Start by marking “The Silvers” as Want to Read:

The Silvers

What humans want from the Silver Planet is water. What they find is a race of humanoids who are sentient, but as emotionless and serene as the plants and placid lakes they tend. B, captain of the mission, doesn't believe that the "Silvers" are intelligent, and lets his crew experiment on them. But then he bonds with Imms, who seems different from the others-interested in l ...more
Paperback, 2nd edition, 312 pages
Published July 11th 2016 by Riptide Publishing (first published February 16th 2014)

Julio Genao
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: Lisa Henry
Shelves: loved
“a silver’s heart drifts through its body, bumping softly against walls and other organs. sometimes it’s illuminated, and you can see it beneath the bruised skin, floating along like a lantern underwater.”

description

and just like that, i knew the hand at the tiller was sure.

this book is amazing.

so much subtle craft in the characterization i was left gobsmacked in admiration.

an alien behaving more humanely than a human is no novelty—but here, smith manages the ridiculously difficult feat of writing every ch
Julio Genao
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved

description

and just like that, i knew the hand at the tiller was sure.

this book is amazing.

an alien behaving more humanely than a human is no novelty—but here, rock manages the ridiculously difficult feat of writing every cha
Sheziss
It could have been but it wasn’t.

I can’t really decide what to think about this book.

This novel is depressing. It’s grey. It’s full of those inexplicable gaps experimental movies from the 60-70s had in order to show off their supposed intellectuality and fanciness. Those movies that usually end up making you roll your eyes with all that enormous effort to give that façade an philosophical and existential background that explains it all when indeed it’s not that profound. Moments and scenes throw
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I have incredibly mixed emotions about this book. While I read the story quickly and thought that it was well-written, I can't say that I truly enjoyed the book. I had a lot of issues with it, which I'll try to fully explain.

If you are looking for a romance, I don't think you'll find it here. There is a love story... sort of... in the context of a sci-fi book, but the love story was almost painful for me to read. Imms, the Silver character, and B, one of the astronauts, end up in a relationship
Xing
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Re-read on 12/11/2015
I don't do much rereading in general. Mostly because I'm always looking for the next great read, which won't happen if I keep digging into the past. But my revisit to The Silvers was a reminder that the next great read can be something you've already read before. Something to re-experience.

I love this book to death.

But upon my second read, I noticed how unconventional the relationship is (and I'm not just talking about interspecies romance). I think we get caught up in all t
Alexis Hall
Originally reviewed for The Prism Book Alliance - full review o'er here.

Extra note: I GAVE IT ALL THE STARS. YOU SHOULD READ THIS.

A Silver’s heart drifts through its body, bumping softly against walls and other organs. Sometimes it’s illuminated, and you can see it beneath the bruised skin, floating along like a lantern underwater.

I’m going to start this review by saying simply: you should read this book. As in the right the heck now. Go.

While technically queer SF rather than m/m romance, The Si
Sofia
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

A different, hang on tight read.

A thoughtful reflection of us with all that that entails.

Shades of Grey vs Colour
Quiet vs Noise
Calm vs Emotions
Alone vs Love, family, togetherness
Openess vs Hidden

The juxtaposition presented by The Silvers and humans continues throughout the book, showcasing what being human means. What freedoms we give up to enter the cage of togetherness, where might is most often right. How our idols turn out to have feet of clay and how we are all in the same boat, all flounde
Mel
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that you could spend ages thinking about, talking about... WOW! This was awesome!

A Silver's heart drifts through its body, bumping softly against walls and other organs. Sometimes it's illuminated, and you can see it beneath the bruised skin, floating along like a lantern underwater.

Silvers go into the ground and into lakes. They avoid danger. They run from humans. They are fast, good at vanishing, at closing their eyes, at pretending there is no danger.

On the Silver Pla
Irina
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My mum always said that kids are so pure and unpolluted by lies and deception that you can read every emotion on their faces like an open book. They are innocent, honest, trusting and unconditional. They are like a clean sheet of paper that gets filled up slowly. That's Imms. But he is not a child. He is a Silver.

He was born on the Silver Planet, where people resemble humans in their looks but are void of many vital human emotions, such as anger, jealousy, grief, love. Their life is simple unde
Maya
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

”He wants to reach into that Silver body, grab the floating heart, and hold it in place. He wants to find what’s buried. You can’t be alive and never heave with rage or loathing, never be stung a thousand places by jealousy. Roach[Imms] is an impossibility. B wants to make him possible.”

