Start by marking “Mail Order Bride: Katie (Orphan Brides Go West, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mail Order Bride: Katie (Orphan Brides Go West, #3)

Mail Order Bride: Katie

(Orphan Brides Go West #3)

Newly pregnant, Katie’s husband is killed in a construction accident in downtown Boston. Having lost her parents as a girl, she has to rely on her own skills to make her way. When she loses her job as well, she doesn’t know where to turn for help.

Swedish immigrant, Kristoff, owns a thriving business in California after the boom of the gold mines brought so many new
Published April 8th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Mail Order Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mail Order Bride

Start your review of Mail Order Bride: Katie (Orphan Brides Go West, #3)
Stephanie (Between the Coverz)
No matter how hard you try in the end your conscious can catch up to you. I liked how the story showed the hardships of a pregnancy to be true to what woman can experience. After the bumpy train and wagon ride, any woman would be sick especially being pregnant. This gave the story some believable moments to it.

Throughout the story there was background history and details which helps you to connect with the characters. I felt for the hardships the characters had to go through and was joyful when
Ester
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A store owner in California needs a wife, he cousin tells him about a young widow that lost her husband. Upon thinking about the lady he asked her to marry him. She went to marry him knowing he didn't know her secret that she was hiding from him. When would she tell him her secret before or after the marriage. This is a good book and I most people would like to read it.
Jane
Kristoff is a business owner in Sacramento and lonely and wants a wife, but women are scares when he is looking for a Christian woman with good morals in frontier 1880's. His cousin Hannah back in Boston has the perfect answer for him finding a bride.

Katie is a young pregnant widow in need of security for herself and her unborn child after her husband was killed in a construction accident. She takes a chance and travels to Sacramento and find Kristoff not just charming and good looking but
Heather C
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This novella was an exciting reading experience that I dove into on a whim. I knew nothing about this author or series and had not read anything mail order bride related before; so I essentially started this with no expectations. I haven’t historically read a lot of romances, but that is quickly starting to change. This is a sweet romance, so there are a couple chaste kissing scenes (with their desire for more…), but there is no dancing between the sheets here. You could feel the passion and ...more
Cynthia
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-westerns
Such pain and headache to have the love of your life with the future open before you to find out you are pregnant and that your husbands died all in the same day, on top of that you lose your job. To know you have no way to take care of yourself, pay your bills and take care of a baby with no job in sight. Your best friend talks you into marrying her cousin who lives far away knowing you can’t tell him about the baby. You are a lone in the world as you move all the way across the country to ...more
Cindy Caron
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story, telling the tale of how a woman who experiences the loss of her husband due to a work related accident on the same day she discovers she is pregnant, has been given a new hope of happiness thanks to her best friend and neighbor. Katie is floating in despair after loosing her husband Nicholas so soon after being married. To make matters worse, she suspects she is expecting a child, and wasn't even able to tell Nicholas. As long as she's working, she should be able to take ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mail Order Bride: Katie ( Orphan Brides Go West Book-3 )
By: Vivi Holt

Mail Order Bride Katie is book three in Orphan Brides Go West Series. I have not read book one and two , but I did not have any problems with the story or the characters. I love a sweet, clean, western historical romance, and that is what Vivi Holt weaves us. This is my first to read by author Vivi Holt , but hopefully it will not be my last. Katie’s husband was killed in an accident in Boston and she lost her job too. I felt
Kathy Heare Watts
LETTING GO AND LEARNING TO TRUST
I enjoyed this emotional second chance western romance. Katie Pearson goes from the overwhelming excitement of learning she and her newly husband, Nicolas, are going to have a baby to total anguish and despair of being told he has been killed in a work-related accident. With the help of a dear teacher friend and neighbor, Hannah, she is offered the chance to become a mail-order bride to Hannah’s cousin, Kristoff Petersen. The plot kept me enthralled and the pages
Carol Mcgrath
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Katie, A very good story.

