Start by marking “Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic” as Want to Read:
Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  984 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
David Currie was raised in a devout Christian family whose father was a fundamentalist preacher and both parents teachers at Moody Bible Institute. Currie's whole upbringing was immersed in the life of fundamentalist Protestantism - theology professors, seminary presidents and founders of evangelical mission agencies were frequent guests at his family dinner table. Currie ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic

Trae Johnson
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
In summary, this is the author's personal conversion story from Fundamentalism (i.e., Evangelicalism) to RC. His criticisms of Fundamentalism were moderate, but seemingly fair. This book is certainly not a scholarly theological treatise on the subject (nor does it claim to be), however, the author does bring up some serious problems with Fundamentalism in particular, and Protestantism in general, for which there may be good answers.

The one thing that I really appreciated about this book and wha
Pablo  Rodriguez
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Being someone who approached Catholicism later in life with a protestant perspective I have always been a little troubled by some of the Catholic teachings. David Curie's book is very enlightening and gave me a better perspective on my Catholic faith. I don't agree with him on all points, but he makes a lot of sense on most topics. A valuable read for protestants and Catholics alike.
Nicki
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I found this to be a good book, but of course it is because some of my thoughts were validated. I recently was baptized Catholic, so I may be biased. One can hardly take another's word for it when it comes to right and wrong in religion, so this was more of a stepping stone for me to really look at scripture, the Church, myself, and to pray. I was not looking for something so that I can say "aha!" to my Protestant friends, because I don't think that is a good representation of what I believe in, ...more
Diane
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Diane by: Fr. Hirsch
This book really changed my faith life. I learned so much from it about what Catholics believe and why that I was a completely different type of Catholic after reading it. I gave this book to my cousin when I sponsored her for confirmation, and I've shared it with and recommended it to so many friends/family.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in, questions or doubts about the Catholic faith, or any Catholic who wants to affirm, renew, or strengthen their faith.
Les
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
David Currie explains Catholic doctrine in language that this (former) evangelical could understand. Highly recommended.
Steven
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very down-to-earth book narrating the author's path to Catholicism. I love reading people's stories. Currie uses his conversion story as a tool to both help people understand his story and to aid readers in learning about Catholicism. He gives a very fair assessment of Evangelicalism and its shortfalls. He addresses the main doctrines that separate Protestants and Catholics, and he also points out and explains some of the main obstacles that help support biases Protestants often have ...more
Kristofer Carlson
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I find David Currie's description of his switch from Fundamentalism to Catholicism compelling, because I had much the same journey. I understand his history, and I understand his arguments. The book is very well organized; for example, he discusses Scriptural Authority, then Authority in general, and finally Authority focused in the Church hierarchy. The arguments build on each other, creating a compelling case. In the later chapters he spend time on the incarnation and premillenial theology, tw ...more
Kevin Heldt
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite possibly the best of the "Protestant-to-Catholic conversion stories" out there. Very accessible. Presents all the typcial obstacles and walks the reader through his process of overcoming them. It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember relating to him a lot better than some of the other authors of this type of book.
Bobby Chastain
May 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholicism
I read this book during my own [still occuring] conversion process. This book is instrumental in understanding the most popularly controversial doctrines of the Catholic Church from the perspective of a man who spent his adult life preaching against them.
Philip
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! Send it as a gift to every fundamentalist you know! :)
Chrismpadgett Padgett
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
At the time I felt it wasn't terribly well written (probably because I was so captivated by Thomas Howard's writing style) yet it was very satisfying and encouraging.
Kelly
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting read. I've been on a soul-searching journey between remaining a Catholic or switching to another denomination because of Catholicism's harsh treatment of divorcées, particularly those who remarry. Because of this, I haven't been to church in many years though I desperately want to return. I don't have a problem with God's teachings, but the church's insistence of digging up my 10 year-old dirty laundry with my ex (and paying fees to do so!) which is bound to cause major d ...more
Angelia
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
very fascinating - new respect for the Catholic Religion
Scott Hayden
May 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
Good, in that it helped me understand where Catholics are coming from. I never understood their three-part base for authority: scripture, oral tradition, and the clergy.

Bad, in that Currie fails to properly support his main thesis: “the New Testament clearly and positively teaches that we are under the obligation to obey the verbal teaching (tradition) of the Church, just as we are under the obligation to obey clear mandates of the inspired New Testament” (p. 54) To clarify, when Currie says “ve
Br Stabin John Capuchin
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic, 2017-read
When our brothers coming back to the full communion of the Catholic Church they are bringing a hand full of gifts for us. I wonder the struggle they went through the journey to find the pearls in the Catholic Church. David B. Currie made an extensive study on the Catholic doctrines and shared it with us. This book made a nice study on the different topics as Scott Hahn, Stephen Ray and many others did in their stories. It is great help for me to find the real values which I am living everyday. I ...more
Shawna
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
what a great personal struggle david takes you through as he discovers the Catholic Church in a down to earth manner. he gives a fair assessment of Evangelicalism and its shortfalls. he addresses the main doctrines that separate Protestants and Catholics, and he also points out and explains some of the main obstacles that help support biases Protestants often have against the Catholic Church. His message and information is simple, easy to read and a wonderful introduction to Catholicism for the ...more
Mark Notestine
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well written narrative but not compelling to me. He uses the usual arguments of the Roman Catholic apologists that I do not find compelling; nothing new or original here. He starts with the views that the Roman Catholic feels have the strongest Scriptural support and then gradually moves to those with the least Scriptural support (e.g. dogmas on Mary).

