Start by marking “A Night at the Ariston Baths” as Want to Read:

A Night at the Ariston Baths

In rural Pennsylvania, Theodore McCall lives on his family’s farm and works as a clerk at the local general store. While his best friend, Martin Fuller, thrives in New York City, Theodore trudges through life. But on New Year’s Eve, 1902, Theodore’s world is turned upside down, and big changes call for bold action.

Theodore, who has never ventured more than eight miles fr
Published April 25th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Night at the Ariston Baths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Night at the Ariston Baths

CrabbyPatty
Stonewall
It's been over 45 years since the Stonewall Inn riots in June of 1969, which have been called the single most important event leading to the fight for LGBT rights in the United States.

Theodore McCall, Murphy's main character in "A Night at the Ariston Baths," is elated that June night in 1969:
This was what Theodore had been waiting for since 1903. He had known it was coming. It wasn’t a question of if, but of when and where. Theodore had known the time was close at hand, and he’d hoped
LenaRibka
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

I love historical fiction, especially those books, that in spite of being the product of the author's imagination are accurately researched and tell me something new that I haven't yet known, that make me think a lot, even days after I finished them.

A Night at the Ariston Baths is one of those books. It starts with a Saturday evening in June 28, 1969, when Theodore and Jasper, an old gay couple, listened to the evening news. "They did it. By God, they did it! [...] Our people. Our...people."
Serena Yates
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, historical, read-2016
‘A Night at the Ariston Baths’ is not just a novel based on actual events in the history of gay men in the US, it is a fascinating personal perspective on what those events meant for one gay man in particular. Theodore MacCall may be a fictional character, but his living through two major police raids targeted at gay men in this novel gave the meaning of those raids a very personal flavor. It brought them to life for me, as well as making clear what the consequences were for a much wider group o ...more
Tess
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-mm
4 stars

Part historical fiction and part romance, this story follows Theodore through his experiences both in small-town Pennsylvania and New York leading up to and in the aftermath of the Ariston Baths raid. This was a quiet story with some very sad parts (especially since this takes place around an actual event) but there is also some light as Theodore eventually finds love in the latter part of the story.
Sheziss
At first had no idea where I was getting into. But as events unfolded in such a detail and focus, I got the impression I was witnessing something of utter importance, so I made a quick research and found out this episode in the Ariston Baths not only happened in real life, but it was also the first recorded raid in a gay establishment in American History, so to speak.

The story revolves around Theodore, a young man who has lived in a little town all his life, and has known nothing different. One
Joyfully Jay
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wendy
A Joyfully Jay review.

This was one of those historical novels that hooked me right from the beginning. The story starts off in June 1969, the day after the Stonewall Inn Riots. Theodore and Jasper, both in their 90s, hear of the news and are thrilled that “their people” have done what Theodore wished had happened 66 years earlier during the first recorded raid on a homosexual establishment at the Ariston Baths in New York City.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ariston Baths, th
Ulysses Dietz
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Michael Murphy
Four stars

What I loved about this book, and what earned it the four stars, is the history it tells. Based on one of the more dramatically homophobic incidents of the early 20th century in America, Michael Murphy’s saga of Theodore McCall, Martin Fuller and Jasper Webb is a sincere, thoughtful foray into historical fiction. By starting the book with the main protagonists celebrating the Stonewall Riots in 1969, we are assured that in the midst of all the
Vallie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was very different to my usual reads –a historical, for one, which I don’t pick often, and not really a romance. But it was well written, well-researched, and maintained the air of reading something important.

Theodore was a young gay man living in a small town and working as a clerk in a general store circa 1903. His best friend and former lover had moved to New York to explore more exciting things 2 and a half years prior and Theodore felt like he was in a rut. He was working a job that d
Misty
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This powerful and moving story, brilliantly carved around actual events, just resonated within me. Some characters stay with you after you finish reading a book. For me, Theodore, Martin and Jasper are one of those - they definitely stirred something inside of me ... Highly recommended!

Dedicated to the memory of the men whose lives were forever altered one night in 1903.- Michael Murphy

Rafa Brewster
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Just Love Romance
4.5 Stars!

This book caught me completely by surprise in such a great way. I really had no idea what to expect when I picked it up. Right off the bat, I was intrigued by the dedication (to the memory of the men whose lives were forever altered one night in 1903). I immediately discarded all naughty thoughts of Turkish bathhouses from my brain.

And it was a good thing I did, because the book started off at a slow pace as it laid the groundwork for what would ultimatel
Suze
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy books where fact and fiction merge together and I have the opportunity to learn something new.
This story did highlight the different times in which they lived - a more simplistic time but also under the small town microscope.
Martin has escaped the the big city but Theodore is still in small town Pennsylvania. Circumstances allow Teddy to move to NYC but it is a big culture shock - not just the city but also Martin in the city is a shock let alone the baths.
The recounting of the raid
Andrea Goodell
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
You know when you start reading a book and you mentally have an image of it going a certain way. And it doesn’t, not even close. That was this book for me.

We start in present day, all characters are old men, reliving how they got to that point in there lives.

The writing itself is very engaging story, you can picture it happening to any two middle American boys of the 1900’s.

My problem is, I’m a romantic, so when we started painting the picture of Teddy and Martin, true love and all that, and the
Heather
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Night at the Ariston Baths is a roller coaster of emotion. Theodore McCall leads a pretty mundane life in a small Pennsylvania town, thinking he wants more out of life, he heads to New York City where his best friend, Martin now lives. Once there, it's not what Theodore expects. The Ariston Baths were a part of history I knew nothing about so after reading this I looked it up and was delighted at the detail the author put in. As a fan of historicals and a bit of a history buff, when authors de
JOHN BAXTER
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2016
Joanne
Funzee Shu
Ton
May 05, 2016
The Backlot Gay B...: Michael Murphy's A Night at the Ariston Baths 1 15 Jul 07, 2016 06:44PM
Who am I? One of these days I need to decided what I want to be when I grow up.

I am a middle-aged man, born in the far reaches of upstate New York - parts that give the word "rural" meaning. Now I live in Washington, DC.

When one of those milestone birthdays hit me and scared the crap out of me, I realized there were more years behind me than there were in front of me. My mortality hit me like so