Start by marking “This Old Heart of Mine” as Want to Read:
This Old Heart of Mine

This Old Heart of Mine

Ava Malone knows all about being broken-hearted.

Born with a severe heart defect, she’s spent her whole life in and out of hospital desperately needing a transplant.

Just days from death, her weak prayers are finally answered, and she receives a new heart; one that not only saves her life, but changes it forever.

Now fit and healthy, Ava is able to do things she only dreamed
Published (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about This Old Heart of Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Old Heart of Mine

KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕
༺**Complimentary Copy**༺ Provided by the author
"A.J. Compton" in exchange for an honest review..Thank you!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TITLE: This Old Heart of Mine
AUTHOR: A.J. Compton
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
RELEASE DATE:

MY RATING
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've not read anything by this author previously but I'm keen to see what journey she takes me on with "The Old Heart of Mine."

THIS OLD HEART OF MINE

"Do you know why I named you Ava?” my mom asks.
Because Ava means life.
It means living.
I wanted you to live forever.

Ava was born with
Bev
Ah I really did enjoy this one, a sweet second chance at love and life romance. Both characters are really likeable and didn't annoy me at all, yes .... even with a separation which is a total pet peeve.

That said, I've knocked off a star because the sex scenes were fade to black, and I'm not a fan of authors hinting at a sex scene. If it's going to be included then SHOW me, don't leave it up to the readers imagination. I also would have liked Gabriel's POV sooner than clamming for it until the 7
Rebecca Woodward
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 ⭐'s

This story broke my heart in so many ways. The interesting part is the Author gives so much information regarding organ donors. This story gives you the emotions an individual goes through and their family. I cried and cried my ass off during some chapters. I had lots of Awww! Moments to. This is a real smooth read including a twist towards the ending. I loved the banter between the characters.
BexLOVESBooks
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
 photo Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 3.08.45 PM_zpsi066rpwm.png
Just wow, a beautiful book, through and through, cover to cover, inside and out. When I read the blurb, before this book came out, I have to admit, I was nervous. So scared that this book would wreck me, and break me. But AJ Compton is such an amazing writer I decided to bite the bullet and put my heart in her hands with the the trust that she wouldn't completely smash it to smithereens. :)

I was so afraid that this book would be a story of love and loss. But it was SO MUCH MORE then that. It w
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I always knew this heart belonged to someone else. I just didn't realize how much."

I cried my eyes out since the very first chapter, and even though my head was telling me not to read it, my heart had other idea, so I man up and read it.

The emotions the author managed to pour into her words were simply beautiful. But not happy with all the feelings she brought out in me, she gave me poetry. I'm not a poetry reader, but AJ Compton definitely knew what she was doing because with her poems she a
SissiReads
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finished This Old Heart of Mine by AJ Compton last night. I am BLOWN AWAY by this enchanting story and by her beautiful writing. There is just something about AJ Compton's writing that draws me in and I enjoyed every single minute of it. This is a definite 5 star read for me and this book has some of the most beautiful passages I have ever read. It is just simply amazing and captivating. It is like lyrics and song, it echoes through space and it echoes through time. It has definitely left a ma ...more
☆ Aimetz
Wow...

I'm speechless...

One of the things you got AJ, is that you make me ugly cry...

This book is and will be one of those books that I'll never forget and that will be in my heart forever .

Today I sleep with tears but aren't tears of sadness. I'm so overwhelmed with feelings.
It was a beautiful story.

“You’re are my heart”

Este es y será uno de los libros más hermosos, complejo y rompe corazones que he leído, y sin duda mi favorito de este año.

Sabes cuando un libro es bueno porque no puedes dej
Stephanie Alba
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? I'm not sure my words can truly represent how beautiful this story is. Not only does poetry appear throughout its pages, but the actual story between two damaged characters is pure poetry. AJ's writing feels like reading lyrics written to a lover in secret. They are gorgeous and poignant, and they make you feel with such powerful emotion, you won't be able to get enough. Gabriel and Ava grow together and the best part is they bring the reader through a journey of ...more
KceeReads
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing

There are books that entertain us; some provide us with an armchair travel, and others? They do both. And sometimes, they even change how we see our lives.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can review AJ Compton's This Old Heart Of Mine. It's really tough to review something so beautiful, your vocabulary has suddenly gone short.

This Old Heart Of Mine is the story of heart transplant survivor Ava Malone. All her life, she was protected by her mom because of her heart condition. Now given a se
Bookylicious
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one has a used and predictable plot. But it was really nice to read. If I were in MC's shoes I'll totally give the same response to that predictable twist:))) this book is about organ donation. Ava has a heart condition from the begining of her life-from her first breath. Her father left them when he learns her condition(what a cowrd ha!!!) ava survives 22 years and when the time comes for her to say goodbye to earth and her loved ones (that chapter was heart shuttering/lots of tears, dont ...more
DG
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! All kind of feels packed into this great read...life is a roller coaster ride...you can either stay on the ground and watch or jump on the ride and throw your hands in the air! Ava definitely decided to jump on the ride!
Jodi Bird (Ruby Red Romance Review)
This Old Heart of Mine is one of the most gut wrenching, heart breaking, magical stories I have read. There are very few stories lately that have affected me the way this one did. I’m trying to find a way to write this review without, 1) giving to much away and 2) breaking down into a million tiny pieces all over again. There really aren't enough stars for how much I LOVED this book!

