Start by marking “Second Foundation (Foundation #3)” as Want to Read:
Second Foundation (Foundation #3)

Second Foundation (Foundation (Publication Order) #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  113,380 Ratings  ·  1,915 Reviews
So far the Foundation was safe. But there was a hidden Second Foundation to protect the first. The Mule has yet to find it, but he was getting closer all the time. The men of the Foundation sought it, too, to escape from Mule's mind control. Only Arkady, a 14 year-old girl seemed to have the answer, or did she...?
Published June 1st 2004 by Bantam Spectra (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Second Foundation, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Connor Fahs It wasn't threatened, the First Foundation didn't want the Second Foundation to become the upper class in the Second Empire and the First Foundation…moreIt wasn't threatened, the First Foundation didn't want the Second Foundation to become the upper class in the Second Empire and the First Foundation what to be free of the Second Foundation's mental influence.(less)
Charles Brown There is only a brief answer. After the Mule died, Han was put in charge, but he didn't have the Mule's mental powers and everybody rebelled.…moreThere is only a brief answer. After the Mule died, Han was put in charge, but he didn't have the Mule's mental powers and everybody rebelled. Presumably Han was still under the Mule's spell and nobody could cure him of it. Mr. Munn tells Arkady about this while they are on Kalgan.(less)

Sanjay Gautam
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great completion of the trilogy! This book, the last part of Foundation trilogy, was very captivating from the start and became even more interesting and enthralling leading to a great spellbinding climax. This trilogy has now entered to my all time favorite books. It has been a great experience reading Isaac Asimov.
Luca Ambrosino
English (Second Foundation) / Italiano

«The First Galactic Empire had endured for tens of thousands of years»
But now it no longer exists. The present is the Foundation, at war with an enemy with a terrible "psychic" power, i.e. the ability to influence the minds. The third chapter of the Foundation series is better than the two preceding it, with more action and suspense. It's the final showdown between the "Mule" and the Second Foundation, represented in the final battle by its "First Speaker".
mark monday
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
And so you take comfort in what once used to chafe and to frustrate: the man is smarter than you. Hari Seldon. At first you fought against his implacable logic, his elegant design mapping out the entire existence of your race, the human kind. But eventually you relaxed and embraced it: you and yours, your dreams, the human race... your goals and your future would be protected, protected by the plan. The Seldon Plan - and Foundation. And when Foundation and the Plan both suffered at the hands of ...more
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Second Foundation wraps up Asimov’s brilliant early 50s classic SF series Foundation.

Twenty-nine years later (in 1982) Asimov would publish Foundation's Edge, but for most of the golden age, the Foundation trilogy would form a template (though never completely duplicated) for SF excellence.

Essentially divided into two parts – the first part a conclusion of Foundation and Empire with The Mule and then the conclusion of the Foundation story. The search for the ultra-secretive Second Foundation co
Ahmad Sharabiani
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
527. Second Foundation (Foundation, #3), Isaac Asimov
Second Foundation is the third novel published of the Foundation Series by American writer Isaac Asimov, and the fifth in the in-universe chronology. It was first published in 1953 by Gnome Press.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و پنجم ماه دسامبر سال 1994 میلادی
عنوان: سقوط امپراطوری کهکشانها (بنیاد دوم)؛ نوشته: آیزاک آسیموف؛ مترجم: حسن اصغری؛ تهران، شقایق، 1371؛ در 358 ص
ا. شربیانی
Davyne DeSye
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous conclusion to the original trilogy!

In the first book, we see the rise of the Foundation – the kernel of civilization around which the Second Galactic Empire will eventually rise after the fall of the First Galactic Empire… a foundation established for precisely that reason by the inestimable Hari Seldon, who – through his mathematics – can predict the future.

In the second book, we see Seldon’s Plan shattered by the unexpected rise of a conqueror with mutant mental powers (the
Simona Bartolotta
The book alone, I probably would have rated 3 stars out of 5, but I just noticed I rated 3 stars also the first two books in the trilogy, which baffles me because when I think of the Foundation trilogy, I do not think 3 stars. It seemed appropriate, therefore, to up the average rating of the series with this last chapter.

“Every human being lived behind an impenetrable wall of choking mist within which no other but he existed.”

What I loved about this particular instalment, and a thing that is qui
Trish
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book concludes the original tale of the Foundation and it is a worthy ending.

