Start by marking “Walking Sam: A Lake Harriet Novel” as Want to Read:
Walking Sam: A Lake Harriet Novel

Walking Sam: A Lake Harriet Novel

Love isn’t always a walk in the park…

Ryan Collier has lived a quiet life with his golden retriever, Sam, and two orange tabbies since the death of his wife nearly three years ago. His friends and family are encouraging him to move on and find someone to share his life with, but Ryan feels he’ll never find anyone he’ll love as much as his wife. Ryan reluctantly starts going
Published March 22nd 2016 by Deanna Lynn Sletten

To ask other readers questions about Walking Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Sam

Start your review of Walking Sam: A Lake Harriet Novel
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This book was very sweet. It is like visiting old friends. Walking Sam is a book that makes you feel very happy while you read and it and long after you finish it. I love those feel good stories that make you believe in love and the power of friendship. Walking Sam is one of those heartwarming books. Grab it today, you won't regret it.
Liz Sergent
May 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At first this book read like a Debbie Macomber book and I was excited to have another author on my bookshelf.....then I started getting into the book.....
Ryan a widower is just getting back in the dating scene. Kristen divorced just bought the house next door to Ryan. Sam short for Samantha, Ryan's dog is loved by all.
First of all, why such the big deal that Sam is a girl dog, that was mentioned too much in the book. Like for sure I meet a dog, told is name and immediately question why it has a
Margaret Gaven
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A beautiful love story!
Lori Hoetzel
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Kami
Apr 19, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Had to give up at 15% when the two main characters meet for the first time. She was just rude, judgmental and a hypocrite! She’s 32 & dating a guy in his 50’s but apparently seeing a 25 year old leave her neighbor’s (the H) house early morning- him being 38. This was cause for her to be rude???!!! Nope. I don’t care what her back story is, he did nothing but introduce himself. ...more
Pat Allen
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nicer love story

Kristen buys a lovely older house in a leafy suburb. As a nurse of cancer patients, she needs times to relax. Her next-door neighbour is grieving after losing his beautiful sweet wife to a brain aneurysim after only 10 years of marriage.
He is persuaded to go out for drinks and womanizing one night, and ends up sleeping with a very young woman.
His neighbour sees her leaving in the morning. She in turn is seeing a man 18 years older than her. He is a 50-year old specialist. Ne
Diann
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs, kindle, library
I am struggling to review this book.

There were times when I thought it was great and times when I was rolling my eyes.

In the category of "A good beach read," I will say that it is well written and has good character development.

However, as a former pediatric oncology nurse, I found the patient-nurse relationship disturbing. This story could have been told without using a young, dying patient as the catalyst for an adult relationship. Hence, my 3 stars.

With that being said, as a dog-lover, I
Shirley
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!😊

This is a very heartfelt story with characters who seem like friends you can relate to. Kristen and Ryan were next door neighbors who shared walks in the park with the star of the book, Sam. Sam is a golden retriever who fell in love with Kristen when they first met after Kirsten moved in next door. While Ryan was still grieving from the death of his wife three years before, Kirsten was dating a successful, older doctor. To find out how Sam keeps these two interested, you'll hav
J. Florence
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a really good book. A little predictable, but a good book. A nice quick read.

Ryan was trying to get back into the dating game after losing his wife and Kristen was a divorcee that moved into the house next door.
Sam was the dog that belonged to Ryan, and choose Kristen from the get go. She loved to be with her. I thought maybe she reminded Sam of Ryan's wife.

They had their ups and downs. He dated someone she thought was too young for him and she dated someone that he thoug
Jody
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Ryan has been unlucky in the love department. His beloved wife passed away and now his friend is encouraging him to go out and meet women. Too bad it is at the bar and the women are young!

Kristen moved in next door. She has an ex-husband and a new boyfriend, who is a busy surgeon.

Kristen and Ryan develop a friendship thanks in part to Ryan's dog, Sam. Sam loves Kristen and she takes care of him when Ryan is away and takes him for walks to the park.