Ava have never known what it’s like to live life as a healthy child. She has spent the majority of her life in a h
Mandy Desay
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I always knew this heart belonged to someone else, I just never knew how much"

Born with a heart defect, Ava has spent her entire life in and out of hospital waiting on a heart transplant, that just doesn't seem to arrive. Now hours from death, the heart she has been desperately waiting for finally arrives.

Now Happy and Healthy Ava begins a journey with her best friend by her side of self discovery and living the life she only ever dreamed of. But what happens when she finds out more about the
Meg Trashy
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok so this book was amazing. AJ you did it, you made me cry a few times. And people who know me, know I'm a rock and books don't get to me like that. No I didn't ugly cry, I don't ugly cry, I just shed a few tears. But this story was beautiful, and now you have me wanting a Spanish poet which Im not even into. You made a sensitive man sexy. How? I don't know. But keep it up. Can't wait to read more from you. I don't want to give any details away, just know this book will break your heart, piece ...more
BeautyandtheBooks
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm ugly crying right now. They're not sad tears though. This old heart of mine can't even take it. My God, the feels are off the damn charts. I can't even deal with life right now! I would never expect anything less than beauty and pain when I read her books! I feel like the wind has been knocked out of me. It's so damn beautiful. And hello?!? A sexy Argentinian man?! Ughhhh. Yes yes yes!! Gimme.
More words to come after its released, if I can find the right ones for this book!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
RentasticReads
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That is EXQUISITE! I'm at a loss for words and still have tears in my eyes. Oh my goodness, so many feels and tears—bucketloads of them. So much loss and grief and heartache. But with all that comes hope and light and second chances, too. This book is just as uplifting as it is excruciating. The tale of Ava Malone and Gabriel Cruz had my heart spasming and squeezing the whole time. And I've been choked up since I hit the second half of the book. Yet, I inhaled all of it.

A.J. Compton's words are
Beauté De Livres  (Vivian Freeman)
It’s really hard for me to write this review without getting personal or emotional. Five years ago, I was faced with the impossible task of deciding when to switch my father’s life support machine off. With my parents divorced and no longer speaking, the responsibility fell on the oldest daughter – me. And with that responsibility came the next question enough, do we donate his organs? Amongst all the different opinions and all the grieving family, I was glad that my dad and I had had this conve ...more
Rustys
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is so much more than I thought it would be.
I experienced sadness, joy, hope, pain and so much love.
The love a mother has for her child, a love so strong between two friends
it is hard to know where one ends and the other begins.
The agony of lost love, the promise of newfound love but none as
vital as the love of life.
This is the story of a young woman on the threshold of death reprieved by the gift of life.
 photo heartbeat.jpg
I loved how Ava embraced her new life. Everything was new, exciting and beautifu
Staci
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my second book in a row that pulled at my heart strings…. and made me shed some tears!

Ava has led a sheltered life being in hospitals almost her entire life with heart problems. She has always been a vibrant sole but becomes more so when she finally gets to experience all the things she missed that we take for granted- running if we want to, having pizza, eating your favorite ice cream.

Then she meets Gabriel and finally gets to experience what love feels like. And then her heart hurts f
Brit
Advance Readers Copy (ARC) provided for my blog for an honest review from the author

This book. How can you even form words to explain how amazing and wonderful, captivating This Old Heart of Mine was. I laughed, I loved, I lived through this book with the main character Ava. This had become one of my all time favorite books. I cried while reading throughout the pages of this story just because it's just so beautiful.

It's definitely one of a kind. and I highly recommend reading this.
Paula
There are the kind of books that entertain and then there are the kind that touch your heart and soul. And if you're really lucky you'll read a book that does both.
"This Old Heart of Mine" by A.J. Compton is the kind of book that manages both. It is a book that imprints itself on your very being. One that reaches into the darkest corners of your soul and shines brightly with its beauty.
A.J. Compton writes touching and unique stories, avoiding any tropes or predictability. And she creates chara
Wit & Wonder Books
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review***

This Old Heart of Mine by A.J. Compton is a stellar book full of emotion pouring off every page . I had not read anything previously by this author , but this book changed that for me . I will be recommending this author and this book to everyone !

