Start by marking “How To Save A Life” as Want to Read:
How To Save A Life

How To Save A Life

How do you save someone’s life?

There’s the obvious way of physically saving them from a tragic end.

Then there’s the more subtle way of saving someone who doesn’t know they need to be saved. Someone who is drowning emotionally and has no idea that they are slowly dying.

Ezra Whitmore is one of those people. After tragically losing his wife, he’s still going through the moti
Published May 24th 2016

To ask other readers questions about How To Save A Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Save A Life

Martin
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God, this story was seriously awesome! A perfect rainbow family romance.

Dentist Dr Ezra Whitmore's life fell apart when his wife died unexpectedly, leaving him and their 14 year old son Spencer behind.
Even though he's loved his wife, Ezra always hid his bisexuality from his family. When his son comes out to him one year later, he's afraid Spencer will suffer the humiliation and rejection from their family (aka the grandparents) that Ezra has always been afraid of.

Still, supporting his son'
☆ Todd
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

Awww, that was pretty cute and just what I was looking for. Light and fluffy, with only moderate angst.

Plus, hot lifeguard, so win-win. ;- )

I really liked both Ezra and Ferris, and completely adored 14 y.o. Spencer and his friend Jesse.

There was enough humor to keep me chuckling, but not enough to make me cringe, and blessedly zero 'dad jokes.'

Both men had fairly intolerant families, but I was glad to see that change over time. The family drama was there, but wasn't too over-the-top, which I ap
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I can't lie. I almost DNF at 30% and again at 90%. The last two chapters were utterly unnecessary and ridiculous.

I'm a horrible person, but I actually laughed when (view spoiler) because how likely is that to happen? And WHY even throw in all that drama when the story was, for all intents and purposes, over?

This book is so poorly written, I stopped highlighting mistakes by the fourth chapter (I already had dozens and counting). My "knew found" know
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
4.25 Spicy-hot MM Stars!

photo 0D1F3F6D-A4A8-49F5-817F-591DD2CBF056_zpsbng9w8gi.gif

How to Save a Life by Andria Large is the exact kind of MM read I look for. Specifically gay-for-you romance. There's nothing hotter for me than taking an otherwise straight virile fella and put him in a room with the one guy on this earth he'd switch teams for. The guy that is a complete deal changer. The guy he can't resist. It's steamy and angsty and the anticipation is scorching. But I digress....

Dr Ezra Whitmore is a widower at a fairly young age. Couple that with p
Jaime
2.5 Stars
This is my first book by author Andria Lange and I really wanted to like it, I tried. I thought the premise sounded interesting.

How do you save someone’s life?

There’s the obvious way of physically saving them from a tragic end.

Elizabeth
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Man oh Man! I am in a book slump I think. I went into this one not knowing what to expect but right from the get go I knew I had made a mistake because I expected to read a novel at least and what I got was journal written by two one dimensional characters.
I can say up until this point I have not DNF'ed a book but lord help me I wanted to. The sad part is that the blurb and the title to me screamed potential. I was intrigued and wanted it to be good I really did.
The problem for me:
- writing styl
Tracy
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars. This book was ok, I liked it but I didn't love it. The writing style felt quite amateurish. The last few chapters seemed completely pointless.
haletostilinski
3.5 stars rounded down

I liked this book. I liked Ezra and Ferris together and thought they were sweet and sexy at times.

I ultimately rounded down on this because the writing at times felt a tad juvenile, and the dialogue was juvenile and the things characters said at times were not very realistic and a little over the top.

I thought how characters previously homophobic toward them seemed to change their mind all of the sudden because of one encounter - three characters didn't, but most of Ferri
Deb
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Two and half stars. A story that turns on endless coincidences, inconsistent unlikable characters, unrealistic behavior, a romance that goes from reluctant to committed in the blink of an eye, followed by lots of sappy lovey dovey scenes and not at all hot sex scenes. Oh and off course the leads have to have weird names.