So many good quotes to pick from, I re-read at least half of the chapters trying to choose one and re-living the emotions the words in this book gave me.

It’s not perfect – I found it much easier to connect wit
Wart Hill
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

I have yet to be disappointed by a JA Rock novel. Like. Hot damn this was absolutely amazing.

In search of a new water source for Earth, B and his crew discover an Alien race, the Silvers. Silvers are similar to humans, except they do not seem to feel anger or hate. While preparing to study some in their ships lab, B discovers a Silver who has been hurt by another member of his crew. Instead of using this Silver as any easy test subje
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
This is my kind of sci-fi. Though, is that what this is? This one defies categorization while simultaneously filling many. Sort of like us human types. This is a running theme, both in the book and this review.

Anything identified as alien is only done so because it’s specifically not of our earth. Otherwise, any physical characteristics, creature and planet both, are highly relatable. Emotional. This is another running theme in this book and this review. I mean, Imms, he may be an alien but ever
Jax
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, sci-fi
Takes the classic sci-fi premise of a simple, innocent alien altered by contact with humans and makes it fresh and new and so heart wrenching. My gut was tied in knots through the whole thing!

The book takes a close look at the casual cruelty of humans – some horrific acts, but also things we don’t even think about because it’s just the norm for us. In this case, becoming more human is definitely not a good thing.

Then, too, there’s the turmoil between B and Imms as they alternately pull each oth
Paul
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 INCREDIBLE STARS and my brain hurts, yet I want more
This book is so multifaceted and also filled with such diversity at the same time, I simply couldn't put it down, let alone even begin to review it because I can't. The multitude of situations and cerebral concepts involved simultaneously has my head spinning. It was an incredible read.
It is sci-fi, but in saying that it psychologically reverses the tables back on us as a race and makes us stare at the brutal truth of who and what we really
Bookwatcher
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Lola
Love it
Love everything, plot, the alien specie (sooo original!), the sweet romance... I love everything, but the cover.
So, yes, it's one remarkable book, read it... And you will see.

Imms and B... What a wonderful couple!
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
 photo alone-in-a-crowd_zps1oevfbvd.jpg

He came here to avoid Alone, but Alone is under his skin and branches through all of him.

This book is a study in contrasts. Beauty contrasted with ugliness. Kindness contrasted with cruelty. Selfishness contrasted with benevolence.

There were things I enjoyed and things I hated and more often than not I felt melancholy while reading it. Rock's critique of humanity is harsh and discommodious. She's turned a mirror on contemporary society and revealed the dark underbelly, the places that none of
Lila
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: sci-fi, mm

Absolutely amazing.

One of those alien stories that are actually telling more about humans; with subtle messages under the surface of bare plot; kind of book that makes you think.
It's not a romance, but there is love in several different forms.
It's not really science fiction; but it is speculative.
Reminiscent to Stranger in a Strange Land and maybe even The Word for World is Forest in some parts, but social commentary is not so overt. It actually made me look for my paperbacks.

And while this kind
M'rella
This is a very depressing read. Not dark and depressing. Dark hides things: colorful things, black things, grey things, white things, scary things, pretty things, monster things, unicorns, spice worms and who knows what else. This? This is just grey. Everything's the same color. Even human emotions seem grey and bland, the whole planet Earth is colorless, "I don't give a shit" place. Like I said, grey and depressing. In my opinion.

I get now why the book is written in Present Tense. Silvers live
Dαɴιjα

The Silvers isn't the type of book I usually read. Had it not been written by J.A. Rock, I probably never would have read it. That would've been my loss because like everything else I've read by this author, this book was incredible. I was once again blown away. This was my fifth J.A. Rock book, and I am amazed by how differently written they were, and how each time it was perfect for the main characters.

Some of Rock's books were so much fun to read, and some were more serious and emotional. Th
Laxmama
I received an ARC NET-GALLEY. This is a MUST READ! What a beautiful, fascinating and thought provoking story. The writing was so well done I have endless quotes that I were so razor sharp. Although this is said to be a sci-fi book, it did not feel that way.

