Start by marking “Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)” as Want to Read:
Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)

Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones #18)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  6,520 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
The 18th installment in Barbara Park's popular beginning chapter-book series puts our temperamental heroine into a brand-new class where she has to make brand-new friends. And as if that weren't hard enough, her brand-new teacher, Mr. Scary ("He made that name up, I believe," Junie writes in a journal assignment), figures out that she needs eyeglasses. Will all the other k ...more
Published August 20th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

Olivia Lavelle
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one of my all time favorite books growing up as a young kid. This book did indeed have a lot of drama in it. For example, one of her best friends Lucille has replaced her with two twins, Camille and Chenille. Lucille does not want to be bothered with Junie B anymore, because they were once best friends in kindergarden. Grace and Junie B. use to be bus buddies in kindergarden, and now Grace has replaced her with a girl named Bobbi Jean Piper. Junie B. Jones is now all alone and feels wor ...more
Britt Guild
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
The Junie B. Jones series has always been recommended to me to encourage my daughter to love reading independently. I thought starting off the series in first grade with this book was perfect, but I was very disappointed. Not only did I not like the story of how Junie begins first grade with a new teacher (Mr. Scary), but I was shocked at how disrespectful and bratty Junie B. is throughout the book. My daughter picked up on these selfish and ugly qualities as well. We both agreed that this book ...more
Roy
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-children
Fantastic! This book is filled with laugh out loud moments. My daughter could not have been more amused by the antics and attitude of Junie B. Jones, and adults reading aloud will smile throughout as well. We will be plowing through the series with hope that all of them are as entertaining as this one.
David Schaafsma
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this with the three kids laughing uproariously, in a couple evenings, them asking me not to stop. Okay, I did not think it was all THAT funny, but I am, like, a Dad, and not a 1st, 2nd and 3rd grader…. score one for Barbara Park, who knows how to be hilarious for kids!
Andrea
May 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-over-6
The Junie B. Series has been a really good series to get my kids enjoying chapter books. I appreciate that about this series. Also I've heard the magic tree house series is good. Anyone else know of any good ones for 6ish year olds?
Brittany Gaskins
Oct 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: 11-20
Summary: Junie B. is starting first grade with a new teacher, some of the same friends, and a new look. She is struggling with friendships because of new twins in the room taking her place. She calls her teacher Mr. Scary and discovers her eye sight is failing her. Will she be made fun of with her new look?
Evaluation: I liked this book because she is a funny character with a perspective of school that kids can relate to and find comedic as well. It is an easy read and engaging for students.
Teach
Nicole
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read with C. So perfect since she is in grade 1 and has purple glasses too. These books are written so funny and as if a first grader is talking. Super fun read.
Kristanne Duncan
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Heather
There are several things I both like and don't like about this book. First, it was really funny. At least I thought so. My kids didn't think it was. But then, they think knock-knock jokes are hilarious.

Junie has some attitude issues that as a parent I don't want my kids to emulate. I don't want them to think it's funny to call people names or talk back to their parents or to be rude to their peers.

Also, her grammar is very bad. It's funny (to an adult), but to a young child they wouldn't know i
Jodi
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young readers
Lana Clifton
I can personally appreciate the grammatical errors and feistiness of the infamous Junie B. Jones. She is an honest, hold-nothing-back kinda gal who often gets a bad rap from traditional folk. I get her. I like her. I want six and seven year olds to know that language and grammar usage are allowed to break rules when giving their characters' voice. Why not? It worked for Mark Twain.
Rachel
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this aloud to my kindergartener and first grader. They were entranced by the storyline and by the basic conflicts between the characters, but their attention did sag a bit in the last chapter. I haven't read every Junie B. book, so I can't be sure, but I seem to remember the kindergarten series being a little sillier and less angsty than this one was. Just me, perhaps?
Andrew
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i wasn't embarrssed when i got my glasses
Tara Schaafsma
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought it was fun, but maybe I was swayed by my kids laughing at it so much.
Jenifer Jacobs
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Lily and I really liked this one!
Amber
Feb 12, 2017 added it
Title: Junie B., First Grader (at last!)
Author: Barbara Park
Illustrator: Denise Brunkus
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme(s): Conflict, friendship, glasses, growing older

Opening line/sentence:
Thursday
Dear first-grade journal,
Yesterday was the first day of school.

