Start by marking “White Hart (White Hart, #1)” as Want to Read:
White Hart (White Hart, #1)

White Hart

(White Hart #1)

In a land where magic has withered for centuries, Mae Waylander is the last magic wielder in Aegunlund. She is the craft-born. But Mae has kept her true identity hidden from the world, and she's not about to reveal her secret. Not when the King is searching for the craft-born to marry his heir, Prince Casimir.

In Mae's town of Halts-Walden, the ambitious miller claims his d
Kindle Edition, Alternate Cover Edition, 394 pages
Published February 20th 2014

To ask other readers questions about White Hart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Hart

Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Exciting, magical, heartbreaking, fantasy, responsibility

Sarah Dalton is one of my favourite authors for a reason. I have never once failed to be seriously impressed by what I've read. All of her books have made me stop and think, and White Hart is no exception.

Even if I hadn't known the author - it's a certainty that I will pick up anything by Sarah Dalton - that cover would have compelled me to read it. Have you ever seen anything so gorgeous?

I wasn't sure whether I liked Mae at first
Isa Lavinia

ARC provided by the author through Netgalley

Mae and her father gather wood from the edge of the Waerg Woods. Poor, dark-skinned, and supposedly tainted by the woods' curse, they live as pariahs in Halts-Walden.

Mae is the craft-born, the one whose nature-connected magic can revive the kingdom - only Mae has to try her hardest to keep her powers secret, for the King has decreed that the craft-born shall marry his son, Prince Casimir.

It seems Mae is in luck: Ellen, the miller's daughter, pretends
(Source: Downloaded for free during the Smashwords sale.)

There was nothing obviously wrong with this book; I just didn’t find it interesting.
I knew from quite early on that I wasn’t going to like this. I couldn’t connect with the characters, and didn’t really care what happened to them. The story didn’t pull me in, and I got bored. The initial storyline of Mae being special, but her family not wanting her to be taken by the prince reminded me of something else that I had read (I can’t remember w
Kirstie Ellen
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Initial Thoughts on Finishing
This was actually so good! I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this book - it's a wicked tale of adventure with intriguing characters and an outcome that you WON'T see coming. I loved Mae so much, she's such a great character and I seriously cannot wait to pick up book two and continue the story!!

White Hart by Sarah Dalton
So this book surprised me with how awesome it was, let’s start with that. There is exactly one reason why I decided to pick this one up
Stuti T
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, arc
3.5/5

This review was also featured on my blog.

White Hart had both the good and the bad, but I think that overall it was a satisfying and fun read. The story follows Mae, an outcast in her small hometown because she and her father hang around the enchanted forest – the Waerg Woods – too much. Mae is craft-born, meaning she was born with magic, but she knows the king wants to marry off a craft-born to his heir. So she keeps her abilities a secret and waits for the day that Ellen, the miller’s daug
Marjolein
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I really liked the cover, it is simple yet effective, because people do judge a book on it's cover (at least if they don't know anything else about it).

Mae is -secretly- the craftborn, the one person in the realm who has the ability to restore magic to its former glory (and will marry the crown prince). Mae is a poor girl,
Gardavson
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A

Quite enjoyable. A very simple formula, but it worked and worked well. The characters grew as the book worked through each chapter and each part of the forest. Off to the next!
Melissa
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this adventure...I mean book... free from the author in exchange for an honest review

What awaits us in the forest?

White Hart by Sarah Dalton is the adventure of Mae Waylander, AKA White Hart. Mae doesn't want anyone to know her secret, but when tragedy strikes and vengeance is her only friend, she makes a decision that changes her life. She decides to hunt. With her white stag, a prince, and her limited knowledge of the magic-ridden Waerg Woods, Mae begins her journey.

In the spirit o
Madison
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~5⭐~ ...more
Bryony
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review was originally posted on my blog, Paperbacks & Protagonists.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

The beginning of White Hart had me intrigued by page one. I loved the concept of the Waerg Woods, and although Mae and Casimir experienced many evils whilst on their travels, there was something enchanting about the whole idea.

Mae is an outcast in the tiny village of Halts-Walden, a village that is far remove
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Thanks to Netgalley and Sarah Dalton for giving me this book to review.

There is only one craft-born every generation and because the realm needs magic again the king has said that the next craft-born has to marry his son Prince Casimir. Mae is the craft-born but does not want to be a princess instead she wants be with her father and someday have adventures, when Ellen another girl from her small town claims she is t
Jenika Ioffreda
May 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Free download from Kindle. The book started really well, a potential four stars or even more. The world building was very convincing and well done, the heroine seemed an interesting and quite deep character, the plot catchy... but the more I was going on with the story the more I lost interest. Various things left me with a "wtf?" feeling that took me away from the story: the "romance" or the interest of the heroine for prince Cas wasn't developed nicely at all, the interest-mooning of prince Ca ...more
Lynxx
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps an engaging read for a younger audience, but simplistic dialogue, stagnant character development, and an ill-paced and inconsistent narrative will likely put off more advanced readers.

To be fair to White Hart, it started off strong with an interesting premise and unique story element, namely Anta, the white stag (who, disappointingly, didn't seem to have much purpose or significance to the plot). I'm also a big fan of the traditional fantasy setting, and Dalton does well to build an earl
Tamara Hull
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was slow to get going but persevere, the second and third books are great!

