Start by marking “The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)

The Eagle Has Landed

(Liam Devlin #1)

In November of 1943, an elite team of Nazi paratroopers descends on British soil with a diabolical goal: to abduct Winston Churchill and cripple the Allied war effort. The mission, ordered by Hitler himself and planned by Heinrich Himmler, is led by ace agent Kurt Steiner and aided on the ground by IRA gunman Liam Devlin.

As the deadly duo executes Hitler’s harrowing plot,
Published July 2nd 1998 by Penguin (first published September 8th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Eagle Has Landed, please sign up.
Arunan Hey, You can't buy it here. You just share your ratings and review here, and read others to help you choose new books to read.

To read you still need…more

To read you still need to get the book the old-fashioned way - find it in a library, buy it at a store or online.e.g. http://amzn.com/0425177181(less)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Best Spy Novels
1,043 books — 1,922 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.Atonement by Ian McEwanAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
World War II Fiction
1,011 books — 1,723 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
Jeffrey Keeten
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2, book-to-film, spies
”The slab slid to one side, tilting on the slope of the mound, and all was revealed. I suppose it was one of the most astonishing moments of my life, for it was a simple stone with a German cross at the head--what most people would describe as an Iron Cross. The inscription beneath it was in German: Here lies Lieutenant-Colonel Kurt Steiner and 13 German paratroopers, killed in action on November 6th, 1943.”

photo Mussolini_zpsnwzhslnp.jpg
Colonel Otto Skorzeny with Benito Mussolini after the successful rescue attempt.

Really
Stephen
In all seriousness, this is without doubt, the BEST 2 STAR BOOK that I've ever read.
Photobucket

I know, I know... on its face that sounds confusing and maybe even oxymoronical and may lead to a bit of head scratching or possibly even a mild rash. For that I'm truly sorry, but please slap some calamine lotion on your itches and give me a chance to explain before you dismiss me as an oxy or any other form of moron.

PLOT SUMMARY:

Briefly, this story tells the fictional tale of a German commando unit that
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin #1), Jack Higgins
Liam Devlin is a protagonist and recurring character in the novels of Jack Higgins. "Liam Devlin" is a pseudonym and his real name is never revealed. The Eagle Has Landed is a book by British writer Jack Higgins, set during World War II and first published in 1975. The book makes use of the false document technique, and opens with Higgins describing his discovery of the concealed grave of thirteen German paratroopers in an English graveyard.
Nandakishore Varma
There was a time when I loved Alistair MacLean, Jack Higgins, Desmond Bagley... the whole damn lot. That was when I was brainwashed into thinking that Americans were good and Russians were bad: that the Second World War was a just war, where the Good Allies won and the Evil Axis lost: that the Israelis were a peaceful people, being continuously menaced by the bloodthirsty Arabs. Most of my black-and-white take on world affairs were influenced by popular Hollywood movies and thrillers.

That time
Sud666
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-novel
Jack Higgin's bestseller "The Eagle Has Landed" was a book I had read many years ago. Recently, a friend of mine had read it and asked me if it was, as the author claimed, a real operation. Firstly let us look at the story for the book, then I'll address any historical truths.

Hitler excited by Mussolini's rescue by Otto Skorzeny of the SS, backed by German paratroops (Fallschirmjäger), from Italy. Himmler, Reichsführer-SS, comes up with a plan to infiltrate a unit of German paratroops to
Jim
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2fiction, 3series, war, 1audio
It's been a long time since I read my old paperback version, but I think I read it too early in my life. This time around, it was incredibly impressive. The characterization, plotting, & ... well, just everything.

There are plenty of good & bad guys. Unfortunately, the good guys were often after each other. Some really bad people did some good things & vice versa. Sometimes they had a choice, often they didn't. Why they felt they needed to do what they did... Oh, it was a shame &
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
I was lent this book by a very kind volunteer at work as it was my kind of genre. I hadn't watched the film before reading this book or knew what it was about before reading the blurb.

The writing style of Jack Higgins is one that does keep hold of your attention and he does describe the characters and the events well so that you can picture it happening. However the book for me just didn't leave lasting memories or anything that would make me want to go back and read the book again. It wasn't
Vikas Kohli
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads
I read this book because it was recommended by Reader's Digest as one of the best all time. Needless to say that they weren't wrong. I enjoy reading war & related fiction & have read many books but what Higgins presented here was beyond doubt extraordinary. Here are a few elements that I was amazed to see:

1. Fact or Fiction: The writer did extensive research as explained well in the prologue & epilogue. In fact the research is as important to the plot as is the book. The only issue
A.L. Sowards
I think I’ve read this book before, and seen the movie, but I read it when I was in high school or junior high—long enough ago that I’d forgotten the details. If it were written today, it would probably have a tighter POV and fewer pages spent on the set-up. Still, it’s an awesome book. Not squeaky-clean (PG-13), but cleaner than average for the market.