The characters in this book are very likable an
Elaine
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-challeng
Sam, short for Samatha, is a cute dog and an important part of this story. Lots of mix-ups cause Ryan and Kristen, two neighbors, to overcome many uncertain moments. They are drawn to each other but somehow don't realize that one can't judge by appearance only. They finally find that they are only happy when they are together, along with Sam!
A nice read.
Baby girl
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book on love, love lost, finding love again, and not letting misunderstandings get in the way of a happily ever after. This book made me giggle, cry, and believe in life's second chances. Ryan, Sam, Kristen, and Gabbie's characters truly complimented each other. A truly wonderful read.
Terry Trahan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet romance

I loved the storyline. Being a 'dog' person, I knew I had to read this one! Both Kristen and Ryan had been through tragedy, yet they fought their way through to their happy ever after.
Dana
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE books that feature a dog as one of the main components of the story.
It was a good book in and of itself - filled with hope that even after tragedy, good can happen and happiness can be found.
Kat
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Catherine Geist
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad but loving

This book was such a great read.It had some times in it but more loving between the characters.It took a long time to get things straight. But not once could I put it down.It makes a point that not everything is what it appears.
Mary E
Apr 12, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best stories I have read in a while.

I read a lot of books and within this genre, this one stands out. I cannot pick it apart and tell you why I feel it is so good, I just do.
Tritz
May 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
As far as I concer, not only is the story very predictable but also really boring, nothing interesting happen during the whole story. And Kristen? she is very judgemental about Ryan, she should pay attention to her own acts.
Bobbi
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Predictable but a sweet.
Janet Friesner
This is the third book I have read by this author. Have enjoyed all of them. Have three more on my reader to read in due time. They are easy to read and have good stories.
Ellen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great fast read. Loved how the pets brought two lonely people together.
Celia
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story But..

Felt like the story dragged on and on. Great writing but again the story dragged on and on. I But it was a g story.
Sheri Barton
Shelves: oct
Cute story!
Peggy Jantz
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author, but will certainly not be my last. I enjoyed the story very much and was drawn in by the different characters. An easy read!
Donna
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful love story

Walking Sam is a beautiful love story, made even sweeter because of Sam, the dog. Sadness occurs but is soon replaced by happiness.
Barbara Shea
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable

It was a good down to earth love story. Easy read . I felt like I was reading a Nicholas Sparks book. Very predictable but I enjoyed it.
Michele
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan and Kristen

A great read. Love the characters, inclusive of Sam. Loss, grief and second chances and hope abound. So well crafted. Does not disappoint.
Linda Rae Williams
Great

Decisions, decisions! Walking the path to the right one is not always easy. Well written. Good in every way. Well done!
B.E.
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice little romance, sweet and fun with a little sad and a good happy-ever-after.

• More than Friends in the Middle of Main Street (Nestled Hollow, #3)
  • Mountain Hearts (Peakview, Colorado, #9)
  • Chasing Rainbows (Love in a Bottle Book 1)
  • A Match Made in Ireland
  • Chalk it up to Love (Aspen Ridge, #1)
  • Cowboy Reckoning ( Cowboys of Cattle Cove #1)
  • Saltwater Cove (a Westcott Bay Novel Book 1)
  • Sunset on Whisling Island (Whisling Island series Book 1)
  • Mail Order Grace (Bluebonnet Brides Book 1)
  • Longing for Forever (Sunset Bay Romance, #1)
  • Tangled Vines
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock #2)
  • The Family Journal
  • The Banty House
  • Hometown Girl After All (Hometown #2)
  • Moose Be Love (Sunset Ridge, #1)
  • Love's Trial (First Street Church Romances #5)
  • A Lake House Holiday
Deanna Lynn Sletten is the author of MISS ETTA, THE WOMEN OF GREAT HERON LAKE, MAGGIE'S TURN, THE LAKE HARRIET SERIES, and several other titles. She writes heartwarming women's fiction and romance novels with unforgettable characters. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime. Deanna believes in fate, destiny, love at first sight, soul mates, second ...more