Katie is planning on telling her husband, Nick, that she is pregnant, only to find out when she gets home t that he died that day as a result of a construction accident. Her friend, Hannah, is there to comfort her through the hard day's that follow. Just when Katie is prepared to tell her employer that she's pregnant her employer tells her they are moving to New York and she will not be joining them. What is she to do. She can't afford the rent so Hannah tells her to
Bhriv
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Mail Order Bride: Katie, written by Vivi Holt, is book 3 of the Orphan Brides Go West series. This is the first book I've read by this author.
I found the book to be very much like other Mail Order Bride books...honesty is a challenge is many of the cases as the brides or the grooms didn't want to be completely honest with one another because they wanted the security of marriage. This book didn't disappoint me in that aspect.
If you're looking for a deeply spiritual book, this one is not,
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

This story will have you rejoicing as the characters connect with one another and show their feelings, but you'll also have emotions of sadness as they endure hardship and struggles. In the end, honesty is always the best policy and you can't hide something forever, nor can you keep a secret even if you want to hide it or not let others know. The trials Katie goes through are tremendous, which is a reason I connected so well to the story.

Having not read the other two books in this series, I
Judy
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this historical fiction book. It helps today to remember what people went through so many years ago. We have so many modern appliances and food is so easy to get. Even with little money compared to what these people went through.

I like this story about Katie and the tragedy she went through. Her spirit was so strong, even though she was scared. I wanted to see more and more how she was going to handle the situations she was in.
She knew she had a child on the way and her sweet spirit
Dusty Summerford (Reviews by Reds)
This was my first book by Vivi Holt but it definitely won't be my last. I love a good historical read, one that makes you feel like you are in that time period. This story does exactly that. I could picture everything perfectly.

Katie lives in Boston with her husband. Tragedy strikes and she finds herself pregnant and a widow. She then finds out she has lost her job as a maid because her employers are moving. Thankfully her best friend Hanna takes her in.
Hanna has a cousin, Kristoff, in
Sandie Laughner
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Katie is a young woman who lives in Boston with her husband. She has lost so much in her young life, her parents died in an accident. Katie has just found out that she is pregnant and can't wait to tell her husband. But, before she can tell him, he's killed in a construction accident. Poor Katie!! What is she going to do now?? It seems as tho all of the cards are stacked against her. Will becoming a mail order bride be her only salvation?? Should she tell the ...more
Dot Miller
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Light "Surface" Read With Little Depth

Although there was a tale to be found in this book, the story lacked depth and the characters felt flat. I didn't notice in the description for the book that it was a Christian book or I probably wouldn't have read it in the first place. Regardless, I doubt I will read any more books in this series. For these reasons, I gave this book a 3 star rating, which to me means it's a so-so book that I won't read again, but it's not the worst book I've ever read.

I
Jennifer Robb
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like to read about mail order brides
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
A historical romance like this is very telling in showing how much women's roles in society have changed. Katie finds herself pregnant and widowed all in the same day. Still, she thinks she might make it work, until she loses her job as a maid. Thankfully, she has a friend who helps her out--but later, it seems the best option for Katie is to travel west to marry the cousin of her friend!

The conflict then comes from Katie not telling her soon-to-be-husband about her pregnancy and the
Charlotte
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC in return for an honest review. Vivi Holt brings us the 3rd bride of the Orphan Brides Go West. Katie has earlier lost her parents. Now she has just lost her husband, just found out that she is pregnant, and just lost her job. What will she do now? She decides to become a mail order bride to Kristoff in CA. She also decides to not tell Kristoff about the baby until after they are married. I could not quit reading. Vivi Holt does a good job of holding us in suspense ...more
Sandy Mckenzie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first mail order bride book I have read and I am hooked. Katies loses her husband, is pregnant and moves out west to marry a store owner (her best friend's cousin). I really enjoyed reading this, it was a short read and quite relaxing. It was however very predictable. A few secrets, and fear of what will happen when those secrets are found out. But a good read, and I will read the rest of the series.
Reader43
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Katie faces an uncertain and dangerous future

Katie has few prospects after learning she is pregnant, widowed, and unemployed, all within 24 hours. She makes a brave decision, to write a letter in response to a request for a bride. Few women who answered these ads had other choices. Vivi Holt writes with understanding and care of the plight of these women. Love the care and handling of their stories.
Kathy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Katie's husband is killed on a construction job the same day she realizes that she is pregnant. Her job disappears when her employer moves to another town. Her landlord has offered her a job entertaining gentlemen. She is frightened and alone with no income. Her friend offers her a place to stay for a while. Then her cousin in SAN Francisco writes that he would like a wife so she suggests her friend Katie.
Marlene
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very nice story...