Brief Book Summary:
Junie B. Jones is finally starting first grade! She has to deal with a lot of new changes like new bus buddies, new friends, and new glasses! She struggles a lot with her new accessory but with help from her ne
Melanie
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I see Junie B. Jones books everywhere and so I picked one up used to see what it was all about. I'm glad I read it before my daughter though because I have decided there are better books out there for her. Junie is really kind of a brat. She has a bad attitude about things (calling them dumb or boring) and even makes fun of other kids in the story. She's nervous about getting glasses, and I know the author isn't trying to say that Junie is an ideal kid. She definitely gets herself into trouble.

N
Victoria Ouellette
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-series
Junie B. Jones, First Grader (at last!) by Barbara Park is the trying story of Junie B. as she enters first grade and finds out she needs glasses. Junie B. has a rough start to her first grade year: she loses her best friend to two twins, her bus friend sits with someone else, and she finds out she needs glasses! This story is a relatable one that any first grader could pick up and understand what she is going through. Her new friend Herb also provides a relatable characters as he is a new stud ...more
Heather
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Junie B., First Grader (at last!) by Barbara Park and illustrated by Denise Brunkus tells the story of Junie B. Jones starting first grade and experiencing many different changes including needing to get glasses. There are a few black and white illustrations in the book drawn in pencil of scenes from the story. This book is intended for early elementary students with simple vocab and sentences and short chapters. Young children will identify well with the young protagonist and her realistic reac ...more
Renee
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute story about Junie B. starting first grade and making some new friends in her class. My daughter especially liked the part where she got glasses. Probably because, she also has glasses and could relate to how Junie B. felt when she got them. Junie B. doesn't want to wear them because she thinks the kids will make fun of her, but she realises that she can see better with them on, they're not so bad.
Mj
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Junie B was a lot meaner than I remembered her being! I was not a reader of this series so much as a kid, what with my Boxcar Children and Bailey School Kids, but I picked this up as a refresher before giving it as a gift.

It does a fine job at demystifying one of the horrors of childhood. (Glasses, this time.) in not having any strong ties to the series though, I don't feel any nostalgic pull to revisit any more of it.
Crosby Maierle
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved Junie B Jones books growing up. This would be a great book to read with first graders. Junie B jones books are always so funny. It introduces chapter books to the students, but there are still some pictures.
Summer Hall
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I grew up on Junie B. she helped my reading all throughout elementary school. I think this is a great story about being who you are and not caring about what other people think. Your real friends are gonna like you no matter what so you shouldn't be afraid to be you.
Kaye
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
No doubt about it, Junie B. is a beast.But, the story is pertinent to 1st grade concerns with a nice conclusion, when a friend comes to her rescue.
Michelle Thomas
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read in Spanish with my daughter. Easy, entertaining read for a 6 yo girl.
Melanie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Junie gets GLASSES.
Aleisha
Molly Maloney
Title: Junie B., First Grader (at Last!)
Author: Barbara Park
Illustrator: Denise Brunkus
Genre: Transitional chapter book, fiction, humor.
Theme(s): Change, making friends, being yourself.
Opening line/sentence: "Thursday ... Dear first-grade journal, Yesterday was the first day of school."
Brief Book Summary: The book is about Junie B. Jones' transition into first grade. She is nervous to make new friends, has some trouble adjusting, and feels as though the world will end when she learns she has to
Cassandra S. Kiel
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with Junie B. in my opinion!
Mellanie C
Mar 06, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Junie B. 2 4 May 21, 2014 05:49PM
  • Horrible Harry Moves up to the Third Grade
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
  • The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • High Tide in Hawaii (Magic Tree House, #28)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Judy Moody Saves The World! (Judy Moody, #3)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...

Junie B. Jones (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
  • Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4)
  • Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • Junie B. Jones Is Not a Crook (Junie B. Jones, #9)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Party Animal (Junie B. Jones, #10)