Start by marking “Garage Band: Nothing to do with Music. Everything to do with Getting Even” as Want to Read:
Garage Band: Nothing to do with Music. Everything to do with Getting Even

Garage Band: Nothing to do with Music. Everything to do with Getting Even

Nothing to do with music. Everything to do with getting even. Lanthus Trilby lived an ordinary life, in an ordinary house with an ordinary family. Well, perhaps not so ordinary considering he was married to Felicity, but that's not the point. He worked an ordinary job at a big insurance company. But all that changed when Lanthus was retrenched without warning. They say ...more
Published March 13th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Garage Band, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garage Band

Start your review of Garage Band: Nothing to do with Music. Everything to do with Getting Even
Andrew
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now we’re talking! A dose of Robert P. Parker, a shot of Carl Hiaasen, and a smidgeon of Donald E. Westlake, all mixed in a shaker called South Africa.
South Africa has produced some fantastic crime writers, but has been sorely lacking in what I call “West Coast” crime – books seated in crime, but on a chair of humour.

Eccentric and quirky characters, including an actuary, a female cage fighter and a husband-and-wife acrobat team, populate a story that moves as quickly as a Hollywood blockbuster.
Robyn
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 Stars

I received this book in an online competition and am THRILLED to have it as part of my collection now.

The Book
Lanthus Trilby is an actuary at an insurance company, a husband and father to an uninterested and unappreciative family and living under the shadow of a far more successful brother in law, which his wife Felicity never hesitates to remind him about. He's given 17 years of his life to his job, so when the a**holes retrench him, he is less than impressed, in fact he's down right
Janice
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Rabinowitz presents us with a raw, gutsy and thoroughly entertaining caper, carried out by the most unlikely protagonist. Lanthus Trilby, our hero, represents Everyman: every man (and of course, when I say man, I mean woman too) who has ever been put down, belittled, demeaned, ignored and unappreciated.
Over the last 17 years, Trilby has loyally worked for South Africa’s largest insurance company, Eastland. He has given them his all without question, day in, day out, (and some nights too)
Mary
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revenge is sweet. There is nothing sweeter than the taste of revenge against a large insurance company that has wronged you, especially if you are one of their own employees.