This is a story of sorrow over the loss of a husband, joy in the discovery of pregnancy and stressful heartache of looking for a way to live in safety. Katie thanks her friends and God for a new life far from Boston. It's a nice story to be enjoyed by anyone of any age.
Dee Doyle
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Trust.

I enjoyed Katie Pearson 's story. After Nickolas' death, Katie faced an uncertain future. Taking a chance by agreeing to marrying a man she didn't know, Katie found that being honest was the only way to ensure her future and that of her unborn child. Truly a wonderful story.
Karen
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Sweet story of widowed Katie moving west to make a family with her friend Hannah's cousin Kristoff. Katie's husband Nickolas died in a construction accident in Boston and Katie has no where to go. Her friend Hannah takes her in and then sends a letter to her cousin to see if he would make it a match. Katie is worried that her pregnancy will interfere.
Mark Mcdaniel
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I so wanted to like this book!

I wanted to like this book I really did, but, unfortunately it suffers from the problems that are endemic to most of this genre. The plot is so thin as to be non-existent, and the characters are uninteresting. This is not to say that the book is a total loss,. The book is clean which will appeal to mothers with young children!
Mary Longoria
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mail Order brides: Katie

Good read, clean interesting twists and turns. Relaxing story, love friendships, characters and loyalty. Recommend for all ages. Grab a cup of tea, guick read.
Rachelle Bishop
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

I truly felt for her. I cried and laughed. I felt the emotions that was meant vivi did absolutely amazing getting the emotions across. What an awesome ending. Can't wait for more!!
Renea Westlyn
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Honesty is the best policy

I enjoyed this sweet story. I'm thankful characters and real people both have fears without them stories would be far too short!
Cassey
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not for me. But for those who like love happens quickly tales.
Glaidene Ramsey
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Historical Western Romance

5 star's for Viv Holt's book Katie. I really liked this story and I hope you will enjoy readers it too!!!!!!!
Patsy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short sweet western romance novella, Katie Pearson is pregnant alone in Boston in 1870. Her husband, Nickolas died in an accident at work, the same day she found out she was going to have a baby. Will Kistroff lives in California, owns a business but needs a companion to share his life and love with. Katie's friend, Hannah in Boston was his cousin and she got them to write to each other. After a couple of letters Kristroff send her a one-way train ticket, and wants to marry her as soon as she ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• New Beginnings (Cutter's Creek #2)
  • Effie (Cowboys and Debutantes, #1)
  • Western Bride (Copper Kings Book 1)
  • Mail Order Mayhem (Brides of Beckham, #1)
  • Mail Order Brides of Texas ( A Five Book Set Plus a Bonus Book)
  • Wagon Train Baby (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #1)
  • Amelia, An Autumn Bride (A Brides For All Seasons Novel)
  • Mail Order Prairie Bride (Dodge City Brides, #1)
  • The Chef's Mail Order Bride (Wild West Frontier Brides #1)
  • Sarah and the Doctor (Prairie Tales, #1)
  • The Elusive Wife (Marriage Mart Mayhem #1)
  • How to Capture a Duke (Matchmaking for Wallflowers, #1)
  • RNWMP: Bride for Easton (Mail Order Mounties, #11)
  • Love on the Prairie (McKinnie Mail Order Brides #1)
  • Waiting on Waylon (Cowboys and Angels, #6)
  • Lillie's Lie: Montana Mail order Brides (Brides of Bedford Series Book 1)
  • RNWMP: Bride for Nolan (Mail Order Mounties, #3)
  • Mail Order Mama (Brides of Beckham, #2)
Vivi Holt writes inspirational romance. Of her books, readers say:

"The plot kept me enthralled and the pages turning"
"I cried and laughed"
"What an awesome ending. Can't wait for more!!"

Vivi lives in beautiful Brisbane, Australia with her husband and three young children. Growing up on a farm she learned to love the country life and now she writes about it in her books. History has always

Orphan Brides Go West (4 books)
  • Christy (Orphan Brides Go West #1)
  • Mail Order Bride: Ramona (Orphan Brides Go West, #2)
  • Holly (Orphan Brides Go West #4)