Start by marking “Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)

Truly Devious

(Truly Devious #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  18,573 ratings  ·  4,067 reviews
Ellingham Academy is a famous private school in Vermont for the brightest thinkers, inventors, and artists. It was founded by Albert Ellingham, an early twentieth century tycoon, who wanted to make a wonderful place full of riddles, twisting pathways, and gardens. "A place" he said, "where learning is a game."

Shortly after the school opened, his wife and daughter were kidn
Published January 16th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Truly Devious, please sign up.
Kasia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Molly Just finished the book. There's nothing supernatural, just a classic YA mystery novel.

·  18,573 ratings  ·  4,067 reviews

شيماء ✨
Me: *reads the last page and closes the book with a loud thump*

Me, in a Buzzfeed Unsolved voice: with that in mind, let’s get into the THEORIES.

First of all, if I think about it hard enough, my physical form isn't even an objective fact of the universe and if I want the sequel to this book right now, I should have it.

Second of all, I still don't have the barest idea of who did it....but I suspect aliens were involved.

So, what’s this book about?

At Ellingham Academy, Stephanie “Stevie” Bell find
Emma Giordano
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. If you need a new YA mystery novel, this is the one for you! Truly Devious totally took me by surprise. I had no idea I would love this book as much as I did!

Cw: murder

I loved our main character, Stevie. I wish this book existed in high school so that I could have had a female protagonist interested in true crime to relate to. I feel Stevie is extremely competent, self-aware, and has a really great head on her shoulders. I also loved her best friends, Janelle – we need more b
Melanie
“A girl from Pittsburgh came to Ellingham Academy and she wanted to see a dead body. She got her wish.”

Friends, you’d think a book that is centered around two different murders would be a lot more exciting and enjoyable to read. I know I sound harsh already, but I just really thought I was going to love this one. But I truly only ended up loving the atmosphere of the setting and the amazing anxiety rep. That’s it.

This story stars a young girl named Stevie, who just got invited to attend Ell
Kassidy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Um what?!?! I need book 2 right now. The end was such a teaser, things were just starting to come together. I need answers! Haha
jessica
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
i swear, there is no better feeling in the world than getting to a big reveal in a murder mystery and being able to shout, ‘I KNEW IT!’

maybe that makes the story too predictable and easy, but wow, what a confidence boost and what an enjoyable book! for a plot revolving around a murder, this was surprisingly light? the story had a very easy going and game-like feel to it. this was also a slow burn mystery (nothing really happens until about halfway in), but it was done in a really effective way w
megs_bookrack
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book.

THAT ENDING!
I cannot express how happy I am that I actually put off reading this until now. I don't think I could have waited a long period of time for the sequel.

It was truly devious of Ms. Johnson to leave off on such a cliffhanger!

Ellingham Academy, set in the remote mountains of Vermont, is a private school for gifted students. Founded by the wealthy industrialist, Albert Ellingham, at the turn of the 20th Century, Ellingham Academy offers up an environment where
April
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That cliffhanger though.
C.G. Drews
I have come to the conclusion that murder-mysteries that aren't standalones and therefore don't wrap up in one book are very stressful. I have QUESTIONS and no answers and also no sequel in my cold clammy paws. Dammit, universe.

Anyway this was my first time reading a solo book by Maureen Johnson! I definitely enjoyed this! I read her short story in Let it Snow and can 100% confirm that I remember nothing because it was like, um, 4 years ago that I read it. Anyway this reminded me a ton of John G
emma
baby, let me tell you...I GOT WHAT I CAME FOR.

review to come

-------------

i am ready for INTRIGUE. i am ready for SUSPENSE. i am ready for CRIME and MURDER.
Erin
3.5 Stars

I don't think I'm suppose to like this book. I mean I should like it and I did like it but I don't know why I liked it.

