Start by marking “Borderland: Where Magic Meets Rock & Roll (Borderland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Borderland: Where Magic Meets Rock & Roll (Borderland, #1)

Borderland: Where Magic Meets Rock & Roll

(Borderland #1)

First in the Borderland Series of books.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published December 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published May 6th 1986)

Nathan Brown
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a teenager, a 15-yr-old angsty boy struggling with ADHD, in desperate need of an escape. This book will always have a special place in my heart, and heavily influenced me as a writer.
B.R. Sanders
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Borderland is the very first installation in the series of the same name—a corpus of shared-world short stories and novels which collectively serves as a foundational text for the urban fantasy genre. Written in the 1980s, the books meld punk sensibilities and old-world high-fantasy glamour.

Borderland (this volume) is an anthology of four pieces of short fiction by Steven R. Boyet, Terri Windling writing as Bellamy Bach, Charles De Lint and Ellen Kushner. As with Bordertown, which I read and rev
Becky
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eighties mythic urban fantasy that, almost more than War of the Oaks, sets the tone for the rest of the genre. The prose is merely serviceable, the characters likable but uncomplicated, but the aesthetic of Celtic punk rock, elf/human gang warfare, and glamorous urban decay absolutely succeeds. You can understand why this series inspired its own new wave/nerd subculture back in the eighties.

The first three stories are very much cut of the same cloth, but Kushner's last story is a welcome surpris
Freya
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faerie, fantasy
Review to come :)
Darin
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these books twice as a teenager and I still have my original copies! It's one of my favorite series and even after all these years I still remember a lot of the stories and characters.

***Update***

I just got The Essential Bordertown so I am re-reading the series.
Hyzenthlay
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Maybe the five stars are for nostalgia, but that's not all. These books make me ache for the me-that-was, the me that longed for Bordertown with all her heart. Punk rock and the fae, how can you go wrong?
Jaimie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodotha
First, I want to thank my local library for tracking down a copy of this for me to read. You guys rock.

So why only three stars? Personal taste, largely. I'm not at all trying to say it hasn't earned its rep, because I think it really has. But I'm coming at it 30 years after it was written, after reading a ton of stuff written by people inspired by this book. Even if I didn't devour it in one sitting, I'm still really glad I got a chance to read it.

This is the first book in a famous series of ant
Vae
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can understand why this is a classic - it's a lovely introduction to the world, every story building out a little more as well as introducing great characters.
Peggi Warner-lalonde
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun - I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.
Иван Величков
Упорито препоръчвана ми от системата на гудрийдс книга на която реших да дам шанс. Води се за един от основоположниците на стила ърбън фентъзи(аз му викам постидустриално). Действието се развивва на неизвестно как появилата се граница между нашия и елфическия свят, на която хора и елфи са построили град обслужващ взаимните им търговски интереси. Пълен с гета, банди, музика, недобре работещи технология и магия, бунтари и бегълци от двете страни на границата.

Prodigy - Steven R. Boyett - Най-добрия
D.
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books I'd always heard about, but never been able to track down. Finally, last year, Greg at Dreamhaven books sold me a battered old copy so I could see what everyone was talking about.

This is a "shared world" anthology, about a place called "The Borderlands," where the world of elves and magic has inexplicably merged with the "real" world. The short stories take place in various time periods after the merger. Each of the stories builds a bit of the "mythology" of the serie
Dave Valdez
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I read this book for the first time when I was 15 or 16. It was a discarded copy which had the cover torn off. It had a black spine with white lettering, but I loved this book. I read it, re-read it and read it again. There was just something really attractive about a gritty future world with future-tech and fantasy. In my teenaged brain, it's was like a Reese's peanut butter cup: two great tastes that taste great together. In the past 26 years, I've never been able to find another copy ...more
Gail
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought when it was first published, I read and re-read the book, and hoped for more. Somehow I missed seeing them until now.
Go, Goodreads!

