Start by marking “Chase (Michael Bennett #9.5)” as Want to Read:
Chase (Michael Bennett #9.5)

Chase

(Michael Bennett #9.5)

'This was no suicide,' says Detective Michael Bennett.

A man plunges to his death from the roof of a Manhatten hotel. It looks like a suicide – except the victim has someone else's fingerprints and $10,000 in cash.

Enter Detective Michael Bennett.
Paperback, UK, 144 pages
Published August 11th 2016 by BookShots (first published August 2nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Chase, please sign up.
Will Yes, other than some of the characters & their backgrounds, there isn't anything in this that relates to the rest of the Michael Bennett series.…moreYes, other than some of the characters & their backgrounds, there isn't anything in this that relates to the rest of the Michael Bennett series. So you can definitely read it without having read the rest of the series. The book's designed to be one-shot read, & probably also hopes to draw some into the MB series.

However, if you haven't read the MB series, then it's worth checking out. Just make sure you read those books in order though!(less)

Brenda
The posh hotel in Manhattan was where the man waited – his contact was late, much too late – and he didn’t feel the eyes on him while he sat there. Much later Detective Michael Bennett was called to the scene of a suspected suicide. The construction site beside the posh Manhattan hotel now housed a body which had quite obviously fallen from the heights of the roof beside it. An obvious suicide – but was it?

When forensics discovered several anomalies, Bennett was bemused. But worse was to come. W
Suzanne
Only took a couple hours to read. This is my third BookShots book. I still like full novels better obviously because you get a more complete story and background. However these little books offer a great reprieve from full novels and gives a quick story “fix.” Lol

My quick and simple overall: entertaining couple hours.
Stacey
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After being underwhelmed with my first bookshot, I picked up Chase and who should appear? Michael Bennett *happy dance* This has all the action you'd expect in a super condensed story.
I ❤ Michael Bennett!
Linda Strong
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is a very short story by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge, otherwise known as a BookShort. At approximately 115 pages, it's a fast read.

For the fans of the Michael Bennett series, you will totally enjoy this one. No need for a back story on the characters.

A man is thrown off the top of a very high roof. Bennett is suspicious that this was not a suicide, but who is this guy> No wallet, no phone, no ID.

When the autopsy is done, he is found with a paper in his stomach with a bunch of n
Matt
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshots
As Michael Bennett seeks a little of the BookShot spotlight, James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge concoct this high-impact thriller to lull series fans temporarily. As the book opens, a mysterious man is being stalked by two others, eyeing him in the corner of a hotel bar. A brief exchange in a bathroom leaves one injured and our man of mystery racing for the roof. A short confrontation ensues and soon a body is flying over the side, only to crash onto the busy New York streets. When Detective M ...more
Marianne
Chase is a novella in the Michael Bennett series by prolific American author, James Patterson. It is co-written with Michael Ledwidge and is released under the Bookshots: stories at the speed of life banner. At a mere 115 pages, it is intended to be a one-sitting read. Bennett is sent to the scene of an apparent suicide, but pretty soon, things don’t add up, and it starts to look like murder. Then the fingerprints turn out to be those of a dead man, but Bennett and Agent Emily Parker find their ...more
Carol
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Michael Bennett Series. I like his family and his cops, etc. This does not appear to be a suicide according to Detective Bennett. A man dives to his death from the roof of a Manhattan hotel. It looks like it should be a suicide, except the victim has someone else's fingerprints and had $10,000 in cash. Enter Detective Michael Bennett. This episode isn't my favorite...it just doesn't have the charm that the others have had. A quickie but keeps you up to speed on what's happening with M ...more
Mahoghani 23
Michael and his distinctive skills as a detective. All the way down to state of PA! Short read but a lot of action to include the assistance from an old USMC veteran.
Terri Lynn
Normally I don't like the Michael Bennett books by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge all that much. He is a widower with ten adopted kids having an affair with his hot young nanny and this all puts me off a lot and is a distraction. It is as if they have to make up scenes to remind you of the kids but this time there was one or two scenes featuring maybe 4 of them. Good! I blew through that silly part and on to the scary bits.

A military man died in 2007 in a plane crash in Iraq. Or did he? I
Wendy
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chase

Now this book I did like. I always enjoy the Michael Bennett series and this Bookshots short story was very good. The only thing that I missed was reading about Michael Bennett's family. I like when the kids, Mary Catherine and Father Seamus are in the story but it was still enjoyable.
John
Until recently, James Patterson only published around 2-3 books per month, leaving people to wonder: "What the heck am I supposed to read in the meantime?"
And thus, Bookshots were born.
Now readers can have the privilege of purchasing mediocre novellas from Patterson at $5 a pop--instead of, you know, spending $8 on a collection of several really good novellas from a much better author, like, say, Stephen King.
If I sound annoyed, it's not because CHASE is a bad book per se; it's because I wish Pa
Nanosynergy
For fans. One of those .5 novella increments popular now in long-running mystery series.
Plum-crazy
Typical JP - just in short format (115 pages) This opens with a man falling from a hotel roof but supercop Michael Bennett is brought in when the fingerprints reveal the dead man is not who he first seemed to be - but I'll say no more as it's a short book & to do so will give away all the plot!

