Start by marking “Velvet, Vol. 3: The Man Who Stole the World” as Want to Read:
Velvet, Vol. 3: The Man Who Stole the World

Velvet, Vol. 3: The Man Who Stole the World

(Velvet, #3)

The strands of the mystery finally bring Velvet back home to the US, and to Washington, D.C. no less, for an explosive finale.

Collecting: Velvet 11-15
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published September 27th 2016 by Image Comics (first published September 21st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Velvet, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velvet, Vol. 3

Anne
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
If James Bond were a middle-aged woman, he'd be Velvet.

Somebody, please tell me this isn't the end of Brubaker's stories with this lady because the world needs more of this.

description

The Man Who Stole the World is the third and (hopefully not) final installation of the arc that started in volume one with Velvet discovering a conspiracy that pushed her out of the secretarial pool...and back into the spy game.
And ohmygod the conclusion was AWESOME!

description

A double (triple?) crossing lover, a rogue agent, a dead m
David Schaafsma
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for my library to get this in for me for many weeks, and here it is, and I read it in one breath. Why? Because it is one of the best comics out there. Do I say that a lot? Well, I hope not a lot, because this series really is among the best comics running. It is a spy thriller, with top secret agents, double crosses, car chases, all you'd expect. . . but so good, with such good Brubaker dialogue and plot control, and then, in this third volume that completes the first arc of ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2016
What if the Watergate burglaries were a cover-up for something more heinous? As Velvet nears the end of her search to uncover who framed her for the murder of her love Agent X-14, the trail takes her all the way to Nixon’s White House. To get the answers she needs, she’s gonna have to kidnap the President!

Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting’s brilliant spy series closes out its first arc strongly in The Man Who Stole the World. That said, I think this is my least favourite volume in the series despite
Kemper
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, spy-vs-spy, comics
Velvet comes to Washington D.C. as part of her effort to clear her name and expose the conspiracy that set her up. To do this she’ll need to blackmail Gerald Ford and kidnap Richard Nixon.

And I thought Jason Bourne was dangerous.

I gotta admit that I was a little let down by this one. Velvet is still an awesome character as a middle-aged lady spy kicking ass, and the artwork continues to be top notch as we see her get into a variety of situations that would make great action scenes in any blockb
Trish
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a blast!
I had to wait quite a while for the 3rd and (at least for some time) final volume of Velvet, the kick-ass female ex-agent that turned secretary after she had had to kill her own husband (or was he?) and couldn't get over it. But it was so worth it!

After the set-up in volume 1, she freed Damian Lake in volume 2 but got set up by him as well and has been trying to find some answers to this whole mess that started with the murder of agent x-14 all those years ago.

And what a ride this w
Jan Philipzig
Lots of style and intrigue, though I could not really get into the characters - which is unusual for a Brubaker story.
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: Review pending re-read. Collected review for volumes 1-3 can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....
Christopher
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's great, is what it is. Just like the first two volumes.

And perhaps most amazingly, this actually completes the story. Not in the standard, "we finished this arc, but started up another" way, but in a "wait... is this series complete?" way. I haven't looked up any news, but they haven't released any issues that aren't in this volume, so this is now the time to pick this series up if you haven't read it. You can actually read the whole thing instead of having to wait like the rest of us sad s
Steve
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really have no idea why it took me so long to read this final volume; it's been over a year since I read the first two books!

Great ending to a great series!
Sesana
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
From the first issue, this has been a fantastic spy thriller.
L. McCoy
Wow. Solid series it would seem!

What’s it about?
That I can’t say without spoilers so gonna skip that.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is still interesting. This comic will satisfy readers of thriller and this story very much fits the genre very well as it is thrilling!
The art is still amazing! One of the main things I like about this series is the art in fact.
The characters are still interesting and have quite a bit of depth. I think Velvet has more to her character than a lot of super spy characte
Dave
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Volume three is surprisingly the third part of the Velvet saga, a fantastic graphic novel espionage series. It features a former agent whose been on the sidelines for twenty years but who now has to find who stabbed her in the back and set her up. Dynamite 🧨 artwork. James Bond/Jason Bourne but an older female lead as Velvet, the super secret agent.
Max
Oct 18, 2016 added it
An excellent conclusion to the series.

What, you want more? Okay, fine: Velvet's third volume suffers a bit, in my opinion, from an (understandable) focus on unwinding the mystery rather than showing or transforming Velvet's character. On the one hand, great, a pat thriller ending! On the other hand, I feel like a little more work could have given us something more character driven and awe inspiring—compare, say, the end of Three Days of the Condor, or Brubaker's own Sleeper, or even the previou
Artemy
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
And it's done! The final (for now) volume of Velvet is finished, and it's still really good!
Now, I have to say, I feel that the ending was a bit underwhelming — so many twists and turns in the last couple of issues, it was a bit hard to follow. Still, the big reveal was unexpected, and the story was every bit as exciting to read as the rest of the series.
Steve Epting and Elizabeth Breitweiser on art and colours are still at the top of their game, creating gorgeous images on every single page of
Skip
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Good addition to the Velvet Templeton series, but not as good as first two volumes. Velvet Templeton has been laying low (outside of the country for several months), but returns to continue investigating the death of her husband, a key spy operative. Her investigation leads all the way to Dirty Dick Nixon's White House. Good time piece for a 1960's spy yarn. Exciting visuals, as always.
Mike
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
A very complex, satisfying, and overall, fierce ending for the Odyssey of Ms. Velvet Templeton.

