Start by marking “You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management” as Want to Read:
You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers are unraveling biological secrets about such things as why you crave chocolate or gorge at buffets or store so much fat.Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz, America's most trusted ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You

Start your review of You: On a Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management
Heidi-Marie
The concepts, at least what I was able to read, in this book make sense. But I'm just getting tired of it. I've tried two times to read it. It's always due back at the library and there are other books that are more pressing or interesting to finish before it.

I like any books that talk about healthy ways of eating and living. But I really don't like books (particularly ones on food and diet) that give you the suggested shopping list and recipes. I can't afford 3/4 of the stuff they recommend!
MelissaS
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to eat well
Though the title of this book is "YOU on a Diet" - this book is not really a "diet" book, as in how to lose weight fast ... it is more of a "lifestyle change" book. The premise of the book is this: if you truly understand how your body works, you will be more motivated to eat healthy and exercise. This lifestyle change will enable you to find your body's optimal weight, and make weight loss more permanent as you develop consistent eating and exercise habits.

The key what has made the book popular
John
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
As a doctor myself, I can say that there is some great information in these pages- a lot about fat and the detriment that it's causing in our culture. Some doctors like to suggest cures to symptoms instead of cures for the problem and it appears that these gentleman may be doing just that. The gimmicky (and funny) "waist management" technique is interesting and fairly unique from what I've seen, but it can be seen as just a diversion. Maybe people who are obese need a diversion and need to stop ...more
Kristin
Sep 02, 2007 rated it liked it
I saw a show on Oprah where Drs Oz & Roizon helped a chunky, tired middle-aged woman lose weight, tone up and eventually look really hot. I bought this book hoping it would motivate me to do the same. Somehow, I still have the same 20 pounds to lose.

The cutesy style with lots of puns and silly drawings gets annoying after awhile, but it has lots of good, solid advice on how to lose weight and live a healthier life. Someday, I intend to follow it.
Becca
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book was trying so hard to be common person friendly in explaining it's science, that it made it harder to understand. There were too many metaphors and wasted dumb jokes that I was forced to read while trying to mine out the real information.
Nupur
So if you're one of those people who are trying to lose weight like me, am sure you suffer from information overload but help starvation. Well, here's some help.

For some time, I kept whimpering I needed to lose weight, but actually didn't know what to do different...I was eating the right kinds of food and knew had to get in some exercise. When I was diagnosed with Thyroid, I used that to justify why I was putting on weight. But I still wanted to lose it. Now we all know that we need to cut out
Matt Burgess
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
You, On a Diet (2006), Mehmet C. Oz, Michael F. Roizen

The title of this book doesn't do it justice. Initially, I thought it would be a bore, but the content was very relevant and interesting. You, On a Diet takes you through the socioeconomic conditions resulting in obesity, the anatomy of digestion, the body's physiological and chemical reactions to foods and a detailed diet with exercise plan. If anything this book is an incredible resource for those topics. I will admit the repeated
Tonya
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
While the humor in the book tried a bit too hard (and was at moments off-putting) the essential message was a good one. Eat sensibly, exercise sensibly and don't try fad diets. The recipes look good, the exercise in the book is doable, and the science in the book (in particular about why diets are destined to fail and make you feel worse) is fascinating.

I don't know that I am organized to follow the plan to a tee since it lists a "14 day plan" to put you on the right track, but I absolutely got
Katie
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dieters with a brain and free will (and an appetite)
I appreciated this fresh approach to dieting. rather than just receive a laundry list of instructions or "dont's of dieting", the authors spent the first half of the book explaining the biology of hunger, satiety, nutrition, why high fructose corn syrup is evil, etc. And i swear even those without the bachelor's degree in bio could really get a good grasp on the material. Then it gets into meal guides, excercise suggestions and so on. It even gives you a shopping list to start out. So, another ...more
Karen
Nov 09, 2007 rated it liked it
I love Dr Oz the co- author of this book. For me the book isn't so much about diet. Actually it's not about being on any type of diet. What the book is about are the fundamentals of what goes on in the anatomy of the body. To read about the wonders of the human body is fascinating to me.. He is very specific in how the body takes in food and breaks down food. I like reading about what happens, why it happens, and how it happens that the food you choose effects eveything that can happen to your ...more
Kirsti
Nov 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, science, food
I thought this was sensible and even somewhat entertaining. Haven't tried any of the exercises or recipes, though.

I didn't know that (according to many peer-reviewed studies) it's waist size and not total weight that has the greatest effect on mortality rate. I thought that "waist management" was just a cutesy title.

The authors are both doctors, and apparently they got through medical school by using mnemonic devices, because this book has about 50 of them.
Jessica
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
You on a Diet wasn't as interesting for me as You: Being Beautiful. In this book they talk about changing your pallet so you don't need to eat things that are as sweet. They also talk about what foods are good for snacking and what foods keep you fuller longer (i.e. cinnamon, who knew!?). They also give great recipes for foods that will help change your pallet. Very interesting and well written.
Nancy H
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this was an excellent overview of what happens to your body when you go on a diet, including reasons why you need to get healthy. It is a fun book, done in a light-hearted manner that belies the seriousness of the topic, with tips, tricks, exercises, and a new way of eating (that some people would call a 'diet') that can help everyone get healthier.
Josh
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book contains an absolutely refreshing view of not only the way we should eat, but of the way we need to live our lives. Most diet plans are so extreme that it is not surprising that people are unable or unwilling to stick with them. Diet plans that are not sustainable will not work for anyone long-term, whether they are celebrity-endorsed, or promise a huge amount of weight loss in little or no time.

