Start by marking “The Cathedral of Cliffdale (Guardians of Summerfeld, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cathedral of Cliffdale (Guardians of Summerfeld, #1)

The Cathedral of Cliffdale (Guardians of Summerfeld #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Beyond the limits of mankind’s understanding there exists a City, created as a sanctuary for the survivors of a brutal and bloody war.

Within the city of Summerfeld the last mythical creatures live out their days in peace, fiercely protected by twelve immortals: brave defenders known as the Guardians.

A Guardian is dead. For the first time in one thousand years, no replacem
Published January 19th 2016 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Cathedral of Cliffdale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cathedral of Cliffdale

Dianne
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you have a favorite magical creature? Discover where all of those fairytale creatures went to survive and fall into a magical tale filled with tension, sense of duty, and a threat to those who live in the enchanted city of Summerfeld. Melissa Delport opens the veil to Summerfeld and invites us in with The Cathedral of Cliffdale where trolls, werewolves, unicorns and dragons live in relative harmony and safety all because twelve guardians protect their secrets and their lives on the Earth plan ...more
Gina
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Werewolves and vampires and unicorns, oh my!

Let me just say, right off the bat, that I loved this book. I loved the characters and the utterly unique take on the fantasy genre.

Quinn is a Guardian who has lost her way, torn between her destiny and her family. The story takes us along with Quinn as she starts to reconcile the two parts of her life. Quinn is so completely relatable, she could be me. I followed her highs and lows with baited breath and I can’t wait to see how her story unfolds.

I a
Shirae Verster
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I blame Melissa Delport entirely for my current haggard appearance! I was unable to put this book down and found myself sneaking off and hiding in the most bizarre places just so that I wouldn't be disturbed.

An absolutely wonderful story, I can't wait to read the next one in the series!

Faeries, dragons, vampires, werewolves and more, woven into such a believable story which leaves the reader wanting more!

Thank you so much Melissa!
Christelle Rodway
To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about reading this book initially. My thoughts were along the lines of 'vampire, werewolves, Fae, trolls, unicorns AND dragons!? Come on, a bit OTT? How is the author going to bring it all together?

However I was quickly surprised at how much I loved it! Loved how the characters (all unique) developed and how their stories, almost teasingly (is that a word?) unravelled. Cannot wait for the next book! I would highly recommend this book.
Crystal
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am rather embarrassed to admit that this is my first Melissa Delport book. Her name keeps coming up and several friends have been raving about her books. I can now see why and will definitely be adding them all to my to be read pile.

I don’t usually like series. I find myself staying up late to find out how a book ends and it is frustrating to know there might not be a proper ending until the end of the series. There is also the fear that the author will not finish the series.

At least in this c
Dominique White
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first Melissa Delport read, but I can assure you it won't be my last. I enjoyed reading this, the first in the Guardians of Summerfeld series, very much. Not familiar with fantasy fiction I came to this novel from a completely different angle, that of a YA researcher on a quest of my own, but nevertheless found I was able to keep up with the different mythical creatures due to Melissa Delport's deft charactarisation skills. Furthermore "The Cathedral of Cliffdale" has a good, tight, ...more
Fiona Wilson
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
As a teenager I loved stories which involved mythical creatures. This continues today, and I am always looking for a new series of books to indulge my fantasy cravings. When I was asked by the author if I would like to read the first in her fantasy series I was more than happy to oblige.

There are a lot of different strands to this story. We have a young woman who is raising her niece and nephew following the death of her beloved twin sister. She is doing a great job, and loves them as if they we
Monique Snyman
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Delport is back! And this time, she's got a high fantasy in store for readers, with the first book in her newest series: Guardians of Summerfeld. Unlike The Legacy Trilogy (which I adored), this series is not dystopian in nature. Don't fret, though. Melissa Delport shows her versatility as a writer with such ease, you'll fall in love with this new book of hers in no time. So relax. Breathe ...
The Cathedral of Cliffdale is filled with magical elements that includes an array of magical cre
Christopher Conrady
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy enthusiasts.
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
The story begins with Quinn Harden, our female protagonist, as she fights a feeling of dread that has come to plague her life. Her beautiful nephew and niece are bundled together in bed, and Quinn is reading them a fairy tale. Little do young Jack and Ava know that the stories Quinn reads to them at night have more truth than tale. Little does Quinn know how right she is to be worried: her world is about to be turned on its head, Jack and Ava will be taken away from her, and Quinn will be asked ...more
Lara
Free ebook in an exchange for an honest review.

