Start by marking “Duels and Deception” as Want to Read:
Duels and Deception

Duels and Deception

Miss Lydia Whitfield, heiress to the family fortune, has her future entirely planned out. She will run the family estate until she marries the man of her late father's choosing, and then she will spend the rest of her days as a devoted wife. Confident in those arrangements, Lydia has tasked her young law clerk, Mr. Robert Newton, to begin drawing up the marriage contracts. ...more
Published April 11th 2017 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Duels and Deception, please sign up.
Cindy Anstey Duels & Deception is a stand alone, set in 1817 just outside of Bath.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
This book was totally cute. I'm realizing more and more how much I'm missing out on by not incorporating more regency romance into my diet.

I think what I loved most were the array of personalities and the humor, though I'm a huge sucker for this time period. I always crack up on how scandalous things like "escorting a lady" or "showing a bit of ankle" were back then.

The first half of the story was really fun. Lydia meets Robert in the first few pages - Lydia being a wealthy land owner and Robe
Alyssa

Duels and Deception by Cindy Anstey
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication Date: April 11, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Stacee
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Cindy's other book, so I was pretty excited to read this one, even though I had no idea what it was about.

I loved Lydia. She's head strong and stands up for herself and looks out for her friends. Robert is a good man and a hard worker and the two of them together was delightful.

The plot was amusing and I was engaged the entire time. I enjoyed the aspect of not trusting anyone and was surprised at who was behind everything.

Overall, it was a quick and fun read. The only downfall was that
Lonna | FLYLēF
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
IN WHICH I was slowly smitten...

Duels and Deception, by Cindy Anstey, is not something I would usually pick up, but I found myself enjoying this lighthearted, romantic comedy of the subtle exploration of courtship and unexpected love.

Beautiful Lydia Whitfield, heiress to the family fortune, has her entire future planned out—including whom she will marry. Dashing Robert Newton, law clerk to the Whitfield family, has been tasked to draw up her marriage contracts. Lydia’s carefully laid plans soon
Eryn
2.5

Well, this was quite dull - and beyond predictable. No thank you.

Okay, so I won't say I liked this book from the beginning - because I didn't. Frankly, I found it boring from the first chapter, however, because I pre-ordered it, I was determined to enjoy it .... Unfortunately, I couldn't really do that.

First of all, Lydia is not your typical 19th century lady - she's strong and snarky - which is fine....if it's done well. To me, she just came off as an annoying character when she tried to be
Rebekah
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anyone who like the Jane Austen era or type books will need to pick this book us! With everything fun and awesome with that era of manners and traditions, it makes for a perfect setting for a fun, cute story.

Here we have our main female character Miss Lydia Whitfield who is running her family's estate, she is smart and not in the least bit a damsel in distressed. She is engaged to a Lord. But, what's that got to do with anything, right? HA! Her uncle and land agent however, think otherwise. I re
Claire
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, e-book, romance
Cute, romantic and quirky, Duels and Deception is an excellent addition to Cindy Anstey's roster of published works. Our MCs, Lydia and Robert, are sweet and engaging, the story quick and lovely. The witty dialogue will keep you laughing, the romance will keep you reading. If you enjoyed Love, Lies and Spies, you'll love Duels and Deception.
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Full review on the blog!

On the rarest of occasions, I’ll come across a book that makes me chuckle to myself with the sheer level of charm. And then immediately look up to make sure no one saw. We wouldn’t want them to think me soft…I have an image to protect, after all.

Duels and Deception is one of those rare books that I would happily define as adorable. Combine a comedy of manners, some YA regency romance, and a dash of mystery – and you’ll have yourself a lovely little book. Right off let it
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Well, this book was utterly charming. I read a lot of adult historical fiction novels, and I usually love when the characters flout societal norms for a risqué tête-à-tête...or two. But in this case, I was happy to see the young gentleman acting so gallantly and in defense of the main character's reputation.

It's difficult to imagine h
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

Anstey's previous book, Love, Lies, and Spies was one of my favourite books of last year. I adore anything to do with the Regency Era and Anstey completely understood the era and how to create a fantastic plot line. I had high hopes for Duels & Deception, and was not disappointed.

Duels & Deception sees Lydia as the mistress of her own household, but because she is a girl, she doesn't ha
Danya
This review and others can be found on my blog, Fine Print.

Charming and sweet, Cindy Anstey’s DUELS AND DECEPTIONS is an outrageously clever YA historical fiction that’s perfect for fans of slow burn romance and whip-smart dialogue. I liked it so much that the second I finished reading, I grabbed a copy of Anstey’s first book; she’s an auto-buy author for me now!