Most people simply need to learn about food, how digestion works, and what happens to the
Holly
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Jinky
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
(Playaway audio version, #9781436157926, 10.5hrs)
YOU-reka! A true manual ... it contains detailed-seemingly boring gist (biology and physiology of fat and such though I actually thought it was fascinating!), sprinkled humor (can get irritating if you listen/read through the entire book), illustrations (I had to get the bound book too), and index (cool).

If you're motivated enough and ready for the leap of healthy eating then this might be the book for you! It was quite informational and
Nicole
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to live a healthier life.
This book is amazing. It's written in a VERY easy to read style - complete with sarcasm and fun illustrations and diagrams.

This isn't just a diet book. It's more like a biology book. It explains the HOW and WHY part of a healthy lifestyle. For instance, how chemicals from your brain and digestive system interact to tell whether you're hungry or full.

The basic principle of the book is to give you an understanding of how your body works so you can adopt habits that work WITH the way it's designed
Satia
Jul 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
I cannot finish this book. The format is distracting and frustrating. Although the information the book offers is good, unless you know very little about how your body works and/or exercise, there isn’t much of interest to be found within the pages. In fact, I’ve gone to the book as a resource to try to find answers to things and am always disappointed by the superficial and often shallow information.

So if you know little to nothing about digestion, diet, and/or exercise, then you’ll probably
Darcie
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, book-club
It took awhile for me to get into the book at first. I'm not much into biology, and the first half of the book is about the biology of your digestive system. It uses cute diagrams and has many helpful facts and tips though that helped. The part that really applied to me was how our emotions and hormones affect our "waist management". As far as what needs to be done to lose weight, nothing is different than what we know already, eat right and exercise. It just explains better, from a scientific ...more
Brianna
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
I am really enjoying this book, despite of how I was feeling in the beginning! It is very educational and helps to teach you just how your body works, how food affects it and how to maintain it. We should all know how our bodies function and how to properly care for them, yet we probably know more about how our cars or computers work, UGH! The only part of the book that I have been annoyed with is the constant smart alec remarks and puns. But the actual information is worth rolling your eyes ...more
Heather
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Great content, really annoying writing style. If you can tune out the pop culture references (really hard to do after a while), this is a great "user manual" for your digestive system and how your choices manifest themselves physically. There's no shaming going on, nor do the authors advocate any unhealthy fad diets or dwell on beauty standards. Instead they focus on positive and sustainable ways to get your weight and shape under control for maximum health. This is a guide to your body written ...more
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pat and I are currently following the nutrition plan outlined in this book, and we've lost some weight. The book has some corny jokes, but taught me some things about the biology of digestion. The food plan is low calorie, high fiber, and otherwise well-balanced. The recipes are actually quite tasty.
Update: so I'm still following the food plan after seven weeks, and I've continued to lose weight. I find the food plan very easy to stick with (satisfying and tasty).
JaNae
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Read this before but doing a quick review as I set out to lose some stubborn pounds this fall. I'm not a fan of fad-diets so I really like this book because it is science based. I love that they explain how fat comes on and off of your body and gives you some practical tips for succeeding. I also really like that the focus is on being healthy--not just skinny (even though that's the real goal and we all know it!)
Jennie
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
This book was encouraging and informative. It's not one of those crazy diet books. It's about moderation in all things. It teaches you how to feel full, how to build up your core muscles to increase your base metabolic rate and such. The book covers some of the sciency parts of eating and exercise in a way that anyone can understand.
Samm
Aug 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
If I could give this book negative stars, I gladly would. I didn't care to finish the book. I'll find a source about how my body works without feeling like the butt of a snide joke every other page.
Rachel
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Really good information, but REALLY poorly written. I could hardly get through most of the guys of the info because of all of the jokes and side comments. I appreciate a book written for "real people" but the jokes were just distracting for the most part.
Catherine
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has solid information, but the writing is lame. There are too many cute drawings that do not clarify the information and the use of figurative language is going to make me vomit. I guess that would make me lose weight though...
Dre McDermott
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
reference guide for anyone starting a diet or wanting reminders to stay motivated. very informational lay dense. second half seems like afterthoughts.
Priscilla King
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers who want to lose weight
Recommended to Priscilla by: a thin healthy woman who watches TV
Much has been learned about the biochemistry of weight loss since most of us learned about calories. This book explains this scientific information with lots of wisecracks and cartoons. For actual weight loss, the authors assume readers already know about diet and exercise and just encourage them to use what they know. They offer a few low-cal recipes and some tips about "diet aids."
Anita
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The medical problems of waist fat. Recipes, exercises and hokey humor, but good information.

• I Kissed Dating Goodbye: A New Attitude Toward Relationships and Romance
  • How Not To Die
  • Superlife
  • Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University
  • The Smartest Money Book You'll Ever Read: Everything You Need to Know About Growing, Spending, and Enjoying Your Money
  • The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel
  • Let It Go: Downsizing Your Way to a Richer, Happier Life
  • Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It
  • Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
  • Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimised practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
  • Knitting for Two: 20 Simple Designs for Expectant and New Mommies and Babies
  • Classic Knits at Home: 15 Timeless Designs to Knit and Keep Forever
  • Maybe This Time
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Bridle the Wind (Felix Brooke, #2)
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
Michael F. Roizen, MD
“Use extralight virgin olive oil, which has less flavor and may help control taste cravings.” 0 likes
“YOU-reka! When you keep your hands and brain occupied—whether with video games, gardening, or removing a spleen—it means you’re putting your brain into the state you want: not thinking about eating and not automatically reaching for something to put in your mouth.” 0 likes