Start by marking “Losing Cadence” as Want to Read:
Losing Cadence

Losing Cadence

When Cadence Weaverly graduates from high school, she thinks it's for the best that she and her boyfriend, Richard White, take separate paths: she to Julliard and he back to Harvard. Ten years later, she has an ideal job and a wonderful fiance, Christian. She is building the life of her dreams-until the day Richard resurfaces out of the blue, abducts her from her San Franc ...more
Published March 16th 2016 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Losing Cadence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Cadence

Start your review of Losing Cadence
Chelsea Broos
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great thriller. Just when you thought it was about to end, there would be another twist. I love books with endings that do not get wrapped up with pretty little bows. Looking forward to the sequel.
Missybee
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Losing Cadence" was a great read from start to finish. Cadence Weaverly has been kidnapped by an extremely obsessive and mentally unstable ex-boyfriend, Richard White, who uses his vast wealth and ruthless resourcefulness to hold her prisoner. But Cadence is resourceful too, and that, combined with her desperate longing to be reunited with the fiancé she loves, Christian, makes for a gripping, scary, and thrilling page-turner of a story. The book drew me in and had me imagining what I would do ...more
Tanya Sharma-Moore
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, fast paced, gripping thriller. Kept me interested right from the beginning to the end. Cannot wait to read the sequel.
Lana Shupe
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Forget ANY other suspense novel you have read in the past or even recently. RUN to buy, borrow or steal Laura Lovett's LOSING CADENCE! My breath was held, my heart was stopped my mind was blown. There was never a minute when I wasn't on the edge of my seat with dread. I was scared for Cadence from start to end. Just when I thought there was hope, Lovett snatched it away from me with another twist of the plot and turn of the page. A book has not affected me this much since I read Emma Donaghue's ...more
Sheryl Khanna
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
'Losing Cadence' had me hooked at page one! This psychological thriller tells the story of concert flautist, Cadence Weaverly, and her stalker ex-boyfriend, successful businessman, Richard White. Will Cadence escape Richard's twisted plans to keep her forever or will she eventually give up trying and accept her fate? You'll have to read to find out. With loads of twists and turns, Laura Lovett's debut novel is not only well written but hard to put down...a real page-turner. A great read for fans ...more
Zakeana Reid
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was pulled into the story from the opening paragraph, and led down dark and twisting corridors, through flashbacks and back out into the light of the final chapter. But it left me wanting more. There is JUST enough of the mystery solved that I can wait for the second book...and there MUST be a second book, but where it will go I can't imagine!

Losing Cadence provides us a glimpse into the world of terror caused by obsession and control, as well as a reminder of the resilience of the human mind
Zelda Duursema
Losing Cadence was a page-turner. I couldn’t put it down! Laura Lovett kept the suspense throughout and now I’ll have to read Finding Sophie asap!
It’s well crafted and well written, and I recommend it to those who love suspense.
Grady
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘What had drawn me to this quiet, intense guy was the compassion he demonstrated.’

Canadian author Laura Lovett has successfully written books in the academic and business world. She is a practicing psychologist and an entrepreneur, and now turns her talents to writing novels. LOSING CADENCE is her impressive debut psychological thriller. Laura lives in Calgary, Alberta.

Though there are many authors who write successful psychological thrillers, few of them are actually practicing psychologists. T
Caitlyn O'dowd
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a bad story - a few good twists in the end - but the writing was so bad, particularly in the first few chapters, that I was countlessly shaking my head and rolling my eyes.
Lana Taylor
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was holding my breath during the last few chapters! Super intense and def. Could not put the book down! Can't wait to read the sequel !!
Lethie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Even though this was not a 5 star book I would still consider it a "couldn't put down read" Suspense throughout the whole book with great twists and turns. It's amazing when the power of money mixes w/ a mental disorder. Makes for an excellent psyc-thriller.
Richard was a creepy guy in the Wife Between Us and now in this book, Richard most be a good antagonist name! :) I loved how her passion for music carried her throughout the book if not added to the great ending!
Unlike many books, the endin
Ivy (Raine Reads)
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
UPDATE

I went into Losing Cadence with such high hopes. Seriously, when I discovered this book I immediately had to get my hands on a copy. The synopsis sounded perfect for my reading tastes.

Unfortunately, that's where my affection for Laura Lovett's debut novel stopped. While the premise for this book is amazing, any interest was immediately killed by the driest, most senseless fiction writing that I've ever encountered. I felt no empathy for any of the characters while reading this book. As if
Zoe
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Intensely riveting, spine-chilling, and highly suspenseful!

This is a gripping thriller that illustrates the psychological and emotional anguish of obsession, manipulation, selfishness, lies, and deception.

