Start by marking “The Holidays (Choose Your Own Misery #2)” as Want to Read:
The Holidays (Choose Your Own Misery #2)

The Holidays

(Choose Your Own Misery #2)

From "The Onion" alum writers Mike MacDonald and Jilly Gagnon comes a hilarious choose-your-own-path story to ruin your holiday spirit.
This is the year you re going to do it: you re going to avoid Christmas completely!
...or you were, until your island getaway got washed out by a hurricane. Now you have to choose: should you spend the holiday with your shrewish sister a
Published October 18th 2016 by Diversion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holidays

Start your review of The Holidays (Choose Your Own Misery #2)
Robin Bonne
I was in the mood for some Christmas humor and this choose your own adventure book seemed like it might fit that description.

Overall, a lot of cheap bathroom humor. Sometimes the story wouldn’t make sense with the previous parts, and the ebook was set up so the links to other stories were on the same page as text for the current one I was reading, making it a little confusing to follow. Better ebook formatting could have easily fixed this problem.
Christine
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

If you are of a certain age, you remember, most likely with fondness, those Chose Your Own Adventure books. You know where you flipped to different pages depending on what action you chose to do. (You also most likely remember games like Zork and King’s Quest where you typed in commands). Those books seemed to end most of the time with the reader being eaten by wild dogs, trapped in a sewer, imprisoned by Santa Claus. In other words, a very messy ending
Erin
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor, arc-review
ARC for review - EPD: October 18, 2016.

I loved these books as a kid, and I was hoping for such much more fun from this one - it's definitely for adults, but I didn't get any actual laughs from it. Sigh.
Dana
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. You’ve just received an ARC in the mail. You’re super excited because you liked the previous book in this series.
If you want to immediately begin to read, go to 2.
If you want to wait and read it to your friends at movie night later this evening, go to 3.

2. F***, you forgot you have to go to work. You stuff the book into your purse so you can furtively read it on breaks. You have the best intentions, but you don’t want to wait for breaks, so you end up sneaking a page o
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
You want to feel like a kid again? Read "Choose Your Own Misery: The Holidays" by Mike MacDonald and Jilly Gagnon and feel young again. It is a choose your own adventure for adults! There are lots of points in the story that you have to make decisions and boy do they take you in totally different ways! I tried several ways and it was a hoot! It was fun and there are so many different options that I had to read it several times and still didn't get all the options possible. They are fun and cleve ...more
Arielle
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Choose Your Own Misery" is like the "Choose Your Own Adventure" serious. Except for adults. And unlike CYOA, none of the endings will be in your favor. Pretty freaking hilarious. Would be fun to read with a group of friends. Misery loves company :)
Claire
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These two are hilarious. So glad that they came out with another one-and such a perfect topic-God knows we all have our own Misery stories from the holidays!
Colona Public Library
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the "Choose Your Own Misery" series. It all starts out with the questions of how you want to spent your holidays. The First question is do you want to spend it with your new girlfriend or do you want to spend it on the beach? Your answer then sends you off to two completely different scenarios. Some of the funnier scenarios are:

1) bah humbug! You don't have time for hitchhikers! Turn to page 12. 2)Earn yourself some Christmas karma and help this weirdo out on p
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY)

RATING: 3.5 STARS

A choose your own adventure but for adults. After reading the Office version I was looking forward to the holiday version. It is a fun book. I would recommend this if you enjoyed reading the Choose your Own Adventure series.
Jane
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious second installment in the Choose Your Own Misery series. If you're a fan of dark humor, you'll love this book.
Kirsten
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
While Andy Williams might try to convince you that the holidays are the most wonderful time of the year, most people know that it is exactly the opposite. The once joyous holiday that you enjoyed as a child becomes overrun with obligations as you age. Office parties, gift shopping and family dinners are doubly miserable during the holidays. It was only a matter of time before someone created a Choose Your Own Adventure book about the holidays.

Choose Your Own Misery: The Holidays is just what you exp/>Choose
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Choose your own horrid, fetid, unpleasant path through the mire that is Christmastime.

If you are already sick of hearing how many shopping days are left before Christmas (and Halloween hasn't even arrived yet!), then today's book is going to be right up your alley. I wouldn’t class myself as a particular Christmas grump, but I had a lot of fun with this book nonetheless.
April
Of course, like the Choose Your Own Adventure books, you can start pretty much anywhere in the series and be fine. I’ve started with The Holidays by Mike MacDonald and Jilly Gagnon because I am a total sucker for all things Christmas and holiday related. Read my full review here>
Jilly Gagnon
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The best choose-your-path holiday-themed book I've written yet!
Mauoijenn
Mar 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
Currently counting the days till this holiday BEAST hits the shelf and better yet... in my hot hands!!
Hurry up FALL!
Thomas
Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, e-book
I bought this book about a year ago, thinking it would be a fun read. This year, as I was working my way through the Popsugar reading challenge prompts, I saw one for a choose-your-own-adventure book, and figured I'd give it a whirl. That was a mistake.

