Start by marking “The Final Virus” as Want to Read:
The Final Virus

The Final Virus

A YA novel set in the future.
Kindle Edition
Published April 2016

Start your review of The Final Virus
Terry Tyler
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read Carol Hedges' three Victorian murder mysteries and loved them; even though I am not a fan of YA books I love the whole post apocalyptic genre, so was keen to give this a go.

In this future world all countries are one, with one president, and peace reigns. This follows a cybercrash in which the computer systems of the world were wiped out within a couple of hours, and also the effects of climate change which has altered the entire landscape of the planet.
The story centres around Will and
Cathy Ryan
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, dystopian
In a dystopian future, Earth’s environment has completely changed following a spate of natural disasters which claimed a huge percentage of the populace and caused extreme climate change. Plus a total cybercrash wiping the data from every chip, memory board and circuit on the planet. This new world is governed by just one president who revitalised the world and improved life for the remaining population. Seemingly.

Will is still reeling from the sudden, and as he believes, suspicious, death of hi
Barb Taub
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Back in 2007, SciFi writer Bruce Sterling proposed "An Eschatological Taxonomy". (Yeah, I had to look that one up too. Apparently, eschatological means the study of the end of the world. Who knew?) According to this world-ending events scale, Carol Hedges’ new post-apocalyptic YA thriller is a level 2— [quote]

“Global civilization destroyed; millions (at most) remain alive, in isolated locations, with ongoing death rate likely exceeding birth rate. Chance of humankind recovery: slim. Many non-hum
Georgia Rose
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don’t generally read YA books but having enjoyed another book by Carol Hedges I chose The Final Virus and was delighted I did. This is the start of a series but can be read as a standalone and for me its greatest strength is in the superb characters the author creates. You know exactly who everyone is and they are as real as they would be if they were sitting right next to you, which with Mr Neots I’m glad is not the case as he really is a despicable man.

We have Will, a popular boy at school,
Shelley Wilson
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Will and Amber live on a ‘New Earth’, one created after the planet was pretty much destroyed following a cybercrash. This new home is managed by the ‘President’, a character who remains elusive for the majority of the book.

At the start of the novel, we see the similarities to our day to day life. School and homework, children’s parties, and television shows, but as the story progresses we start to get a feel for the subtle differences in this dystopian world.

Amber is a loner with zero friends. W
Elizabeth Lloyd
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This dystopian Young adult novel is set in a bland, pleasant, boring town where a group of intelligent teenagers are “educated” at a school which aims to make them amenable to the World Presidential dictatorship. Following a cybercrash, global warming, natural disasters and disease, continents had disappeared and the world’s population vastly depleted.
But we have a very likeable hero in 17-year-old Will, distraught by the sudden death of his father he still manages to give emotional support to h
Teri
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it

The Final Virus is at the upper end of the word count for a novella, but could be read in one sitting if you have a couple of hours. This book possesses a good concept, with a little something different in the dystopian genre, and has some likable characters - as well as some easily loathed characters. It moves along at a brisk pace and the descriptive writing produces some vivid imagery.

With this book being a novella, I felt as if too much was compressed into these pages and think the
Patricia Sims
Laurie
Oct 30, 2019
liz
Sep 05, 2020

• The Night Caller (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #2)
  • The Prodigal Sister (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery, #3)
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • The Gang of St Bride's (Penny Green, #9)
  • At Midnight In Venice (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Sam Jones #5)
  • The Gaslight Stalker (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #1)
  • The Posing Playwright: Oscar Wilde's trial is the scandal of the century... (Esther & Jack Enright Mystery #5)
  • The Quickening and the Dead (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Sam Jones #4)
  • The Murder of Patience Brooke (Charles Dickens & Superintendent Sam Jones #1)
  • THE SEVENTH LINK a cozy murder mystery (Village Mysteries Book 4)
  • Death Comes But Twice (Carlyle & West Victorian Mysteries #2)
  • Curse of the Poppy (Penny Green, #5)
  • Murder at the Mill (Redmond and Haze Mysteries #3)
  • Murder at the Abbey (Redmond and Haze Mysteries #2)
  • Murder In The Caravan (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #4)
  • A Maze of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #6)
  • A Tournament of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #3)
  • RAVENSCROFT'S LAST CASE (Inspector Ravenscroft, #10)

News & Interviews