This story is a heartbreaking view at a range of human emotions, relationships, loneliness and isolation. I loved the M/C Imms, he was vulnerable, selfless, daring naive and brave. Hearing his perspective is funny, bittersweet and painful. It
Ulysses Dietz
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

By Jill Smith

Four stars

I am not a big reader of sci-fi stuff, but this came highly recommended to me, and I took it with me on vacation. It is a remarkable book, lyrical and literal in the same breath.

“The Silvers” is not, ultimately, a story about aliens. It is, rather, a profound and moving analysis of what it is to be human.

With aliens.

Or, actually, with one particular alien, known as Imms, who has the misfortune to fall in love with a human spaceship captain who we only know as
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
This book was freaking amazing, SPECIAL, in a class by itself, transcends genre. Complete review to follow, hopefully sometime soon. In the meantime, read the one Alexis Hall did over at Prism Book Alliance, wonderful review, as always, & it's what prompted me to read this book & I'm so glad I did!
Niki
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this practically in one go and at the last line I found myself somewhat sad and empty because it was the end. I have become so attached to the Silver named Imms that it was hard to let this alien character go. There is a profound message here even if it is not new. The scifi plot of how an innocent and simple minded alien is "polluted" by men has been done before but the way it is told here is deeply moving and emotionally searing. The story started in the alien planet and this first ...more
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(I received a free copy of this book from Bold Strokes Books, through NetGalley, in return for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Ideally, I'd give this book 4.5 stars, but since I can't give half stars...

This was a book I particularly wanted to read. The blurb sounded really interesting and the cover really attracted me.

The plot of the story managed to keep me reading and I really did like the romance that developed between Imms and B. I thought the author did a really good job of sho
Alisa
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: misc, netgalley
his was a unique sci fi story. A bit different than anything I've read before. Humans have gone to the Silver Planet to look for water. They find native people and they are so placid that the human crew does not think they are intelligent and they justify that as a reason it's alright to experiment on them. B is the captain of his spaceship and over time he begins bonding with one of the Silvers, Imms. After a fire kills of most of his crew, B decides to take Imms and return to Earth. Once there ...more
M
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could basically have been about anything and it would still have been amazing. The writing was some of the most beautiful I've read in a long time. The prose is spare but also weirdly rich and evocative.
As a science fiction novel, it's not too weird a concept, but it is one of the stranger executions. Humans find intelligent life on another planet and bring back an alien who then lives in weird a domestic arrangement with his human lover. There's lot of absolutely mundane earth things
Carol
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
So fucking beautiful, could not stop reading. The characters felt real, the SF story and the world-building was so fascinating, the language so poetic. And it did not even need much hot gay sex to keep me interested. I loved it.
Joeyr
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-list, mm-fic
Well done, really nice world building and an outstanding alien character. Who could help going a bit native?
Amy Cousins
GORGEOUS. Please disregard the cover. Seriously. It's frustrating me to no end, knowing that there are people who won't pick up this book, because of that cover. The writing is gorgeous, spare and haunting. It's goddamn poetry on the page. This book makes me uncomfortable all the time, with worry and guilt and the fear that humanity isn't as good, on a basic level, as I generally believe it is.

I'm at 60% and reading slowly, because it's too beautiful to finish in a hurry, which is what I would n
Maarja
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This sci-fi book is written really well, but at least for me, it was extremely difficult to read.
The story it tells is kind of similar to Stranger in a Strange Land. A human space expedition has found an intelligent humanoid species on another planet (Silvers), but their emotional balance is different from humans - they have almost no negative emotions and are very peaceful. Of course, they need to be thoroughly studied, and one of them is brought back to Earth. The book is the story of that Sil
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: The Silvers by Jill Smith 2 26 Sep 20, 2014 04:15PM
  • Meatworks
  • Song of the Navigator
  • Line and Orbit (Root Code, #1)
  • The Grand Ballast
  • Storms and Stars
  • Freedom
  • Chaos Station (Chaos Station, #1)
  • Salvaging Toby's Heart
  • There Will Be Phlogiston (Prosperity, #5)
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Wireless
  • Vassily the Beautiful (The ESTO Universe)
  • Bone Rider
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • Stealing Innocents
  • In Heaven and Earth
  • Incursion
  • King of Dublin
Jill Smith grew up in Sandusky, Ohio. She holds an MFA in creative writing from the University of Alabama and a BA in theater arts from Case Western Reserve University. Jill currently lives in Chicago.