Start by marking “Hungry For Touch: A Journey From Fear to Desire” as Want to Read:
Hungry For Touch: A Journey From Fear to Desire

Read Book* *Different edition

Hungry For Touch: A Journey From Fear to Desire

“I don’t want you to think too hard about this,” Dr. Erickson says cautiously.
But I am thinking about it. I’m thinking about how I hate to be touched, how I push men away, and how deeply afraid I am of sex. For the first time in my life I wonder why. What happened in that room that permanently stopped me from having intimate relationships?
What did I do?

When her childho
Published March 20th 2016 by Inhoe Press

To ask other readers questions about Hungry For Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry For Touch

Start your review of Hungry For Touch: A Journey From Fear to Desire
Bryony Nelson
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This book was a difficult read. I could relate to the whole problem with intimacy and touch in the aftermath of sexual assault but I personally found it hard to relate to the scenes about Peltier's inner child (but that was obvious as mine was not a childhood assault).

I really liked how she included the reader into her personal therapy sessions and also added in chapters of her life behind the scenes when the therapy was taking place. In those chapters, you really can see Peltier healing and cha
Kate
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Decent book about recovery from trauma

While the book was for the most part good, there could have been a bit less repetition around the therapy sessions. While I recognize that the repetition was a realistic representation of trauma therapy, for the reader it became a bit hard to read at times because of this.
Hannah Jemar
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it!! Impossible to put down
Badass Lioness
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough read for me. This highlights a specific form of therapy called EMDR. This account of her incest and EMDR sessions are personal, revealing, and may trigger sexual abuse victims. It gives hope as her memoir unfolds that healing is possible. After an psych ward stay and being fired from a top job, she finds a method that might allow for safety and for healing.

The title reveals the core of the problem. Laureen is hungry for touch, but she can't stand being touched by a man. She has
Jessyca Garcia
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-life
Laureen Peltier‘s book “Hungry For Touch” is a very emotional story. In this book Peltier tells how she suffered from PTSD as a result from being molested at an early age by her own father. Peltier did not remember everything that her father did until her boss sexually harassed her, which caused the memories to come back. Peltier also tells how therapy eventually helped her to learn to live and be okay with being touched by another person.

“Hungry for Touch” may not be for everyone. It could caus
Lauren
This book was very interesting and not the typical therapy story. The writer, Laureen, is a strong woman who has done what many people. She experienced sexual assault, made it through therapy, and used her story to help other people. The story is about her one year journey through therapy.

There are parts of the therapy that were different for me. EMDR is something that I have heard of, but I didn't expect it to be used in the way it was in this book. The EMDR in this book involved a lot of fant
Berni Hollinger
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent writing surrounds this book about a 37-year old young woman who is experiencing PTSD resulting from the sexual abuse of her father. As you read the story, you discover that she and her four sisters were continually molested throughout their young lives. The author's skill in involving you in the story is evident from the first chapter.

Laureen Peltier is a successful manager who experiences sexual advances from a male superior resulting in a breakdown that has her seeking psychotherapy
Nataly Trofimova
Thank you NetGalley and by Inhoe Press for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

How can you review someone’s life? How can you say “I like this, I didn’t like that”?
For me, Laureen Peltier’s life was (and is) one big HELL. First of all, I don’t understand Laureen’s mother. Is it really possible not to notice what is going on under your nose? How can mother let this monster do these horrible things with her children?
Secondly, Laureen’s therapy. Why hiding something, if you want h
Cat Parker
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this memoir through goodreads giveaways. Dr Erickson sums it up perfectly in his foreword..."This memoir is engrossing, but it is not a light read, nor is it fun." It's hard to review somebody's life. This is a true account of years of sexual abuse to Laureen and her sisters by their father. Her memoir takes us through her therapy sessions and we see as she starts to reconcile her past to be able to move forwards. It's very honest and brave. I strongly fee ...more
Jackie Rogers
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the true story of molestation by a dad. Laureen Peltier tells her story with emotion and hope. She is in her thirties and never been intimate with a man because of what her dad did to her. Also happened to her sisters, but this is hoe Laureen found a therapist that lead her to healing. I chose this book as I too am a survivor. Know there are many out here battling this same heartbreak whether by a relative or other. Will be helpful to many, but will also dredge up memories we may not wan ...more
Neil
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, biography
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
I realised this was going to be a difficult book to read due to the subject.
But I just could not relate to the author and I found the story to depressing.so was unable to finish.
Susan Walker
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is courageous true story of abuse, treatment and forgiveness by Laureen Peltier. Parts of the story are hard to get through but it is worth it. I have great admiration for the Author after reading about her story.
diana acrey
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening

I never knew why I would suddenly become sad. Now I do. Thanks laureen for sharing. I was molested or raped. Whatever I am very comfortable with my relationship now.
Maggie