Like the second book, this had not several shorter stories forming a mosaic to introduce the reader to the galaxy as had the first, but had only two parts:
- Search by the Mule
- Search by the Foundation

The first part resumes the tale where it had left off at the end of the second book: the Mule is still ruling the galaxy after having beaten the Foundation and is more powerful than ever. He knows however that there i
Apatt
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Was his controlled mind so concerned with obedience as to lose initiative? He felt a thickening despondency drive him down into a strange lassitude.”
Poor Captain Han Pritcher. Mind control is a common sci-fi trope but the feelings or thoughts of the person under control are rarely explored. This is what makes Part 1 of Second Foundation so special. As I mentioned in my review of Foundation and Empire The Mule is a terrific villain, clever and ruthless but no exactly evil and a little pitiful
Ian
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
The idea behind it's pretty good. Asimov has set up little philosopher kings to slowly shape the universe until they can accept being openly ruled by beings as superior as them, because of SCIENCE! It never actually handles the philosophical issues involved, but notes that they exist. Meanwhile, the plot is such:

Man1: Haha! I tricked you!
Man2: But I knew you were going to trick me. Instead, I tricked you!
Man1: But I knew you knew that I was going to trick you, so really *I* win!
Man2: NO! *dies*
Markus
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, science-fiction
Second Foundation is a decent enough conclusion to the original Foundation trilogy, although it was by far the weakest book in the trilogy in my eyes.

The problem is that whereas the first book, despite its own flaws, is both intriguing and original, both the second and third volumes focus on deviation from, and restoration of, the psychohistorical master plan of Hari Seldon. The whole story of the Mule feels quite pointless and could be considered the weakest point of Asimov's ideas. Both the se
Bradley
I'm still amazed at how well this and the other two books in the trilogy holds up. It's easy to let little things go like all the focus on Atomic Reactors when they've still got FTL. We could replace one technology with another and still have the same core story shine.

And it really shines.

Yes, SF has had tons of telepathic SOBs, but I still count the Mule as one of the most savvy and intelligent dictators to ever topple a galactic empire. The first half of this book deals entirely with him and h
Adrian
Like the other Foundation novels I have read this book (non GR or pre GR) many times since the wonderful fist reading in the 70s. Do I enjoy it every time ? Yes of course, otherwise I wouldn't re-read. Do I enjoy as much or more, hmm, difficult, in some ways no, its not new to me, but in some ways yes, because I get more every time, and I realise every time what an amazing author Asimov was.
So I have just finished it for 2017 as part of the Foundation (7 book version) series read for SF Aficiona
Denisse
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Science Fiction hardcore fans. Foundation hardcore fans
A book divided in two parts again, it can be read as two novellas instead of one book. I actually see it that way. A great conclusion with the fluent and smart writing the trilogy has had so far but a bit more focus on answers. Not as philosophical as the previews but far more dynamic. The trilogy in general is the perfect definition of well-plotted. Fast and interesting, perfectly exposed and detailed, intriguing and exciting. Second Foundation can be called an original ending even after all th ...more
Jamie
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is often cited amongst the nerdegalian as the best sci-fi series evar. It's set, as you may guess, far into the future where a man discovers that Rome ...uh, I mean The Galactic Empire is fated to collapse and bring about 30,000 years of barbarism unless certain actions are taken to start a long chain of events, the first of which is to create a kind of galactic Wikipedia. I'm not normally a fan of hard science fiction, and reading this trilogy kind of reminds me ...more
Jason
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Intergalactic chess game - shall the Seldon Plan unravel, leaving the galaxy to savagery and digression or shall carefully laid undertakings based on probabilities save the galaxy from such a fate, and if so at what cost?

This, the third of the series, was simply comprised of a better story than it's predecessors. It still had that intelligent tilt, but it also fleshed out the characters and concealed the twists in plot in a much more satisfactory way. This was a page turner and by the end I felt
Patrick
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great ending to a great series!! I was very satisfied with the ending. I can’t wait to read the other books Asimov wrote later in his life about Foundation.
Farhana Sufi
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Barışcan Bozkurt
Üç Vakıf romanı arasından en iyi olay örgüsüne sahip, ince ince işlendiğini hissettiren bir romandı. Fakat karakter olarak yine zayıf buldum. Bu da hikayedeki kırılma noktalarında duygusal anlamda etkilenmeme engel oldu. Yine isterdim ki detaylıca bir uzay savaşı okumak, üstünede gezegenlerdeki politikalara dair derinlere inmek fakat bunlarda çok üstün körü geçiliyor. Hatta ilk iki kitaba kıyasla bu konuda en zayıf olanın bu roman olduğunu söyleyebilirim. Ama bu elbette kötü yapmıyor, sadece ben ...more
Cavanşir Gadimov
Asimov'un Vakıf Üçlemesi'nin son kitabı, ancak Vakıf serisinin son kitabı değil. Çünkü üçlemeden yıllar sonra Asimov seriye dört kitap daha eklemiştir. Bu kitap Asimov'un Vakıf galaksisi ile ilgili yeni ufuklar açıyor. Klasikleşmi bir bilim kurgu kitabı.