I liked how Mae's capabilities evolved through the story, she started off with the skills needed to survive in the forest but as time went on grew and adapted. It felt genuine to me, that a 16 year old girl completely isolated might react the way she did.

I really like Casimir as a person too, he comes across as pompous as you would expect but very quickly proves his worth and wears his heart on his sleeve. His relation
Kim
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was way better than what I had expected. I got this for free from Amazon and as always with a free book you don't really know what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised. This book and its world immediately drew me in and it didn't take me long to finish this story.

I liked the characters and the setting. I'm also a fan of the magic system: the connection with nature, both plants and animals, like the special bond Mae has with her stag, Anta (I must admit that I downloaded this
Lindsey Roberts
Original Review Here

Despite being my usual genre, White Hart was a disappointment.

It’s a YA fantasy about a young girl with hidden powers. It’s a coming of age story as Mae learns about who she is, finds love and friendship in unexpected places and has to grow up if she is to survive.

Mae misses her potential, especially as a main character. She is powerful: her magic connects to nature and is entwined with the fate of the kingdom. But she seems to conveniently remember about her power at odd tim
Michael Wood
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly Fantastic "Coming of Age" in a World Seeking Magic

This is a very good novel, and Sarah Dalton weaves a magical tale of a poor girl on the cusp of womanhood. Dalton includes struggle, almost constant action, a shy, unrequited love, and of course, the White Hart.
Mae returns from the woods to find her father murdered and one of the other village girls kidnapped. Things get much worse...can she survive?...can she succeed? It appears that she may be the only person who can restore balance to a
a u d r e y ♥
ashbagash28
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good cliffhanger annoying love plot

I enjoyed the main plot of this story. Strong willed heroine who tells the prince how it is.
But oh my gosh they’re freaking like thirteen and thinking they’re in love and they’ll never love again and they’ll be so heart broken. Like really. Grow up.
However. The ending cliffhanger was really good and I’ll be honest. I can’t wait to find out why/how it happened.
Susan Lower
A good teen read with cliff hanger ending

Nothing annoys me more than getting to the end of a book to find a cliffhanger that forces you to have to buy and read the next book just to finish the first. So really skip this one and just buggy the box set. Intended for a younger audience like middle grade or teen. A fun adventure filled with conflicting teen emotions.
Minga Dotson
The story leaves you hanging. I really dislike books like this.

The story is well written, a strong female lead who has been hiding her heritage. There are results to this in the loss of her father, and she will not get the Prince because he believes it is another who has her power, and so ignores her even when she saves him repeatedly. Not a happy story at all.
Rachel Russell
This was a very interesting, quick read. White Hart does have a magical twist, a genre that I am new to and this was a really good introduction for me. Twists a lot of traditional themes to give the story a really good pace, not entirely sure I would read the next one in the series. But I would read more from this author in the future.
Stacey Raymond
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book all the way up until the end... and because of the way this book ended I have no desire to read more of this. It seems like a never ending story that can't get any better when the way the book left off.
Krista
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

Some of the characters point out the different tropes that the main character struggles with which was interesting. I'm trying to figure out if it represents the characters ages correctly. We shall see what happens.
Takiyah Dudley
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

An interesting tale, & as good as I expected. The characters are intriguing and the story draws you in. The ending is a surprise which makes it almost mandatory to finish the series.
Gia✨
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty surprising
Anjillica Navarro
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very surprising read. I enjoyed it a lot and I am looking forward to finishing the series.
Judy Reardigan
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good story, but it leaves you hanging at the end. I have to read Book 2 to find out what happens to our heroine.
Beth Wilson
Good

This is a good fractured fairy tale! I enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading more books in this series.
Jeff Cadoff
A Good Theme

The idea is interesting. The writing, though stilted, conveys a nice twist on an old theme. A good starter YA book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
FREE YA BOOKS!: Free YA Fantasy 1 22 Dec 18, 2015 07:45AM
Digital Book Buck...: Free fantasy novel 1 13 Dec 18, 2015 06:58AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: White Hart (White Hart #1) by Sarah Dalton - Starting April 25th 2014 17 20 Apr 27, 2014 05:49AM

• Rex Cresting (Elei's Chronicles, #2)
  • By Blood (By Blood, #1)
  • TaleSpins
  • Otherborn (Otherborn, #1)
  • The Dream Keeper (Dream Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Strange Metamorphosis
  • Bound (The Guardians, #1)
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)
  • Auvreria
  • Candlewax
  • The Warble (The Bernovem Chronicles Book 1)
  • Keeper of Reign (Reign #1)
  • Del Ryder and the Crystal Seed (Del Ryder, #1)
  • The Bagman (The Abigail Cobble Trilogy, #1)
  • Midway (The Harvesting, #1.5)
  • Wings of Nestor (Solus, #3)
  • Keep in a Cold, Dark Place
  • Miss Landon and Aubranael (Tales of Aylfenhame #1)
Sarah grew up in the middle of nowhere in the countryside of Derbyshire and as a result has an over-active imagination. She has been an avid reader for most of her life, taking inspiration from the stories she read as a child, and the novels she devoured as an adult.

Sarah mainly writes speculative fiction for a Young Adult audience and has had pieces of short fiction published in the Medulla Liter

White Hart (3 books)
  • Red Palace (White Hart, #2)
  • Black Crown (White Hart, #3)
“When you live on the edge of a cursed forest, you do a lot of staring into the dark.” 5 likes
“We are not always shaped by our parents, Cas. We're shaped by our choices.” 2 likes