Miss Lydia Whitfield is an heiress unlike most her age: she cares more for the productivity of her estate and its crops than she does f
Cathy
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a hoot. The author perfectly captures the style of Jane Austen down to the chapter summaries (‘In which a carriage should not have been ordered and an apology has unseen consequences’), the period phrases (such as ‘doing it up too brown’ to mean doing something well) and the sly wit and humour:

‘With a gasp, Lydia sat up in a dizzy stupor and came perilously close to issuing a most undignified scream. Had her training at Miss Melvina’s Finishing School for Young Ladies been anything buy
Kelly
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a wonderful read! I loved Cindy Anstey's first book, LOVE, LIES AND SPIES and read it when it was first up on Swoon Reads. I am so thrilled to have snuck an early look at the equally delightful, wonderfully unique Duels and Deception.

I didn't think she could top LL&S, but I may even like our hero and heroine more this time around. It's too close to really say, but I so enjoyed our pragmatic duo, with their love of "precise" arrivals. I highly recommend picking this up next year!
mith
you can read this review HERE as well!
---
Last year, when I read Anstey's debut, Love, Lies & Spies, I was both charmed and hooked. The adorable little historical rom-com was just what I need and had me staying up on a school night to finish it. So when it came to this novel, I was beyond excited!

The thing is... it didn't quite feel the same? I mean, I didn't expect it to be because it was about a different cast of characters. Still, though, once I started this book, it had a similar feel to
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Duels and Deception was SO FREAKING CUTE. I constantly had a smile on my face while I was reading this book. This book had action, mystery, romance, humor, and so much more.

The two main characters of this book, Robert and Lydia, were adorable. I loved them as a couple and as individual characters. Robert was a cutie pie who was kind and dedicated. I found myself falling in love with him from the first chapter. Lydia was hilarious with her headstrong personality. I enjoyed watching her stand up
Morris
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reviews
I feel like I am the wrong person to review “Duels & Deception.” It definitely seems like this is a case of “it isn’t the book; it’s me.” The budding romance featured is cute and the historical elements are fascinating. It’s also a very clean book for those looking for one, which is not very easy to find. The flowery prose just seemed to grate on me and kept me from enjoying it. If this seems like the type of book you will enjoy, please give it a try. Don’t let my dislike sway you.

This unbia
Scrill
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Received an ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group via Netgalley for a fair review.

“Chivalry and good manners were all well and good in a ballroom. However, being on a lonely road while rushing away from villainous villains was neither the time nor the place for excessive decorum.”

What a delightful story! Fans of regency romances will find romance, comedy, and even a little mystery and intrigue in this novel.

Duels and Deception is told from alternating points of views we are given a ri
Amy
It is very appropriate that this book was published by Swoon Reads because I can't think of a more appropriate adjective: this book was swoon worthy. It was fluffy, funny, witty, and had an adorable romance. What is not to love?
I seriously considered giving this one 5 stars but the ending was too predictable. Still, I loved how clean the romance was, how adorable the couple got, and how absolutely swoon worthy Robert was. Definetely fictional crush material.
Cora Tea Party Princess
DNF at 21%

This was good but wasn't gripping me. I'm a mood reader and this just isn't what I'm in the mood for right now.

Perfect for fans of historical fiction, but honestly felt much more like a Mills & Boon Regency than YA, despite a lack of sexy-times.
Wing-yee (bibliomeds)
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a super cute read. If you're into regency romance, along with a fast-paced plot setting in beautiful England, you'll definitely enjoy this novel. The things I loved most about this book were the dual perspectives, the sense of humour, and array of personalities of each of the characters. The way people conversed during this time period is very fascinating to me, and I simply love the fact that the author did a fair amount of historical research as the authenticity of the era was very sp ...more
Aneta Bak
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Duels and Deception was a great read. The main characters are amazing, the world building is great and the plot line will keep you entertained.

Lydia Whitfield must do everything she can to keep her father's land from her greedy uncle, who will plummet the profit of the family. When Lydia devises a plan, along with a lawyer called Robert Newton, to finalize Lydia's marriage early to Lord Aldershot, in order to inherit her estate faster. But on her way to meet Robert to sign the marriage papers, L
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I found "Duel & Deception" to be a really cute read and am so glad I picked it up. Lydia's father passed away a few years ago and although she is not quite 18 yet, she is basically in charge of the family estate. While her drunken uncle has been named executor until she becomes of age, he is the brightest of chaps and left alone, would quickly run the estate into the ground. Lydia is set to marry Lord Ashterton, a neighbor who doesn't necessarily have the money, but does hold the status, and ...more
Michelle