This book is terrible. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be, but there are just dumb choices along the way, and the book is populated by terrible people, including "you". And this isn't a 150-page multiple choice book; it's 362 pages
Noel Gaines
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, christmas
The Holidays (Choose your Own Misery #2) is a great choice for any miser out there during the holiday season. I, however, am not a miser so it was not as enthralling as I thought it would be. I tried several different miserable choices and still none were that enjoyable. Honestly, I wanted to laugh more, like I had with The Office (Choose Your Own Misery #1). The Holidays was dark from the beginning and just stayed dark. Written as if it was a serious book trying to be funny rather than a comedi ...more
M. C.
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cyoa
It took me a bad ending or two to get in to the slapstick spirit of The Holidays, and I can't say I stayed there long. At first I felt guilty for pretending to work over Christmas in order to avoid my girlfriend, but she turned out to be entertainingly whacked out in some threads. There was no pleasing my sister, but the craziness got less depressing, yet also less coherent, in some of the stranger corners of the story. If you enjoy random juvenile humor and a lose-lose situation where your choi ...more
Chase Parsley
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars (I liked the first CYOM - "The Office" slightly better), but who is counting...another instant dark humor classic from Mike MacDonald. Like the previous Choose Your Own Misery, I motored through this one and laughed out loud the whole way. Very hilarious book and the Church scene (not to give it away) made me laugh out loud the longest! Keep em' coming Choose Your Own Misery team!
Erikka
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funnier than the office one, and that one was funny. There are a couple paths in this one that made my husband laugh uncontrollably, and that is nearly impossible to do. I think the variety of options was better in this one, as well as the number of characters you interact with.
Aundrea
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The eBook version I'm able to read does not give me an option to click on my choice, nor does it give me the page numbers for the choices, so I can't give it as high a rating as I would like at this time. I will amend this when I can find a better version, or a print book.
Steve Dickerson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read, but difficult if you read it on a Kindle or Kindle-like device. The Choose Your Own Mystery is fun and creative, but I am not sure I read the whole book.
Rosie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Great concept, but it wasn’t has lol funny as I thought it could be, and most of the stories ended far too short. I didn’t want to keep rereading the opening.
Chris Labib
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: choose-me
The Holidays brutally captures the god-awful awkward tension and heightened emotions that surround "the most wonderful time of the year" while making you answer those questions that never seem to have a right answer: Do you spend the holiday with your family or hers? If it's supposed to be a cheery break from work, why is it so bloody stressful! And what gifts are you supposed to get?!

(Can someone turn this into a hysterical Groundhog-Day-esque holiday movie, please and thank you!)
Victoria
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS! no matter which turn you take there will be NO normality lol
Bunny
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, read-in-16
Do not read this book straight through from beginning to end! These pages contain too many different forms of misery for any one person to experience end to end. And it will feel like all your choices are meaningless if you do it that way, since they'll lead, inexorably, to existential absurdity, and while that's basically true of both life and this book, that's a pretty grim way to read.

You know that family member you look forward to seeing during family functions? The one who, when Grandma
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, adventure
If you read the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, then you are familiar with the format of this book even though it is not from the same company. Each section of text is followed by the presentation of two choices. In order to continue the plotline, you must choose one of them.

The premise, in this case, is the holidays. You are a single male who was hoping to skip the holidays this year on a tropical beach with your friend from college. But, the trip is canceled due to a hurricane.
Jim
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This Choose-Your-Own-Misery volume is an interesting premise that launches you into a miserable holiday. When storms prevent you from being able to hang out on the beach with your best friend, do you want to spend it with your family? Or with your girlfriend's family?

Yikes!

Just keep in mind that:

"The shit that happens to you in this tome of endless, unavoidable misery is still your choice, on some fundamentally meaningless level. You are responsible because you choose, and frankly,
Chris devine
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I loved the choose your own adventure books when I was a kid, and now I love them as an adult thanks to this book. It's really hilarious, and you end up in really bizarre situations that usually don't end well. So far I've went out to chop a christmas tree, and ended up questioning my own sexuality with a bruised kidney, I've spent a night at a motel and ended up knocking out a diabetic with incontinence issues, and I've been robbed by my taxi driver in jamaica while I was on the toilet. I can't ...more
Conny
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, humor
I was a First Read Winner of this book and I really enjoyed it. If you ever wondered what would have happened if you did something different, then this book is for you. So many different outcomes to choices our main character makes, some funny, some cringeworthy and some a little unsettling, what a perfect read for the holidays, it might make you appreciate your family and holiday plans a bit more, though I would venture that one can enjoy it anytime of the year. Very original and I will have to ...more

• Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (Roger Rabbit, #1)
  • The Final Six (The Final Six, #1)
  • Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby
  • The Bitterwood Bible and Other Recountings
  • Perdido: A Fragment
  • The Spirit
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)
  • The Color of a Memory (The Color of Heaven, #5)
  • The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge
  • The Power (Twilight: Where Darkness Begins #2)
  • Death of a Pumpkin Carver (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #8)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Grave Markings
  • One More Last Time (The Good Guys, #1)
  • The Unicorn Whisperer (Phoebe and Her Unicorn Series Book 10)
  • Sins of the Blood
  • Halloween
Mike MacDonald is the co-author of the Choose Your Own Misery series. He spent four years as a contributing writer with America’s Finest News Source, The Onion while simultaneously working as a journalist at Canada’s largest newspaper chain, Postmedia News and Journalists for Human Rights.

Choose Your Own Misery (3 books)
  • The Office (Choose Your Own Misery #1)
  • Dating