Start by marking “The Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty: 125 Recipes for Vegan, Gluten-Free, Cruelty-Free Makeup, Skin and Hair Care Products” as Want to Read:

Part DIY vegan beauty how-to, part cookbook, and part self-improvement manifesto, The Compassionate Chick's Guide to Beauty showcases non-toxic, rejuvenating and restorative skin care and beauty products that you can whip up in your kitchen with simple ingredients for pennies per treatment.

Why spend $40 on a facial mask or $8 on a package of organic facial wipes when you c
Published September 30th 2016 by Robert Rose

To ask other readers questions about The Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty

Start your review of The Compassionate Chick's Guide to DIY Beauty: 125 Recipes for Vegan, Gluten-Free, Cruelty-Free Makeup, Skin and Hair Care Products
Melissa
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Got me thinking about all the chemicals I have been slathering all over myself for years. Threw away all my chemical based face washes, lotions, make-up, shampoos, conditioners, ect....I never got the results I really wanted from them anyways! The first 57 pages has great information about oils and ingredients to use in your own skincare line. It also talks about all the different toxins in the products we buy and how to read your labels. A lot of great easy recipes to make your ...more
Honesty
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Guilt-free beauty products that work as well as the ones in the store. Sounds like a dream, doesn't it? Unfortunately, acutally making many of these products turned out to be a nightmare. With often vague directions (how in the world do you get your finished mascara in the tube?) and quickly-cooling ingredients (the lipstick cools before you even get it into the tube if heated as directed), most of these products were too complicated to actually be worth your time. Plus, some of the yields were ...more
Melissa Taylor
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic guide to DIY beauty! Aside from the recipes, it’s packed with information on the benefits of natural ingredients as well as the nasty chemicals found in many products. I have only made the pore de-gunking coffee facial scrub so far and it made a noticeable difference to my skin for days after. I’m looking forward to trying out many more of the recipes.
Bee
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED how this book really got me checking what is in my currently used beauty products. I am very excited to try out some of the recipes, I love how open the author is about switching scents from the essential oils she picked to whatever you like the best. In some cases she writes to specifically use the ones she picked due to the health benifits of them which is super cool.
Autumn
Oct 07, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skin-care
I have read better books on DIY. Most of these ideas are not practical. If someone is thinking of creating powder makeup I would look at other books/websites. I do not recommend using a spice or food product in a foundation for colour. Iron oxide (as in mineral makeup) works better.
Donna Zigmont
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it but wanted to like it more. I like making my own bath products. And when I saw this in the library I picked it up right away. There were some good recipes for facial masks and hair masks that I plan to try. That being said the rest left me unimpressed.
Rachel
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great compilation of recipes for natural skin and beauty products. Even though I don't follow a vegan diet, I have sensitive skin, especially in winter, and have become more aware of the chemicals and additives in the products I use daily. With combinations of essential oils, salts/sugars, waxes, and butters, anyone can customize a variety of items scented and formulated for your specific preferences and needs. Many ingredients are already in your kitchen, and have multiple uses for fo ...more
Heather Nagel
Oct 21, 2019
moniqueee
Jul 08, 2021
Beth White
Found a couple good recipes
ana com a de akatsuke
Oct 12, 2021

• Cook with Jamie
  • The Missing Treasures of Amy Ashton
  • The Year We Turned Forty
  • Cook Once Dinner Fix: Quick and Exciting Ways to Transform Tonight's Dinner into Tomorrow's Feast
  • The Flavor Equation: The Science of Great Cooking Explained in More Than 100 Essential Recipes
  • Count the Ways
  • It's Always Freezer Season: How to Freeze Like a Chef with 100 Make-Ahead Recipes [A Cookbook]
  • The Earring Style Book: Making Designer Earrings, Capturing Celebrity Style, and Getting the Look for Less
  • How Poetry Can Change Your Heart
  • Mending Matters: Stitch, Patch, and Repair Your Favorite Denim & More
  • Do Dead People Watch You Shower?: And Other Questions You've Been All but Dying to Ask a Medium
  • We Were Tired of Living in a House
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Before the Ever After
  • Better Together: Strengthen Your Family, Simplify Your Homeschool, and Savor the Subjects That Matter Most
  • Cards for Brianna: A Lifetime of Lessons and Love from a Dying Mother to Her Daughter
  • Inside Out & Back Again
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)

News & Interviews

The weather’s getting cooler—here in the northern hemisphere, anyway—and that means time is running out for participants in this year’s...