Cindy Anstey has done it again! Love, Lies and Spies was one of my favorite books of 2016. And now Duels and Deception is one of my favorite reads of 2017! I just love Cindy's books. Duels and Deception is a companion novel, set in the same time period as Love Lies and Spies. So while you do not need to read Love Lies and Spies to understand Duels and Deception, both of these books are seriously so good that you need
Leah
Although Duels and Deceptions doesn't feature any surprises or plot twists that caught me off-guard, I was more than okay with that. Going in, you know what's going to happen, how the ending will play out, and I was delighted to go along for the ride. The villains get their comeuppance, the romance is insanely adorable, and the writing was incredibly easy-breezy. Duels and Deceptions is a perfect summer read and I'm thrilled to have gotten my hands on a copy! I'm even more excited that Anstey ha ...more
Aila
Absolutely adorable!

I read and enjoyed this author's previous work, Love, Lies and Spies, but I enjoyed this one more! Anstey is back with quirky and lovable characters, a predictable but nevertheless fun mystery, a sweet and slow-burning romance, and witty dialogue that is sure to make a reader crack up in laughter.

Review to come.
Lona
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Left off on page 229.

This book was just okay. Not a whole lot of tension, but it definitely had some cute and humorous moments. I was unable to finish it due to having to return it to the library, but again, I was kind of bored and not super invested in the ending so I did not mind.
Erin Arkin

I really loved Cindy Anstey’s Love, Lies, and Spies so when I found out she had a new book called Duels and Deceptions, of course I had to get my hands on it. I love historical romance and this book was exactly what I was looking for.

Lydia Whitfield is the main character and I loved her. Growing up in a time where women are supposed to be quiet, marry, and let the men make all the decisions, Lydia stands out as she is smart, decisive, and pretty much has her future planned out. Her plan
Apr 14, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Thank you very much to Swoon Reads and Netgalley for providing a copy of the novel in exchange for an honest review.

This is my first DNF review! I feel a little bad writing this because I usually try my hardest to finish a disappointing book, but I’m trying something a little different this year.

DNF @ 34%

I very much wanted to like this book.

I was utterly charmed by Cindy Anstey’s Love, Lies and Spies and was expecting another whimsical, Pride and Prejudice-esque type novel. Instead, I was
Gabriela
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was so cute!!!! I live for historical fiction books, and if they are give me a romantic story set in the 1800's in England ... IM SOLD. It was exactly the type of story I was hoping for: a light, romantic and fast read with an "Austen-ish" feel. The characters were amazing, I have a new book boyfriend and yes, I highly recommend this one!
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Lacey
Cover Story: Quatrefoil
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 3
Talky Talk: Doing It Up Too Brown
Bonus Factor: Girls In Pants
Relationship Status: Marriage Of Convenience

Read the full book report here.
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Traveler (Traveler, #1)
  • Retribution Rails (Vengeance Road, #2)
  • The Darkness Knows (Viv and Charlie Mystery #1)
  • Daughter of the Burning City
  • Cold Summer
  • Glitter (Glitter #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Long May She Reign
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • Wait for Me
  • Love and First Sight
  • The Phoenix Requiem Volume Four
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
Whenever she is not sitting at the computer, throwing a ball in the backyard, gardening or reading, Cindy can be found--actually, not found--adventuring around the world with her hubby.

She has lived on three continents, had a monkey in her yard and a scorpion under her sink, dwelt among castles and canals, enjoyed the jazz of Beale St and attempted to speak French.

Cindy loves history, mystery an
“Might as well take the bull by the horns. Tomorrow it is."
Lydia watched Lord Aldershot wend his way out of the garden, taking the west gate to the stables. She wasn't too sure that she liked that analogy. A bull? Was she the bull or its horns? Neither sounded flattering.”
3 likes
“I have come to a conclusion.” Lydia tried to stifle a yawn.
“Have you, indeed?”
“Yes. I have decided that I do not like adventures or surprises. Highly overrated.”
Robert’s soft chuckle drifted through the dark.
“More of a misadventure, my dear Lydia, and certainly not a surprise, which are generally thought of as pleasant things. No, best label today a shocking misadventure and not rule out surprises altogether.”
“My father thought them overrated, too.”
“What? Surprises? No, no. Surprises are unexpected guests, a beautiful flower among the rocks, or a woodland trail that opens up to an astonishing vista.”
“Lovely when you put it that way, but there are some surprises that are not pleasant in the least.” Lydia’s thoughts remained fixed on her father. “Hence my lack of appreciation.”
2 likes