Start by marking “In the Country of Shadows (Exit Unicorns, #4)” as Want to Read:
In the Country of Shadows (Exit Unicorns, #4)

In the Country of Shadows (Exit Unicorns, #4)

From the author of the award-winning Flights of Angels comes the fourth book in the Exit Unicorns series.

It is the winter of 1975 in Northern Ireland and the Troubles are at their darkest hour. Casey Riordan is missing and Jamie Kirkpatrick has just returned home from two years in a Russian gulag.
Desperate to find her missing husband, Pamela Riordan makes a devil’s barga
Published March 17th 2016 by Starry Night Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Country of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Country of Shadows

The Literary Connoisseur
If you are in need of actual physical proof that author Cindy Brandner is an expert in the art of storytelling, look no further than her latest piece of literature, In the Country of Shadows.
In the Country of Shadows is the fourth installment of the Exit Unicorns series, so I promise not to give too much away (my book reviews are all spoiler-free anyway), but I will say that tensions are high, and broken hearts cannot be so easily mended.
When I started In the Country of Shadows, I was pleased
Rainingrebecca
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series gets better and better with each book. Cindy Brandner is incredibly talented and, honestly, I can't really find fault in this book. It has just the right balance of mystery, suspense, romance and action. When I was about half finished with the novel, I couldn't believe how many story lines she had opened up and she ties everything together beautifully by the end. I could not put this book down.

I have been waiting for this book since I devoured the third one last August, and this did
Sue
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm so frustrated! I was in such a hurry to finish (well, not THAT much of a hurry since it took me so long to finish it. When I get home from work in the morning, I'm too tired to read more than a few pages). And now that I'm finished, I feel lost. Another cliff-hanger ending.
I loved it, I love the characters, I feel their joy, their sorrows, their pain, and their love, all through your beautiful prose. I can see the lovely panoramic beauty of Ireland and the not so pretty underbelly and back
Briana
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I gave this four stars because I am invested in the characters and really like the writing style and story, but my goodness the characters make some TERRIBLE decisions. From a love triangle to a love square? Expect no resolution to the complicated relationships or heart ache from this book. I am just disappointed I have to wait for the next one!
Karen
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, brilliant! This is THE BEST kind of book series, where each book just seems to trump the last. Not that they all haven't been FANTASTIC. How rare to stumble upon an author who captivates you like Cindy Brandner with prose that draws you in with all your senses. In the Country of Shadows, we walk with the same cast of characters…Pamela, Casey, Jamie, Patrick…but we also get introduced to a few new members, who steal your heart in ways you never thought possible. No spoilers he ...more
Felicia
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best series I've read in a long time

I love this series more than I thought I would initially. What a cliffhanger ending on this one. I want to read the next one now. I suppose I have to wait until it is written though. Wonderfully written and impossible to put down!
Keyleigh Hennessy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
I love this series! in some ways this book was my favorite, and in others it was my least favorite. At times it seemed almost as if the author had a great idea for another story and made it fit somehow into this book. Don't let that discourage you though. I am still oh-so-impatiently awaiting the next book. It cannot come fast enough!
Aynne McAvoy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I soooo love this series!!

This is such a well written well researched series! I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Her words just sing off the pages. I am an author too and I simply cannot heap the praise high enough for this writer. I have recommended her to friends to read, especially one that lived in Ireland during the troubles
Lora Sargent
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is riveting, moving and emotional. I did not want it to end, but could not stop reading. If you love books that carry you away from this land, then this book is one to read. I hope there is more for these characters, I feel shorted by the ending. My husband laughed when I yelled, "no!" at the end. Great book, Great series, and wonderful author.
Kim
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh!!

I love this series of books however the plot of this one dragged out for too long and aahhh I'm frustrated with the end. I know there will probably be another book but this is NOT how I want to be left .
Pam
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful and terrible! Another cliffhanger.
Geri
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL SERIES!

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this series, and regretfully it has ended. I would like to see another book!!! Put Casey and Pamela back together,please!
Drew
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 but I will round up! Enjoyed the continuation of the story. Of course, there is enough unresolved to merit another book!
Jane Braem
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I WANT MORE!!!!!!!!