The prose is clear and precise. The characterization is well developed, with the main character, Cadence, being confused, resilient, and empathetic, while Richard is intense, moody, and conniving. And the story is written in a nice, past/present style that allows insight and depth into both the
Nicole Hambley
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can not say enough about how much I loved this novel! Right from the start I genuinely could not put it down until I had soaked in every last word. I loved the mystery and intensity of the character experiences as well as the incredible detail describing each and every event in the plot! You really feel as if you are a part of the story yourself feeling every emotion the characters, both major and minor, are experiencing themselves. I will definitely be recommending this novel to others, and I ...more
Nell Smith
Jun 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
I normally don't care for psychological thrillers, but after reading the first chapters of Losing Cadence, I was hooked and couldn’t wait to know what happened next. Lovett portrayed the psychopath in this thriller uncomfortably well and left us asking what we might have done in the same circumstance. Now for the sequel that I'll want to read for sure! Maybe I'm beginning to like psychological thrillers?
Nell Smith, Author of Retire to the Life You Love, practical tools for designing your meaning
Eloise
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Losing Cadence is the most entertaining book that I have read this year! I am not usually attracted to thrillers or suspense in books but the way that Lovett writes and integrates the psychological elements made this book a favorite for me. The suspense was such that I could not put the book down! This book will appeal to all types of readers; those that love a mystery or thriller but also those who might normally enjoy romance novels.
Belle
Sep 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
I didn't really enjoy this book. I found the story pace for the book really slow. For three chapters, it describes Cadence constantly crying.
I didn't feel any connection with the characters. I really disliked the main character, Cadence. I found her rather annoying.
I didn't feel much of a climax or arc in the story. It felt more like a psychology paper of explaining things rather than having the story unfold before me.
Sorry... Its just not for me I guess.
Scott Schram
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovett spins an intricate web of twists and turns that keep you reading until you are done. I found it very entertaining and difficult to put down. Richard is a manipulative, resourceful and all around obsessive man. I found myself really hoping for Cadence. What a great read and I am sure all who pick this book up will really find it entertaining and well worth their time.
Margaret Miyagishima
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I polished off Losing Cadence in one sitting. I just love it. I am a huge mystery/ suspense buff and I have basically run out of mystery books from the series I follow. This book is right up there with the best of them in terms of quality, readability, and intrigue. I have to say the last page was not expected. Very powerful and eerie. I can so see this book as a movie.
Brian Smart
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Lovett does not miss a beat in the weaving of this psychological thriller that is Losing Cadence. Did not want to put this book down, it really did hijack my attention. If Richard White were to have a say in the matter, I believe he would stalk the author's every waking minute until the sequel is released!
Peggy Warren
Jun 13, 2016 marked it as to-read
Certainly a captivating plot although these kinds of situations unnerve me. I know it is fiction but kidnapping happens so much in reality that it makes me uneasy. That being said, Lovett has answers for most of my questions in each development and it was indeed a page turner. I will read your next work Ms Lovett.
Aleisha
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOSING CADENCE a full *5 STARS* 1 Day, 1 Book that all it takes. This novel was an intriguing, tangled and twisted read from start to finish. I could not put this down until I drank in every single word. A captivating and suspenseful read, perfect for those who adored Gone Girl. Do yourself a favour, read this novel – you will not be disappointed.
Denene Derksen
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed getting caught up in this suspenseful, intelligent adventure. The themes exploring passion and obsession, and compassion and self-preservation, combined with a well written plot satisfied many of my reader's desires!
Margaret
If you like a good page turner, this book delivers!! A roller coaster ride from start to finish.
I love a thriller with a good old crazy villain and Ms. Lovett has succeeded with "Richard".
Get the book you will not be sorry, looking forward to a sequel or better yet the movie.
April
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A twisted novel from start to finish, Losing Cadence will have you wanting more from page one. Lovett writes in such a way that you can't help but be invested in the novel, making this page turner the perfect summer read!
Janet Yates
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Great Read! I could not put this book down. Truly gripping from the first page. While reading the book you cannot help but put yourself in Cadence's shoes and wonder "What would I do?" Days later, you will find you are still thinking about the characters! Read it, you will not regret it.
Sogna
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! Gripping from the start. Twists and turns throughout that keep you on the edge of your seat. I dare you to put it down! An amazing debut novel. How long do I have to wait for a sequel?
Tarah B
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was gripped instantly! There was lots of twists and turns and you really feel a connection to the characters through out this thrilling, complex novel!
Melodie Becker
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Losing Cadence is a real page turner with many creative twists. Totally enjoyed this book from start to finish.
Shauna Sinclair
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just loved losing Cadence, it was such an intense, gripping escape read. I usually pass along my novels to friends, but I'm keeping this one in my library because I know I'll be reading it again.

• High Achiever: The Incredible True Story of One Addict's Double Life
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • The Reluctant Witness
  • Little Girl Lost (A Riveting Kidnapping Mystery #0)
  • Watching You
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Why Mummy Drinks
  • The Ice Twins
  • The Italian
  • Dr. Stanton Box Set (Dr. Stanton, #1-2)
  • Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • Cuckoo
  • Stanton Bliss (Stanton, #4)
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • The Thirteenth Tale
  • The Next Person You Meet in Heaven
Laura (Hambley) Lovett was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, and received her PhD in Psychology from the University of Calgary in 2006. Her love of writing began at an early age when she would create and draw characters, telling stories to herself as she drew.

An accomplished author in the academic and business world, Laura pursued her love of creative writing to pen her first novel, Losing Cade