Start by marking “Crocodile Legion (A Roman Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crocodile Legion (A Roman Adventure, #1)

Crocodile Legion

(A Roman Adventure #1)

The prefect of Egypt needs money. And the men of the 22nd Legion must brave mazes and tombs and curses and crocodile gods to get to it.

Marcus and Callie, orphaned in ancient Alexandria and taken in by their uncle, the standard bearer in the legion, are about to travel up the great river Nile with the legionaries in a tense and funny adventure to grab the gold of the
Published March 24th 2016 by Mulcahy Books (first published March 17th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Crocodile Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crocodile Legion

Start your review of Crocodile Legion (A Roman Adventure, #1)
P.M. Montrose
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of good stories for children… and I'm a big fan of this one. It's aimed at kids, and they'll love it. I'm 42… and loved it every bit as much as kids will.

I can't remember ever reading a novel set in ancient times (resisting any comments about being forced to read the Bible at school), so Crocodile Legion was unchartered territory for me. But Simon, ably assisted by the illustrations of Dave Slaney, has created such easy, clear pictures that I slipped quickly and fully into the legion
Paul Bennett
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Meet Mr. Turney one day, I will, and will beg him, "Please Simon wan Kenobi, teach me to write." The prolific creator of books for old farts like me, such as, Marius Mules, Praetorian, and The Ottoman Cycle has now produced a tale for children. And an excellent one I might add. The story revolves around a quest for riches to help pay for the rebuilding of Alexandria. It is full of excitement, adventure, danger and mystery and is sure to entertain the age group it is intended for. In addition, ...more
Frances
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was sent to the library where I work and I picked it up as I didn't know the authors. I enjoyed the story. It was fast paced and a good adventure. I felt it lost the sense of history occasionally but good for KS2 to get a bit of history on top of an adventure.
Adam Lofthouse
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read this to my eldest son. Perfect for history fans looking to share their interests with their kids. My son loved it, and can't wait to read the next one!
Ian Langham
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit first and foremost that not having any children of my own my forays into children's books has been extremely limited. As such I hardly know, if at all what makes a good book for them. However I have read enough to know what makes a good book in general, and this is in that category. The core of the story is the (mis)adventures of two orphaned children named Marcus and Callie aged 10 and 8 respectively. Who live with their uncle who is the standard bearer in a Roman Legion. As ...more
David Baird
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
S.J.A Turney is well known to me as a historical fiction writer. After reviewing some of his previous books I couldn’t wait to see how he would write a story aimed at a younger audience.

I couldn’t help but enjoy this tale, it had the historical edge Simon is known for but with the added fun that comes from being written for a young adult.

This story was enjoyable from the start; the young kids give a fun feel to the story as we see it through their eyes rather than the adults.

The storyline itself
Anthony Last
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant children's book about life as a child in a Legionary encampment in Egypt. The adult troops are sent on a mission to find gold and the 2 kids tag along.
john verrall
CALVIN ANDERSON
Apr 05, 2016
Kerry West
Jan 12, 2019

• Pirate Legion (A Roman Adventure Book 2)
  • The Sniper (Janac's Games, #0.5)
  • The Druid (Warrior Druid of Britain #1)
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and