Start by marking “Sun & Urn: Poems” as Want to Read:
Sun & Urn: Poems

Sun & Urn: Poems

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Christopher Salerno's fourth collection of poems, Sun & Urn, is a book made from the wild stuff of grief and loss. Readers will find in these lyric poems a peculiar force pushing beyond the obvious. Sad, tender, whimsical, this book mines the poet's personal journey through grief for a universal look at how we as human beings handle our greatest losses. Coursing throug ...more
Published February 15th 2017 by University of Georgia Press

To ask other readers questions about Sun & Urn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun & Urn

Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
And always a hellhound be

Sun & Urn by Christopher Salerno is the winner of the Georgia Poetry Prize. Salerno resides in Caldwell, New Jersey, where he serves as associate professor in the creative writing and MFA programs at William Paterson University. He received his MA from East Carolina University and his MFA from Bennington College in Vermont.

Sun & Urn explores and expresses grief and manages to capture the healing side of nature. There is something profound bout the death of a love
Ken
Like many poetry books, this collection contains poem inspired by the death of the poet's father. It won the Georgia Poetry Prize, too, being selected by the late Thomas Lux. That's a good thing going for it!

For me, it was a mixed bag of free verse here. Some catchy lines now and again, but no single poem wowed me enough to type it here and say, "Wow! Lookee here!" But still, lines are something. As is the Georgia Poetry Prize. As is being discovered by the Light (Thomas Lux).
Gill
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, netgalley

'Sun & Urn' by Christopher Salerno

3.5 stars/ 7 out of 10

I enjoy reading poetry, and was interested to read 'Sun & Urn' by a poet who was previously unknown to me.

The book is divided into 3 parts. I preferred the poems in the first part, such as 'Is It Better Where You Are?' Poems such as this one had intricate layers, and even with several readings I feel that there is still much I don't understand.

This book by Christopher Salerno is dedicated to his late father, and many of the poems a
Marzie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for a fair review.

4.5 Stars

While not facile, Salerno's poetry echoes with the death of his father and the odd minutia following that loss and those from other relationships. But there is also the breath of hope for new growth. While some of his writing feels almost jarring (by intent, I'm sure), other poems are achingly powerful.

"You can have the opposite
of amnesia
and what
that is
is grief."

I shall ponder some of these poems and enjoy rereadin
Gary
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I found a soulful and quieting message in Sun & Urn. Not all poetry is right for everyone. Sometimes it hurts and to feel human is the best outcome. This was what I felt about Salerno's poems. Loss and grief doesn't end when the balloons fly. Nor does a misgiving give us the right to have sorrow. What is important to me is how I rationalize my own feelings about life's circumstances and I give the man a heartfelt "hell ya!" Death is a dirty little lie and I live to be a better person for tha ...more
Thirteen Ways
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to UGA for a free galley of Christopher Salerno's new book. It's really stunning in a lot of ways. Loved his last book, ATM, which is a little different than this one. Anyway, this new book is heartbreaking and I do recommend it. It's contemporary poetry, pushes the limits in some places, but some very beautiful poetry.
Alexa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent, wasn't exactly my style of poems, but I enjoyed it. Kind of flew through it, though, didn't exactly savor it.
Fiona
Sep 12, 2016 added it
Shelves: poetry
To say someone is missing is
to measure the unoccupied space.
To see not them but
because of them.

I just couldn't connect with the style of these poems. The enjambment was clever in some places, but mostly I found it too heavy for comfortable reading. Christopher Salerno has something to say, I suppose, but I couldn't decipher it among the disconnected imagery.

Probably the only poem that stood out to me was "Furnace", when the opaque imagery finally gave way to a heartbreaking conclusion. It was
Amanda Prado
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, poetry
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an hoenst review

Sun & Urn is a collection of poems centered on loss, especially the loss of the author's father. Most of the poems are heavy, clashing between distant and powerful moments, with unique imagery. Almost too unique, because I couldn't connect with a lot of the poems. There were some standouts - "Dedication" and "Sorrow, Architecture" were my favorites -, but in general the collection seemed uneven, with great passages in between
Muthuvel
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, arcs-giveaway
The Poetry of this book expresses the author's grievance of losing his father and his attempts to recuperate by his way of looking things.

I felt the author's like a new age hipster styled esoteric philosopher trying fathom some of his ideas with which only a handful were completely discerned (in my case). I guess the book isn't targeted for a wide kind versatile readers.

I'm thankful for Netgalley and University of Georgia press for this advanced review copy.
Amanda
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received an advance copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Unfortunately I didn't really connect with or really like most of the poems like I thought I would. I hate giving not so great reviews but it was only two stars for me. This book just wasn't for me, but others might enjoy it.
Wendy Davore
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved this book. The poems are contemporary and lively and I was moved by the grief on display in a lot the book. Strong and heartfelt, and also artful.

5/5 stars.
Oct 15, 2016
Apr 01, 2017
KJH
Mar 03, 2017
Christopher Salerno is the author of four books of poems and the editor of Saturnalia Books. His most recent collection is Sun & Urn, selected by Thomas Lux for the 2016 Georgia Poetry Prize (University of Georgia Press, 2017). Previous books include ATM, (Georgetown Review Poetry Prize), Minimum Heroic (2010 Mississippi Review Poetry Prize), and Whirligig (2006). He is also the author of the ...more
More about Christopher Salerno