Ferris the lifeguard was basically instant dislike for me. He ogles Ezra, the father of the kid whose life he just saved from drowning which was just weird and off-putting. But n
French Press Bookworm Blog
3.5 stars <3

after a few duds back to back this one was a wonderful surprise. I loved the characters, the story, and the humor throughout the book.

there were only a few things I didn't like but honestly this one was pretty good.
Karine
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Someone stole a teen’s diary to write this book....

DNF 25%
I’ll put an end to my misery since, according to reviews, my already-bored-self won’t appreciate what’s left!

Add to the fact that both men are acting (and thinking) like no real men would and that there was no explanation for their connection, the author’s wringing was pretty bad.

Even the audio version couldn’t save the day because one narrator with the same annoying voice for two very different men wasn’t a winner situation.
Eleeze
Aug 24, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf, m-m
Didn't click with this one.-
Steph ☀️
***3.75 stars***

If you are in the mood for a feel good book, this is it. This is such a beautiful and sweet story of loss, finding oneself and second chances. I have truly fallen for these characters and my heart went out to Ezra and Ferris. It was nice to read how Ezra finally lets his true self shine. Not to mention, how his friendship with Ferris grows and blossoms into something much, much more.

Not only does Farris help Spencer, Ezra's son with his coming out, but also gives Ezra his second
Ricardo
Aug 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Obviously, my taste is totally out of whack, based on the average rating for this book. At times, I thought I was reading some kind of satire because the characters and the plot were too ridiculous to be for real. A lifesaver who is giving CPR to a kid but is thinking about how hot his dad is? A dentist who keeps his cell and his home phone number on at night so he can answer 24/7? These are only a couple of the things that come to mind as I write this. I had to give the book one star though, as ...more
Shaztwirl
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very Good.

This book had a bit of everything in it. It had happy and sad. It had romance and hot stuff. It had a smidgen of action and a "woah that was a surprise" moment for even more excitement. I really hope Spencer gets his story.
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
I wanted to like this book, because I read positive reviews on it, but it just did not work for me.
There were so many wrongs in it, that it made it impossible to be right for me.
I will be honest I wrote a review listing all the no no's but half way through I decided not to put it up. I was savage. However, I decided I do not want to discourage the author. I will just say I did not love it and struggled to finish it.
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

3 stars.

Andria Large is a new-to-me author.

How to Save a Life starts with the saving of a life, and slowly develops into a romance between the lifeguard and the father of the boy who almost drown. I absolutely recommend this title to those who are seeking romance to be the focal point.

I have to be honest, I struggled while reading this book, finding myself skimming while forcing myself to finish. I feel horrible saying this, b
Kiki Clark
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**Originally Posted on Kiki's Kinky Picks**
Reviewed by Brandy

How To Save A Life by Andria Large was a fantastic read! The storyline was solid, the characters were well written and likeable. The best was the slow build up to the steamy hot scenes! Yeah, I don’t usually acknowledge the bowchickawowow scenes in a book, mostly because they never make me raise my eyebrows or really surprise me, but not this gem! Oh no, this one was sizzling!

Ezra has recently been widowed. Left behind by his
Don Bradshaw
I am not a fan of books written in the first person but this book totally rocked it! The characters were well fleshed out and believable. I enjoyed the gentle banter between Ferris and Ezra along with the way they included Spencer in everything. There were so many reminders of Ezra and Ferris in Spencer's and Jesse's relationship that I just knew that they were going to be alright. The family dynamics all were resolved well. Sharks at the Jersey shore? I don't know but it added a bit of a punch ...more
Francisca Morar
4.25*! Very sweet, low angst book. A very pleasant read.
Morgan Terry
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was really excited about this book. It's not often I read the blurb of a book and audibly sigh with hearts in my eyes, but How To Save A Life is just that kind of book. It makes you sigh, and laugh, and cry, and get mad (trust me, it's warranted and needed and it makes the story!) and it fills you with this happiness inside your heart that makes you feel completely satisfied. Andria's writing takes on a whole different level of amazing as we get to live through the eyes of Ezra and Ferris, two ...more
Amber
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
3 Hearts

There were things I really liked about this book and things that were just mediocre and a tad predictable. I enjoyed the writing, the characters, and the story but I wasn’t really wow’d and at times I did feel myself getting bored.