The plot sounds great Stevie is a True Crime fanatic (something we share in common) who's bookcase is filled with the great detective novels, such as Sherlock and Poirot. She listens to True Crime podcast and is obsessed with the ID channel (again something we share in common) and hopes to become an FBI agent when she grows up. Stevie applies to and is accepted into El
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
That cliffhanger though
Chelsea Humphrey
I’ve tried this one on three separate occasions and it’s just not working for me. I think it’s just my fault and not the book’s; I’m not connecting and keep putting it down to read other things. On to the next!
Hamad
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

“You have to take things as they are, not how you hear they’re supposed to be.”

🌟 I usually read contemporaries or mystery/ thriller novels when I want to take a break from the Fantasy genre! This was like 60% Mystery and 40% Contemporary and I am not sure if that was a good combination.

🌟 The writing style was good, not too poetic, not too bland! It was right for a story of this kind. I think wh
Vani
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, audiobook
The problem with me and murder mysteries is that I come up with insane theories like it was a ghost or the baby or the ghost of a baby or wait the murder victim isn't actually dead, they faked the whole thing. And I'm so ready and excited. And then it's actually someone's uncle named Steve to whom I paid like no attention throughout the whole story and it's such a wompwompwomp that I'm like who even am I? Why do I read murder mysteries, which I know will disappoint me?

THAT ASIDE, this is gooood?
Shaun Hutchinson
I really enjoyed Truly Devious, but it wasn’t a complete story. There’s not a single story arc in this book that comes to a conclusion, and that’s frustrating as hell. The book simply ends mid plot. I should have known better because the same thing happened with the Shades of London series.
Michael
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know this would have a sequel I AM SHOOK. With most books that switch back and forth between timelines, there is usually one I like more than the other. That wasn't the case here. Between present day and the past, we were presented TWO intriguing murder mysteries to solve. Though I didn't love the conclusion here and felt we weren't exactly given enough clues to solve the present day mystery until the very end, I literally gasped out loud no less than three times while reading, and that ...more
Tatiana
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of A Study in Charlotte
Updated

So I've performed a fit of astonishing perseverance and read the whole book. Was it worth the effort? Not really, but I am at least ready to discuss details with my book club mates.

It's not that this novel is bad. I don't think it is. It's an ok mystery, with historical flashbacks that are much more compelling than present day obnoxious kids mucking about. But it's just so very boring. The main character is boring, the students are precocious and boring, they talk about boring things and
Schools may be famous for many things: academics, graduates, sports teams.
They are not supposed to be famous for murders.

Albert Ellingham created a school that knows no limits. He wanted learning to be a game for those who attended. Tuition is free and everyone learns at their own pace. It's a dream for anyone to attend. Although, shortly after it opened, Ellingham's wife and daughter were kidnapped and never found. A mysterious riddle listing ways to murder had appeared a week prior signed on
chandler ainsley ♕
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya-contemporary
a main character bold enough to knock herself unconscious when her anxiety gets to be too much

this book was much better than i was expecting, thank the fucking lord. i've read a couple of maureen johnson's other books and haven't ever been very impressed. this one kind of changed my mind about her.

basic premise is that a wealthy 1930s tycoon starts a free school for children in the mountains of vermont where he also hosts small but lavish gatherings with the rich and famous. said tycoon's wife a
Dayla
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an advanced reader copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

WHAT DID I JUST READ?! How did that ending happen? Vague answers, hints at something conclusive, but left with almost...nothing? I’m so confused and kind of pissed off. What did I just read? Was I truly waiting for a semi-decent conclusion when all I got was a “to be continued”? I get that it’s the first in a series, but seriously, what the actual living f*%# did I read? At least give us a decent conclusion!