Decidedly not a stand-alone volume, this is the third and final collection. The jacket blurb should be enough for the plot synopsis. I would add that the subtitle of this volume is highly apropos, the art stunning, and the historical references smart, true, and clear (or un-prove-able).
Roy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great conclusion to this spy story. The twists were great and I love the artwork. Kinda expected a big reveal but didnt shock me as much as I was hoping.
Eduardo
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What? The End? No, I wasn't aware this was it...for now. Look no further for the female version of James Bond, this book will do the trick for you. Brubaker manages to mix fact (a little) with fiction (a lot) to create one of the best spy graphic novels in recent history, and with a strong female character to boot.
Pick your poison of only 15 issues or 3 trades, with these numbers there's no pretext preventing you from getting into this magnificent series. Enough praises for that because this boo
David
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hollywood, take note: This would make an excellent movie. Trilogy. Series. Forget casting a woman for James Bond; Velvet is better than Bond.

I'm pretty sure I said that in my last review, too. My opinion hasn't changed.

If you're a fan of either A) kickass women; B) spy thrillers; C) stories with twists and turns galore; or D) all of the above, you owe it to yourself to pick up Volumes 1 and 2, and then wait anxiously until Volume 3 comes out. Or do what I did, and get the individual issues.

You'r
Morgan
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic
I liked how everything in this volume played out to the end. I'm not sure if this is the final volume, but the way it ends makes it seems like Velvet is taking a "brake." I still think this book didn't get enough attention. This and Brubaker's Fade Out were phenomenal series. I highly recommend them both.
Sonic
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
My reviews are subjective. It is super obvious to me in this case.
I Loved the first two volumes of this series, and I did like this one too, but I must admit that I just did not give this one the attention that it deserves, ... so,

ignore this review.

Renee
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
GAH I LOVE VELVET TEMPLETON. Here's to the baddest spy around -- she's the coolest cucumber and the quickest draw, so tell her what she wants to know or pay the price! Fast-paced conclusion to a series that didn't disappoint, not once; great art, great characters, great story. Ed Brubaker and company just schooled all of y'all comic book creators on how it's done.
BOOM!
*drops mike
Wing Kee
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Well written but cliches aplenty makes this finale only okay.

World: The art is absolutely fantastic, the tone and the colours and the world it creates through the art is stylish and appealing. The world building here is solid, there are ties to history here and the pieces that we see with all the spies and cloak and dagger stuff is interesting, the most interesting part of the book is found here.

Story: The story is written and paced well, the dialog is on point and good too. The story moves alon
Ylenia
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I was expecting something more from this last volume.

The art + colors were still the best things about this series & the intricate plot left me a bit confused at times because it was basically plot-twists-fuck-fest so I recommend reading all the volumes back to back.
Adriana
A fantastic (if rather obvious) wrap-up to a great spy caper.
Ariadna
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superb conclusion to a fascinating yarn about spies. It deffo shows why Brubaker is such a great author. There's legit nothing I didn't love about this volume.

YES, READ IT!
Rob McMonigal
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
This rating is entirely based on Epting and Breitweiser art, because the story let me down in a big way. After working so hard to create a great plot, Brubaker leads us down a historical alley, making the whole thing about how a life can be destroyed just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's not a *bad* plot choice, but it really left me cold, because it could have been done without inserting historical figures.

Still, Velvet is a fun character I'd like to see more of, as she ref
Craig
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked it, though not as much perhaps as previous volumes in this series. The whole story got so convoluted, it was a bit hard to remember who was who and what was what (a problem I never ran into in Brubaker's similar Sleeper series). The Watergate break-in is drawn into the story, and Velvet has run-ins with both President Nixon and Vice President Ford in this one. The artwork is, as usual, very good (though I can't help but feel that artist Epting is trying to ape Brubaker's frequent collabo ...more
Elizabeth A
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, graphix
See my review of this trilogy here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Cyndi
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All of my wows and yeses! Fantastic finale to a well plotted, well drawn, well told tale! Remember y'all hell hath no fury!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lazarus, Vol. 5: Cull
  • East of West, Vol. 6
  • Scalped, Vol. 9: Knuckle Up (Scalped, #9)
  • MIND MGMT, Volume Six: The Immortals
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 3: Cemetery Songs
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Velvet, (3 books)