Ezra and Ferris meet under incredibly stressful and trying conditions. Even under said conditions both men are inexplicably drawn and attracted to each other. Ezra has battled with his bisexuality basically his whole life so he fights the attraction, initially.
S.M. Harshell
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

Ezra tragically lost his wife a little over a year ago. He's learning to raise his teenage son, Spencer, on his own. While relaxing at the beach tragedy strikes and Ezra watches as the life guard fights to save his son.

Ferris, a lifeguard and LGBT counselor, finds Ezra extremely attractive, even if it's at the most inappropriate time. Thinking he'll never see him again he's taken aback when Ezra and Spencer come for cou
Amo & Sarah &
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
***Reviewed by Sarah for ASBC***

Firstly I love M/M books… secondly this is the first book from this author that I’ve read. I think this Andria Larges debut published novel. On the whole it was a good storyline I really liked the characters.

Ezra is a widow of 12 months after losing his wife suddenly and is left to raise his 14 year old son Spencer. Ezra has also been lying to himself for a long time too about who he really is and when he meets Ferris this feeling gets confirmed when he feels attr
Amanda at WickedGoodReads
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Ezra Whitmore and his son Spencer, are enjoying a day at the beach when Ferris comes crashing in. He physically saves Spencer, and along the way, emotionally saves Ezra.

Ezra has spent a good chunk of his life denying who he was, while playing the role of a straight man, married and raising his son. He did love his wife, with his whole heart, and when she died he was left devastated. When he meet's Ferris, all these old feelings he had been suppressing started coming back. Along the way, his son
Angie
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads Review Team~
I really enjoyed this book. Sweet, loving and made your heart melt. I love how great of a dad Ezra is and how well he takes it when his son Spencer comes out to him and how he wants to help him adjust in any way possible. Doesn’t hurt that Ezra has always liked guys but locked that part of him away when he met his former wife. Ferris is just fun loving and so full of life even though he has had his fair share of
Jane (PS)
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new author and one I think still sorting out minor issues with writing. I really enjoy the story arc and plot points. There's some (at times a LOT) of family drama, coming out of the closet, hurt/comfort/hospital scenes, and really cute 14 year old kid also coming out. Our MCs are both full on sweet with their heads screwed on properly (mostly). I really enjoyed the relationship and family journey. Will definitely read this author again if the precis appeals :)

Narrated by Paul Bright - 2.5 sta
Eva
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
K Cherry
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Kinda cheesy

While I enjoyed reading this book, at times it was just a little too simplistic and cheesy for me. I liked the characters, but there was really no angst at all. I definitely do NOT like cheating or infidelity in the books I read, I do like a little bit of discord to make the romance a little more interesting. They couldn't even get mad at each other. Cute book if you want pretty much a fairytale story.
Britton Epps
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5-3 stars
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blowing Off Steam
  • Looking at Forever (The Rock Gods, #4)
  • A Change of View (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Safety In Numbers (Sizzling Miami #5)
  • Waiting for Rain
  • Resurrecting Phoenix
  • Papa's Boy (Morning Report, #3)
  • A Hunted Man (The Men of Halfway House, #2)
  • The Season: Kaufman (Austin Arrows, #2)
  • Mask (West End #2)
  • Breach Of Contract (Bound #2)
  • Gay for Pay (All Cocks #1)
  • Return to Newport (Return to Me, #2)
  • Encore (The Replacement Guitarist #4)
  • Grand Slam
  • Leaving Flowers (Seeds of Tyrone, #1)
  • Lost Treasure

Andria Large is a traditionally published and self-published contemporary romance author. She doesn’t always follow the rules, so you will find both M/F and M/M books mixed into some of her series.

Henry from the Beck Brothers Series was the first book she self-published. Not expecting anything to really come of it, she was shocked to find the book caught wind and readers were asking for more. Writ
“If you truly loved your brother, it wouldn’t matter who the hell he is sleeping with because it’s none of your damn business. He’s still your brother, your family, your blood, no matter who he chooses to love.” 0 likes