. We make the perfect pair, as she can explain the horse-y elements of the plot and I can explain life in the 1960's.

As Grandpa Beebe and Paul travel up to Deep Hole with their neighbor, the author refers to the fabric scraps that the neighbor has brought along to make flags. I know exactly what a bag of fabric scraps looks like, and why a woman would have one.

One of the scraps, the neighbor tells us, was from his wife's
Kellyn Roth
I adored Misty of Chincoteague, but I just didn't like Story, Misty's Foal as much. It was okay, yes, but it wasn't amazing. I found it pretty sad and seemed to have no actual plot.
Cheryl
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Beebe's, but only in small doses. It's so cute how the strongest support in times of stress is peppermint candy, and next is bacon or ham... no spirits here!

Fans of the horses themselves won't find much to satisfy, here, at least until the end. It really is mostly an adventure tale of the storm. And it's a bit of feminist manifesto, as the reader is more likely to empathize with Maureen's frustrations rather than Grandma's faith in "God's plan" for gender roles.

Btw, I do wish I'd read
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reread 2019: Another happy re-read. Despite the horror of the devastating storm that struck the little islands, which really happened in 1962, I really respond to all the hopefulness in this story. The closeness of the Beebe family, the children who are so concerned for Misty and her unborn foal, the letters that pour in after Stormy's birth, the response to Misty and Stormy's theatrical visits. I will, however, comment on a (hopefully) unintentional bit of humor that I couldn't stop laughing at ...more
Gina
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Marguerite Henry's one weakness: series. What I mean is, there is hardly any continuity between Sea Star and this one. Sea Star doesn't even seem to exist in this book; he's never mentioned. The family as also gained a collie, Skipper, and a cat, Wait-a-Minute, with no explanation. They even mention a puppy they used to have (which was not there in either of the previous books) and don't explain why that one's gone. And it isn't explained how or why Misty is back from her tour around the world.

O
Jodi
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young horse lovers!
Recommended to Jodi by: Billy King Beebe's wife at the Beebe Ranch
We bought this book at the Beebe Ranch in Chincoteague Island when we were there back in July. The book is even signed by Billy King Beebe, who even though he is not named in the story because Marguerite Henry kept the names Paul and Maureen from her first book about the island, is the boy who these events happened to in real life! Pretty cool! We got to walk up the stairs Misty walked up into the house and see the kitchen where she stayed during the storm. We also got to see the real Misty and ...more
Tiffany
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Molly says we should give this five stars, but I’m gonna stick with four. We are enjoying this series so much.
Sheila
I should have just left this as something I loved as a child. I have always loved the Marguerite Henry horse books, and one of the first Breyer horses I ever bought as a young girl was of Stormy, Misty's foal (probably because it was small so it was less expensive and I could afford it, but also because I just loved it).

So now I have read this lovely horse story to my daughter, and relived the terrible storm, and all of the ponies that died, and Misty living and surviving in the Beebe's kitchen
Heather
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Spoiler alert: my 7 year old daughter considered giving this 5 stars, but lowered her rating because the foal isn't born until 3/4 of the way thru the book. The story concentrates on a huge storm and how the people handle it. While animals are a part of the story, they are secondary too often too the people for my animal loving daughter's comfort.
Christian West
A romanticised account of how the 1962 Ash Wednesday storms hit Chincoteague Island and how the Beebe family and their pregnant horse Misty survived.

I quite enjoyed this book, it focused less on the horses and more on the family (so some of the reviews from horse lovers are less glowing). I liked how the two female characters had differing opinions of female roles in society, with the teenage girl fighting against the grandmother's definitions of what a girl should do. I also liked that this was
Cindy Kubley
Happy endings

This a great story that demonstrates the people of a small island resolve after a disastrous storm nearly destroys their way of life. A real feel good story that leaves you feeling satisfied and content.
Rena Sherwood
This is the grittiest and arguably the most fact-based book Marguerite Henry ever wrote, about the time of the great Ash Wednesday nor'easter of 1962 -- a storm so powerful that it permanently changed the shape of the Eastern seaboard. It also killed 40 people, countless animals and did damage like this:

description

During this time, the celebrated Misty of Chincoteague was heavily pregnant with her third and final foal, Stormy. (Incidentally, Stormy would be the only foal of Misty's to survive to maturity.
Rachael
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class-books
In the book Stormy, Misty’s Foal, by Marguerite Henry, Paul and Maureen Beebe reluctantly evacuate their home on Chincoteague Island with their grandparents, as a huge storm washes over their island. The worst part is that they have to leave their beloved pregnant pony Misty on the island. As the days pass by, the Beebe’s have to be exceptionally strong, while their pony is trapped on the flooding island and when they finally return home, they find Misty and her newborn Stormy, unharmed. I belie ...more
Molly Cline
This is book 3 of the Misty series. You don't have to have read the others first, but it does help in understanding about past emotions and characters.

