Start by marking “Defeating Jihad: The Winnable War” as Want to Read:
Defeating Jihad: The Winnable War

Defeating Jihad: The Winnable War

Now a New York Times bestseller!

America is at war. The fight against global jihad has cost 7,000 American lives and almost $2 trillion, and yet, most Americans do not understand what is at stake. The public lacks knowledge and safety because two presidents and their administrations neglected the most basic strategic question: who is the enemy?
Presidents Bush and Obama bo
Published April 11th 2016 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Defeating Jihad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defeating Jihad

Rex Fuller
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent short history of Islamism or muslim war against the West. The prescription for winning that war is (perhaps surprisingly) drawn from the policy used to defeat the last totalitarian challenge to democracy, that of the Soviet Union. Certainly not surprisingly, it makes clear that religion IS involved in the Islamist attack and that defeating it begins with recognizing it and speaking about it in clear terms.

Outstanding.
Negin
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a quick, interesting, and enlightening read. It addresses the important issue of radical Islam. The book is especially timely and here I will quote: “The year 2015 was the deadliest for jihadist plots and attacks in America since September 11, 2001. We are losing this war both in the Middle East and on the streets of the United States. There will be more attacks like those in Boston and San Bernardino unless we change the way we think about the threat to the homeland. There is no such th ...more
Owlseyes on notre dame, it's so strange a 15-hour blaze and...
ARGUMENT
Dr. Sebastian Gorka May Be a Far-Right Nativist, But for Sure He’s a Terrible Scholar
A closer look at the doctoral dissertation of President Trump’s expert on “radical Islamist terrorism.”
IN: http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/17/d...
Matthew
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Given the times, it is sad to say, but *everyone* should read this book.

I regularly watch the news, I listen to the politicians and pundits prattle non-sensibly, and I regularly read up on events in the Middle East and Afghanistan. I am no expert, not by a long shot, but it is say that I do have a casual interest that exceeds the average.

And yet I found the organization and presentation of Gorka's book absolutely outstanding and enlightening.

The book is mainly a historical perspective - and a
Dean
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great insights into the mindset or ideology of the bad guys from the guy who does the same for our Warriors from his professorship at the Marine Corps University. Uses the template of our defeat of two previous totalitarian adversaries (Nazism in WW II & Soviet Union in the Cold War) for the defeat of this third totalitarian adversary, radical Islam). Reader warning......not politically correct.
Alan
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book for all Americans who wish to understand the fundamentals and tenants of Jihad. This very informative quick read will educate and instruct readers on the different versions of Islam and what each of us must do to protect our families and country from radical extremists. Well done.
Bonnie Palmer
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For anyone seeking an overview of what motivates Islamic Jihadist terrorism, this is an excellent and concise read. The author also gives some great insights into the history of Jihadism and what the West needs to do to stop it from spreading further. I highly recommend reading this book.
Kathi
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“A book every American should read.”

I agree.

A few years ago, our son-in-law, a special operations soldier, told me in explicit terms about the grave danger of the Islamic State to Western Civilization. He gave details to support his belief, and they were frightening.

In the months that followed, I have read articles and listened to reports that supported our son-in-law’s report. Dr. Gorka’s book, however, is the best book for backround information that I have read so far. Gorka writes about the
Robert
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
THIS IS GARBAGE. I have an Master's degree in International Security Studies and focused on counterinsurgency policy in the MENA region. I have a decent idea what I am talking about when it comes to counterinsurgency and Takfiri-inspired violence.

Sebastian Gorka has done a poor job rehashing a history of Islam and his strategies are so incredibly naive it makes me question his knowledge of counter-terrorism and transnational terrorist groups. He spends so much time drawing vague connections bet
Lisa
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
Gorka is an interesting guy. I love listening to him when he is interviewed. He clearly knows his stuff well. In the book he provides his personal history which motivated him to study stopping jihadism, and he provides very interesting historical perspective on how the current mess evolved as well as providing sage advice for how to stop it. Two criticisms: one, when discussing the fact that Attaturk wanted to create a nation (Turkey) that was Westernized and *not* a caliphate, Gorka almost made ...more
M Pereira
Jim Brown
WE ARE AT WAR, JUST LIKE WWII. This is not a long book but it IS a book that EVERYONE should read, PERIOD! Sebastain Gorka's family lived through the horrors of WWII and Germany occupation and he has since become a student of warfare tactics but more importantly the Caliphate and its desire for world domination - MEANING THE TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF AMERICA AND OUR WAY OF LIFE.

Americans civilians joined forces during WWII to help fight the Evil Axis of Germany, Italy and Japan while our forces were
Caeruleum
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Well, just thanks to the 2/3 of the book I learned that, first of all, the author is a proud Hungarian, that Hungary was terribly humiliated twice in the last 100 years, that Communism killed 100 million people, that the author is a proud American, that Wahhabism was created in the 18th century as a weapon against the British colonialism, that the author is a proud American (yes, again), that the USA (just the USA) defeated Nazi Germany and Communist Russia, that terrorism has nothing to do with ...more
Elizabeth Warton
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an eye opener! Everyone must read this book to understand why terror happens today to the extent and cruelty we are facing. Another highly recommended book on the Cyber aspects of today's threat (not covered by Gorka) is Cyber Terror: How It Happens And What We Can Do. These two books will give you the necesary background and undersatnding of modern terror and cyber terror threats.
Don
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
know yourself, freedom of individual, them or us, new president new mistakes, many Obama drones became recruiting platform, submission not peace, the islamic state, media assault young professionals, 29% Americans kill Americans, one must destroy other us or them, we must have determination per Constitution Bill of Rights Declaration of Independence, deploy the truth as an example calling out the evil empire of soviets, help other governments win by their self, win war at home by shared ideology ...more
Rob
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is really more of a history (of both totalitarian communism and of Islamic Jihad) along with a very superficial examination of Jihadist theology and some of the key figures in the IS and other groups. There isn't much strategy for actually "defeating" Jihad in this book though - the entire book reads like a prologue to a 14 page section where the author basically just says to substitute "Jihad" for "Communism" in the Kennan letter.
Monica
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well presented and informative.