I think what impresses me most about this book is the way Higgins creates sympathy for so many characters—even though most of the characters are
Mohammed M. Sheikh
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The eagle has landed is a thriller novel by English writer Jack Higgins.

Recently a commando named Otto Skorzeny has rescued Benito Mussolini from Italy's highly secured jail. This success has now made Hitler much more ambitious, now he wants England's prime minister Winston Churchill. A mission directly ordered by Hitler himself and commanded by Heinrich Himmler led by Kurt Steiner and IRA gunmen Liam devlin.

England's prime minister is coming to quite village called studley constable. This
Pramod Nair
'The Eagle Has Landed' is definitely one of the best and must read World War II Spy Thriller. Easily one of those classic thrillers with very believable plot and crisply created characters, which makes it a candidate for re-reading.

The story takes place in the fictitious Norfolk village of Studley Constable. The plot follows a Abwehr headed special forces mission for abducting British Prime Minister Winston Churchill during his supposed visit to a remote village in Norfolk. The mission is
Linda
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Top notch WWII. At the beginning and end of the novel author Jack Higgins gives the reader the impression that this particular event really did happen and through extensive research the author is simply filling in the details to bring the story to life. It certainly COULD HAVE happened. One gets caught up in the action, the personalities and the psychology of war - hard to put down. Can't believe it's taken me 38 years to discover the book - I've noticed it time and again but it never really ...more
Checkman
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of espionage novels and thrillers
One of Jack Higgins best novels and a rare case in which the movie was just as good. German commandos are sent to England in 1943 to kidnap Churchill while an IRA agent goes in ahead of them by a few weeks to prep for the mission. Of course things go wrong. It's a great read with a twist of an ending. I saw the movie in 1977. I read the book five years later. I own the movie. I've re-read the novel a couple times. I still like it. Don't over-think it. Just open the book and go with the roller ...more
Mal Warwick
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Any list of the best espionage novels of all times must include Jack Higgins’ World War II caper story, The Eagle Has Landed. Published in 1975, this classic of the genre has sold more than 50 million copies. I read the book shortly after it was first published and turned back to it again to compare my memory of the book with the reality — and with contemporary entries in the field.

Classic espionage thriller

The Eagle Has Landed introduces Liam Devlin, a fast-talking agent for the Irish
Mark
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those classic war novels that created a genre and was highly influential, like the Alistair Maclean's novels Guns of Navarone & Where Eagles Dare (both books share the same era in thriller books that were published and both are British and are considered great in their genre).

This is one of those books that dared to show a different face of WWII, the Germans were not the bloodthirsty murderers they are actually the gentleman like hero's and of course the other antihero the IRA
Ming Wei
A group of Germany paratroopers fly into England during the 2nd world war, pretending to be allies, they are found to be Germans, which leads to a battle with local soilders, the Germans purpose is to kidnap winston churchill, but they fail. A Solid wartime story, verything you expect from a behind enemy lines kind of story. The front cover is good, the book is well written, the book gives depth to the stories main characters, no editorial errors in the book, the length of book is just about ...more
William Brown
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
THE best period piece, adventure/ spy story. A classic! Imagine a book where the reader ends up rooting for a German commando to kill Winston Churchill. As a writing exercise, the characters are so well-crafted that one can believe it. Many of Higgin's other books do not rise to this standard, but are still okay reads. This one is the best, however.
Madhura
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Mind blowing, unputdownable. Set on the backdrop of WW II, where the German paratroopers are instructed by Heinrich Himmler to kidnap Churchill dead or alive. A must read, and recommended for any WW II fan.
Jack
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A suspenseful and clever World War II adventure tale. Recommended to readers who enjoy historical thrillers, although fans of the mystery and romance (yes, romance!) genres might also be impressed.
DeAnna Knippling
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece. The fact that there's only one way for it to end is not a detriment to the suspense, either. Fast nailbiter of an impossible book.
Noah Goats
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
It's been years since I've read a book by Jack Higgins and I was instantly reminded of what I like and dislike about him.