It's hard for me to verbalize how much I love this series of books. I simply could not put them down. I am a huge Outlander fan, and the Exit Unicorn series is right up there as far as the quality of writing and story line. I highly recommend them. The ending of book 4 leaves me to hope for a book 5. PLEASE?
Jen Webster
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't delved into the world of Exit Unicorns, then you are missing out on an epic work of art!! I started reading the first book 3 different times before I got to the halfway point early last year. After that, I was transported into the world of the characters of this phenomenal series. I then read books 2 and 3 respectively consuming over 2000 pages of literary genius in only 3 short months. This was not good, as this book, book four "In the Country of Shadows" wasn't going to be relea ...more
Christina
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bonnie Staughton
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"In the Country of Shadows" is the 4th book in the "Exit Unicorns" series. Cindy Brandner is an absolutely wonderful author. All of her books in this series have been extraordinary. Her descriptions of the Irish countryside, Irish homes and the horrible time for the people in Belfast are right on the mark. The choices Pamela has to make to keep herself sane and her children safe are not always the wisest but she does what she has to do. Jamie, Patrick and Casey are all back and bringing their ow ...more
Shiloh G
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
What an ending! What a book! I have just finished because I had to reread the other 4 books first before I could start this one. I honestly do not know how a book can make me feel so many different feelings in so short of a time. I laughed out loud, I cried... a few times, I had to put the book down I was so angry, I was scared, not to mention a few other emotions as well. All I know is that if Jamie is half as good of a story teller that Cindy is I would listen to his stor
Gayle Warren
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cindy has wonderful prose and description in her writing, something that's quite refreshing in today's market. I especially enjoy her character development. I'm not usually one for reading an entire series-in fact, I think I've read 5 or 6 in my entire life. So, when one comes a long, I'm fascinated by what it takes to keep my attention long enough to finish it. This 4th book is one of her best. Without completely spoiling the plot for future readers and granted, I wanted to throw the book direc ...more
Sallie
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the Country of Shadows, Cindy Brandner’s fourth book in the Exit Unicorns series, is edgy, unflinching and heart-wrenching. In many respects, this is Pamela’s story. Faced with Casey’s disappearance and Jamie’s return to Ireland, she is forced to make difficult decisions to protect herself and her family. To what lengths will she go to find out what happened to Casey? How long can she hold on to the slim hope that he is still alive? And, if so, where is he – and why? What about Jamie? How wil ...more
Cenie Evans
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Big cliffhanger at end!!! Argh!!!! I just love this series. This book/series will have you laughing/crying/swooning/and downright 'can't put down' action. Anyone who has read and enjoyed Diana Gabaldon will, I think, love this series as well. It even has a Jamie. Not only is there the mystery and suspense, romance, action, and a little mystic/spiritual vibe there is also the Irish history as a backdrop.. Cindy Brandner has gone to great lengths to provide a factual account of the war ...more
Isabelle
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this was my favorite book in the Exit Unicorns series. I felt like I was on the inside of the story and not just a reader. I am always happy to spend time with Jamie and this book is perfect. I think I needed time alone with Casey to really appreciate him and I finally did! What I mean by alone time is that this time it was just him, not him and Pamela. I feel like I've finally know him better. Lovely book, I can't wait for the next. Cindy Bradner is a wonderful writer! <3
Cate Ness
Wowza -emotional rollercoaster

I love each and every book in this series, and this book - so full of twists and turns- is just as wonderful as it's predecessors. Heartbreaking and lovely in turn, if you enjoy books with a lot of substance and complex character development, you will not be disappointed. But read them in order. The cliffhanger ending left me feeling bittersweet, and I am impatient for the next installment.
Lisa Carlson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Cindy Brander's writing style. I also connected very strongly with the characters and their dilemmas. Next to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series I think this is one of my favorites. It is all encompassing: history, drama, human emotion, violence (sadly), love (gladly), magic, dynamic action, so it's an I-can't-wait-till-the-next-book-comes-out read.
Darenda Marvin
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! The best in the series so far. I was sad after finishing because I don't know how I will wait for the next installment. I never go to sleep without reading, but, last night I couldn't bring myself to read anything else as I knew it would just be a disappointment after this beautiful story.
cindy hackney
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

This is the second time I have read this book and I can't wait for the next. cindy Brandner had me in tiers more than once. Poor Pamela just one thing after another happens to that poor woman.....some terrible times and some lovely times. She needs Casey o come back is what she needs. Then poor Jamie, is the same way. You have to read this series it is just fantastic!
Zan Marie Steadham
This is the fourth in Brandner's "Exit Unicorns" series. A complicated plot reveals more of the duplicitous violence in the history of Ireland. This installment continues the story of Pamela and Casey Riordan and their friend James Kirkpatrick.
Angela
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful fourth installment to this series! Something I particularly love about this author's writing is that she manages to have extremely interesting characters and keep the story going at an exciting pace at the same time.
Jackie
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by Cindy! The fourth book in her Exit Unicorns series. I absolutely love her books! She has a way of telling a story that makes you feel you are right there with the characters. Already waiting on the next book, in the meantime I will definitely be rereading these.
Julie
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ummm...just WOW!

This story pulled me right in like a dear friend I hadn't seen in years! Laughed and cried and savored every word! Didn't want it to end and I'm ready for more! I love well written stories!
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)
  • Mistaken
  • The Women of Magnolia
  • Rebel Hearts: Journeys Within the IRA's Soul
  • A Bitter Veil
  • The Dark
  • Act of Will
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
  • Long Summer Day (Horseman Riding By Trilogy #1)
  • Tindr (Circle of Ceridwen Saga #5)
  • Stir-Fry
  • My Dream of You
  • A Hand In Love and Murder (Fire In My Heart, #4)
  • A Swift Pure Cry
  • Through the Maelstrom
  • The Silence of Trees
  • Romancing Miss Brontë
  • The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles, #4)
“all of human experience existed as much in this small village as it did in larger towns,” 0 likes