This book was very informative and concise considering the complex subject matter. I would recommend this to anyone who cares about our great country and our continued liberty. The more we know the better prepared we are to defend ourselves and our freedom.
Bryn Dunham
A primer for the average (but perhaps less read or informed reader) about the threat posed by Islamic global jihadists. Pretty basic and simple read. Not at all deep and comprehensive as other works out there, so if you have not read too many books about this topic starting with this book might be an ideal place to start.
Fred Leland
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great resource

Outstanding book on the current threat with ideas on how to spot it. Talks about strategies necessary to defeat and gives a great background on the Islamic State. I highly recommend the book.
Jenine Young
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was expecting something very right wing politically written.
I was surprised to find this book was 80% the history of Jihad. It was very clear and concise compared to most things I've attempted to read about it.
The last 20% was about what we can do to fight the war on terror as individuals.
Folmonty
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn't surprised by anything in the book. Somewhat predictable. Seems more about how countries recognize the issue more than dealing with the fallout of terror. Jihad can be many different things. Best part of the book was the forward. Personal story about Sebastian's father.
Bobbie
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book although he seemed to spend a lot of time describing the history of the Jihadists and only a short time actually outlining how to defeat them. But then again, as he described in the book, knowing your enemy is crucial to defeating them
Jeff
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short but essential read for truly understanding the evolution of the Islamic State and what it will take to vanquish enemy. This is a global jihad that goes beyond the mission of even the 9/11 attacks, so my use of "enemy" is unfortunately appropriate when applied to the new caliphate.
Scott
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Reads like a high school report. He never does get around to his plan -- unless it's the three pages before the afterword. The rest is padding, opinion, and political spin. Blech.
Rosemary
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book should become required reading.
Matt
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars and a nice read over the weekend. Another one of those books that all Americans, Jews, and Judeo-Christians need to read.
# Read up My Friends !
Paul Sutliff
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells very little if anything about Islamic terrorism. It says more about the Cold War! IT WAS NOT WORTH MY TIME!
Ken
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent primer on the global war against Muslim terrorism.
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story the author tells in his introduction is superb. The rest of the book is a good overview of key issues.
Tom Peterson
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Had some decent points...but I couldnt help but know who the author was
  • The Field of Fight: How We Can Win the Global War Against Radical Islam and Its Allies
  • It IS About Islam: Exposing the Truth About ISIS, Al Qaeda, Iran, and the Caliphate
  • The Problem with Socialism
  • Hunter Killer: Inside America's Unmanned Air War
  • Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph
  • Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom
  • Disinformation
  • Our Lost Constitution: The Willful Subversion of America's Founding Document
  • The Tyranny of Silence
  • 8 Seconds of Courage: A Soldier's Story from Immigrant to the Medal of Honor
  • The Second Amendment:: Preserving the Inalienable Right of Individual Self-Protection
  • All Out War: The Plot to Destroy Trump
  • The Future of Strategy
  • Exceptional: Why the World Needs a Powerful America
  • Fascism Viewed from the Right
  • Inspector Oldfield and the Black Hand Society: America's Original Gangsters and the U.S. Postal Detective Who Brought Them to Justice
  • The Crisis of Parliamentary Democracy
  • Kearny's March: The Epic Creation of the American West, 1846-1847
American military and intelligence analyst, a professor and a member of the national security advisory staff under the Trump administration.

Gorka has written for a variety of publications and is generally considered politically conservative.

Gorka specializes in irregular warfare, counterinsurgency and counterterrorism.
“The Obama administration has a strange theory. Terrorism is a response of uneducated human beings who have been disenfranchised politically and economically. If we can solve the ‘root grievances’ of the poor and oppressed around the world, there will be no more terrorists, and Americans will be safe. This view is of course absurd. If poverty, lack of education, and political disenfranchisement were the causes of terrorism, then much of India and most of China would be populated by terrorists. But they are not. And this is because terrorism is the violent expression of ideology, not objective conditions—what has famously been called ‘propaganda of the deed.’ The terrorist’s ideology may be secular and political—communist or fascist, for example—or it may be religious—Christian, Islamic, or even Hindu.” 4 likes
“You cannot win a war if you cannot talk honestly about the enemy Since the 9/11 attacks, political correctness and ideological prejudice—under both Republican and Democratic presidents—have distorted our analysis of the enemy, preventing us from drawing an effective plan to defeat the likes of Al Qaeda and the Islamic State. The Obama administration, blinded by its own preconceived ideas of why terrorism occurs, is influenced by malevolent actors who have an interest in censoring any talk of the religious aspects of the enemy’s ideology. At the highest level of the U.S. government, terrorism is deemed to be the result of poverty, unemployment, and lack of political enfranchisement. This fallacy must be jettisoned. We are not at war with Islam. The people most immanently in danger, in fact, are the nonviolent and non-extremist Muslims of the Middle East, such as our allies in Jordan and the modern Muslims of Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. They are on the most important front of this war, and they understand just how much religion truly matters. We do a great disservice to those brave Muslims when we try to convince the world that the threat will disappear if enough people have good jobs and sound educations.” 4 likes