Start by marking “The Hostage (Jon Roscoe Thriller, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hostage (Jon Roscoe Thriller, #1)

The Hostage

(Jon Roscoe Thriller #1)

James Patterson’s BookShots. Short, fast-paced, high-impact entertainment.

The grand opening of the world's most exclusive hotel: forty floors of breathtaking luxury.

VIPs gather in London for the ultimate preview. But one uninvited guest plans to make this a day the city will never forget.

Global Head of Security, Jon Roscoe, confronts a killer with a deadly timetable.
Paperback, UK, 144 pages
Published June 2nd 2016 by BookShots

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage

Start your review of The Hostage (Jon Roscoe Thriller, #1)
Jaidee
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: a little bit of junk food reading
Recommended to Jaidee by: New York Times article
2.5 "ok for a hot summer day" stars !

I have only read one other James Patterson book when I was 15 or so -Kiss the Girls

I remember liking it a lot back then-not sure I would now. In the meantime Mr. Patterson has sold 325 million books...wowowow.....he makes about 89 million USD a year and co-writes with 25 other authors. He has built an enduring empire.

Today I read this article http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/bus...

I decided it's really hot out and I want to try this out. So I dove right in.

Brenda
As Global Head of Security for the Tribeca Luxury Hotels, Jon Roscoe, ex policeman, was keeping a close eye on the security details of their latest hotel – forty stories of decadence in London. The VIPs were arriving for the private showing before the official opening and Jon wanted everything to go smoothly. But little did he know a person with a deadly agenda was already secreted in the hotel. The first gruesome killing was soon followed by more – Jon, along with the guy in charge of the ...more
James Lafayette Tivendale
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Quick review. Pretty enjoyable book. Cool main protagonist - Jon Roscoe - ex Uk police office, now head of security at as soon to be 'hijacked' top class hotel. This book contains some pretty grim and descriptive murders. It only has about 5-6 main characters but that is to be expected with one of James Patterson's bookshot series. This is the 2nd I have read (the other one being Hotshot) and I have enjoy them both. Great set pieces. Very intricate story design. Almost like a Sherlock Holmes ...more
Mandy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
At 119 pages this is pretty short story packed with a lot of action . As such there isn't a lot of time to get to know any of the characters well, but Jon Roscoe is portrayed enough so the reader is able to decide he's a decent man. He is head of security at a luxury hotel chain and their new London hotel is ready to open when a killer strikes...
This was entertaining and very fast-paced. I just didn't have any time to read, which is why it took me as long as it did to get through.
But I did enjoy
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
First outing with Jon Roscoe and it is a gory one. I really liked this one, and its what made me read the others with him in it. There is a cinematic quality to these books, and above any I’ve read, this is the one that would make the best movie. It has everything you can think of from an action/thriller, but its condensed and concentrated, so its got a lot going on!
Matt
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshots
This BookShot story pulls the reader into a high-octane thriller from the opening paragraph. At a private event to mark the opening of the elite Tribeca Luxury Hotel in London, VIPs come together to celebrate the company's newest addition to a profitable company. During the gathering, all eyes turn upward, where someone is hanging from an upper-storey balcony. The struggle turns deadly and the body plummets to the ground, which turns out to be the owner, Jackson Harlington. The hotel's Global ...more
David
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
James Patterson has essentially flooded the market with a large number of short, sharp, punchy, less than 150 page thrillers called 'Bookshots', with the intent of getting people who have abandoned books for television or movies, to re-discover them again. As Patterson himself says, "You can race through these - they are like reading movies".
To this end I wasn't disappointed. A very readable (albeit gory), streamlined, thriller plot with a nice twist, that can easily be read in a single sitting
Plum-crazy
Just what I've come to expect from a JP short - fast moving, action packed &, quite frankly, a ludricous resolution but it certainly kept me entertained for the 30 minutes or so that it took me to read it.
mrsljgibbs
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the BookShots series of books, primarily written by James Patterson but often co-written with various other authors.
This book is the first in a three part series-The Jon Roscoe thrillers.
Jon Roscoe is an ex London policeman and now works as Head of Security for the very rich and famous Tribeca chain of hotels.
This was a very fast paced and quite gory thriller and I couldn’t stop reading it once I’d started and read it all in one sitting!
All the loose ends are tied up at the
Mark
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from James Patterson in his Bookshots format.
This one isn't from any of his existing series of thrillers, but I believe there is at least one more Bookshots novella featuring the main character from this book, so maybe it will become a new series.
The action comes thick and fast in this one when a criminal interrupts the grand opening of a new hotel in London (part of a chain around the world that are dedicated to luxurious service etc) and doesn't let up over the (short) span
Marc
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great read. ...more
Barbara
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a book shot there was a lot of suspense crammed (in a good way) into a very small book.
Darren
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at a book store. I enjoyed reading it. It was full of action/adventure. It had a good story to it. I like the variety of characters in it.
Patrick
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
One of the most violent and disturbing (short) novels I have ever read. Good plot but extremely violent.
Line Sandbakk
Dec 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shitty
William Richardson
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast paced many twisted bloody read, loved it. The kind of book that's meant to be read as I did during breaks and 1/2 times while watching college basketball.
Cláudia
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: james-patterson
3.5

