Start by marking “Hosanna” as Want to Read:
Hosanna

Read Book

Hosanna

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree for Literary Fiction, 2017 Illumination Book Award Winner, and Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Finalist

The last thing Hosanna wants is a bucket, a dishrag, and a brush. After all, it’s been fifteen years.

Her heart and knees have grown callous from years of scrubbing floors for her racist grandmother who's disgusted over the unlawful deeds
Published May 7th 2016 by Leconte & Parker

To ask other readers questions about Hosanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hosanna

Indiebrag
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that HOSANNA by Katelyne Parker is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Mandy O'Brien
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Katelyne Parker for my Goodreads giveaway of Hosanna. I couldn't put this book down...I just really wanted to find out what happened to Hosanna. I really liked the way this book ended (although I was sad to turn the last page because I wanted to read more).
Karen M
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Powerful. It’s the best word to describe this book. This is the South in the 1940’s when too many people still believed that there were two types of people, the superior white folks and the inferior ones who worked for them. It was a time of blatant racism and unfounded distrust of anyone who was not white.

This is the story of a young girl, Hosanna, who works in her grandmother’s house from the age of three. She exists only on the periphery of her grandmother’s life. She is of mixed blood and ne
Linda
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I didn't love this book. I felt like I had to decipher some of the prose in the first half, and disliked most of the characters throughout (especially Hosanna who was violent, hateful and could be just plain mean). Granted, Hosanna's life from the get-go was horrific as she was surrounded by people who treated her brutally (and was born in a time in which African Americans were treated especially terrible). But I still had a difficult time garnering any real sympathy for her because of her attit ...more
Aletha Pagett
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the first page of the prologue and thought, "Oh, no. I am not going to like this." By the time I started chapter 1, I loved this book and could hardly wait to see where the fantastic characters were going to take me. I felt as if I knew the people that populated this very unique novel and instead of hating the unlovable characters, I understood them. Found this to be a wonderful and most unusual book which I received through Goodreads. Will definitely be watching for more by this author.
Florence Osmund
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are few books I read that will linger in my mind for a long time, and Hosanna is one of them. Told from the perspective of a young and troubled mixed-race girl, this book includes a remarkably accurate depiction of what it must have been like to be in her shoes in 1940s Georgia, living with her dysfunctional family members. The author captured and relayed everything so beautifully – the characters, the time period, the culture. I commend Ms. Parker for creating such a poignant main charact ...more
Awesome Indies Reviewers
Hosanna is a well-written book, obviously professionally edited, with a thought-provoking story line that embraces the racial divide in 1940s Georgia. The author artfully developed the characters and their sometimes difficult dialogue to portray the culture for that time period in such a compelling way that I felt I was right there with them. The plot was well-structured, the narrative flowed well, and the story was engaging. 5 Stars.
Shan
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: put-it-down
This was a very different interesting read. Definitely not a pageturner but definitely a story that will keep your attention to the very last page. Every time I put this book down I kept wondering what Hosanna was up to and picked it up again. I really enjoyed this story and it ended in a beautiful way. Miss Margaret will make you CRINGE! She is something else and will never change.
Shannon Pennockl
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

This was a good book, well written and thoroughly engaging. Although there were a lot of times I wanted Hosanna to stop being so hard headed and blaming everyone else for her hardship, I could understand why she was that way. The other characters were excellent and rounded out the story.
Cat
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Finally finished reading this book. It was interesting to read about Hosanna's experiences as a mixed race child in the American south in the 40's on up. Not exactly what I was expecting and felt no great hurry to read the story (it wasn't a page turner). Not a bad story. Certainly worth a read. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. Still, well-written.
Susan Walker
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very good read. You feel for Hosanna who is born to a White mother and African-american father with a racist grandmother. The book really gives you a feel for Georgia in the 1940's. A very good read.
Hannah
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing. I'm of mixed decent like Hosanna but I've never had to go through the trials that she has. She is such a strong character and I really enjoyed reading about her.
Marisa
Jul 18, 2017
TL
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own.
---

Appreciate being sent the book, but just not my cup of tea:(

DNF
(Not a bad book, just not for me)
Elizabeth Davis
Apr 03, 2017
Sarena Nanua
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this one. Definitely great if you liked The Help!
Karen
Juliette
Coleen
Richard
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover Update for HOSANNA 3 25 Dec 07, 2016 10:13PM
Mocha Girls Read: HOSANNA - Book Trailer, Giveaway, and More 1 9 May 20, 2016 05:08AM
Katelyne Parker, the B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree for Literary Fiction, Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Finalist, and 2017 Illumination Book Award Winner, was born in 1972 in Brooklyn, New York, but came of age in south Florida. After she graduated from Barry University, she worked as an educator for over fifteen years. Her award-winning debut novel, HOSANNA, is a captivating story that will confro ...more
“I don't want to drain what little energy I have on hate, on envy, on blame. I'll need every last drop to better myself, so I can make what little impact I can in this world.” 2 likes
“I seek to humble myself, so I won't attract the harsh experiences that will.” 2 likes