In this one Misty is expecting a foul and the children are worried about her. But in the mist of watching for the birth a major weather event comes in and people are asked to leave the island. But the family doesnt' want to leave Misty behind. But as usual the family put their thinking caps on and work together as a family and save Misty and her
Deborah Janik
I feel the same about this book as I did the first in the series. That is, I would've liked it when I was in third grade. Now that I'm older, I don't quite have that same love of horses or ponies. I thought it was a neat story, and it was really interesting to see a children's book that dealt with natural disaster. I love anthropology and so seeing how people (especially in a more historical setting) face tragic and disastrous times has always been really fascinating to me. I still have one more ...more
Lara
Hard to rate this one - I remember reading it as a youngster, and presumably enjoying it. Re-reading it, I found it rather dated, a bit condescending and the characters' obsession with Misty a bit hard to understand. Interesting to read the (fictional) experience of a community affected by a major flood, particularly as it seems little has changed.
Tara Choate
I have no memory of reading this as a child, though I am sure I did. I am a little disappointed as so far this is very little about "horses" and more just about people. Also, frankly, the writing is just weaker.
Kimi
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-w-bubba
spoiler alert: You don't find out that the mamma horse and her foal are safe until Chapter 18. That's a long time if you're 7 years old and this is being read chapter-by-chapter as a nighttime story. Excellent story nonetheless, and based on true events for the islanders.
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
As with Misty of Chincoteague, we listened to this on CD. For some reason, Logan, who is 5, didn't enjoy this one as much.
Laurie
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorites as a kid, but it doesn't quite hold up all these years later! It's a whole lot sadder than I remember too.
Joy Gerbode
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a lovely story of horses, of storms, of people, and how they weather the storms, and how they bounce back and work together to rebuild after the storms, and just all around a feel-good story.
Jules
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
If a children's author wrote a beloved story about an adorable puppy who was born during the Katrina hurricane in New Orleans, it still wouldn't be as cute as Stormy.

Jekka Jones
Mar 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Not as good as the first, but still a fun one for horse-lovers
Anna Cavallo
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many of the other posters, I read Misty of Chincoteague when I was a child and loved it. I then went on to read all of Marguerite Henry's books. Recently my daughter and her children vacationed in the area of Assateague and Chincoteague Islands. I had forgotten all about the wild horses, but my daughter's experience made me recall the book about Misty. My public library no longer carried it so I ordered it. The book is just as good as I remembered it to be.

My only complaint is the claim tha
Kendall
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book with my girls as a bedtime story. They absolutely loved reading Misty together, so they were excited to continue on with the story of Misty in this book. The anticipation of the birth of her first foal - along with the build up to the storm on Chincoteague and its aftermath- made for an engaging read. It's always nice to find a book to read to my kids that I can enjoy as much as they do!
Lmichelleb
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is something so down to earth about the Beebe family, and so touching about the way they handle difficult times together, that I often had to read through a lump in my throat. There is something deeper to this simple story, and I am glad we read it aloud as a family to have the shared memories. My children begged to read this one night after night before bed or at meal times. They grew to love the Beebe family and Misty and her foal too!
Caleb
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this book, a severe storm disrupts the entire town, forcing them to evacuate. This is very upsetting for the two main characters. They worry about how the town will be able to bounce back from this awful blow as they prepare for special events that the town hosts. I thought this was a good story.
Lindsay Bragg
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Again, beautiful story-telling with very little plot. I love the "old-timey" feel of the series.

What happened to Sea Star, the pony the adopted in the last book? For a book with no plot, it had an awful lot of plot holes...(breathe, Lindsay, it's a children's book).
Goodreads Librari...: UK cover 1 13 Apr 02, 2016 07:31AM
Upper Elementary ...: Stormy, Misty's Foal 1 5 Jul 12, 2014 06:49AM
just wanted to know 8 27 Nov 08, 2013 05:38AM
so cute 1 18 May 25, 2008 10:32PM
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Summer Pony
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • National Velvet
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more

Misty (4 books)
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague (Misty, #2)
  • Misty's Twilight (Misty, #4)