In short, it's a fast paced tale - for a quick read it sure packs in the action - & the "reason" behind the death is revealed at the end by one of the bad guys/crooks. A decent quick read....(but t
William
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally!!!!!!!!!! James Patterson has found the best form for his stories------ in the form of a short story.
Emma
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rosemary
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love these short fast based book shots by James Patterson.
B.W. Ginsburg
This was the first of James Patterson’s new Bookshots that I read and to be honest, I was a little disappointed. The books advertise themselves as being a quick read (this one was only 115 pages) but it really wasn’t. The beginning and end of the book was good, but the middle was kind of boring. There definitely wasn’t the amount of action that I would have liked to see.
When it comes to the plot, I thought it was pretty good. Things tied up at the end and some of what happened was pretty interes
Julie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: patterson
This fun short novella is a quick little Mike Bennet adventure.
Tazkatie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I do like these book shots
Monica Gearhart
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read but it left me hanging. Yeah they killed or arrested the people at the end, but that's basically how it ended. I was looking for more...
Eirelyn
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***HERE, THERE BE SPOILERS***

This story was fast-paced and gripping, with likable and well-developed characters. I was hooked right from the start.

I had only a couple minor complaints:
1) We never found out who the woman was who gave Mike the information about Paul Haber. Was she involved in the cover up? Just someone who knew what was going on? She seemed to come out of nowhere, almost deus ex machina-like, just to propel the storyline forward and get Mike from point A to point B. I wouldn't hav
Erica Paré
I usually enjoy all James Patterson books and his bookshots are great quick reads. This book wasnt bad but just a little more far fetched than I prefer. It started out great and was captivating my attention then kinda dropped off. We read as someone is being followed and then turns up dead by suicide, or so they assume at first. Then it turns into a possible government conspiracy. When the Detective, Mike Bennett, is put on the case things just get weird. The person was already dead years ago, d ...more
Darinda
An apparent suicide is not what it seems. Detective Bennett works the case to find out who the dead man is, and who is behind his death.

This short novella falls between books 9 and 10 in the Michael Bennett series. Bennett is a widower, loving father of 10 children, and dedicated detective in New York City. The books in this exciting series are quick and fun reads.

A fast one-sitting read. Good for fans of this series.
Linda
Michael Bennett is now a widower. He has a girlfriend but his priority is his ten children. Its not easy but he has the help of his grandfather/priest and his nanny, now his girlfriend as well.

A man is found dead and seems to have committed suicide by jumping off a building but all is not as it seems.

Chase is an interesting shorter story featuring Michael Bennett who is searching for a reason for the dead man's murder.
Becca
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quickie in which Mike finds an undercover thing in the woods by supposed dead military men. They are up to no good and have already killed one man trying to stop them. Now Mike has to stop them
BJ
Part of the Patterson Bookshots, short novella in which protagonist, Michael Bennett, draws a case that appears to be a suicide, but is it? Enjoyable short read.
Tina
The thrill of the chase? Yes. Again, wraps up too quickly & not enough character background. Serves its purpose - quick, engaging read.
Cheryl
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bit far fetched and I'm disappointed that James Patterson doesn't even write books as short as these on his own. Not the best I've ever read, but in fairness not the worst. Glad it was so short.
Penny Evenson
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man plunges to his death from the roof of a Manhattan hotel. It looks like a suicide, except the victim has someone else's fingerprints and $10,000 in cash. Enter Detective Michael Bennett.
Wes
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-paterson
One of the better of the one shot series. Plenty of action, good story. Worth a couple of hours of your time.

• A Wedding in Maine
  • The Guns of Heaven (Hard Case Crime #24)
  • Action (Alex Cross)
  • Sabotage (Under Covers #2)
  • Wedding Shots
  • So Nude, So Dead
  • Dazzling (Diamond Trilogy #1)
  • The Big Bang
  • The War of the Worlds Murder (Disaster Series, #6)
  • The Spirit Box (John Hazard, #1)
  • Learning to Ride (Sunnybell #1)
  • Environmentally Friendly
  • Assassins Hunted (The English Spy Mysteries #1)
  • Cut Me In
  • After Shock (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller, #3.5)
  • Mr. Monk on Patrol (Mr. Monk, #13)
  • The Amish Widower
  • Harlem Summer
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Michael Bennett (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett, #2)
  • Worst Case (Michael Bennett, #3)
  • Tick Tock (Michael Bennett, #4)
  • I, Michael Bennett (Michael Bennett, #5)
  • Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)
  • Burn (Michael Bennett, #7)
  • Alert (Michael Bennett, #8)
  • Bullseye (Michael Bennett, #9)
  • Haunted (Michael Bennett, #10)
“Good people are the same everywhere. They help each other.” 0 likes