He presents a straw man view of evangelicalism. His experience seems to have been in the generic non-denominational movement or non-Reformed Bapti
Abigail Rasmussen
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the conversion story of a man named David Currie, a loving husband and father to 7 children. He says, “This is the story of my inner burning for a closer relationship with Christ -and of where the Truth led me.” He writes with a heart full of humility, patience, and charity for his Evangelical brothers and sisters. I absolutely loved this book, and recommend it to anyone interested in exploring the Catholic Church and what it teaches.

You can read my conversion story here: www.teawithabb
David S. T.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Different from the conversion story of Rome Sweet Home in that this went into more of the common arguments that Protestants have with Catholicism and it tried to provide defenses. He does a very good job on some points but others he didn't present arguments which convinced me to change my opinion. I don't have the book in front of me to remember which I had problems understanding, but I think it was penance, tradition and Mary. His quick summary of purgatory was decent though or it at least answ ...more
John Goossen
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was a bit of a letdown. On the positive side the Author articulated his unanswered questions in fundamentalism and explains Catholic theology in evangelical terms. The negative side is that his arguments are not all that strong and fail to convince. I have had conversations with Catholic seminarians where Catholic theology was defended much more skillfully. I felt his argument for Eucharist to be the strongest, and yet not convincing. Beyond that, the author’s arguments hinge on the ac ...more
Kendra Beth
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Was interesting; in my view, however, it seems as though he simply converted from fundamentalist protestant to fundamentalist catholic... And I didn't see that he actually addresses any arguments, he just claims that he pursued truth, and "found the truth" (aka. the Catholic church). I would beg the question, "what truth were you seeking/ did you find, and how is this truth differ from your previous religious experience...?
Timothy Newman
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very insightful on the Doctrine of the Catholic Church. Despite the many criticisms leveled at it by secular and fundamentalist organizations, the Church stands with integrity on many dogmatic issues. It offered many apologetic arguments from David Currie who at first criticized Catholicism, and is now a fervent defender of the Faith (sounds similar to a famous Christian. This book really supported my faith after some Evangelist proselytizing.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the most persuasive argument I've encountered in support of the Catholic religion over Protestantism. Its effectiveness is probably due in part to the similarities between the author's background and my own. Although this book hasn't completely convinced me, it has convinced me there are some strong arguments worthy of consideration. Equally so, I see strong reasons against some of the evangelical perspective.
Marjorie
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this because Dale asked me to. Currie was raised and educated Evangelical Free; attended Trinity International University and went on to Trinity Evangelical Theological seminary , Only to become convinced he needed to be a Roman Catholic ....he had a wife and kids, all of whom do convert to the RCC
Michael
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Currie is very personable and works through some important issues facing inquires to Catholic thought. Currie being from a Baptist/Fundamentalist background is great for working through issues of concern for those traditions, but great for anybody to read. He reveals a lot of the things he struggled through while coming into full communion with the Church.
Aimee
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
A key factor in Currie's move/conversion (?) to the Catholic Church was his view of the Host/Eucharist/components of the Lord's Supper. His description of his early life as a Christian were interesting. I found it hard to understand his motivation to convert to Catholicism, outside of the significance of the Host.
Chad
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story of how a man on track to be a fundamentalist preacher became a Catholic apologist. His criticisms of fundamentalism are at times sharp, but he does do justice to the failure in doctrine of the many fundamentalist faiths. A great read if you are on the brink of joining, or lapsing out of Catholicism.
Bo
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
both the personal journey of the author (from fundamentalist christian to catholic) and the arguments he presents for catholicism in this book intrigued me. i have been drawn to catholic spirituality in the last 4 years and it gave me a lot of food for thought.
Neil Moore
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
It was a good summary of and apologetic concerning Catholic beliefs and the traditional criticisms of the protestants toward Catholic theology. However, it did gloss over certain rather difficult areas of Catholic tradition.
Maria
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it

Interesting though it took me forever to get through because it was my late night read. I have been curious about the differences between Catholics and my Southern Baptist relatives---this certainly provided some clarity....
Does this book represent Catholic thought well? 5 33 Sep 05, 2013 05:25AM
  • Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • Crossing the Tiber
  • On Being Catholic
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • Where We Got The Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church
  • How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization
  • Return To Rome: Confessions of an Evangelical Catholic
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
David Currie, Research Associate of The St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, is a popular Catholic author, lecturer and retreat leader.

His widely read and influential 1996 book, Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic (Ignatius Press) tells the story of his conversion, along with his wife Colleen, from fundamentalist missionaries to Catholic apologists. Prominent convert, Thomas Howard, has cal
More about David B. Currie
“find. At the time, I thought Lewis was a bit hung up on ritual (sacramentalism), but I overlooked this fault” 0 likes