Start by marking “Tales of a Magic Monastery” as Want to Read:
Tales of a Magic Monastery

Tales of a Magic Monastery

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Here, the charming, mature stories from the internationallly beloved monk are accompanied by original art. Like the parables of Jesus, these tales repeatedly unfold new levels of meaning if we are willing to sit with them.
Published February 25th 1981 by The Crossroad Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Tales of a Magic Monastery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of a Magic Monastery

booklady
Tales of A Magic Monastery is one of those books you can read cover-to-cover, or just read one short 'story'. It can be read to and by 'children' of all ages but understood only by the heart. Although it's possible to link some of the vignettes to Gospel parables, if one tries to do that, so much beauty will be lost, as will much of the wisdom I expect. Just read it...with an open and loving heart.
Miriam
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I'm not positive whether I'm the wrong audience or in the wrong mood or these very short "stories" are obvious and dumb.
Matt
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Read this book after the sad passing of my old pastor, Father William Bovard. He was a great man and this was one of his favorite books to use in his homilies.

It's puzzling and Zen-ish and probably will require much study to understand. But I'm glad I have a copy and I'm glad to keep it on my shelf in tribute to Father Bovard. He was a great man.
Miss Clark
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-bog
Incredibly weak little snippets.
Nate
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Funny, perceptive, and perplexing parables about a fantastical monastery. Almost dream-like, as if Salman Rushdie were to try to write parables for a desert father. Some made absolutely no sense until I read and thought about them over and over again. Others were a bit easier to digest. Nice to have something that wasn't too trite. Cool illustrations, too. A couple favorite:

The Mountain of Decision

"How long have you been a monk?" I asked.
"A real monk? Not long. It took me fifty years to get up t
[Name Redacted]
A collection of weak, cliched, tiresome little prose-poems which are very much a product of their time. They lack the coherence and the simplicity of zen koans, as well as the strength and poignancy of the New Testament, and wind up offensive both to the intellect and the spirit. Poor writing and superficial thoughts, though the drawings are themselves quite charming -- that's the only reason I gave it even a single star.
Dan Robinson
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love quotes and short stories. This book is composed of very short tales, all "true" by a real monk. The tales are lovely and spiritually true. A friend who thought that I would like it loaned it to me. The tales illustrate how some of the spiritual truths that we have all heard can be fully assimilated into a real live person's perspective on life, meaning, relationship. Wonderful!
Nancy
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves
I love this little book! I am so happy to see it listed here on GoodReads! I don't know anyone else who has read this book!

One-pager stories that make you think! Most stories simply pose questions.

I pull it off my shelf regularly and just read a story to mull over during the day!

Love it.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
inspiring.
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These parables are short, charming, and witty, but lend themselves to hours of meditation.
Robin
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, though sometimes a bit obscure. Will re-read in the future.
Allie Heemstra
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, thought provoking, catches-you-off-guard humor collection of short stories.
Juliette
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A sweet book of spiritual journeys, thoughts, questions, that starts your spirit and mind on a journey and where you end is up to you.
James (Jimmie) Price
May 19, 2018
Doris
Jul 06, 2017
Sean Evans
Tales of A Magic Monastery (Tales Magic Monastry Ppr) by The M Theophane (1981)
Cooper Moo