Start by marking “The Queens of England” as Want to Read:
The Queens of England

The Queens of England

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  14 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Brief biography of each of England's queens, beginning with Matilda of Flanders and ending with Elizabeth II. Also contains some black and white illustrations.
Published 1976 by Stein and Day

To ask other readers questions about The Queens of England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queens of England

Amelia
Consisting of brief biographies of every Queen of England* since the Norman Conquest (in 1066, for those of you who failed history), The Queens of England is full of interesting little tidbits. A fair few of these queens, I have to say I have never heard of, so it was good to read about them. I've never formally studied English history pre-industrial revolution, because a good chunk of my school years were spent in America, so much of what I know is through reading, mainly historical fiction. It ...more
Marisa
In "The Queens of England," Barbara Softly gives a brief overview of each Queen of England since the first Century. I have a strong interest in British monarchs, so this was a perfect guide to getting to know a little more about the queens that were brushed over in history class, and the queens I had never heard of. I love reading about their accomplishments and their marriage dynamics. I hope Softly continues to update her Kings/Queens of England books.

I only wish that there was some sort of fa
Collin
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, nonfic
A nice little overview of all the queens of England. Granted, it gets hard to keep track of who married who/who's related to who/who IS who/et cetera after a while, but if you don't stress too much, it's quite fun. There were some really fascinating women behind the throne of England back when. A few of my favorites were Eleanor of Castile (1272-1290), Anne of Cleves (1540 - she was married to and divorced Henry VIII the same year), and Alexandra of Denmark (1901-1910). Definitely some people to ...more
Kelly A.
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: since-may-2011
Provided a pretty interesting brief background on each queen/queen consort of England. Had a few mistakes, such as an error in Katherine of Aragon's birth date and listing Mary II as Charles I's daughter when she was his granddaughter.
J. Alfred
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Gives a shot in the arm to my history knowledge, which is abysmal, and helps me get all these ruling families in some sort of chronological order. Softly makes it through the entire 150 pages or so with only two references to Shakespeare! Astonishing.
Susan
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any British history buff
Wonderful "potted" biograhies for each of England's queens.
I refer to it periodically, particulary while reading historical fiction.
Anita Dalton