It is a coming of age and self discovery book packed full of beautifully written characters . This is a 'must read' book of 2016 ! I hope to see this one made into a movie . Yeah , it is that good ! T
Reflections of a Book Geek
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-from-author, r
5 Stars

Wow this was a such a powerful story in my opinion!! Make sure you have some tissues on hand before you dive into This Old Heart Of Mine!!

This book started off with such emotion I could barely see the words on the page I was sobbing so hard. My heart broke and was put back together again all in the space of 3 chapters!

The characters made me fall in love with each and every one of them, they were all so likeable that you couldn't help but form a bond with them and feel like you were taki
Jessi Elliott
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Review as posted on my blog https://livingwithinfiction.wordpress...

I received an e-ARC of This Old Heart Of Mine from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Right off the bat I was hit with the feels. The introduction to Ava's story was fiercely emotional, and while I should have expected that from reading the synopsis, it still took me off guard. In a good way. I think.

As I read further into the story I felt empathy for the characters, and I was happy Ava was living her life, but other th
Emily Goodman
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
AJ Compton’s This Old Heart of Mine is one of those books that gobbles your heart and soul right up when you open it’s pages. Immediately you are connected to Ava Malone, a young woman on the verge of dying in desperate need of a heart transplant. Your emotions are high, tears are flowing and just when Ava is about to take her last breath she gets the opportunity to live twice. She does just that when she meets Gabriel Cruz, a dark and broody poet, but the unthinkable happens and for the first t ...more
BookNerdMommy
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The best book hangover I've received yet! I'm still an emotional mess over this book. Like I can't even give this in words how I feel and convey how much this book meant to me. But here goes a shot of me trying to. You know when you come across a book and you just want to savor it, breathe it in, take your time and slow down your reading so that book never ends, where you wish you were an author where you could convey exactly those emotions that race through your blood stream whilst your reading ...more
Emmbooks
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've started this review and had to delete it at least ten times. I've a million things I want to say yet I can't think of a word to start with.

AJ Compton manages to rip my heart out with her words. yet at the same time I love it all.

She takes the subject of death and weaves a stunning story with it.

Ava is hours from Death. I can't describe my feelings adequately here. despite knowing the plot of the book I was still petrified at times. The twisted feeling of dread her words leave you with ar
Talkbooks
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
~~*:Reviewed by Bethany:*~~
"Not all kinds of love can have a label placed on them because the words haven't been invented yet."

Bethany
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing

The word hasn't been invented for my love of A.J.'s books. Her words flow together beautifully and make me think...about everything. Ava's heart. It gave her life, but to save Ava's life, another had to lose theirs. This heart that saved her also has the potential to shatter her. I was not just reading about a heart, but beyond that I was reading about living life and enjoying every moment and liv
Martha Boss
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not many people believe in fate, but I do. I know that we are destined to meet who our soul connects with. In the case of this love story, it's who our hearts connect with.

From swiping the first 5 pages I was crying. The very first chapter had tears running down my face. I was sobbing, but couldn't stop reading for the simple fact that AJ Compton had me hooked by the words and pure emotion. She grabbed my heart and pulled it telling me to come on a ride I would never truly recover from.

Just lik
« previous 1 3 next »

• Unearthed (The Heights, #2)
  • Sadie's Mountain (Montani Semper Liberi , #1)
  • The New Rule (The Casual Rule #2)
  • Cirque: Act 1 (Cirque, #1)
  • Crashing Souls (Crashing Souls, #1)
  • The Bars That Hold Us
  • God's Eye (Northwomen Sagas, #1)
  • The Dark Dreamer (The Dark Dreamer #1)
  • Hold on Tight (Take My Hand, #2)
  • The Missing Volume I- Illusions
  • Keeping Secrets
  • Break Line (Off Ocean Ave, #1)
  • Waking Hearts (Cambio Springs, #3)
  • After the Storm (Clarity, #4)
  • Begging for It (Asking for It, #2)
  • This Time (Moments, #3)
  • In the Hope of Memories
  • Say Something: A Hate List Novella

A.J. Compton wants a lot of things;

To write books that make you think and feel deeply.

To make you ugly cry and cry with laughter. In the same book.

To write stories that make you anti-social and have you staying up late to finish them.

To show that life can be cruel and difficult, but it can also be incredibly beautiful and worthwhile.

And what A.J. really wants, is to write books that make you reme
“I try not to react, but I must fail because Gabriel turns to look at me. “The world needs both butterflies and lions. One is not better than the other. They're both beautiful and brave in their own ways.”

His hand covers mine as it fiddles with the blades of grass. “Ava.” I look up. “I do not wish you were a lion any more than I would have wished her to be a butterfly.”
1 likes
“I'm a poet who has lost his words." He looks across the street, but not before I catch the dull glint of shame in his eyes.

"Where did you lose them?" I ask, gentling my tone.

He turns back to me. When he speaks, his voice is so small that I have to lean closer to hear it. "The same place I lost myself.”
1 likes