Like: Unlike many thriller writers, his books aren't bloated. He keeps them lean and mean, boiling them down to essential plot and action. He knows how to keep things moving.

Dislike: His dialogue slips into corny tough guy patter too often. His books are populated with shallow stock characters. (But, unlike some thriller writers who waste tons of pages trying to make their
Feliks
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-thrillers
Jack Higgins is an English author of inventive, historical-based action/intrigue tales written with a distinctive zest and style he has made his own in the market. You can always 'tell' a Jack Higgins yarn when its in your hands. His tales are brisk; military; balanced. They have the correct proportions of all the ingredients necessary for fun 'period' thrillers; and they usually finish with a crisp, cynical, self-deprecating snap which Alistair McLean perhaps wishes he could impart to his own ...more
Roopkumar Balachandran
It is disheartening to me whenever a good story comes to an end, one such book is Jack Higgins "The Eagle Has Landed". I came to know about this book last year. I borrowed from a library read quarter last year and was not able to get hold the book again. Fortunately this year I got the opportunity to hold this book and finished reading. I enjoyed each and every page, the characters Liam Devlin and Steiner will be cherished in my heart.

The story, Adolf Hitler hints about an idea of kidnapping
Rachel Amphlett
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A classic. I'm putting this on my bookshelf as it was the first adult book I read at 12 years old - I'd always seen it on my Grandad's bookshelf and wanted to read it so one long weekend, it was handed to me. I became absolutely engrossed.

It's one of those books that you can re-read every few years and still get lost in the characters and the plot; and a great introduction for anyone that isn't familiar with this author's books.

Rachel Amphlett
Author of White Gold
www.rachelamphlett.com
From IMDb:
Oberst Steiner, a German parachute unit commander, is sent to England on a covert mission to kidnap Prime Minister Winston Churchill and bring him to Berlin. The seemingly impossible assignment becomes more and more feasible as the mission grows nearer with Steiner and his men arriving in England to a very real possibility of success.
J.W. Thompson
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The first Jack Higgins book I read. I have been a fan ever since
Randell Green
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting WW2 adventure. Slightly slow read, but lots of action and intrigue. A lot of likable characters to follow. My first Jack Higgins novel and am excited to read more of his. ...more
Martin Hill
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
What would have happened if, during WWII, the German Nazis had been able to kidnap or murder British Prime Minister Winston Churchill? In the dark, early years of the war, Churchill had been the epitome of the British lion; the man who kept England in a war that most European leaders feared was already lost. But in 1943 when this story takes place, the war was going badly for Germany. If the Germans could make a successful strike against Churchill, perhaps British morale would be so shaken a ...more
David Lucero
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that solidified Jack Higgins as a master author.

The world was shocked at the successful rescue of deposed Italian dictator Benito Mussolini from the Gran Sasso high in the Italian Alps. Waffen SS Major Otto Skorzeny and a small number of men in his detachment received the bulk of credit, although most of the German rescuers were hardcore paratroopers.

Emboldened by this success, Hitler orders German Abwehr (Military Intelligence) Admiral Wilhelm Canaris to create a plan in which
Dean Peake
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, I've never read a Jack Higgins novel before, which is amazing because the guy is a prolific writer and there are alot of them out there. All I can say is I am sorry it took me so long to pick one up, and one of his first, also. This was a great classic book and one of my favorite WWII novels i've ever read. This was made into a movie also and I have never seen it, but I am heading to netflix now to see if I can find it. Highly recommended if you like action, great detail and a ripping good ...more
http://www.healthyorder.org/rapid-tone/ 1 1 Oct 08, 2018 12:42AM
Alternate History 4 59 Aug 18, 2017 02:57PM

• Where Eagles Dare
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • The Odessa File
  • The Matarese Circle (Matarese #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • The Fourth Protocol
  • Ice Station Zebra
  • The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1)
  • The Guns of Navarone
  • Six Days of the Condor
  • The Dogs of War
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Russia House
  • Ana Rocha: Shadows of Justice
  • The Heart of Aleppo: A Story of the Syrian Civil War
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the best known of the many pseudonyms of Henry Patterson. (See also Martin Fallon, Harry Patterson, Hugh Marlowe and James Graham.)

He is the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies

Liam Devlin (4 books)
  • Touch the Devil (Liam Devlin, #2)
  • Confessional (Liam Devlin, #3)
  • The Eagle Has Flown (Liam Devlin, #4)
“May you find what you are searching for, my friend.
– I already have and lost it in the finding.”
11 likes