Jon Roscoe is an interesting character, he's different from what I'm used to see in Patterson's books. I'd like to know more about his story but I guess I have to read all the books in the collection to be fully satisfied.
Jeroen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Good thriller with a fast pace. Includes very brutal murders, so fun is likely not the best word to describe this book but would definitely recommend to anyone that likes fast paced thrillers or murder mysteries.
Mahasweta
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was my first James Patterson book. And, I wasn't quite impressed. A 120-page thriller is supposed to be thrilling from the word 'go'! But that wasn't the case with this book. It started off quite slow and it was only after 22 pages of background story that it started picking up some pace (relatively). Took me a few days to get through the first 20 pages! The murders were gruesome but one cannot feel the brutality or the horror because of the lack of depth in the storytelling. The plot, too, ...more
Caitlyn
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Another great book-shot by my main bookman.

Well paced, entertaining, and with a twist I wasn't quite expecting in the end - had me on the edge of my seat for a vast majority of the novel. I enjoyed this one from start to finish!

Mr P is a God, worship him.
Barbara
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The BEST Bookshots so Far
Ang from OZ
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy this one as much as i have enjoyed some of the other book shots. A solid suspense thriller though.
Steve Farawell
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jon-roscoe
very good for a short story
Karsyn
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbrc-wobble
My first BookShots book and I found it enjoyable. My kind of book, quick to read and fast paced plot. Look forward to more.
Lucinda Tolmie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kenton Yee
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Crime fiction with generous helpings of thriller and mystery elements. Patterson's "Bookshots" series provide excellent fast-read illustrations of crime, thriller and mystery fictions, more elaborate than short stories and shorter than novellas. Hostages is strong in plot twists and story, okay in characters (Patterson always is), weak in setting and mood, and neutral, non-stylish in voice. (What's the point of setting this story in a lavish mega luxury hotel if we don't get to experience or ...more
Lauren Roberts
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I always enjoy a James Patterson thriller story but the thing that griped with me about this story was that although it was set in London the references to things were blatantly American. I think if you have English characters and an English setting make the effort to use the appropriate semantic language! It's lift not elevator, normally taxi rather than cab (but I give you that one James as it is London so might be a black cab), one character gets taken to the emergency room??? Surely A&E ...more
Saloni Sharma
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really fast paced story with continuous twists and turns. It's interesting how the events unfold one after the other in this Jon Roscoe series book...
Considering it to be a book shot, it's understandable that it lacked too much depth and character build up, but the plot was not at all compromised. The language is simple too, a great thing for non native speakers and young readers, which make it too simple for some but amazing for others.
Overall, I'd definitely recommend it if you're into
Deyth Banger
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-interest
"December 2, 2019 –
100.0% "Not every writter can keep attention of reader in short stories.. or short pages books... and this style is not for everbody.
Oh men.. I got bored again... no progress... whatsoever..."
December 2, 2019 –
100.0% ""‘I can tell you what happened,’ said Roscoe, standing beside the inspector. ‘The killer was wearing a ski mask so we don’t have a description."

- Is this Jason... from friday 15?"
December 2, 2019 – Shelved
December 2, 2019 – Started Reading"
Rebecca
This is almost like a longer short story at around 120 pages.

I actually really enjoyed it. It was quite a gruesome one for a Patterson with the killings being particularly violent but there was a reason for it. The pace of the book was really good it went along really well and was over before I knew it. It was a lot of fun and kept my attention to the end.

As someone who is not a fan of short stories this was a very pleasant surprise.

4 stars.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bodyguard (Under Covers #1)
  • Radiant (Diamond Trilogy #2)
  • Exquisite (Diamond Trilogy #3)
  • The Fourth Man (Jack Reacher, #23.5)
  • 50 Hidden Desires
  • Learning to Ride (Sunnybell #1)
  • The Weekend Wife
  • Pelican Cove Cozy Mystery Series Box Set 1: Books 1-4
  • The End of India
  • Torchwood: The Collected Radio Dramas: Seven BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramas
  • Dazzling (Diamond Trilogy #1)
  • World's Best Short Stories
  • Jailbird: An action-packed page-turner that will have you hooked
  • High Stakes
  • Bowdrie
  • When the Scoundrel Sins (Capturing the Carlisles, #2)
  • Dukes Are Forever (The Secret Life of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Brutal
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Jon Roscoe Thriller (3 books)
  • The Verdict (Jon Roscoe Thriller #2)
  • Kidnapped (Jon Roscoe Thriller #3)