The bui
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I enjoyed this, but I feel like the audiobook was definitely the wrong way to go for me. It was too hard for me to keep details straight and I was mostly just confused. Definitely going to re-read this one in physical form before the next book comes out so I can be better prepared!
may ❀
THIS WAS GOOD
THIS WAS REALLY GOOD

IM VERY MUCH IMPRESSED BY THIS BOOK AND ITS MYSTERY (especially since i literally went into this book knowing nothing about anything bc who reads the synopsis?? not me)

AND I NEED BOOK 2 BECAUSE HOW DARE IT END LIKE THAT AND NOT GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANTED
Jessy MelodyofBooks
Ich hatte hohe Erwartungen an die Geschichte, die total erfüllt wurden. Der schreibstil ist recht eigensinnig, aber passend zur Story und Stevie. Der Leser wird schön in die Gegebenheiten auf der Academy und seine Bewohner eingeführt. Wir lernen Stevie und ihre Eigenarten kennen und auch lieben - ich zu mindestens. Die Rückblenden ins Jahr 1937 ergänzen die Geschichte. Zwar wird nicht alles aufgelöst, aber das wesentlich wird im ersten Band der Reihe geklärt, wobei mir das etwas plötzlich vorkam ...more
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
It's a miracle, a mystery book that legit kept me guessing all the way through. I'm always guessing things too quickly on mysteries, so this was a breath of fresh air.

I'm so happy I was this engaged with the story that I'm not even mad that Truly Devious leaves many important answers for its sequel. Maybe I'm just cool because we're so close to the release in January.

I don’t know why, but I was kind of really tense reading this. It's not a creepy book per say, but maybe the setting of the school
Stacee
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

I am a huge true crime fan, so I was all over this story.

Love love loved Stevie and this cast of characters. She’s smart and maybe a bit odd and socially awkward, but I loved being in her head. The rest of the cast is just as equally intriguing and I immediately didn’t trust anyone.

Plot wise, it’s captivating. The story is told in two threads: the story of Albert Ellingham, his family, and those events + the current timeline. It was an effective way to get the information without an i
Beverly
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me a whole to warm up to this murder mystery, but the ending is so danged good I can't wait for the second in the trilogy. Why is everything a trilogy !!!??

Teen super sleuth Stevie gets into the elite Bellingham Academy on her letter alone which is about how much she wants to solve crimes. The school comes with its own kidnapping and murder and she knows all about it and wants to solve it. She is an oddball so of course I took to her right away and has never had too many friends and on t
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Me, looking at the numerous angry reviews now that I've waited for the sequel to be safely downloaded in my kindle to finish the book : hahahahaha I don't know what you're talking about
Alaina
I HATE CLIFFHANGERS PEOPLE!

So when I went to the bookstore and saw this book I didn't even second guess when it landed in my hands and I handed over money like a robot buying books. It's like I woke up from my haze the next day and had no idea how many books I bought. I should probably stay away from book stores.. but we all know that would never happen. I might die!

Okay so the beginning of Truly Devious,/I> was truly amazing. I was hooked instantly. It reminded me of so many previous books,
Peter Monn
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg!!!!! So good. But the ending. Literally screaming out loud. My full review will be on my booktube channel at http://Youtube.com/peterlikesbooks
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Ughhhh cliffhangers are the worst

I really enjoyed reading this, I have more questions than answers right now, and I need the next book ASAP pls

I really loved the setting and Ellingham Academy and the flash backs were a brilliant touch!

description
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • Every Breath (Every, #1)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes #3)
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • Macbeth
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • The Truth Beneath the Lies
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Like Never and Always
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
  • The Long Game (The Fixer, #2)
  • I Am Princess X
  • People Like Us
  • To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel
Maureen knew from an early age she wanted to be a writer. She went to high school at an all-girls' Catholic school and graduated from University of Delaware with a degree in writing. She now lives and writes in New York City.

Many of the adventures Maureen's characters face in her books are based on real-life stories. Maureen has traveled all over Europe, and is a Secret Sister to vlog brothers Han

Truly Devious (3 books)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
“Where her books were, she was. Get the books right and the rest will follow. Now she could address the rest of the room.” 33 likes
“When you have enough power and money, you can dictate the meanings of words.” 23 likes