This anthology was an eye-opener, full of new ideas. I loved it. One thing I particularly remember was Wolf-boy finding four-leaf clovers and using them to buy things. Awesome!

When the book first came out, I was already well beyond my teenage years, and never had contemplated running away from home. This book introduced the thought that maybe people run away f
Valerie Floda
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure lovers, sci-fi fans, those who enjoy the dark side of mythos
Recommended to Valerie by: coworker
Given that this was a fast read, it still managed to intertwine the poetic with the grim, the fantastical with the purely pedantic. I thoroughly enjoyed the connectivity between four authors' tales as set at different times in the Borderland region. The subtle (and not so demure) personalities are set against a backdrop as diverse as they are. At less than 300 pages, one still manages to come to know the characters and vie for their quests for knowledge, power and truth. It is post-modern meets ...more
Jordan
I read this after having read the newest book in the Bordertown universe, Welcome to Bordertown, and despite my fears that this first book might feel too dated it was just as good. Sure, there's definitely things that place it in the 80's like band references, but the stories themselves felt like they could have belonged any time. There's only four stories in this collection, but I enjoyed all of them. I'm always kind of wary of shared universes, but Bordertown is really well down and has a lot ...more
Kate  K. F.
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bordertown series is where urban fantasy started to change and grow. This is I believe the first book and is a fascinating read because all the authors have a slightly different idea of what Bordertown will end up being. Every story is amazing from the first one that reads more like a post-apocalyptic scenario to the later ones where Bordertown becomes a clearer place. If you enjoy the urban fantasy of today, go find these books.
Chris Paluszek
It was ok. The description on the back was more exciting than what was inside. It sounds incredible- magic clashing with non-magic. However, that doesn't come up as much as you'd think. The conflict between elves and humans could have instead been set between neighboring ethnic ghettoes without changing much.
Andree
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book has an interestnig concept, elves and humans living in a city between the world and elfland. There's prejudice and crime and magical issues, and all sorts of other things. I enjoyed the four stories in this volume, particularly the first three. The last felt a bit unfinished for me. I'm considering reading more, although I think I'll take a break from it at the moment.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is maybe more like a 2.5. But since we can't give half-stars and this was one of the first things to do what it does, I'm giving it a 3. There are maybe 2 short stories here that really feel worth re-reading. But it established something fairly cool. It's kind of crazy to think that this has been around for 25 years, and that there will be a new anthology soon.
Janni
It's hard to know how to talk about this collection, since the four stories in it are so very different from one another. But I especially loved the last one, Ellen Kushner's Charis, which is the story that made the book worth the price of admission, for me.
Meredith
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most influential books I've ever read. Gritty realism and Fae. The best!
Lindig
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good.
Bryan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm in love with this world.
Jeremy Brooks
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. I would have really loved this when I was 15 or 16, but it is still fun.
Claire
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember loving this book as a teen.
Michelle Morrell
My very favorite shared universe, about a city on the blurred edge of earth and faerie, and the people who find their way there. One of many anthologies and stand-alone novels.
Michelle E
Nov 25, 2018
What's the Name o...: SOLVED Borderlands? Maybe [s] 6 32 Oct 19, 2012 10:30AM

• Nevernever (Borderland, #5)
  • Finder (Borderland, #6)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #8)
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • The Ivory and the Horn (Newford, #3)
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • The Thread That Binds the Bones (Chapel Hollow #1)
  • The Last Hot Time
  • Wizard of the Pigeons
Terri Windling is an American editor, artist, essayist, and the author of books for both children and adults. Windling has won nine World Fantasy Awards, the Mythopoeic Award, the Bram Stoker Award, and her collection The Armless Maiden appeared on the short-list for the James Tiptree, Jr. Award. She was also honored with SFWA's Soltice Award in 2010, a life achievement award for "significant cont ...more

Borderland (8 books)
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Life on the Border  (Borderland, #3)
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #4)
  • Nevernever (Borderland, #5)
  • Finder (Borderland, #6)
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #7)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #8)