This book follows Quinn Harden, who gives up her role as a Guardian in the city of Summerfeld so she could take care of her sisters' kids after the murder of her sister. But soon enough, her nephew and niece get kidnapped and Quinn gets torn between her family and her duties.

This book was great and right up my alley with all the magical creatures and an interesting world. When I read the premise I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. The writ
Shanice Singh
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, print-books
I really enjoyed this book. At first it was confusing since there's so many characters and so many supernatural creatures. Once I really got into the book though it was great. There's several group of people- the guardians, the Vampires, the gypsies and the humans- but they're all after one thing. Summerfield.
Quinn has abandoned her duty as a Guardian to take care of her niece and nephew. However her father and fellow Guardians demand that she returns to Summerfield. To ensure her co-operation t
Angelique Pacheco
If I’m being honest, I must say that until now I DID NOT LIKE FANTASY NOVELS, so I began reading this book with trepidation. I needn’t have worried. This book has made me fall in love with fantasy. It has everything. Drama, adventure, mystery and romance. Melissa weaves a beautiful complex world for her characters and I see the places as clearly as if they existed and as though I was there. The characters grow and develop steadily and you can’t help wanting to know them personally. The flow of t ...more
Cassey
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books is an amazing start to what seems will a knock it out of the park series. I love the protagonist, Quinn. She is all that you would expect from someone who has lead the life that she has. Her fierce determination to protect, and care for those she loves is shown time and time again as a core part of who she is that drives her actions.

The parts of the book that dovetails into other stories, isn't for me. I want this to be the Quinn and Drake show all the time ;)

It's a wonderful read, t
Nadré Wiggill
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I finally read this after procrastinating for about a month.

The story starts off a bit slow, but around 25% things started getting interesting. Then, around 62% it got REALLY interesting. At 85% I realised that I'm going have to read the other 2 as well...

As this is not my usual preferred genre, I was very skeptical when I started reading this. I needn't have worried. Melissa once again wrote a book full of relatable characters and intriguing plotlines.

I would recommend this for Harry Potte
Kathleen Gee
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cathedral of Cliffdale is an enchanting and captivating book. I was hooked from the first page. The book starts with Quinn reading a fairy tale to the twins.....little do they know that it is not a story at all....I loved the first page. I just could not put this book down. I loved every page. I had to find out if the Guardians unite...what happens to the twins...and don't forget the dragon eggs!!! I cannot wait to start the 2nd book!!
Mya
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The blurb for this book isn't very gripping. Thankfully I bought the series based entirely on the awesome covers :-)

I wasn't too sure what to expect (especially after reading the blurb). In the end it was a fast-paced and enjoyable tale (with some unfortunate text layout errors along the way - but thankfully those were few and far between and not too distracting).

The story starts with Quinn who is raising the twin children of her dead sister. The children are kidnapped by "The Gaurdians", a grou
Ann O'Nymos
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Where have all the mythical creatures gone? Well, what's left of them is safe for now and guarded by the Guardians of Sommerfeld. For a thousand years, since the war between the vampires and the rest of the magic world has started, there are 12 guardians who keep the remainder safe from the vampires. But it seems that things are changing. Not all guardians feel totally obligated anymore to the guardian way, leaving all and everybody behind. And not all vampires seek the destruction of the mythic ...more
Annette
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to get up in 2 hours but this book is so good I had to get to the end . . I really want to get book 2 immediately but know that at some point I must sleep.

Melissa Delport brings each character to life and you can almost see the cornflower field where the unicorn come. Safely ensconced in the magical city hidden from man's eye and those that seek them harm, the remaining supernatural creatures live protected by the guardians. Vampires, sworn enemies of all because of a death centuries ear
Deborah
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story with interesting characters

This book has a bit of everything with families, unicorns, warewolfs & vampires. The main characters are well written with enough background to keep you reading to see how they cope with the changing situation
Sharon Hughson
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting premise, but the execution fell short for me. 3.9 out of five stars.
Monique
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great start. I suspect book 2 will be even better now that the world building is established and the story can ramp up into action!
Lillian
I received an eARC of this book from I Am a Reader in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Cathedral of Cliffdale
by Melissa Delport is the first in a new paranormal series that reminds me a lot of Anne Bishop’s series The Others. In Delport’s Guardians of Summerfeld, a Guardian is dead and for the first time in a millennium a replacement hasn’t come forward. Quinn Harden is the twin sister of the dead Guardian and feeling a r
Zoltán Orosz
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Cathedral of Cliffdale or a Grown-up fairy tale

I’m a bit confused about this book. I want to love it so hard and yet, I don’t feel like I had a burning night with a wild lover, but a first-date with a really intelligent girl, hiding her deep secrets behind glasses.