Lanthus Trilby was such an employee. For seventeen years, he was a dedicated employee, rarely missing a day of work, keeping a low profile, always complying to the tasks given to him. Lanthus, husband to a complacent wife, and father of two teenagers full of angst has reached his limit when the company that he has dedicated
Chantelle J
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Rabinowitz brings us the compelling story of an ordinary man, living an average uneventful existence with his equally uninteresting family, whose world is completely turned upside down when his employer of 17 years unceremoniously dismisses him. What follows is a plan for revenge that is unpredictable, gripping, extremely entertaining and humorous. The suspense will keep you glued to the pages as this dull man’s path crosses with an explosive expert, a hacker, a female cage fighter and ...more
Neville Howson
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fathers day was just about to be a non-event for Lanthus Trilby, who woke up to no smiling faces, no father's day cards and no presents. Instead his wife Felicity had lovingly prepared a Father's day lunch for her father Steve and her brother Arthur, a good looking, wealthy successful businessman, the polar opposite to Lanthus.
And so began a day in the life of Lanthus Trilby, a hard working, middle class husband and father who finds himself at the precipice, his world about to spiral out of
Vera Smith
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rabinowitz serves up an intriguing tale of revenge,following Lanthus Trilby on his journey from colourless subservient actuary, to the powerful instigator of of a successful coup to render an upmarket shopping centre inoperable. Aided by a "band" of specially selected partners, rabinowitz adds in a couple of computer hackers, an explosives expert, and they're ready to hold an insurance company to ransom. Quirky side plots bring in a female cage fighter, followed by a couple of acrobats, plus of ...more
Colin Van Rensburg
This is a great read, set in Sandton, South Africa, the Hub of the African Economy. The author has managed to create a nail-biting, suspense crime-caper with real characters, real drama and real danger, but avoiding the trap of clichés pertaining to the crime and political hot pot that is so obviously known to locals in South Africa. An ordinary blue collar, overworked and underpaid Lanthus Trilby is someone we can all identify with. Revenge is his dish, no matter how it is served. There are ...more
Rebekka Steg
I was contacted by the author who apparently had liked some of my Amazon reviews and thought I would enjoy this book. I have no idea why. Not only is it poorly written, it is one of the most sexist pieces of garbage that I've ever read. In the end I only read the first 10% of the book and the last chapter (to see if there might be some redemption towards the end. There wasn't.). This is a book oozing of white, middle-age, male privilege and entitlement and I'd encourage you to stay far far away ...more
Teri G
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book by Adam Rabinowitz. It kind of reminded me of The Sting and The Italian Job. Dark humor, outrageous characters and a plan of revenge that achieved far more than originally hoped for. I loved the pacing and the plot line. This is a sexy, action-filled, humorous and mind consuming tale. I read it straight through, that is how much it intrigued me. I received this ARC for an honest review, and I can give that review with great pleasure. I look forward to more from the talented mind ...more
Ruth Hamilton
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of what can happen when you push a "nobody" too far. This book has everything - revenge, relationships, crime, good guys, bad guys, hackers and real life, all with a South African twist. The wide range of characters in this fast-paced novel are strong and interesting, the narrative detailed and the plot altogether believable. Worth a read, especially if you are a fan of crime fiction.
Martie Geertsema
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked reading Rabinowitz's Garage Band! What a fun, easy route to escapism! It's well written, is set up beautifully, hooks the reader and does not disappoint towards the end. Garage Band is in the same vein as The Italian Job, but being set in the richest square mile in Africa gives it a unique flavour and makes it very 'now'. I can already see the movie credits rolling to this action packed, meticulously planned story.
Ruth Brookes
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Rabinowitz's attention to detail puts the reader squarely in the heart of the action and the plot line absorbs one right from the opening chapter. I loved the fact that it was set in South Africa, and in particular, Johannesburg. His descriptions of the local area was so on point you were able to picture yourself right there. A great read for those looking for a quick escape from reality.
Charlene Olivier
Thrilling, exciting, very cleverly plotted with lots of laughs and tension throughout. The story keeps you guessing all the way through and you will never guess how it ends. Lots of reminders of South Africa and its culture in the book. Extremely diverse crew and yet you somehow associate with their intentions and passion behind it. Truly a brilliant, gripping read!
Lynette
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Garage Band is a page turner that will keep you reading late into the night! The protagonist is an unlikely hero that the reader will immediately identify with. The plot is detail orientated and well thought through, with twists that the reader will not see coming! This feel-good adventure has universal appeal and is highly recommended.
Adrian Holm
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Rabinowitz has delivered a fantastic read which kept me riveted from start to finish. Set close to home, I completely related to the characters, and will view the locations with a new perspective. Thoroughly enjoyable, with well-timed off-beat humor that broke up the tension nicely.
Highly recommend Garage Band.
Darice Loeb
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Garage Band is one of those books that you don't want to end but can't wait to get to the end to see how the plot plays itself out. The characters are real and the descriptive writing makes you feel that you are part of the adventure. Well done to the author Adam Rabinowitz. A great read and highly recommended.
Chezre
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Rabinowitz's third novel is a light-hearted revenge tale which appeases the inner revenge-seeker in us all.
Filled with absurd yet relatable characters, dark humour and nail-biting moments, Garage Band is a thrill ride from beginning to end.
I recommend this book to everyone and look forward to the next tale from the talented mind of Adam Rabinowitz.
Happy reading!
Adri Zaayman
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Garage Band succeeds in delivering an entertaining, and delightfully South African take on a caper that is clever enough to keep you interested and surprised throughout without inducing headache. I found myself rooting for the unlikely heroes throughout, and was still grinning when I turned the last page.
Bridgette Bartsch
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read with interesting characters. Being a South African and having a story based on Sandton and surrounds, the images are rich and resonate to those who know this city. I could relate to the characters although a tad stereotyped. A fun, easy to read and enjoyable book.
Arlene Zlotnick
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was a very good read didn't want to out it down. Had twists and turns in that I was not expecting well written
Rebecca
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Lisa Flanders
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
when I am reading a book I love to picture the scenario and with this book it was so easy! Thrilling and exciting. As they say in the classics, Revenge is Sweet!!

Great work Adam!
Tracy GB
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garage Band is a roller coaster ride from start to finish. Set in Sandton, South Africa it was a delight to be able to picture exactly where all the action was taking place.
Adam Rabinowitz brings all the characters to life, and one can almost sympathize with the reasoning behind the need for revenge.
The book is fast paced, with many twists in the tale.
A thoroughly enjoyable read which will keep you on the edge of your seat.
This book would make a great action movie.
Rob Whitlock
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garage Band is a great tongue in cheek, largely cyber, thriller rather than a comedy thriller. Although some of the scenes are purposefully exaggerated the plot is believable and scarily possible - perhaps rally at such at such a large scale in real life and probably with more restraint! The plot is well crafted and has the reader guessing to the last page!
Gugu Mowelazi
The book starts slow but once you get with Lanthus' plan you just can put it down. If you're into Guy Ritchie movies, this might just be the book for you.
I'm just not a fan of the style of writing but the story makes up for it.
Alan Menachemson
One of the very best South African novels ever...long on plot....descriptive and fun....read it
Claire Bennett
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not my usual read at all & I came across it looking for another book. I loved this book & really routed for Lanthus throughout. The ending was brilliant.......way to go Lanthus!
Darice Loeb
Mar 30, 2016
Franki Jean
Apr 01, 2016
Garage Band at the London Book Fair 1 3 Mar 18, 2016 06:51AM
I love writing because for just a few precious hours, I get to make you laugh, smile, sit glued to the edge of your seat, and even cry. I've even made my wife call my mother to complain about the way I ended one of my books on a cliffhanger. I get to entertain you in the world I've created just for you. And if you put down one of my books after you've read the last words and smile, wishing there ...more