Kitapla ilgili incelemem: https://kitapokurum.blogspot.com/2018...
Stephen
4.5 Stars. Satisfying conclusion to one of the classic space opera trilogies in science fiction history. Asimov could really spin a good, fun yarn and populate it was great "larger than life" characters.
Doğukan Şık
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Son elli sayfada elli kere ters köşe oldum galiba. Her şey bitti derken kitabın son cümlesiyle tekrar şok oldum. Şu an boş boş etrafa bakıyorum.
Katy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing truly surprising in this one by the end, but a delightful read nonetheless.
Bryant Rudisill
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asimov has a linguistic prowess that is nearly untouchable - nearly. Not any skilled writer can project a copious amount of thought and ideals behind a few well-formulated sentences. Let alone have the innate ability to fabricate conundrums for the reader to so innocently and unwittingly plunge into around every other page. I figured myself top-notch, thinking I had discovered the hidden secrets behind the book; thinking I had discovered the ultimate truth behind the words of Harry Seldin and fo ...more
Luke Devenish
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bliss me out, Bayta! The Second Foundation are controlling my mind! Well, they MUST be because I enjoyed this, the third of the Foundation space doddles, ONE WHOLE STAR MORE than the other two books that preceded it. Let's face it, I was certifiably paranoid BEFORE I picked up book number 3, but thanks to those cunning Second Foundationers and their ghastly galactic grip, I've gone starker raving bonkers than Ozzy Osbourne in receipt of a Final Notice gas bill. But there's a comfort in being min ...more
Daniel Gonçalves
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A prophet needs prescience and clairvoyance to accomplish his task, and Isaac Asimov possessed these qualities, because he was one. He did it by conveying the distant future to his followers.

It was the Foundation series that made him famous and propelled his name into the annals of science fiction.In this third book, Asimov continues the quest for truth by delivering something unseen in the previous two iterations: consistency.

His only major flaw as an author – not being able to utilize engagi
Pterodactyl
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Asimov pulled it off! The cliffhanger at the end of "Foundation and Empire" leads to a wonderful storyline full of mystery and intriguee in "Second Foundation." The Seldon Plan, which worked like a Deus Ex Machina in "Foundation," finally faces a serious threat. Not to mention, Asimov's writing has improved by leaps and bounds in this book, and the glaring exposition necessary at the beginning is handled with much more subtlety and believability. In "Foundation" and the first half of "Foundation ...more
Nandakishore Varma
Asimov rounds off the trilogy in exemplary way. The Foundation, destroyed by the unpredictable variable in the statistical equation (in this case, the mutant Mule), is brought back into working order by the "Second Foundation", the secret 'Plan B' of Hari Seldon - rumoured to be located at the other end of the galaxy. It's a fine SF novel and an intriguing space mystery at the same time.
0rkun
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vakıf serisinin 3. kitabı olan İkinci Vakıf serinin okuduğum kısmına kadar en iyi olanıydı.

(view spoiler)
Ricky Ganci
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Incorrect 3 15 Nov 30, 2017 11:03PM
Science Fiction A...: * Foundation Series Book 3: Second Foundation 34 27 Sep 24, 2017 11:46AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. please combine 4 48 Jan 26, 2016 02:29AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: Second Foundation 35 69 Feb 26, 2015 06:50AM
Isaac Asimov Novels: Second Foundation 1 6 Jan 09, 2015 12:52PM
Hitchhiking Acros...: Asimov's Foundation trilogy 2 30 Jun 27, 2013 12:12AM
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy #3)
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy #2)
  • Judas Unchained
  • The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History, #1-21)
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)
  • Imperial Earth
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1)
  • The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge (Gap, #2)
  • The Golden Torc (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #2)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #4)
  • Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #2)

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o
More about Isaac Asimov

Foundation (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • Foundation (Foundation #1)
  • Foundation and Empire (Foundation #2)
  • Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4)
  • Foundation and Earth (Foundation #5)
  • Prelude to Foundation
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99