But let’s start from the beginning. I received a copy of this book from a read-and-write-a-review pull. I tried this 50 times before, but I’ve never actually won in it, so I was pretty surprised to succeed. With the first excitemen
Caryn Welby-Solomon
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the biggest challenges of the fantasy genre is being able to build a world that is both believable and rich, and Melissa Delport does that excellently from Summerhall to Cliffdale, I could almost feel the chill in the atmosphere, or imagined the setting encloses of all the mythical creatures. Delport completely achieved the transportation of the readers’ minds to a different realm.

Another thing I thoroughly enjoyed about this book was that the story was told from multiple sources, it cen
Ester
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book without any preconceived notions. I hadn’t read any other reviews or blurbs, so I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I had previously read Rainfall and I loved that, so I was eager to see how a different genre would compare.
I really liked the concept of the human guardians, and the many mythical creatures they protect. I am not generally a fan of vampire stories, but it was quite interesting how they fitted into this story. They were cast as the main villains, bu
Kat Silver
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
An epic, paranormal fantasy with intriguing characters and a strong story line.
Did I mention, proudly South African? *throws confetti*

Right from the start we’re thrown into this epic story and introduced to Quinn’s tale of responsibility as a guardian (a protector of the magical world) and role as a loving aunt (to her niece and nephew). The weight of the magical world is resting on her shoulders when she is called to fulfil her duties as a guardian but Quinn has lost her way and is torn between
ella {amor deliria nervosa}
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy or mythical creatures
Shelves: series-waiting
Imagine a world were a war wages between all the magical creatures you love and, maybe, fear. The Cathedral of Cliffdale lets you step into that world of vampires, werewolves, unicorns and more.
A thousand years ago the beings of myths roamed the earth freely. But when a war broke loose between the fae and the vampires everything changed. Now the last remaining creatures live protected by the twelve guardians inside the walls of Summerfeld, where no vampire can harm them.

Quinn has been a guardia
Tracey Chananie
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes and no, it did/not take me almost 2 months to read this magical book - I tend to read more than 1 book at a time ... 3 over this period!

Humans; unicorns; faeries; werewolves; Guardians; hunters; gypsies; vampires - mythical magical creatures & forms abound in this book. Twins Quinn & Avery are Guardians Of Summerfeld, a much sought after place where the last supernatural beings live in safety. Vampires do not live Summerfeld. Vampires are the enemy of all enemies!

Quinn has left Summe
Ranita
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have got to say that I didn't think that I would like this book, let alone finish it in two days and love it.
As a lover of the mythical/paranormal/fantasy genre, this story really caught my attention and held it throughout the story. The protagonist is a strong female character, that holds so much love for her family, which is the ultimate driver of the story. Even with that love, she at times finds herself torn between her family and her sense of duty to protect the wards. I also love how wh
Ashley Anne
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Copy of ‘The Cathedral of Cliffdale’ by Melissa Delport provided in exchange for review.

Where to even start! This introduction to the ‘Guardians of Summerfeld’ series was my first read of a purely fantasy-based novel (not YA or romantically influenced for once –that’s right: just fantasy) and it did not disappoint! Action and excitement seemed to follow Quinn wherever she was. With so much going on around Quinn, and so many additional story lines to follow, I found that the story did not lack at
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Zululand Snow
  • The Aberration
  • Trial By Fire (Going Down in Flames, #3)
  • Entranced: Part Two (Guardian Academy #1b)
  • Violet's Story (Creepy Hollow Books 1, 2 & 3)
  • Thing Bailiwick: A Collection of Horror
  • Poison (The Dragonian, #3.5)
  • Soulless (Once Wicked Series, #2)
  • Spring in Hyde Park
  • The Path Of Destiny (The Cremelino Prophecy #1)
  • Reckless (Wrecked, #2)
  • Fantasy of Frost (Tainted Accords, #1)
  • The Blue Door (Threshold #1)
  • Last Stand (The Black Mage, #4)
  • Pitch Black (Blackwood Security, #1)
  • Demons in Disguise (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #3)
  • Bone by Bone
  • Absolute Love (Absolute Series, #1)

Guardians of Summerfeld (4 books)
  • The Fight of the Fallen (Guardians of Summerfeld, #2)
  • The Hope of Hawkstone (Guardians of Summerfeld, #3)
  • The Balance of the Blood (Guardians of Summerfeld, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)